The Joe Veleno rule?

Should there be a rule to prevent players from winning medals in special situations?

• Yes

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 73 72.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
If he was caught using PED’s he’d not have a medal.

Yet he’s awarded a medal after committing what’s arguably most brazenly dangerous, unsafe and taboo on-ice act in our sport?

Something doesn't add up here IIHF.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
it is no coincidence that it was a 5 game suspension. That's exactly the number of games that were left to play if Canada went all the way. If he had done it in the first game, he probably would have gotten 9 games. But that's beside the point anyway. I am not even talking about this particular case.

Clearly most people completely missed the point here and are taking it as an attack on Veleno or even team Canada, which it is not.
Right but that is entirely hypothetical we have no idea how many games he would have gotten in that scenario. I get your point and I didn't take it as an attack, I just think logically speaking he earned his medal.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He still deserves his medal. Ridiculous. Claude Lemieux drilled Kris Draper head first into the boards with what was way worse than what Veleno did and he still got a Cup that year, as he should have, eventhough I dislike him greatly.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
No, that would be the Russians’ behaviour after they won the silver medal in Prague. As a general point, the Russian team rarely gets criticized for their consistently arrogant and unpleasant behaviour. The only team I have always been actively cheering against in the 40 years I have been watching every ice hockey match I had access to.. I don’t miss their absence at all (but that’s a whole other topic).

Re: Veleno - I don’t care if he gets a medal or not. At all. I did think though that 5 games seemed like a fairly mild suspension, I am pretty sure that the NHL has punished similar infarctions more harshly in the past.
I'd actually say Andersson tossing his medal into the stands wasn't even that bad... Hayton and 'forgetting' to take his helmet off during the anthem comes to mind. He was the captain.lol

I'm losing track of all the Team Russia stuff at this point. Our coflight evacuated because of smoking on the plane comes to mind.lol Them not being called Team Russia. Them not having an anthem. Them not having national jerseys. What is it, OAR? Them sending U18 teams to U20 tourneys too (because U20 team was suspended). Now they are suspended indefinitely. The Russian ladies during covid and team Canada having to wear masks at the Olympics. And of course, Kovalchuk leading the boys off the ice before the Canadian anthem was played in Prague. Another misunderstanding. Note that Ovi and Malkin (and a few others) stayed.

I'm told those were all Rusophobia though and, in fact, Russia never did any of these things. Just a long series of misunderstandings.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yep. Just like all the slashings in the dying minutes of deciding games they were losing.
Funny, because I was thinking of Ryan Smyth in 2005 (unofficialy best on best in Vienna during NHL lockout) losing his mind on Jiri Fischer and just slashing away like crazy.lol Game was over at that point. And I say this as a big Smyth fan as I'm an Oiler fan.lol I counted 8 slashes and 2 crosschecks.lmao

Reactions: Old Man Jags

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
Veleno didn`t let his team down. Why he should dropped from getting medal?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
As I was watching our pal Joe Veleno being presented with a gold medal yesterday, I suddenly realized how weird the situation was. He committed one of the dirtiest fouls that I have ever seen on international ice and he gets rewarded with a gold?

Obviously I wouldn't take away his medal now, it's too late for that, but what if there was a rule to prevent these kinds of uncomfortable situations in the future?

Maybe IIHF should introduce a rule that if a player is deemed to have committed an especially egregious act, whether it be on or off the ice, during the course of a tournament, the player would not only be suspended from playing in the remainder of the games, but also be disqualified from any potential awards, whether they be individual or team awards.

This would only be reserved for special situations like in this case. It wouldn't automatically be applied to all suspensions for illegal hits and such.
You're trying way, way, too hard.

He was suspended. It penalized him and the team. He didn't cheat. He didn't do something to get kicked off the roster. Trust me when I tell you he very much wished he would have been on the ice playing and that it feels slightly less than as a result.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Reactions: Czechboy

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
We'd all be singing a different tune, had the results of his action been far worse. Had it it been worse, I think we're stepping into McSorely/Bertuzzi territory. Luckily nothing happened and I'm still trying to compare this to Matt Cooke in my head

Reactions: saintunspecified

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Funny, because I was thinking of Ryan Smyth in 2005 (unofficialy best on best in Vienna during NHL lockout) losing his mind on Jiri Fischer and just slashing away like crazy.lol Game was over at that point. And I say this as a big Smyth fan as I'm an Oiler fan.lol I counted 8 slashes and 2 crosschecks.lmao

I've never had a problem with what Smyth did on that play and still don't, the czech player was aggressively using his stick on his body with the blade straight in at his stomach and even swung high at his head area after that.

Play like that................expect the horns, that's how we roll here.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006

Yes, 2005 was unbelievable, just nuts. Couldn’t cope with the defeat, and he was the captain.

I've never had a problem with what Smyth did on that play and still don't, the czech player was aggressively using his stick on his body with the blade straight in at his stomach and even swung high at his head area after that.

Play like that................expect the horns, that's how we roll here.
You probably didn’t have a problem with the Canadian behaviour in 1997 when they went for Vujtek, either. Defending your own team and correctly pointing out issues with other teams is fine. But judging by many of your posts, clearly no Canadian can ever do any wrong whatsoever, except perhaps in very, very limited circumstances like Veleno. Must be nice, supporting a team of such flawless virtue. At least you can rest assured that if anyone here dares criticise anything a Canadian player does, it just MUST be because they [hate Canada] [are jealous of Canada][have some Canadian complex][are trolling] (insert preferred reason that does not relate at all to the actual behaviour of the relevant Canadian player). It can never be that in the eye if the person commenting, the Canadian player did something they did not feel was OK. It can never be that people from other countries might simply genuinely find a certain behaviour unacceptable, even if for Canadians it’s fine (as long as a Canadian does it of course - not sure how you’d all feel if a European player displays the same attitude towards a Canadian one).

Last edited:

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Veleno didn`t let his team down. Why he should dropped from getting medal?
How is committing a dirty foul and weakening the team by drawing a penalty and suspension not letting the team down? As I said elsewhere, I have no problem with him getting a medal either way, but surely he has let his team down. I think that every time a player on the team I support commits an unnecessary foul and weakens the team by drawing a significant penalty.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yes, 2005 was unbelievable, just nuts. Couldn’t cope with the defeat, and he was the captain.

You probably didn’t have a problem with the Canadian behaviour in 1997 when they went for Vujtek, either. Defending your own team and correctly pointing out issues with other teams is fine. But judging by many of your posts, clearly no Canadian can ever do any wrong whatsoever, except perhaps in very, very limited circumstances like Veleno. Must be nice, supporting a team of such flawless virtue. At least you can rest assured that if anyone here dares criticise anything a Canadian player does, it just MUST be because they [hate Canada] [are jealous of Canada][have some Canadian complex][are trolling] (insert preferred reason that does not relate at all to the actual behaviour of the relevant Canadian player). It can never be that in the eye if the person commenting, the Canadian player did something they did not feel was OK. It can never be that people from other countries might simply genuinely find a certain behaviour unacceptable, even if for Canadians it’s fine (as long as a Canadian does it of course - not sure how you’d all feel if a European player displays the same attitude towards a Canadian one).
No I don't, here's one scrum between both teams, the czech player went after our player..............what do you expect? us to be lay down sallys?

You guys learned a long time ago we don't do that.

what about your guys behaviour such as Gretzky pointed out in the 2002 olympics and he was spot on too!! you talk about us as being goons but you engage in the same shit and think we re obliged to just sit and take it with no repercussions but if we do the same thing you cry bloody murder.

We ain't backing down from your crap, you know that. stop acting like you're angels..............you're not. I don't expect you guys to back down from our crap either.

Again, no issue with Smyth for me on that sequence..............Czech player got what he asked for. He engaged our player and was engaged in kind, that is the way it goes.

Hockey is an intense game, it's not ringette.

Last edited:

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
No I don't, here's one scrum between both teams, the czech player went after our player..............what do you expect? us to be lay down sallys?

You guys learned a long time ago we don't do that.

what about your guys behaviour such as Gretzky pointed out in the 2002 olympics and he was spot on too!! you talk about us as being goons but you engage in the same shit and think we re obliged to just sit and take it with no repercussions but if we do the same thing you cry bloody murder.

We ain't backing down from your crap, you know that. stop acting like you're angels..............you're not. I don't expect you guys to back down from our crap either.

Again, no issue with Smyth for me on that sequence..............Czech player got what he asked for. He engaged our player and was engaged in kind, that is the way it goes.

Hockey is an intense game, it's not ringette.

Yep, got it. Canadian players are saints who only ever do anything when first provoked by some dirty Europeans. They are capable of losing with honour and never start anything themselves, any crap they pull is always completely justified because inevitably, they were provoked by dirty Europeans.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yep, got it. Canadian players are saints who only ever do anything when first provoked by some dirty Europeans. They are capable of losing with honour and never start anything themselves, any crap they pull is always completely justified because inevitably, they were provoked by dirty Europeans.
I never said they were saints but to think they can't be and are never provoked is a fallacy.

Which is a fact of life in hockey at the international level far too many Europeans deny.

No team out there are some holier then thou goodie goodies. It's hockey for gods sake.........what do you expect?

Jimmy71

Apr 2, 2022
Well we don't lose often so that's that lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad