The Josh Anderson Thread

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why not move Jenner before Anderson? I agree we should keep him.

Because our C depth is horrible, and Jenner is our second best one, and arguably our best leader on the ice. Jenner is the type of player you want when the going gets tough, and in the playoffs. I'm not saying he's off the table by any means, but I think he means more to us than he does for anyone else.

Foligno-Jenner-Anderson was an absolute force of nature last playoffs, and really squeezed Tampa to death, and gave Boston fits. There's no reason why this shouldn't be a thing again, unless you get blown away with an offer for Anderson (Top 6 LW, or 2nd line center).

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Because our C depth is horrible, and Jenner is our second best one, and arguably our best leader on the ice. Jenner is the type of player you want when the going gets tough, and in the playoffs. I'm not saying he's off the table by any means, but I think he means more to us than he does for anyone else.

Foligno-Jenner-Anderson was an absolute force of nature last playoffs, and really squeezed Tampa to death, and gave Boston fits. There's no reason why this shouldn't be a thing again, unless you get blown away with an offer for Anderson (Top 6 LW, or 2nd line center).

Sorry if this is nitpicking, because I agree with you that our center depth is bad and I’d move Anderson before Jenner, but Foligno-Jenner-Anderson wasn’t a line against Tampa last year. It was Texier-Foligno-Anderson and Dubinsky-Jenner-Nash as a fourth line.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Gaudreau would be THE perfect acquisition - if the suits in Calgary listen to the mob rather than expertise and put him on the block, that is. He's got gamebreaking skill and makes players around him better. I don't think he's Panarin-good but he's pretty close.

The Flames were pretty disjointed this year, suffering from age in key players and a roster that doesn't synergize all that well. If Gaudreau was found to be lacking in effort, he'd not only get a whipping from Torts but from most of the roster which is why I wouldn't be concerned with his compete level - it's not just screams and media callouts, it's team-wide work ethic that we have here.

Reactions: Toe Pick

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Sorry if this is nitpicking, because I agree with you that our center depth is bad and I’d move Anderson before Jenner, but Foligno-Jenner-Anderson wasn’t a line against Tampa last year. It was Texier-Foligno-Anderson and Dubinsky-Jenner-Nash as a fourth line.

I was going to say the same thing, regarding the playoff lines. But I do think that when those three have been together (Foligno-Jenner-Anderson), they have been a handful.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Hey all, is there any picks/ anyone of interest on the Sens that could realistically get a trade with Anderson done?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hey all, is there any picks/ anyone of interest on the Sens that could realistically get a trade with Anderson done?

Picks #33 + another second rounder might be enough.

It's all still guesswork. A lot of speculation that Anderson won't be coming back but we don't know, and half the franchises in the league would put in trade bids if he's on the market, so I really can't say what would be enough. If Columbus can re-sign him I don't think they move him for futures or any roster players you would part with.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
To me it is very clear that Anderson has no intention of making any commitment to this franchise. He wants the dollars and it is his right to seek as much as he can get. I just hope it is another franchise that signs that contract.

Reactions: Moch Daear

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

It's all still guesswork. A lot of speculation that Anderson won't be coming back but we don't know, and half the franchises in the league would put in trade bids if he's on the market, so I really can't say what would be enough. If Columbus can re-sign him I don't think they move him for futures or any roster players you would part with.

I’d personally do that, cheers for the response.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Two seconds for a near 30 goal scorer at 26 years old? You okay?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Two seconds for a near 30 goal scorer at 26 years old? You okay?

If he wasn't on our team how much would you pay to acquire him, keeping in mind he just lost a whole year to injuries to both shoulders?

Picks #33 + #50 is pretty much similar value to pick #21 and I don't see us particularly eager to trade our 1st rounder for a mystery box winger. And do you sign him long term at $5.5m per (super risky) or just rent him (worth it?). It's a tricky piece to take on.

Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If I’m trading Anderson - and I would - he’d be packaged with a DMan in order to get a top six forward, likely older from a trading team being one looking to get younger.

Reactions: We Want Ten

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If he wasn't on our team how much would you pay to acquire him, keeping in mind he just lost a whole year to injuries to both shoulders?

Picks #33 + #50 is pretty much similar value to pick #21 and I don't see us particularly eager to trade our 1st rounder for a mystery box winger. And do you sign him long term at $5.5m per (super risky) or just rent him (worth it?). It's a tricky piece to take on.

Depends on the team I had, but I’d give a top six player, a good prospect or draft pick. The dude skates like the wind, has a good shot, and is a physical force. He’s a rare breed player.

I don’t get this notion that signing Anderson is “super risky”. He had a bad shoulder, he didn’t blow a knee, ankle, have concussion issues, or a back issue. Shoulder injuries aren’t career ending injuries unless you’re a QB, pitcher, or basketball player.

Trading Anderson for picks is throwing away Anderson. Keeping him as a one year “rental” is better than throwing him away for two seconds.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Depends on the team I had, but I’d give a top six player, a good prospect or draft pick. The dude skates like the wind, has a good shot, and is a physical force. He’s a rare breed player.

I don’t get this notion that signing Anderson is “super risky”. He had a bad shoulder, he didn’t blow a knee, ankle, have concussion issues, or a back issue. Shoulder injuries aren’t career ending injuries unless you’re a QB, pitcher, or basketball player.

Trading Anderson for picks is throwing away Anderson. Keeping him as a one year “rental” is better than throwing him away for two seconds.

I'd like to keep him instead of trading him, and I could be persuaded to rent him for the year instead of taking draft picks. But I think you're understating the risk a little bit. He's had multiple shoulder injuries, and it's a major problem for a player that depends on throwing weight around in order to be effective. Josh Anderson can't be effective at 90% power, that was the problem last year.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'd like to keep him instead of trading him, and I could be persuaded to rent him for the year instead of taking draft picks. But I think you're understating the risk a little bit. He's had multiple shoulder injuries, and it's a major problem for a player that depends on throwing weight around in order to be effective. Josh Anderson can't be effective at 90% power, that was the problem last year.

IIRC, it’s the same injury. He suffered it against Boston, didn’t get surgery, and reinsures its in Ottawa

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

We've been down this road before with players. We can't just let everyone walk away for nothing if they don't want to commit to being here. Especially with a team as talentless as the CBJ at forward. He plays here another year and walks, our forwards aren't any better and we get nothing in return.

I do think he'll be moved for more than two 2nds because Jarmo wants help now, not draft picks. We need roster players.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Regarding Dreger's report that trade talks for Andy are on hold as Jarmo wants to see what he wants to stay:

Interesting but I don't see negotiations going well. Andy would be a 3rd line RW for the Jackets. How much do you pay a 3rd line RW? Especially one coming off a major injury? If he is looking for long term he'll probably want 5mm at least.I don't see it happening.

Reactions: Toe Pick

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Regarding Dreger's report that trade talks for Andy are on hold as Jarmo wants to see what he wants to stay:

Interesting but I don't see negotiations going well. Andy would be a 3rd line RW for the Jackets. How much do you pay a 3rd line RW? Especially one coming off a major injury? If he is looking for long term he'll probably want 5mm at least.I don't see it happening.
I think you’ve hit on one of the interesting aspects of the Anderson negotiation. How much do you want to invest in a 3RW? Or....could Andy be seen as a 2RW which would free up Cam or Bjork as a trade asset. No one here is a bigger Bjork fan than me, but package him with a DMan plus ?? and you have a package that can attract a 2C or even 1LW. (I’ll cry should it happen).

Last edited:
Reactions: EspenK

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Just because Anderson would be OUR 3rd line RW (For how long? Cam is fading fast.) doesn't mean he's a third line RW. Signing Anderson means we could try to shift Bemstrom to LW, his more natural position, and spread out our scoring. Also, as we all know, Anderson is more useful than just being a typical third line player. If he continues to have 2nd line production (or at least close to it) while bringing the other elements to his game, he'd be worth every penny.

If Anderson wants 5+ million per season, then I think we'd probably have to pass on that and trade him. Anything lower? Sign me up.

Reactions: rotsbu

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just because Anderson would be OUR 3rd line RW (For how long? Cam is fading fast.) doesn't mean he's a third line RW. Signing Anderson means we could try to shift Bemstrom to LW, his more natural position, and spread out our scoring. Also, as we all know, Anderson is more useful than just being a typical third line player. If he continues to have 2nd line production (or at least close to it) while bringing the other elements to his game, he'd be worth every penny.

If Anderson wants 5+ million per season, then I think we'd probably have to pass on that and trade him. Anything lower? Sign me up.

To me bottom line was his 27 goal season real or was it Jenner-esque? I'd guess in between.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I wonder where Anderson & Ferris are. Some UFA guys have acknowledged that a flat cap will likely mean a smaller contract amount than they were expecting ~7-8 months ago.

I know there is the Tom Wilson comp that so many (well, Porty at least) like to throw out there. That's something in the ballpark of a 5x5. With a flat cap though - and perhaps more of one internally - I don't know that Jarmo can offer that. Would Josh take a 4x4 (ish) type deal?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
To me bottom line was his 27 goal season real or was it Jenner-esque? I'd guess in between.

I would agree its in between, but I think he's 20+ goals from him per season isn't out of the question. He is way better offensively than Jenner is.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I would agree its in between, but I think he's 20+ goals from him per season isn't out of the question. He is way better offensively than Jenner is.

I agree with this. I think a typical season from JA would be 20+20, and any extra is gravy. But this assumes he's healthy, and that's the big question mark. But is it really? He was injured to hell last year, but I don't believe he has much of an injury history otherwise...

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad