The Jim Benning & Management Megathread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
And then let it all fall apart within 3 years. By the way, just for funs sake, what big moves did Gillis make that made us get so close? Because the Sedins were already here. So was Luongo. As was Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler and Salo.

I mean, I guess we give him Erhoff...even though he let him walk.
  1. He got pretty much every core player to sign for an AAV that was below market value.
  2. He made trades to fill out the roster that gave us the depth we needed to go deep.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Yes but the most important pieces were left to him by Nonis and Burke. Still he is the GM who resides over the President Trophy teams so he deserves credit, but something to keep in mind. He did not draft or acquire Luongo, Kesler, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Edler, Burrows, Bieksa in their primes.

Benning has inherited a team that will never compete for a Presidents trophy until a complete new cast of players is developed.

Yeah, but Gillis was smart enough to keep the right guys, jettison the wrong ones, and put together a team that was one of the best teams in the league over a 5-year period. They came within a game of winning a cup despite a horrendous run of injuries in the final.

Despite how he's portrayed, Gillis prioritized process over ego. He didn't fire AV because he wasn't "his guy"; he spent time with him, figured out what the plan would be moving forward, and kept him on board. He didn't axe everyone in sight because they didn't agree with him. He recognized his weaknesses and sought complementary managers like Gilman to handle specific areas (namely, the cap). Hell, he even changed his minds (seemingly) on the Sedins, ate some crow, and went to Sweden to keep them in Vancouver -- at Gilman's prodding, IIRC.

It's a stark contrast to Benning, who was either too stubborn to adjust his initial assessment of Lack (only a back-up, needs a veteran starter), or -- even more damning -- too bloody egotistical and defensive to admit he made a mistake and move the old goaltender with the onerous contract.

That said, I'm all for people hitching their wagons to Double Down Jim. We'll see how it goes :popcorn:

Last edited:

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I just said it's hilarious how people throw Gillis in the gutter. I never mentioned anything about the core.

Why is it so important to you to discredit Gillis?

Why is it so important to discredit Benning? My feelings about it are that Gillis has a bit of that "ex girlfriend" syndrome going on where people sit there and go "oh we used to have it soooo good". Gillis was fine but the people acting like he was a hockey god and savior to the unwashed masses is getting tiresome.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
Why is it so important to discredit Benning? My feelings about it are that Gillis has a bit of that "ex girlfriend" syndrome going on where people sit there and go "oh we used to have it soooo good". Gillis was fine but the people acting like he was a hockey god and savior to the unwashed masses is getting tiresome.

Do you believe that if the perception of Gillis was different (ie. from hockey god to slimeball) that the moves Jimbo has done would be seen in a different light?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Yeah, but Gillis was smart enough to keep the right guys, jettison the wrong ones, and put together a team that was one of the best teams in the league over a 5-year period. They came within a game of winning a cup despite a horrendous run of injuries in the final.

Despite how he's portrayed, Gillis prioritized process over ego. He didn't fire AV because he wasn't "his guy". He didn't axe everyone in sight because they didn't agree with him. He recognized his weaknesses and sought complementary managers like Gilman to handle specific areas (namely, the cap).

It's a stark contrast to Benning, who was either too stubborn to adjust his initial assessment of Lack (only a back-up, needs a veteran starter), or -- even more damning -- to bloody egotistical and defensive to admit he made a mistake and move the old goaltender with the onerous contract.

That said, I'm all for people hitching their wagons to Double Down Jim. We'll see how it goes :popcorn:

IDK about that. Finding "value" was his MO. He seemed unable (unwilling?) to forgo value, even when it would have been in the best interest of the team.

What would have happened with the team if he'd have dumped Ballard, paid Ehrhoff, traded Hodgson for a "now" return and settled the Luongo fiasco in a timely manner?

Last edited:

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Seems obvious but if it needs to be spelled out I can oblige.

He made the moves that allowed this team to get to within one game of winning the cup, won two president's trophies (first time ever). He was by far the most successful GM in franchise history.

That's like saying "among the students who failed, he had the best score". Still doesn't excuse all the poor moves he did after the cup final.

Maybe Gillis was just lucky.

Napoleon was known to have said: "“I know he's a good general, but is he lucky?â€

Whatever he did, the Canucks did enjoy success (by Canucks standards - which isn't a high bar to achieve) under his regime. But like the Quinn era (which was a far, far more impressive achievement considering what Quinn inherited) - he let it fall apart in the end.

which is why Quinn imo is a better GM than Gillis.
Gillis let it fall apart because he couldn't draft, once the core he inherited aged, well our success declined.

Agreed. He also had a rebuild plan in place in 2013. It's laughable that people are happy he was fired. This team still isn't committed to a rebuild and it's now 2015? It'll be 2016 until we actually commit to one. That's three wasted years.

Which shows how the team was mismanaged. The fact that the team "had" to rebuild" is a sign it was mismanaged.

Its like a business that needs restructuring. It must have poor decisions to get to that point.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
That's like saying "among the students who failed, he had the best score". Still doesn't excuse all the poor moves he did after the cup final.

With the other side being essentially the same arguement. 'The previous student did worse so I'm really not THAT bad.'

Which shows how the team was mismanaged. The fact that the team "had" to rebuild" is a sign it was mismanaged.

Its like a business that needs restructuring. It must have poor decisions to get to that point.

Not really an apt parallel. A hockey team's life cycle is nothing like a business'.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Can we PLEASE get over Mike Santorelli on these boards? He is not a 2nd line player on a good team. Have you seen anyone jump all over him in free agency? No of course you haven't. He will sign another 1 year deal for low money for yet another team as he continues to bounce around the league like most journeymen do.

He's just as good as Bonino/Vey and he'd have been free to retain. 1.75m is hardly "2nd line player" money

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
No its two separate people. I just dont like how people are harsh on one but not the other.

So what does throwing Gillis under the bus and saying he didn't even add a core player accomplish in regards to a discussion about Benning? Does this make Benning a better or worse GM somehow?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
And then let it all fall apart within 3 years. By the way, just for funs sake, what big moves did Gillis make that made us get so close? Because the Sedins were already here. So was Luongo. As was Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler and Salo.

I mean, I guess we give him Erhoff...even though he let him walk.

Ehrhoff was one of them, yes. Malhotra and Hamhuis were huge to our success as well. You could even add Samuelsson in there.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

It's more like a sports team that had to rebuild because they'd only drafted in the top 20 once in 7 years or whatever and had spent draft capital (2nd to 4th round picks) to pursue a championship. Pretty normal behaviour for a veteran-laden club.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Gillis had a good drafting history. Unless 2012 and 2013 produce a 100% hit rate on "possible" NHLers such as Gaunce, Subban, Shinkaruk, Cassels, and so on, his overall drafting record is going to be sub-standard. That's not much of a debate. But it's also not entirely unexpected based on where the Canucks were drafting.

The point, though, is that people keep tossing Gillis in the gutter and bringing up the handful of mistakes he made (and he did make them) to counter Benning's one-year parade of ongoing mistakes. It's irrelevant -- and, moreover, not particularly compelling or damning of Gillis. More than anything it serves to highlight just how many blunders Benning has made in a compressed window.

Why don't people just defend Benning on what he's done? I presume because it gets a bit cumbersome to have to list the number of things people don't agree with and try to explain the possible tortured logic that this management group went through to get there: "I don't agree with A, but I can see how in some light, if you looked at it this way, maybe there's a way Benning thought..." :naughty:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
None of Bennings brain dead moves can possibly be defended so the people who defend him at all cost have to bash his predecessor. There are more posts about Gillis in here than Benning. I don't remember the Gillis management thread being half full with Nonis posts. I guess Benning is so truly awful that the only defense for him is the last guy was worse, which he wasn't, not by a long shot. But whatever helps people sleep at night.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
So what does throwing Gillis under the bus and saying he didn't even add a core player accomplish in regards to a discussion about Benning? Does this make Benning a better or worse GM somehow?

You asked for context when throwing Gillis under a bus. I gave you some context.

Ehrhoff was one of them, yes. Malhotra and Hamhuis were huge to our success as well. You could even add Samuelsson in there.

Theres also a laundry list of players who didnt work out. Mats Sundin (although he did help the Sedins develop, that contract though...), Pavol Demitra, Brad Lukowich, Steve Bernier, Kyle Wellwood.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
It's more like a sports team that had to rebuild because they'd only drafted in the top 20 once in 7 years or whatever and had spent draft capital (2nd to 4th round picks) to pursue a championship. Pretty normal behaviour for a veteran-laden club.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Gillis had a good drafting history. Unless 2012 and 2013 produce a 100% hit rate on "possible" NHLers such as Gaunce, Subban, Shinkaruk, Cassels, and so on, his overall drafting record is going to be sub-standard. That's not much of a debate. But it's also not entirely unexpected based on where the Canucks were drafting.

The point, though, is that people keep tossing Gillis in the gutter and bringing up the handful of mistakes he made (and he did make them) to counter Benning's one-year parade of ongoing mistakes. It's irrelevant -- and, moreover, not particularly compelling or damning of Gillis. More than anything it serves to highlight just how many blunders Benning has made in a compressed window.

Why not just defend Benning on what he's done? I presume because it gets a bit cumbersome to have to list the number of things they don't agree with and try to explain the possible tortured logic that this management group went through to get there: "I don't agree with A, but I can see how in some light, if you looked at it this way, maybe there's a way Benning thought..." :naughty:

I never used it to counter anything Benning did.

Go to any of my posts and find that.

But at least you can see that Gillis had sub-standard drafting.

I've called Benning a terrible GM, why do I need to defend him?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
None of Bennings brain dead moves can possibly be defended so the people who defend him at all cost have to bash his predecessor. There are more posts about Gillis in here than Benning. I don't remember the Gillis management thread being half full with Nonis posts. I guess Benning is so truly awful that the only defense for him is the last guy was worse, which he wasn't, not by a long shot. But whatever helps people sleep at night.

I could be wrong... but I remember many, many arguments in that thread about who deserved "credit" for those early Gillis' teams. I don't think it's uncommon to compare the new GM to the guy that just left.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Hardly... despite what some may now feel it's not a foregone conclusion that Gillis was doing a bad job and needed to be fired. Only one chant popped up at a game and it was rather small, and on here there were as many, if not more, people on here that supported him as there were that wanted him gone. Or as I like to view the latter, our fans who started buying the drivel trolls from Edmonton and Toronto had been spewing out for a while.

Either way for what its worth Gillis still probably had more support on here in his final days than Benning does. Would've been even higher if people knew he wanted to start retooling in 2013 but was blocked by ownership.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I never used it to counter anything Benning did.

Go to any of my posts and find that.

But at least you can see that Gillis had sub-standard drafting.

I've called Benning a terrible GM, why do I need to defend him?

If you defend anything that Benning does and/or trash Gillis... you are on #teamBenning. It's not all that fair... but they can certainly use the manpower.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
^ What's funny is that 3 of those guys weren't even there for the Cup run.

Can we PLEASE get over Mike Santorelli on these boards? He is not a 2nd line player on a good team. Have you seen anyone jump all over him in free agency? No of course you haven't. He will sign another 1 year deal for low money for yet another team as he continues to bounce around the league like most journeymen do.

Just because someone isn't signed at this point in the season doesn't mean they aren't a good player. It's a fallacy to appeal to the authority of the GM community when you once had even someone like Manny Malhotra trying out in training camp for the Sharks. He was a well-known veteran with lots of leadership and two-way experience who was even more established as a forward than Santorelli, yet nobody even signed him until September. Why is that?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You asked for context when throwing Gillis under a bus. I gave you some context.

Theres also a laundry list of players who didnt work out. Mats Sundin (although he did help the Sedins develop, that contract though...), Pavol Demitra, Brad Lukowich, Steve Bernier, Kyle Wellwood.

Sundin was a wash on-ice, but a few of the core guys later credited him with helping them take a step.

Demitra was more than solid until he missed most of a year with a shoulder injury.

Lukowich was a dump in the Ehrhoff trade who they packed off to the AHL and didn't extend. He was part of the move that brought in Ehrhoff for Pat White and Daniel Rahimi. They didn't later sign him to a 3mil contract. This wasn't a negative.

Bernier didn't work out as planned, but was still a useful player.

Wellwood was a waiver pickup who scored 18 and 14 goals for ~1million each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille