The Jim Benning & Management Megathread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
why the rush?

Why not let him earn his spot on the Canucks by playing well in Utica just like Kenins did.

I don't really see the big deal with Gaunce being in the AHL to start next season. We can always call him up if there's a injury so he can prove himself

I agree. It's not like he's hitting the end of his rope like Jensen.

He's going to have an even bigger role this year. If he really pushes and makes the team out of camp, great. But if he doesn't, it's a year where he can finally see what it's like trying to carry the load offensively. Maybe he might get to even play full-time center again.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Look at the guys getting moved and displaced under Benning:

Lack -> Miller
Bieksa -> Sbisa
Matthias -> Dorsett
Kassian -> Prust

Here are my best guess as the most likely replacements of Hamhuis and Vrbata!
Hamhuis -> Bartkowski
Vrbata -> Vey
Watch them both get huge raises after this season.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Linden said one thing he loved about benning was that and I'm paraphrasing ( once he puts his mind to do something .. Nothing stops him. They rushed to sign Dorsett before free agency and now it appears they could have had him in free agency for 2 mill or less.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Linden said one thing he loved about benning was that and I'm paraphrasing ( once he puts his mind to do something .. Nothing stops him. They rushed to sign Dorsett before free agency and now it appears they could have had him in free agency for 2 mill or less.

And Luca for a million :yo: Or since he was rfa he would get QO

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well with that bit of news the worst possible thing that could happen is that we are still in it approaching the deadline because we know ownership wont let us sell off players if they can earn some of that sweet sweet playoff revenue. Hopefully we sink like a stone right from the get go.

Well, typically if you're going to trade a UFA at the deadline you don't sign them to an extension first. That will kick in a NTC and the player will likely expect to stay.

So not talking to extend them now would be the more prudent move if you're looking to sell at the deadline, but seeing as this is Benning who knows what will happen.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/0...summer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Province reporting Benning won't be looking to resign Hamhuis or Vrbata this summer and would rather go into next season and "see how it goes".

All I'm gonna say is that he better not let either one walk away for nothing without at least acquiring picks and prospects at the deadline in a rental type deal... Both of those guys should bring back a first rounder at the deadline quite easily.

Leverage? **** leverage. We don't need no stinkin leverage.

Someone needs to shut Benning the **** up. Holy ****.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Well with that bit of news the worst possible thing that could happen is that we are still in it approaching the deadline because we know ownership wont let us sell off players if they can earn some of that sweet sweet playoff revenue. Hopefully we sink like a stone right from the get go.

I'm against tanking, but this team cannot afford to let Hamhuis walk for nothing. Less so Vrbata, but the same thinking applies.

Benning has been fleeced a few times already, IMO. Has not hit a 'home run' in terms of value (again, IMO). He absolutely needs to capitalize when selling off Hamhuis and Vrbata.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hopefully he has set his mind on trading Higgins for McDavid straight up.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'm against tanking, but this team cannot afford to let Hamhuis walk for nothing. Less so Vrbata, but the same thinking applies.

Benning has been fleeced a few times already, IMO. Has not hit a 'home run' in terms of value (again, IMO). He absolutely needs to capitalize when selling off Hamhuis and Vrbata.

But will he, is the bigger question. Unfortunately, we have seen time and time again that when Benning finds a piece he likes, he will get it, value be damned. By now, I'm convinced pretty much every team in the league knows they can rip us off if they say the right things.

I, too, am against tanking from the start of the season, but it worries me what will happen if we actually look to be in the hunt for a playoff spot. If they keep Hamhuis and Vrbata just to get into 8th and get annihilated by Anaheim, then have both walk for nothing. Well...

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

We could easily go 0-5 IMO, we play Calgary back to back, then LA, the Ducks, and the Blues, out of the gate, tough start.

I agree, but I see it coming more so because our GM is terrible, I don't think it will be done on purpose, but it is coming.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/0...summer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Province reporting Benning won't be looking to resign Hamhuis or Vrbata this summer and would rather go into next season and "see how it goes".

All I'm gonna say is that he better not let either one walk away for nothing without at least acquiring picks and prospects at the deadline in a rental type deal... Both of those guys should bring back a first rounder at the deadline quite easily.
Messy execution again. Front office really needs to get its act together.

If the plan is to stick to the point you trade them at the deadline just get it over with now and get a much better first round pick. Avoid the whole yes/no trade them at the deadline dilemma.

Worst case is hold onto them and get nothing, especially if they miss the playoffs anyway.

Next worst would be a in contention for the playoffs at the deadline, keeping them, then making yet another poor exit.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Personally I fail to see how the Baertschi, Clendening and Corrado negotiations are ongoing.

If ever there were 3 players that you say "take the qualifier and prove something in the NHL" it's this group of three.

This is Benning though so I expect 4 year deals for Baertschi and Clendening.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
never thought i'd say this...but i'm actually hoping the canucks are out of the playoff hunt so there won't be any hesitation in moving hamhuis and vrbata at the deadline.

would love to have more picks in the upcoming draft.

just gotta hope the NTC's don't bite them.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
None of the RFA's should realistically get more than 1-year deals unless they're being paid less than their QO. None have proven anything at the NHL level to this point.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

He won't sign vrbata because he will try to sign Lucic.

I would try to sign Hamhuis because they need an veteran back there to help the younger players.

arsmaster*

He won't sign vrbata because he will try to sign Lucic.

I would try to sign Hamhuis because they need an veteran back there to help the younger players.

If 29 year old Alex Edler is incapable of being a veteran leader, I would resign Hamhuis and trade Edler.

We can't let these deal expire.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Looking at the contracts and personnel moves/contracts this summer, and expected salary cap growth... It seems pretty obvious what Bennings plan is...

So Hamhuis/Vrbata likely not resigning shouldnt shock anyone.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008

Agreed. But I don't find the quote troubling. I'd be more worried if he was already talking extension with those guys.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Agreed. But I don't find the quote troubling. I'd be more worried if he was already talking extension with those guys.

I hope this isn't taken as me trying to pile on, as I don't mean this to be something Benning is doing bad. But I would have spoken to both. Get a feel now of if they would re-sign, for how much, and how long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad