The Joe Rogan Podcast Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Good ol' Shermer for the win. lol

I just find it odd that in the bronze age they are learning farming and by the iron age they have already perfected pyramid building. Something we would have trouble building today yet they had no problem doing it with thousands of elephants and copper tools.

Or maybe you underestimate the capabilities of humanity. We didn’t even have electricity 160 years ago. Since then we’ve had assembly lines, photography, telephone, radio, cars, planes, television, computers, and the internet. Which is not even counting the fundamental changes in the understanding of space-time, gravity, quantum mechanics, the cosmos. Or our almost complete understanding of the human body we have compared to 1869.

It may occasionally take humanity long amounts of time to learn a new fundamental concept, but once’s it’s learned we accelerate towards newer and better achievements at an exponential rate.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Fair enough but what he is doing is allowing Hancock and Carlson to express themselves. The idea that there may have been older civilizations that were destroyed because of a great cataclysm is interesting. They are trying to show with the evidence available that it may be the case. In total he has them on his pod cast for about 20 hours over maybe 8 episodes.

Hancock had a theory that those civilizations where destroyed by pole shifts, floods or something. When he along with Carlson suggested it may have been a comet people said where is the evidence. 2018 comes along and NASA discovers this:

The crater is what was needed to show they might be on to something. New information always has it's detractors because it can literally wipe out a career's worth of study in a second. No one wants that and it usually only happens once people have died. What benefit do Egyptians have in accepting that there was a advanced civilization before them, none. There claim to fame is they were the first. Gobekli Tepei comes along which predates them by 4000+ years and it gets people thinking. What Egyptologist would want another culture to take that away?

What if Egyptians moved into the pyramids because they were already there and claimed them as there own? What if cavemen were people who were forced to take shelter in caves because it was the only way to survive a great impact? What if the Pyramids were built to withstand anything because people knew comets could destroy them?

We are trained to believe we evolved from apes or from Adam & Eve but both could also be bullshit. You don't go from living in caves to hunting and gathering to pyramids in a span a a few thousand years.

Understand what they are saying before you disregard their theory. If they are full of shit so be it. It doesn't make it any less interesting.

The two Greenland craters have an age range based on dating between 50,000 and 79,000 years according to NASA. The Young Dryas Impact hypothesis I'm sure you're referring to is just that, a hypothesis. There is no substantiated evidence that it was a real event, research that has been done on it has often failed peer review and been debunked, and it remains unproven. Those Greenland impact craters are certainly not evidence of it, regardless of what youtube video you watched claiming that they were.

You use the term "cavemen" as if it was ever common for humans to live in caves, it was not. Only a very small number of humans have ever lived in caves as suitable caves are not common throughout the world, and they are far from hospitable environments for humans to live in.

"Egyptians moved into pyramids"? My f***ing god. Egyptians did not live in pyramids, and pyramids were only constructed as tombs for pharaohs, and most of them are not even buried in pyramids because they were widely robbed even in the ancient world, so they mostly used underground tombs in the Valley of the Kings. Pyramids are built the way they are because based on the engineering and materials of the time it's the strongest design that there is, and pharaohs intended for their tombs to last forever.

"Apes or Adam & Eve"... Yikes. You are presenting two things like they are equivalent ideas when they are not, please go do some research on the theory of evolution and natural selection. For one, natural selection is a fact. There is no disputing this, the science is settled and our entire understanding of biology and all of the developments from it are based on it. The theory of evolution is one of the most substantiated scientific theories that there is, there is overwhelming evidence to support it. Homo Sapiens did not "evolve from apes", Home Sapiens are apes (hominids specifically). We share a common ancestor with other extant primate species.

Where did you get "a few thousand years" from? Seriously, did you just make that number up? Anatomically modern humans date back at least 190,000 years, and possibly as far back as 500,000 years. What we classify as the beginning of civilization development (i.e. complex societies that are agrarian and urban) dates back to about 12,000 years ago to the Neolithic Revolution, with the earliest known civilization (Sumer) dating back about 6,500 years ago. Even saying that, there were many developing civilizations before that in the Neolithic period in Mesopotamia, Egypt, Syria and the Levant, Anatolia, Iran, the Indus River basin, the Yellow River basin, etc. The growth of civilizations is a slow development process over time, it's not like one day a switch was flipped and suddenly Ancient Egypt existed. So when you talk about Ancient Egypt being the first "advanced civilization", I really have no idea what the f*** you are talking about.

Gobekli Tepe is an interesting site and not at all support for what pseudoarcheologists claim. It's a site that was not built all at one time and like most ancient sites was developed over thousands of years to the outline that we have discovered today, with much of it still uncovered. Our current understanding of the site was that it was constructed by a predominantly hunter-gatherer society that lived in the area in villages close to their hunting ground for at least a portion of the year. Based on the evidence found at the site of bones from a wide range of game, the layout and structures there, and the carvings and drawings, it is thought to have been a central gathering place for the hunter-gatherer societies living in the region, and faded from use after animal husbandry and agriculture developed. It's exact use and such is still not know though. There is also a similar site near the Euphrates in Turkey (Nevalı Çori) that is a few hundred years younger and shares many of the same characteristics. What sites like this say to me, is that our understanding of hunter-gatherer societies is flawed and outdated, and that typical assumptions about hunter-gatherer societies are not the complete picture. It comes off as insulting to these societies as well to dismiss the possibility that they constructed these sites and that some hidden ancient civilization that there is no evidence for must have done it instead, because it's not like the humans who lived there were any less intelligent or capable than we are.

I do understand what they are saying, and they are full of shit.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
12000 years ago correlates with the end of the younger dryas period. It's a scientific fact that there were great floods because of melting ice. Carlson suggests that because human civilizations built around water ways he thinks many of those societies where destroyed by floods.
It is not a scientific fact that there were "great floods", where did you get that from? There is absolutely no evidence of great worldwide floods, none. Localized floods in places that are prone to flooding have always been common and still occur today, and glacial lake outburst flooding was very common at the end of the last ice age, but still occurs today in places with glaciers.

Good ol' Shermer for the win. lol

I just find it odd that in the bronze age they are learning farming and by the iron age they have already perfected pyramid building. Something we would have trouble building today yet they had no problem doing it with thousands of elephants and copper tools.
See my previous post, your entire understanding of human development is way off. We developed agriculture in the Neolithic Revolution about 12,000 years ago, the earliest Bronze Age dates back about 5,300 years ago, and the earliest Iron Age about 3,200 years ago. Most of the pyramids in Ancient Egypt were built during the Bronze Age, including the Great Pyramid at Giza.

You severely underestimate the intelligence and capabilities of humans. How the pyramids were constructed, where the stone was quarried, and how it was transported is pretty well understood.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The two Greenland craters have an age range based on dating between 50,000 and 79,000 years according to NASA. The Young Dryas Impact hypothesis I'm sure you're referring to is just that, a hypothesis. There is no substantiated evidence that it was a real event, research that has been done on it has often failed peer review and been debunked, and it remains unproven. Those Greenland impact craters are certainly not evidence of it, regardless of what youtube video you watched claiming that they were.

You use the term "cavemen" as if it was ever common for humans to live in caves, it was not. Only a very small number of humans have ever lived in caves as suitable caves are not common throughout the world, and they are far from hospitable environments for humans to live in.

"Egyptians moved into pyramids"? My f***ing god. Egyptians did not live in pyramids, and pyramids were only constructed as tombs for pharaohs, and most of them are not even buried in pyramids because they were widely robbed even in the ancient world, so they mostly used underground tombs in the Valley of the Kings. Pyramids are built the way they are because based on the engineering and materials of the time it's the strongest design that there is, and pharaohs intended for their tombs to last forever.

"Apes or Adam & Eve"... Yikes. You are presenting two things like they are equivalent ideas when they are not, please go do some research on the theory of evolution and natural selection. For one, natural selection is a fact. There is no disputing this, the science is settled and our entire understanding of biology and all of the developments from it are based on it. The theory of evolution is one of the most substantiated scientific theories that there is, there is overwhelming evidence to support it. Homo Sapiens did not "evolve from apes", Home Sapiens are apes (hominids specifically). We share a common ancestor with other extant primate species.

Where did you get "a few thousand years" from? Seriously, did you just make that number up? Anatomically modern humans date back at least 190,000 years, and possibly as far back as 500,000 years. What we classify as the beginning of civilization development (i.e. complex societies that are agrarian and urban) dates back to about 12,000 years ago to the Neolithic Revolution, with the earliest known civilization (Sumer) dating back about 6,500 years ago. Even saying that, there were many developing civilizations before that in the Neolithic period in Mesopotamia, Egypt, Syria and the Levant, Anatolia, Iran, the Indus River basin, the Yellow River basin, etc. The growth of civilizations is a slow development process over time, it's not like one day a switch was flipped and suddenly Ancient Egypt existed. So when you talk about Ancient Egypt being the first "advanced civilization", I really have no idea what the f*** you are talking about.

Gobekli Tepe is an interesting site and not at all support for what pseudoarcheologists claim. It's a site that was not built all at one time and like most ancient sites was developed over thousands of years to the outline that we have discovered today, with much of it still uncovered. Our current understanding of the site was that it was constructed by a predominantly hunter-gatherer society that lived in the area in villages close to their hunting ground for at least a portion of the year. Based on the evidence found at the site of bones from a wide range of game, the layout and structures there, and the carvings and drawings, it is thought to have been a central gathering place for the hunter-gatherer societies living in the region, and faded from use after animal husbandry and agriculture developed. It's exact use and such is still not know though. There is also a similar site near the Euphrates in Turkey (Nevalı Çori) that is a few hundred years younger and shares many of the same characteristics. What sites like this say to me, is that our understanding of hunter-gatherer societies is flawed and outdated, and that typical assumptions about hunter-gatherer societies are not the complete picture. It comes off as insulting to these societies as well to dismiss the possibility that they constructed these sites and that some hidden ancient civilization that there is no evidence for must have done it instead, because it's not like the humans who lived there were any less intelligent or capable than we are.

I do understand what they are saying, and they are full of shit.

I see you took some time to read up since your last post. Bravo

When I say moved into the pyramids I obviously meant inhabiting the surrounding area/take ownership.

You are bringing up a lot of extra stuff to prove something I'm not trying to defend.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I see you took some time to read up since your last post. Bravo

When I say moved into the pyramids I obviously meant inhabiting the surrounding area/take ownership.

You are bringing up a lot of extra stuff to prove something I'm not trying to defend.
Yes, read up to confirm dates to make sure what I was responding with was accurate. Most of that information isn't new, I'm very interested in history and have read into the subject quite a bit.

You said a lot of things that are not historical or accurate about humanity, biology, history, archeology, etc. and did not bother to respond to a single point I made in response to those inaccuracies.

Human settlement along the Nile River is thousands of years older than the pyramids, in fact almost 4,000 years older than the youngest known pyramid based on the best evidence we have today, with the assumption that people settled the area at least 3,000 years earlier than even that but there isn't much archeological evidence left from that earlier time period. So I still don't know what you are talking about here, as it does not align with the historical record.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yes, read up to confirm dates to make sure what I was responding with was accurate. Most of that information isn't new, I'm very interested in history and have read into the subject quite a bit.

You said a lot of things that are not historical or accurate about humanity, biology, history, archeology, etc. and did not bother to respond to a single point I made in response to those inaccuracies.

Human settlement along the Nile River is thousands of years older than the pyramids, in fact almost 4,000 years older than the youngest known pyramid based on the best evidence we have today, with the assumption that people settled the area at least 3,000 years earlier than even that but there isn't much archeological evidence left from that earlier time period. So I still don't know what you are talking about here, as it does not align with the historical record.
You are elaborating way to much on the things I say so you can further prove something I'm not arguing.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You are elaborating way to much on the things I say so you can further prove something I'm not arguing.
So you are conceding that Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson are spewing unsubstantiated bullshit that is completely counter to known history, archeology, biology, geology, etc?

You tried to make a bunch of points thinking I didn't understand their pseudoarcheology/history and to explain why you thought their fantasy stories were interesting, and they were not even close to informed.

Reactions: member 51464

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Some guests are quite interesting, some guests are good story tellers, those I usually will watch multiple clips. Some guests I find are whiny, self indulgent or intellectually dishonest, those are the ones where I usually don’t make it through a single YouTube clip. Sometimes I don’t mind his buddy shows, sometimes they get old fast.

I like the format, I like the variety. But Joe definitely becomes too much Joe at certain points.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Unless you're able to actually substantiate how your views are truly being misrepresented, this is just lazily crying wolf to give yourself an excuse to ignore a point that you don't want to deal with.

Reactions: Blender

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The biggest downside to this podcast is that it gave Brendan Schaub a second career in the public eye.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What exactly are you arguing? It seems like every time somebody refutes your statements you either ignore them, change the subject, or suddenly decide you no longer want to talk about it.
I'm just trying to say he doesn't have to hold some code of ethics a few posters seem to think exist. It's the way they discredit everything he does with one giant swoop. I enjoyed the Hancock & Carlson episodes. The notion that during the ice age see levels where 3-400 feet lower means an argument could be made that some civilizations could have been affected as the result of an instant flood. Researchers theorize that the melting occurred over hundreds if not thousands of years where as Carlson is refuting it by showing evidence he has found that it could have been a lot more rapid. I've researched everything that has been posted in this thread so it's not like I'm learning anything new from people who clearly want to argue about the origins of civilization like it's a closed book. That's not a hassle I'm looking for especially before I'm about to go to bed. Anyone who elaborates so much from a sentence or two isn't looking to talk they are looking to win some supercilious battle only they are playing.

Again, I've enjoyed all of their episodes covering the topic and if they are beneath some people or they don't feel the need to understand fully what they are talking about that is fine too.

This all started from a post where one thinks he is not upholding some form of standards. Everything I posted after that dove into an argument. If their are issue's with what was being said on those podcast then say it but instead they chose to go after me for liking something they don't like or respect.

I like the podcast for reasons other don't. Entertainment.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The biggest downside to this podcast is that it gave Brendan Schaub a second career in the public eye.
I agree but I do really like fighter and the Kid and King and the Sting. He should never have started stand up comedy but when you're friends with a bunch of comedians it makes for an easy transition i guess.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm just trying to say he doesn't have to hold some code of ethics a few posters seem to think exist. It's the way they discredit everything he does with one giant swoop. I enjoyed the Hancock & Carlson episodes. The notion that during the ice age see levels where 3-400 feet lower means an argument could be made that some civilizations could have been affected as the result of an instant flood. Researchers theorize that the melting occurred over hundreds if not thousands of years where as Carlson is refuting it by showing evidence he has found that it could have been a lot more rapid. I've researched everything that has been posted in this thread so it's not like I'm learning anything new from people who clearly want to argue about the origins of civilization like it's a closed book. That's not a hassle I'm looking for especially before I'm about to go to bed. Anyone who elaborates so much from a sentence or two isn't looking to talk they are looking to win some supercilious battle only they are playing.

Again, I've enjoyed all of their episodes covering the topic and if they are beneath some people or they don't feel the need to understand fully what they are talking about that is fine too.

This all started from a post where one thinks he is not upholding some form of standards. Everything I posted after that dove into an argument. If their are issue's with what was being said on those podcast then say it but instead they chose to go after me for liking something they don't like or respect.

I like the podcast for reasons other don't. Entertainment.
Carlson has no legitimate evidence, and you clearly haven't researched this topic well enough based on the information in your posts. Watching youtube videos from bad sources does not count as research. Who said anything about a "closed book"? We learn new things all the time, just none of that comes from people like Hanock and Carlson, because if it did they would have peer reviewed research published.

Again claiming that it's other people that don't understand, while it's clearly you that do not understand those topics, and thus fall for charlatans who have never substantiated a single claim they have made.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is the one genuine critique, that even Joe says he has. When its a topic that he doesn't know enough about where he ends up just asking curiosity based questions. Now my counter to this is, at least for me it exposes the people who are full of crap or don't know what they are talking or just living in fantasy land and genuinely believe what they say. A good example on a less serious topic was his podcast with Jack Dorsey that many weren't fans of, that he ended up agreeing with, and he brought him back for another podcast.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
the podcast with Lennox Lewis and Rusell Peters was pretty good.

A lot of Rogan's podcasts are solid, Joe knows how to interview. He's a bit of a meathead but that's not a big problem.

The big problem is how he legitimized some 100% wrong points of views for the clicks. When you have a platform like he does, it is a real shame that he sometimes uses it to elevate some awful people. And since being a good interviewer usually means making your guests comfortable, he doesn't push back as hard as he should a lot of the time.

Reactions: Blender

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
One of many of his podcasts featuring Graham Hancock and Randal Carlson.

It's a really interesting podcast. There is nothing crazy in what they are talking about.

thanks for the link as i'm about half way through this one, pretty interesting stuff. I don't know either of them and it's not a subject I have spent much time on but it's interesting for sure.

Reactions: Stylizer1

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A lot of Rogan's podcasts are solid, Joe knows how to interview. He's a bit of a meathead but that's not a big problem.

The big problem is how he legitimized some 100% wrong points of views for the clicks. When you have a platform like he does, it is a real shame that he sometimes uses it to elevate some awful people. And since being a good interviewer usually means making your guests comfortable, he doesn't push back as hard as he should a lot of the time.
Does he actually legitimize them though? If they only reason they are legitimized is because they are on a podcast with a UFC commentator and comedian, then we have bigger problems.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Does he actually legitimize them though? If they only reason they are legitimized is because they are on a podcast with a UFC commentator and comedian, then we have bigger problems.
Yes, he legitimizes them because he has a massive audience and he brings people on his show and usually let's them push whatever viewpoint they have pretty much unchallenged for a few hours. No one expects him to be a journalist, but he also has to take responsibility for the content of his show.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I HATE all of Joe's "regulars".

Not that I listen very often anyway, but the guys who I understand the be regulars, like Schuab, are f***ing terrible. They just come across as bitter, angry, unfunny, over-the-hill boomer dudes who think everybody is a p***y nowadays. :rolleyes:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yes, he legitimizes them because he has a massive audience and he brings people on his show and usually let's them push whatever viewpoint they have pretty much unchallenged for a few hours. No one expects him to be a journalist, but he also has to take responsibility for the content of his show.
I've seen him push back plenty of times, and I don't really see evidence of them being legitimized, whatever people interpret that to be. Those views don't magically become more serious or believed just because they are on his podcast. Sure, conspiracy theorists might embrace some of that stuff, but my view is they already have embraced it. And there is the side that exposes those people as frauds. My view is it's better for the frauds to be seen, so they can be exposed, as opposed to being pushed into a corner where they build an audience.

What do you mean by legitimized though, it's a pretty vague term. I'd think the vast majority of people aren't going to just believe everything his guests say just because they are on his show. That to me is what legitimizing is. Just because of UFC commentator and comedian talks to someone or even believes someone, doesn't mean I'm going to believe what that person says. If Joe Rogan's show is what determines what is legitimized and what isn't, then we have bigger societal problems.

I think Joe does struggle with topics that he's not fully versed on and that's when he asks for curiosity questions, but I think that comes off as just that, curiosity questions, at least for me. On topics he's more versed on, he does expose people. Take his podcast with Bari Weiss or Candace Owens, or even Shapiro's take on homosexuality. Without his podcast, those views wouldn't have been public like they were, that's a good thing IMO.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I've seen him push back plenty of times, and I don't really see evidence of them being legitimized, whatever people interpret that to be. Those views don't magically become more serious or believed just because they are on his podcast. Sure, conspiracy theorists might embrace some of that stuff, but my view is they already have embraced it. And there is the side that exposes those people as frauds. My view is it's better for the frauds to be seen, so they can be exposed, as opposed to being pushed into a corner where they build an audience.

What do you mean by legitimized though, it's a pretty vague term. I'd think the vast majority of people aren't going to just believe everything his guests say just because they are on his show. That to me is what legitimizing is. Just because of UFC commentator and comedian talks to someone or even believes someone, doesn't mean I'm going to believe what that person says. If Joe Rogan's show is what determines what is legitimized and what isn't, then we have bigger societal problems.

I think Joe does struggle with topics that he's not fully versed on and that's when he asks for curiosity questions, but I think that comes off as just that, curiosity questions, at least for me. On topics he's more versed on, he does expose people. Take his podcast with Bari Weiss or Candace Owens, or even Shapiro's take on homosexuality. Without his podcast, those views wouldn't have been public like they were, that's a good thing IMO.
I mean legitimized in that his podcast is mainstream, he has a huge audience, and he invites guests on with fringe views that range from laughable to irresponsible or dangerous and presents them to his audience like they are a legitimate figure with a legitimate viewpoint worthy of discussion. I agree that sometimes he does push back, but he has had on many guests discussing topics he isn't versed in so the guest is essentially given free reign to use his platform to spread their viewpoints to his millions of viewers/listeners. That doesn't mean going on the Joe Rogan Experience suddenly makes their view point legitimate in the field in which they are discussing, but your average person is not able to make that distinction very well and may leave the conversation thinking there is an actual debate in that field over the topic when in reality there isn't one and the guest is a fringe figure that no one with expertise takes seriously.

Reactions: bleedblue1223
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad