The Joe Veleno rule?

Should there be a rule to prevent players from winning medals in special situations?

• Yes

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 73 72.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
As I was watching our pal Joe Veleno being presented with a gold medal yesterday, I suddenly realized how weird the situation was. He committed one of the dirtiest fouls that I have ever seen on international ice and he gets rewarded with a gold?

Obviously I wouldn't take away his medal now, it's too late for that, but what if there was a rule to prevent these kinds of uncomfortable situations in the future?

Maybe IIHF should introduce a rule that if a player is deemed to have committed an especially egregious act, whether it be on or off the ice, during the course of a tournament, the player would not only be suspended from playing in the remainder of the games, but also be disqualified from any potential awards, whether they be individual or team awards.

This would only be reserved for special situations like in this case. It wouldn't automatically be applied to all suspensions for illegal hits and such.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I do think that players who have received major suspensions for egregious foul play should not be awarded medals while suspended. That would surely apply in this particular case.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Athletes who take steroids get their medals taken away while they are suspended. Why shouldn't they not receive a medal if they do something that got them suspended for the tournament.

Reactions: Thechozen1

Jimmy71

Apr 2, 2022
Seems like an attempt to gain something, anything from the agony of Canada winning the tournament again.

Lame as f***.

He got tossed from the tournament, that's more then satisfactory.................move on.
These people are so annoying. Canada rules the hockey world and like u said JJ they always try and make it something bad about Canada

Reactions: Ayiluss and jj cale

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
If he got a 5 game suspension from the start of the tournament served it and came back and played in the medal round he would get his medal. So the reverse of that has to be the case as well. Seems pretty clear the player should still get the medal. He contributed to the teams win.
it is no coincidence that it was a 5 game suspension. That's exactly the number of games that were left to play if Canada went all the way. If he had done it in the first game, he probably would have gotten 9 games. But that's beside the point anyway. I am not even talking about this particular case.

Clearly most people completely missed the point here and are taking it as an attack on Veleno or even team Canada, which it is not.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Reminds me of Lias Andersson, captain of the Swedish world junior team in 2018 who threw his silver medal over the glass into the crowd because he was so salty his team lost the gold medal game to Canada. Probably one of the most pathetic displays in international hockey history.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
He has to eat his entire medal whole to attone for his "egregious" incident, on camera. No drink.

Or....just maybe....he served his suspension and played a game so he gets a medal.

Reactions: Oddbob

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Reminds me of Lias Andersson, captain of the Swedish world junior team in 2018 who threw his silver medal over the glass into the crowd because he was so salty his team lost the gold medal game to Canada. Probably one of the most pathetic displays in international hockey history.
No, that would be the Russians’ behaviour after they won the silver medal in Prague. As a general point, the Russian team rarely gets criticized for their consistently arrogant and unpleasant behaviour. The only team I have always been actively cheering against in the 40 years I have been watching every ice hockey match I had access to.. I don’t miss their absence at all (but that’s a whole other topic).

Re: Veleno - I don’t care if he gets a medal or not. At all. I did think though that 5 games seemed like a fairly mild suspension, I am pretty sure that the NHL has punished similar infarctions more harshly in the past.

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad