The Joe Rogan Podcast Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I recently saw an interview with 2 members of the Soprano's crew. It was F-This, F-That. Same with his interview with Bill Maher. It's disappointing. Perhaps it's the education level of everyone involved.
While swearing can be a crutch that makes morons sound extra obnoxious, there's nothing remotely wrong with it in principle, IMO, and it's the absolute last thing I'd criticize Rogan for. How do you feel about someone like George Carlin who swears like a sailor but is eloquent at the same time?
He's not using your credibility meter.
That doesn't justify making some weird and baseless accusation about traditional tv.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Love and appreciate the JRE, listen to the tim dillon show regularity and diaz' church from time to time as well.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Listen, i'm not trying to promote his podcast. I personally enjoy it for the most part. It depends on the guests for sure. Rogan has made some mistakes bringing guests on like Alex Jones, Milo, this Proud Boys guy, etc...and I generally am not interested in the things people like that have to say. There are some instances where "hearing someone out" isn't justified and Rogan has been guilty of that more than once for sure. I still think the guy gets more flack than he deserves and I think a lot of it is political. Let's agree to disagree.

I will however totally stand by my original comments of how his podcast format of long discussions with high-profile/interesting/important people has made me learn a lot in the last 4-5 years. I think it's a fantastic way to give people a chance to say what they want to say and in most cases that's a good thing.
I don't think those were mistakes. The Alex Jones episode has almost 22 million views. People don't take what Jones says seriously but it's entertaining.

Joe Rogan gets flack from people who are stubborn in the own biases. I listen for interesting topics and debate. It's okay to agree or disagree with anything in life. Most adults aren't that easily influenced.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
While swearing can be a crutch that makes morons sound extra obnoxious, there's nothing remotely wrong with it in principle, IMO, and it's the absolute last thing I'd criticize Rogan for. How do you feel about someone like George Carlin who swears like a sailor but is eloquent at the same time?

That doesn't justify making some weird and baseless accusation about traditional tv.
He was getting mad because Rogan doesn't follow a traditional set of rules only found on TV. Neither a weird or baseless accusation.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Probably the most entertaining podcast I have watched/listened to. I am sure everyone isn't going to enjoy it and that's fine as there is a ton of other podcasts and programs to watch. Overall his guests have been fantastic and the variety is vast.

Recent ones that I have really enjoyed were with Colion Noir, Bret Weinstein, Jocko and Kevin Hart.

I also enjoyed when he had a round table with Tim pool and two twitter executives. It kind of opened my eyes to the left bias in social media.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
He was getting mad because Rogan doesn't follow a traditional set of rules only found on TV. Neither a weird or baseless accusation.
Responsible journalism and platforming is a pretty universal idea not at all specific to television. It's something that ideally all independent programs on the internet have a moral obligation to be accountable for as well, whether it's actually policed or not. The notion that such fundamental concerns should be left to traditional television is frankly disgusting.

It's one thing to disagree on whether or not he's been irresponsible with his platform (plenty of defenders of him have argued that he hasn't or that he's been as careful as he ought to be), but it's another thing altogether to suggest that there's no need for him to worry about that at all. Even Rogan himself doesn't go quite that far and recognizes that he has some responsibilities that he needs to be conscious of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roman Fell

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
One of many of his podcasts featuring Graham Hancock and Randal Carlson.

It's a really interesting podcast. There is nothing crazy in what they are talking about.

"Crazy" is a matter of opinion. I would say that there is no evidence to substantiate anything they are talking about. If there was, they should publish some research, have it subjected to peer review, and collect the adoration they will receive for fundamentally changing our understanding of history and archeology. Even if they didn't want to do this, if their ideas had any merit someone else sure as hell would go and do that, but no one else has either. They are passing off fantasy and alternative history as legitimate study based on pseudoarcheology, and platforming them is irresponsible because they are presented like they are actual experts despite having absolutely no expertise in the fields they are discussing and being contrary to the years and years of research done by actual academics in these fields. Here they are being presented as if their ideas hold equal value to the academic research that has been done and the opinion of experts, when it doesn't.

If Joe Rogan wants to platform people like this, he certainly can, but it doesn't excuse him from criticism either.

Reactions: Jussi

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I enjoy how he allows interviews to breathe.

Having said that, a little bit of Joe Rogan goes a LONG way and his schtick can get old fast.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Rogan’s best attribute as an interviewer is that he has a good feel for when to challenge his guests points and for when to just shut the f*** up.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Responsible journalism and platforming is a pretty universal idea not at all specific to television. It's something that ideally all independent programs on the internet have a moral obligation to be accountable for as well, whether it's actually policed or not. The notion that such fundamental concerns should be left to traditional television is frankly disgusting.

It's one thing to disagree on whether or not he's been irresponsible with his platform (plenty of defenders of him have argued that he hasn't or that he's been as careful as he ought to be), but it's another thing altogether to suggest that there's no need for him to worry about that at all. Even Rogan himself doesn't go quite that far and recognizes that he has some responsibilities that he needs to be conscious of.

First of all he is not a journalist and never claimed to be. To claim he is ignoring some fictional obligation that others may follow means you haven't the slightest clue what he is doing. Traditional TV has this century long code of conduct that people are tuning out and are looking for alternative forms of entertainment which he provides. Some like the 3 stooges and some like Jackass.

"The notion that such fundamental concerns should be left to traditional television is frankly disgusting" You are combining 2 separate arguments. The fact he swears on his podcast is one(the actual start to all this) where the issue was he is not on traditional TV where there is no censorship. The other is that you believe he is not "vetting" people properly and thus doing a disservice to established journalism.

No one has ever stated he doesn't care about being responsible or not, that's you trying to justify a moral higher ground. He doesn't promote the ideas of his guests, he entertains them to understand them. If that changes his thought on subjects so be it but I think he is well aware of who he is and who he is truly accountable too, himself. He has never done or said anything that is at all controversial. He's never been racist, homophobic, you name it from the start.

You take him more serious than I think he takes himself.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
"Crazy" is a matter of opinion. I would say that there is no evidence to substantiate anything they are talking about. If there was, they should publish some research, have it subjected to peer review, and collect the adoration they will receive for fundamentally changing our understanding of history and archeology. Even if they didn't want to do this, if their ideas had any merit someone else sure as hell would go and do that, but no one else has either. They are passing off fantasy and alternative history as legitimate study based on pseudoarcheology, and platforming them is irresponsible because they are presented like they are actual experts despite having absolutely no expertise in the fields they are discussing and being contrary to the years and years of research done by actual academics in these fields. Here they are being presented as if their ideas hold equal value to the academic research that has been done and the opinion of experts, when it doesn't.

If Joe Rogan wants to platform people like this, he certainly can, but it doesn't excuse him from criticism either.
Fair enough but what he is doing is allowing Hancock and Carlson to express themselves. The idea that there may have been older civilizations that were destroyed because of a great cataclysm is interesting. They are trying to show with the evidence available that it may be the case. In total he has them on his pod cast for about 20 hours over maybe 8 episodes.

Hancock had a theory that those civilizations where destroyed by pole shifts, floods or something. When he along with Carlson suggested it may have been a comet people said where is the evidence. 2018 comes along and NASA discovers this:

The crater is what was needed to show they might be on to something. New information always has it's detractors because it can literally wipe out a career's worth of study in a second. No one wants that and it usually only happens once people have died. What benefit do Egyptians have in accepting that there was a advanced civilization before them, none. There claim to fame is they were the first. Gobekli Tepei comes along which predates them by 4000+ years and it gets people thinking. What Egyptologist would want another culture to take that away?

What if Egyptians moved into the pyramids because they were already there and claimed them as there own? What if cavemen were people who were forced to take shelter in caves because it was the only way to survive a great impact? What if the Pyramids were built to withstand anything because people knew comets could destroy them?

We are trained to believe we evolved from apes or from Adam & Eve but both could also be bullshit. You don't go from living in caves to hunting and gathering to pyramids in a span a a few thousand years.

Understand what they are saying before you disregard their theory. If they are full of shit so be it. It doesn't make it any less interesting.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
First of all he is not a journalist and never claimed to be. To claim he is ignoring some fictional obligation that others may follow means you haven't the slightest clue what he is doing. Traditional TV has this century long code of conduct that people are tuning out and are looking for alternative forms of entertainment which he provides. Some like the 3 stooges and some like Jackass.

"The notion that such fundamental concerns should be left to traditional television is frankly disgusting" You are combining 2 separate arguments. The fact he swears on his podcast is one(the actual start to all this) where the issue was he is not on traditional TV where there is no censorship. The other is that you believe he is not "vetting" people properly and thus doing a disservice to established journalism.

No one has ever stated he doesn't care about being responsible or not, that's you trying to justify a moral higher ground. He doesn't promote the ideas of his guests, he entertains them to understand them. If that changes his thought on subjects so be it but I think he is well aware of who he is and who he is truly accountable too, himself. He has never done or said anything that is at all controversial. He's never been racist, homophobic, you name it from the start.

You take him more serious than I think he takes himself.
First of all, nowhere in this thread did I comment on what I think about Rogan. The only thing I've argued is that your response was completely unreasonable, which it was. Stop resorting to strawmen and dismissive assumptions.

Anyone in a public space that conveys information to the public has that journalistic/moral obligation. Talk-show-hosts, Youtube personalities, streamers, everyone-- You don't have to be an actual professional journalist for this to be true. It's not your choice whether or not you want that responsibility, and in Rogan's case, informing the public of important subjects is definitely part of what he does. It's not something he can escape just by telling people he's a moron.

You responded to this:
Doesn't matter. Giving a large platform to McInness goes beyond giving a voice to all sides of the political spectrum. This is not having a run-of-the-mill Republican stooge on the show. I don't care where Rogan leans politically. He should vet his guests to make sure they at least have some credibility. If he can't do that, he deserves to be criticized for it. 'All sides are valid' is not always an honorable position and posturing like it is (not saying that this is what you're currently doing) is often a sign of vapidness and stupidity.
with this:
You want traditional TV.
So no, you are actually the only one here arbitrarily combining two separate arguments. Nowhere did Amerika mention anything about bad language, so your response that he therefore must want traditional TV could only be strictly based on the idea of vetting guests responsibly and nothing else. This is the only thing I referred to as well.

The fact that his comment only suggests that "<Rogan> should make sure his guests have at least some credibility" and the fact that you view even THAT as an expectation that should be reserved for television does imply that Rogan should have zero responsibility unless he is on television. This is an insane position to take. If that's not your position (which hopefully is the case), then you logically shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion and made that response, and should own up to the strawman.

The fact that Rogan himself acknowledges this responsibility and cares about it was the point I brought up-- it actually hurts and contradicts your response, it doesn't help it.

You may reasonably disagree with the position that Rogan is or isn't acting responsibly (lots of people have and that should be fairly debated), but either way, that doesn't justify the wildly presumptuous and dismissive response you made.

Everything else you're mentioning here, defending his character and admirable traits, assigning questionable motivations to everyone that has an issue with it, is completely irrelevant to this point.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
First of all, nowhere in this thread did I comment on what I think about Rogan. The only thing I've argued is that your response was completely unreasonable, which it was. Stop resorting to strawmen and dismissive assumptions.

Anyone in a public space that conveys information to the public has that journalistic/moral obligation. Talk-show-hosts, Youtube personalities, streamers, everyone-- they don't have to be actual professional journalists for this to be true. It's not your choice whether or not you want that responsibility.

You responded to this:

with this:

So no, you are actually the only one here arbitrarily combining two separate arguments. Nowhere did Amerika mention anything about bad language, so your response that he therefore must want traditional TV could only be strictly based on the idea of vetting guests responsibly and nothing else. This is the only thing I referred to as well.

The fact that his comment only suggests that "<Rogan> should make sure his guests have at least some credibility" and the fact that you view even THAT as an expectation that should be reserved for television does imply that Rogan should have zero responsibility unless he is on television. This is an insane position to take. If that's not your position (which hopefully is the case), then you logically shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion and made that response, and should own up to the strawman.

The fact that Rogan himself acknowledges this responsibility and cares about it was the point I brought up-- it actually hurts and contradicts your response, it doesn't help it.

You may reasonably disagree with the position that Rogan is or isn't acting responsibly (lots of people have and that should be fairly debated), but either way, that doesn't justify the wildly presumptuous and dismissive response you made.

Everything else you're mentioning here, defending his character and admirable traits, assigning questionable motivations to everyone that has an issue with it, is completely irrelevant to this point.
Now you are moving the goal posts. I don't care at this point.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Now you are moving the goal posts. I don't care at this point.
How convenient. The argument was about your baseless accusation about expecting traditional tv, so I don't see how I'm the one who moved away from that, when instead of defending that line of reasoning, you started defending Rogan's character and motivations.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Human Civilization is about 12,000 years old. It didn’t take a few thousand years.
12000 years ago correlates with the end of the younger dryas period. It's a scientific fact that there were great floods because of melting ice. Carlson suggests that because human civilizations built around water ways he thinks many of those societies where destroyed by floods.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Good ol' Shermer for the win. lol

I just find it odd that in the bronze age they are learning farming and by the iron age they have already perfected pyramid building. Something we would have trouble building today yet they had no problem doing it with thousands of elephants and copper tools.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad