The Jiri Sekac Thread

PricePkPatch*

...he looks really good out there, but I think he's tired...we should sit him and play Bork...just for a game or two...

:shakehead

...****in' Therrien...:rant:

Get over it. Man, are you still sour grapes over something that happened a month ago?!

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Watching Sekac, Eller and Prust cycle the puck the way they do in the o-zone is really nice this year. Everytime they're on the ice, it feels like they're dominating, thye just don't bury all their chances.

For a 3rd line, spending that much time in the o-zone and not running around in our own zone chasing the other team is great to see.

Sekac has really impressed me so far. Very good player.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Can you get over the past?
And Sekac only started really producing after being scratched...

Agreed...it's dumb to complain about him being scratched when he didn't play all that well the first 5 games, plus they were trying to move Bourque and Moen, so playing them made lots of sense.

The truly stupid part of some of these posts is Therrien was probably trying to keep MB happy by playing Bourque and Moen, not because he wanted them out there ahead of Bournival and Sekac.

Plus Bourque deserved at least 10-15 games of grace period after having great playoffs.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Watching Sekac, Eller and Prust cycle the puck the way they do in the o-zone is really nice this year. Everytime they're on the ice, it feels like they're dominating, thye just don't bury all their chances.

For a 3rd line, spending that much time in the o-zone and not running around in our own zone chasing the other team is great to see.

Sekac has really impressed me so far. Very good player.

I'd like to see them better defensively. They got caught all 3 down low on the Barrie goal(which Prust knocked in) and Eller and Sekac both did a "fly by" on Briere on his goal...

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
I love wallets full of money.

Kudos to Habs' scouting for finding this player and to Bergevin for signing him.

Exactly what we needed to replace Gionta. Big, fast, skilled, energetic, reliable, defensively aware, mature, young and cheap...for now.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
Good for management to kick the tires on jiri, but Montreal got lucky with this pickup.

There were 10-15 teams going after him, supposedly with almost identical offers, and I would wager that there were teams on that list who would have been able to give him a more concrete position in the lineup.

Sekac just happened to want to play here. It was a lottery win of sorts.

Sekac made it public that he loved the diehard fans, the hockey culture, and the history of the CH. I understand what you are saying, as there was a 1/16 chance Sekac signed here (theoretically- 16 teams were interested), but I wouldn't call it "a lottery win of sorts" when he chooses the most historic hockey franchise of all time.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
Sekac and PK are my two favorite players to watch. Sekac is always doing something, which is nice to see. He and Gallagher are energizer bunnies, and although they may not score 40 goals in the regular season, it's guys like him and Gallagher that get us through the playoffs.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
I hope they put Bournival with him and Eller that line would just be a forecheckin masterpiece plus a deadly combination of speed and grit. Prust belongs on the 4th line with Weise and Malhotra which is a damn good line if you ask me.

I can't see how Sekac will not be at least a 50 points second line winger. Guy is a beast along the boards.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I hope they put Bournival with him and Eller that line would just be a forecheckin masterpiece plus a deadly combination of speed and grit. Prust belongs on the 4th line with Weise and Malhotra which is a damn good line if you ask me.

I can't see how Sekac will not be at least a 50 points second line winger. Guy is a beast along the boards.

I think Prust will eventually go to the 4th line, they'll leave him with 81-26 as long as they keep playing well. I could also see Andrighetto or Tangradi getting a look there...though Andrighetto has primarily been a RW.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I think Prust will eventually go to the 4th line, they'll leave him with 81-26 as long as they keep playing well. I could also see Andrighetto or Tangradi getting a look there...though Andrighetto has primarily been a RW.

Sekac plays both wings and actually prefers the left.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
very smart player, knows what to do defensively and when there's no play. reminds me a bit of tomas plekanec when he first broke in.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Jeez this guy looks good, how long has he been in the league? 5, 6 years? What? ROOKIE? WTF?!?!

That's literally my thoughts when I watch him play. Hasn't been many (maybe any) games this year that he's looked out of place. Awesome pick-up MB.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Jeez this guy looks good, how long has he been in the league? 5, 6 years? What? ROOKIE? WTF?!?!

That's literally my thoughts when I watch him play. Hasn't been many (maybe any) games this year that he's looked out of place. Awesome pick-up MB.

7 games in the press box matures you real fast. :sarcasm:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just seems to get better and better. Very strong skater and strong on his skates. Playing in every situation now (ES,PP,PK). Amazing pickup.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Can you get over the past?
And Sekac only started really producing after being scratched...

Except he was consistently improving prior to the benching, Habs were winning, and he just scored his 1st nhl goal.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Sekec reminds me of a player who would play for Detroit. Very mature for his age, I don't know if he has top 6 potential. I was too young to notice anything in the 80s, I started watching in the 90s and a player I compare Sekec to is Jere Lethtinen. A very good two-way player for Dallas back in the day.

I would stick Sekec with Plekanec so he can learn more.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I remember no one really knowing him after the signing. Even going into the season, no one knew him too well. Some thought he might need AHL time. Basically from day one, I'd heard fairly knowledgeable people rave about Sekac. At that point I did a little more research. I still have no confirmation, but apparently he won the KHL version of the Selke last year. I considered Sekac a lock on the team coming in. I watched whatever video I could find in the summer. Even that didn't do him justice. It seems like he creates something out of nothing every shift. He's so hard to knock off the puck. We've got a gem.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I remember no one really knowing him after the signing. Even going into the season, no one knew him too well. Some thought he might need AHL time. Basically from day one, I'd heard fairly knowledgeable people rave about Sekac. At that point I did a little more research. I still have no confirmation, but apparently he won the KHL version of the Selke last year. I considered Sekac a lock on the team coming in. I watched whatever video I could find in the summer. Even that didn't do him justice. It seems like he creates something out of nothing every shift. He's so hard to knock off the puck. We've got a gem.

It's no surprise that no one really knew much about him as the guy came out of nowhere. It's my understanding that after he left the USHL for Russia, he had an ok first year but then really struggled so they cut him lose and he went back to the Czech league to play for the same team that Reway now plays for. He had a much better time there so he went back to the KHL last year and that's when he had his breakout season, 2nd on his club in goals, assists and points as a 21 year old.

He's looking like he's going to be a very solid addition to the organization, glad he picked the Habs to sign with. Going to be interesting to see how much he can progress over the next couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad