The Jim Benning & Management Megathread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Continue

There is to be no more off topic posting about Jim Benning threads that don't pertain to him directly. It is becoming exhausting to try and manage 6-10 different on going threads that all end up being about the same thing.

This is for ALL Benning and Management talk from here out out. The other threads are to be used to discussed the topic they were made about. Period. Done.

Personal insults that could offend users on HF, even if directed at Jim, are not allowed. Questioning his intelligence, mental capacity and his birthplace are three examples. This falls under the offensive rule. Questioning his professional capability is fine.

Continuing to derail other threads with management discussion will result in thread or forum bans and infractions.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
"To Carroll, competition doesn't really mean beating an opponent or a teammate (for a roster spot or starting role), although that may be a part of it. Instead, competition, to Carroll, involves the constant (the "always" part of the expression) pursuit, characterized by scrapping and clawing, to get better and eventually to reach one's highest potential."

The Blackhawks' star players embody this imo and it has a trickle down affect throughout their team. It's a big reason for their success. This is what Benning&co. have their eyes on, not a team full of plugs. They want everyone, including their future "star" players, to embody this.

Here is the thing about the Seahawks:
That team target rangy...
Athletic players first and foremost.
Then...
And only then...
Will the competition for jobs start.

Sure...
Competition is important...
But the management also realizes that they need to get good players...
Or at least players with the potential to be good...
In order to raise the competition.
That is not what the Canucks currently does...
Since Benning put an emphasis of grit...
Over skills.

That is what most of us has a problem with.
There is no way you can honestly say that Prust has more potential than Kassian.

Plus...
I think you also overstated that "competition" held by the Seahawks.
That only happened in the first or second year when Carrol got there...
When no job was truly safe.
Once he got his All-Pros at various positions though...
Everyone knows that these players' jobs are all but safe...
And that "competition" has merely become lip-service for these positions.
I may not know much about anything...
But I do know my Seahawks.
I have watched that team for over 10 years now...
And I have pretty much seen its rise...
To its fall...
And then to its accent to the top of the mountain.

Honestly...
When GMs use the phrases "create more competition" and "no job is safe"...
It honestly means that "the team is not good enough" or "I want to do everything in my power to improve the team".
When a team is a championship contender...
Or even a favourite to win it all...
Suddenly...
"Competition for jobs" becomes secondary.

Of course...
I am not saying that compete level is not important...
But it should not be focused over skills and talent.
No team that does that wins anything.
Skills is a far more important indicator of success.

One of these players is enough.
Two is really overkill.
They will only be hemmed in their own zone more often than not...
And the energy and grit they bring to the table...
Will all but be neutralized.

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
wisp said:
anyone else catch the comment Willy made about rookies on the radio? paraphrased quote here:

Quote:
@omarcanuck Willie says it might be a year or two before the #Canucks get some of the guys from Utica, but there are some good prospects
are you effing kidding me? does he have any idea that he has four waiver eligible rookies inbound? is he on the same page as management?

i think Horvat making the roster is camouflaging the fact this coach doesn't care to deal with rookies. if he thinks he can get away with running a veteran roster... well, given the current climate, it'll be his undoing.

management doesn't understand waivers. willie is probably even more clueless

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Here is the thing about the Seahawks:
That team target rangy...
Athletic players first and foremost.
Then...
And only then...
Will the competition for jobs start.

Sure...
But the management also realizes that they need to get good players...
Or at least players with the potential to be good...
In order to raise the competition.
That is not what the Canucks currently does...
Since Benning put an emphasis of grit...
Over skills.

That is what most of us has a problem with.
There is no way you can honestly say that Prust has more potential than Kassian.

Plus...
I think you also overstated that "competition" held by the Seahawks.
That only happened in the first or second year when Carrol got there...
When no job was truly safe.
Once he got his All-Pros at various positions though...
Everyone knows that these players' jobs are all but safe...
And that "competition" has merely become lip-service for these positions.
I may not know much about anything...
But I do know my Seahawks.
I have watched that team for over 10 years now...
And I have pretty much seen its rise...
To its fall...
And then to its accent to the top of the mountain.

Honestly...
When GMs use the phrases "create more competition" and "no job is safe"...
It honestly means that "the team is not good enough" or "I want to do everything in my power to improve the team".
When a team is a championship contender...
Or even a favourite to win it all...
Suddenly...
"Competition for jobs" becomes secondary.

Of course...
I am not saying that compete level is not important...
But it should not be emphasized over skills and talent.
No team that emphasize grit over skills wins anything.
Skills is a far more important indicator of success.

One of these players is enough.
Two is really overkill.
They will only be hemmed in their own zone more often than not...
And the energy and grit they bring to the table...
Will all but be neutralized.

Did you read the quote?

Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
"To Carroll, competition doesn't really mean beating an opponent or a teammate (for a roster spot or starting role), although that may be a part of it. Instead, competition, to Carroll, involves the constant (the "always" part of the expression) pursuit, characterized by scrapping and clawing, to get better and eventually to reach one's highest potential."

Having players with a lot of potential that aren't all that interested in achieving it undermines the kind of environment they're trying to create. Teams like the Seahawks and Blackhawks have a roster full of players achieving every year.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
can someone justify why pete carroll's public opinions on 'compete' have any relevance to jim benning's obsession with giving free assets to the league in exchange for their spare parts?

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
can someone justify why pete carroll's public opinions on 'compete' have any relevance to jim benning's obsession with giving free assets to the league in exchange for their spare parts?

Hoping that the Seahawks success is emotional and not tactical and the Canucks will be the same?

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
management doesn't understand waivers. willie is probably even more clueless

I think the quote was probably more about Shinkaruk and Gaunce who they have talked about as prospects they like, but who (given the waiver eligibles ahead of them) won't see much, if any, NHL time.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I think the quote was probably more about Shinkaruk and Gaunce who they have talked about as prospects they like, but who (given the waiver eligibles ahead of them) won't see much, if any, NHL time.

Plus Pedan, Subban and Hutton. "Willie says it might be a year or two before the #Canucks get some of the guys from Utica". People see what they want to see.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Plus Pedan, Subban and Hutton. "Willie says it might be a year or two before the #Canucks get some of the guys from Utica". People see what they want to see.

I see you quoting a guy that made an extremely questionable call that cost him a 2nd Superbowl ring.
:sarcasm:

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

I'll try :)

Both Benning and Weisbrod got to where they are, on hard work alone. Very little competence... Very debatable and cloudy track record. Very little skill. Lots of hard work. Lots of long hours. Lots of sleepless nights. Perhaps Benning falls asleep at his desk, with red and blue marks all over his face (falling asleep with his whiteboard markers in his hand). They were able to rise above their incompetence, and ****** track records, to keep reaching higher levels of the game, on hard work, and support... from the right person, at the right time (a friend, in an environment full of friends). Friends and friends-of-friends keep hiring them from that tight network, and promoting them, before firing them... and starting again with another friend, or friend-of-a-friend... They'll be going the path of Feaster, soon enough. But, in the meantime, the thing they know is hard work... and support. They know how to support those who they like. They know what their definition of hard work (not smart work) looks like. They know nothing else. They certainly don't know team building skill... and they don't know how to put themselves in a position to be lucky. The ****ing GM spends the majority of his time on a task that, in the grand scheme of things, has a low % of impacting the team immediately, and a low % long term (outside the 1st round). Drafting is very important for an organization, and that's why this gets delegated to competent individuals with budgets and time. Research & Development is very important (and that's basically what drafting is... researching and developing for the long-term health of the organization), but day-to-day fires... that's the main job of the GM. To deal with the day-to-day fires. He's in the wrong position. He's in the wrong head space.

The thing is, success is a carefully crafted combination of (1) skill; (2) hard work; (3) support; and (4) luck. The careful hands of a surgeon can utilize and shape (1), (2) and (3), to put things in a better position to be (4) lucky. But these aren't surgeons... these are butchers.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Did you read the quote?

Originally Posted by Scurr View Post

Having players with a lot of potential that aren't all that interested in achieving it undermines the kind of environment they're trying to create. Teams like the Seahawks and Blackhawks have a roster full of players achieving every year.

Yeah...
But once the Seahawks becomes a contender and a favourite...
The competition really lessened.
No one believes that a fifth round cornerback...
Or a 7th round strong safety...
That got picked up this year...
Can truly unseat either Richard Sherman or Kam Chancellor...
Respectfully.
They are All-Pros for a reason.
That compete line rings hallow...
And is merely lip-service...
At this point.

Sure...
The Blackhawks might also embrace competition...
But at the end of the day...
Skill wins out...
And the team still ices the best team it can...
At its disposal.
The team won the Cup...
Because their best players...
Were their best players.

I also do not think skilled players would look to Dorsett or Prust for inspiration.
They might respect the Dorsetts and the Prusts...
But because they know they play a different game...
And they too work hard to get to this level...
They would probably continue to do what they have done thus far in their career.
Young skill guys would also probably look up to the Sedins...
And probably even Higgins and Burrows...
Before they look towards Dorsett or Prust.
The only guys who will want to emulate Dorsett or Prust...
Will be people slated for the bottom of the lineup.
I really do not see the use of a team full of bottom line hear-and-soul kind of players...
If they would only inspire part of the roster.

Mainly...
I just think the Seahawks is not the best example for what you want to illustrate.
Yes...
But everyone knows that a sport team is a business...
And the reason why a player makes the team over another...
Is not that simple...
And not always straightforward.
Often...
There are other factors to consider.
One cannot deny that even if a couple of young guys out-competes Dorsett and Prust...
They will likely start in the minors...
Because their contract can slide.

Like what I have written in the last post...
Phrases such as "always compete" and "no job is safe"...
Are only used when a team is not good enough...
And a GM wants to show that he is here to make changes.
It is nothing more than a publicity stunt...
And they get drummed out very quickly...
When a team becomes a true contender.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

What does a piece that questions Carroll's hiring...
Has to do with anything?
Yes...
It is proven now that the writer was incorrect in his assessment...
But without the benefit of hindsight...
There is actually very little inherently wrong with his article...
Since he just gave his opinion...
Backed by reasons and evidences.

We have all been wrong with our predictions...
One way or another.
It is not fair to hold that against someone's head...
When he actually made an intelligent...
And thoughtful...
Analysis.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
anyone else catch the comment Willy made about rookies on the radio? paraphrased quote here:

are you effing kidding me? does he have any idea that he has four waiver eligible rookies inbound? is he on the same page as management?

i think Horvat making the roster is camouflaging the fact this coach doesn't care to deal with rookies. if he thinks he can get away with running a veteran roster... well, given the current climate, it'll be his undoing.

Sadly, he's right. After Baertschi, all our roster spots are filled with veterans. I wouldn't all be surprised to them try to sneak Clendening through waivers.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Prust - Vey - Dorsett
Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Weber
Corrado

Miller
Markstrom

That's what I expect to go into the season with.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Sadly, he's right. After Baertschi, all our roster spots are filled with veterans. I wouldn't all be surprised to them try to sneak Clendening through waivers.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Prust - Vey - Dorsett
Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Weber
Corrado

Miller
Markstrom

They've already committed to 8 D.

"Well, I've said it many times that a competitive team like ours, if you want to build a team that has a chance you've got to have depth on the blueline. When we set out to build the team we billed our model with 8 defenseman on the NHL side, but we also sought out players who were going to be 9th, 10th, 11th guys who had the ability to play in the NHL."

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/5/25/ji...r-blue-line-group-that-s-better-in-transition

So that's 3 rookies next year (Baertschi, Corrado, Clendening) and 3 last year (Vey, Horvat, Kenins). Hopefully 3 more the year after that (Pedan, Virtanen?, Gaunce?, McCann?, Subban?, Hutton?) Seems reasonable.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
youth for youth's sake is such a silly approximation of cap savings and long-term convenience. id take a 28 year old with 5 great years left than ten linden veys

The Jesus*

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Prust - Vey - Dorsett
Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Weber
Corrado

Miller
Markstrom

Gaunce is ready for the NHL. Shinkaruk is ready to get a look. In a year or two, McCann and Virtanen will both be ready to go.

It pisses me off that we're not putting youth into our lineup because we want to try and fight for 9th place in the conference. So stupid.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
youth for youth's sake is such a silly approximation of cap savings and long-term convenience. id take a 28 year old with 5 great years left than ten linden veys

The tricky part is, usually 28 year olds are looking to cash in (if they are half decent at least), whereas younger players are typically cost controlled.

Chris Higgins is a guy we acquired at age 28 I believe and is in his 5th season with the team... so you can get a lot of usefulness out of these players, I don't disagree with this assessment.

Having a player like Tarasenko putting up 73 points last year while making 1.75 million is a pretty ideal situation for any team. *Not saying we have a Tarasenko caliber prospect*

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Prust - Vey - Dorsett
Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Weber
Corrado

Miller
Markstrom

That lineup is gross

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't see Gaunce or Shinkaruk as NHL ready. Neither were impact AHLers and should both be in Utica this year hopefully taking on more prominent roles with the Comets.

I don't believe in playing youth just for the sake of playing youth. There's no need to rush either prospect.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
I don't see Gaunce or Shinkaruk as NHL ready. Neither were impact AHLers and should both be in Utica this year hopefully taking on more prominent roles with the Comets.

I don't believe in playing youth just for the sake of playing youth. There's no need to rush either prospect.

Agreed , but say for example a Cassels or McCan have a crazy impressive training camp and look ready for the NHL you have to make room. Wether that's trading Higgins or someone you gotta do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad