The Josh Anderson Thread

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I’m wondering if there’s a deal to be made with either Calgary or Vancouver around Gaudreau or Boeser for Anderson
Probably not for Boeser. 1)if Anderson takes his qualifying offer, would be stupid to trade Boeser for potentially 1 year of Anderson. 2)if he signs a contract, it would be too much for Vancouver. From what the fans say, the point of trading Boeser would be to clear some cap space(Markstrom and Toffoli are free agents they want to keep). 3)I think only way is if Columbus takes a cap dump (Myers, Erickson, Sutter, not sure who else they have but none of those interests me).

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sabres fan just curious of what Columbus fans would be looking for in return in a potential Anderson trade.

Also inquiring as to the availability of Korpisalo as well. Could he be dealt?

looking more for organizational perspective as opposed to fan perspective (those can obviously vary quite greatly).

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Sabres fan just curious of what Columbus fans would be looking for in return in a potential Anderson trade.

looking more for organizational perspective as opposed to fan perspective (those can obviously vary quite greatly).

For Anderson it will take center prospect with top six potential or a good pick. Otherwise there is no reason to trade him. The Jackets are deep at defense, right wing, and bottom 6 forwards. If you are not going to offer something serious, the CBJ will bet he recovers from the injury and figure they can always trade him at the deadline. I think we are at 20+ Josh Anderson trade threads on the main board. Lots of teams want him. He won’t come cheap even if he signs for only one more year.

If one of the goalies gets hot in the playoffs, the other one could be available. There are a couple good prospects - Vehviläinen and Tarasov - in the system. The Jackets could go with Vehviläinen or a cheap veteran as a backup next year for whichever goalie wins the job. So if Elvis gets hot and the Jackets win a couple of rounds, Korpi could be available. Again we need a center or high picks. We are deep at defense, right wing, and bottom six forwards.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I could see both Anderson and Korpisalo on the move, yes.

I think the Jackets might be interested in restocking the draft picks, but the Sabres 2nd round pick isn't enough. And I don't know if they'd like Mittelstadt or not. But that is the sort of thing they'd be after - high upside prospects and picks. I'd guess a couple 2nds for Anderson, maybe a bit less for Korpisalo.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think we are at 20+ Josh Anderson trade threads on the main board.
Thirty since late October, at last count.
  1. Proposal: - Nylander,Johnsson,Robertson,Bracco to CBJ (borderline, since Andy is a throw-in rather than the centerpiece)
  2. Proposal: - Montreal & Columbus
  3. Value of: - Toronto Maple Leafs are too soft - need a Tom Wilson/Josh Anderson/Patric Hornqvist type player
  4. Value of: - Josh Anderson to BOS
  5. Value of: - Josh Anderson - Columbus
  6. Value of: - Bruins RW need
  7. Proposal: - Tor & Cbj
  8. Speculation: - Josh Anderson is on pace for 10 points, time for a change of scenery?
  9. Proposal: - CGY/DET or CGY/CBJ
  10. Proposal: - EDM - CBJ
  11. Proposal: - Leafs-Jackets (not in the OP, but the thread got hijacked by Andy talk shortly thereafter)
  12. Proposal: - CBJ - TOR (ditto above re: hijacked by Andy talk)
  13. Proposal: - J. Anderson for Jankowski
  14. Proposal: - Nick Foligno and Josh Anderson to the Sabres
  15. Proposal: - Columbus - Rangers
  16. Speculation: - CBJ Asks from EDM for Josh Anderson...
  17. Value of: - Josh Anderson
  18. Proposal: - Sam Bennett for Josh Anderson
  19. Proposal: - Habs & Columbus
  20. Proposal: - Mtl/Clb
  21. Value of: - Josh Anderson (CBJ) To Vancouver
  22. LeBrun: - CBJ likely to trade Josh Anderson
  23. Proposal: - MTL & CLB + FLAMES
  24. Proposal: - Habs -Flyers/Isles/Devils/Jackets/Avs
  25. Value of: - Ryan Murray and Josh Anderson to Montreal
  26. Value of: - Wennberg and/or Josh Anderson to Colorado
  27. Proposal: - CGY/CLB
  28. Proposal: - Habs-Jackets
  29. Proposal: - Cgy Trades
  30. Proposal: - Sabres-Montreal & Columbus
Also, I'm not seeing the benefit in going for "top-6 center prospects" since we've already got two good ones and have one spot to fill. Or "project centers", since we already have Wennberg and Grigorenko.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Thirty since late October, at last count.

Also, I'm not seeing the benefit in going for "top-6 center prospects" since we've already got two good ones and have one spot to fill. Or "project centers", since we already have Wennberg and Grigorenko.

I love that you are tracking the offers. I used to argue with Oilers fans who thought they could give us players we didn’t need for Anderson, but I got bored of that.

You can never have too many top 6 center prospects. We could let a kid have a full season in Cleveland or another year in whatever league he is in. Go with the old Detroit model and let a kid develop longer. And a prospect might be especially valuable now — he won’t have to be exposed to Seattle or could be traded for a valuable forward that another team can’t protect.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I love that you are tracking the offers. I used to argue with Oilers fans who thought they could give us players we didn’t need for Anderson, but I got bored of that.

You can never have too many top 6 center prospects. We could let a kid have a full season in Cleveland or another year in whatever league he is in. Go with the old Detroit model and let a kid develop longer. And a prospect might be especially valuable now — he won’t have to be exposed to Seattle or could be traded for a valuable forward that another team can’t protect.

If they played in NHL/AHL in 2018-19 or earlier they aren't exempt. Mittelstadt is a good example of that.

In any case, I don't think that matters much. If we acquire Mittelstadt and Seattle then plucks him from us, that's not bad value for us. It means we aren't losing any regulars.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If they played in NHL/AHL in 2018-19 or earlier they aren't exempt. Mittelstadt is a good example of that.

In any case, I don't think that matters much. If we acquire Mittelstadt and Seattle then plucks him from us, that's not bad value for us. It means we aren't losing any regulars.

I am thinking of Cozens as the center prospect. But maybe I am being greedy. And I realize it might be Korpi + Anderson for Cozens and maybe they would want us to add.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am thinking of Cozens as the center prospect. But maybe I am being greedy. And I realize it might be Korpi + Anderson for Cozens and maybe they would want us to add.

Cozens wouldn't be on the table. It's not about adding, we'd need a much better base for the deal.

Reactions: Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Anderson just got added to the camp roster, whatever that means.

Again, I said I am being greedy. I am not looking for fair value. I am looking at what the Jackets need. The Jackets have the sought after player. If the trade doesn’t make the Jackets better, it doesn’t happen.

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Anderson just got added to the camp roster, whatever that means.

Again, I said I am being greedy. I am not looking for fair value. I am looking at what the Jackets need. The Jackets have the sought after player. If the trade doesn’t make the Jackets better, it doesn’t happen.

Unless he and his agent insist on being paid more than the CBJ are willing to pay.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Then we keep him, bet that he plays well next year looking for his next contract, and trade him at the deadline for the best offer from a western conference team.
If it were only that easy. We can't force him to accept a salary. I want nothing to do with a Nylander situation like what happened in Toronto. There have been bad negotiations with him once already. Jarmo already pulled the leverage card. Twice will be a disaster. If it gets to that point he won't be here any longer.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If it were only that easy. We can't force him to accept a salary. I want nothing to do with a Nylander situation like what happened in Toronto. There have been bad negotiations with him once already. Jarmo already pulled the leverage card. Twice will be a disaster. If it gets to that point he won't be here any longer.

It all has the vibe of wanting to dump your partner because you're afraid they'll dump you.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It all has the vibe of wanting to dump your partner because you're afraid they'll dump you.
Sometimes if 2 partners want different things it is best they go separate ways. It won't be successful partnership if both sides aren't happy. He was already unhappy he didn't get want he wanted the first time.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Then we keep him, bet that he plays well next year looking for his next contract, and trade him at the deadline for the best offer from a western conference team.

What if this upcoming season is like the past couple with the team on the playoff bubble at the trade deadline? I don't want Jarmo to be in a position where he feels he needs to keep Anderson to make the playoffs and get the home game $$$ even if it's only two games. Or even worse what if Anderson stinks it up again and has little to no trade value? I don't think that will happen but I didn't think a 1/3/4 stat line was possible for him this season given the player he can be.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been struggling to find an analogy to describe this "Penny wise, pound foolish" mindset with regard to Big Josh.

It's like we're afraid he'll only be worth a penny, so we rush to sell him for a nickel. If there's even a 25% chance he'll be back to being a dollar for us, on the market or on the ice (I think it's more than 25%), we're better off hanging on to the player. And I don't care if they have a nasty negotiation. That's Bill Zito's job. That's Darren Ferris' job. And maybe Porty will write some dramatic articles about it, but if it's not that he'll find something else to dramatize. I think we can be chill about this.

I suspect that the market for big money middle six F's is going down the drain this offseason, and the deadline rental market is where Josh would get best value. So it's either that or keeping him long term or letting him go after a year. In any of those instances we get more value than selling this offseason.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I’m wondering if there’s a deal to be made with either Calgary or Vancouver around Gaudreau or Boeser for Anderson

What’s the main piece coming from the CBJ in these scenarios? Anderson? If so, the other GMs laugh in Jarmo’s face.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

These are the situations I don't trust Jarmo. Seems like we need someone with hands of a surgeon and we have hands of stone Jarmo who wants to play hardball.

I hope I'm wrong, well first I hope Anderson recovers and is the player we saw in the past, then I hope we get him signed long-term.

Too many of these deals where Jarmo seems too interested in winning a negotiation. At the same time Jarmo is all too eager to pass out 3-4 year deals with bottom 6 forwards...

Reactions: majormajor

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
These are the situations I don't trust Jarmo. Seems like we need someone with hands of a surgeon and we have hands of stone Jarmo who wants to play hardball.

I hope I'm wrong, well first I hope Anderson recovers and is the player we saw in the past, then I hope we get him signed long-term.

Too many of these deals where Jarmo seems too interested in winning a negotiation. At the same time Jarmo is all too eager to pass out 3-4 year deals with bottom 6 forwards...
I get the impression that Kekalainen does that mostly with second contracts, and that afterwards he's all "you have proven your worth, have all the moneys".

Reactions: Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->