The Jim Benning & Management Megathread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jesus*

I don't see Gaunce or Shinkaruk as NHL ready. Neither were impact AHLers and should both be in Utica this year hopefully taking on more prominent roles with the Comets.

I don't believe in playing youth just for the sake of playing youth. There's no need to rush either prospect.

Gaunce has been "in development" for over 3 years now. He's never going to be a top 6 player, but if he's not ready for 4th line duties now, he never will be. He'll learn more playing on the 4th line in the NHL than the 1st line in the AHL.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
That lineup is gross

Agreed. My thoughts in bold

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows Needs a true 1RW
Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata Okay, and possibly good, 3rd Scoring line
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen High End/Elite checking line
Prust - Vey - Dorsett Okay 4th line other than Vey is not an ideal 4C
Kenins

Edler - Tanev Good 1st pairing
Hamhuis - Sbisa Not a good 2nd pairing
Bartkowski - Weber Subpar 3rd pairing
Corrado Should be in top 6

I think we see one of Higgins/Hansen/Vrbata/Burrows moved before the season starts, with Virtanen making the team out of camp.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don't see Gaunce or Shinkaruk as NHL ready. Neither were impact AHLers and should both be in Utica this year hopefully taking on more prominent roles with the Comets.

I don't believe in playing youth just for the sake of playing youth. There's no need to rush either prospect.

Gaunce could make the fourth line. The best thing to do with Shinkaruk is to play him in the AHL for about 15-20 games. If he is producing a lot offensively then you could bring him up. He had a good end to the year but a very inconsistent playoffs.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Gaunce has been "in development" forever. He's never going to be a top 6 player, but if he's not ready for 4th line duties now, he never will be.

No he hasn't. Did he not just finish his rookie season in the AHL? He was not a key player for Utica so I very much doubt that he can step into the NHL and contribute. Plus he isn't even centre in the AHL. I don't see him as a good prospect and I don't see the need to put him in the NHL now. If developed properly I see a low event bottom 6 player. I think he would get killed next year by the pace of the NHL.

arsmaster*

Gaunce has been "in development" for over 3 years now. He's never going to be a top 6 player, but if he's not ready for 4th line duties now, he never will be. He'll learn more playing on the 4th line in the NHL than the 1st line in the AHL.

He's a first year pro. Are you sure you're thinking if the right player?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
He's a first year pro. Are you sure you're thinking if the right player?

people often confuse the last two years of junior as something more meaningful.

Gaunce is a prime candidate to cook in the AHL over his entire ELC on the offchance that he develops into something more.

arsmaster*

people often confuse the last two years of junior as something more meaningful.

Gaunce is a prime candidate to cook in the AHL over his entire ELC on the offchance that he develops into something more.
Yeah.

He had a great first year pro IMO.

I don't see the point in rushing him to the NHL. No issue putting a little more polish on him.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I was going to wade in on this, but your take on these two is spot on. This is the season these two need to become top performers at the AHL level before they even think of having any kind of impact in Vancouver. Gaunce was benched for a game during the playoffs for insufficient effort.

Shink scored two goals vs Chicago in the first 2 games of a 5 game series. Then he scored once in 7 games vs. OKC and one in 6 vs Grand Rapids. He had no impact whatsoever vs Manchester in 5. That's a total of 4 goals in 23 games, 2 in the first 2 and only 2 more in the next 21. Not exactly a Midas touch.

Gaunce also totaled 4 goals in 22 games since he was benched for 1 game (game 4 of the Chicago series). He scored his 1st 2 in the game after the benching (game 5 vs Chicago). He amassed 2 more in the next 18 games. Also not very illustrative numbers.

They both have a lot more "developing" to do. They got their feet wet. Now it's time for them to step up and become noticeable both on the ice and on the scoreboard on a consistent basis. Then maybe the NHL becomes doable.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Thanks BG that's exactly what I got from reading the Utica thread and watching as many games as possible. Those two definitely need more seasoning and hopefully can become the leaders down in Utica before they think about moving them up here.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think most of us can agree we are going to be pretty terrible this season. Even people trying to defend this management group seems to think so. So with that said, do those people who defend them think they should be in charge of a rebuild? Straight up, is this the man drafting, and trading for players you want to build the team?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Green was extremely complimentary about Gaunce on 1040 today. If he's in the AHL next year seems like there is no question he'll be used in all situations getting 20 or so minutes a night. He'll,get regular call ip duty back half of next season if he continues progressing.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think most of us can agree we are going to be pretty terrible this season. Even people trying to defend this management group seems to think so. So with that said, do those people who defend them think they should be in charge of a rebuild? Straight up, is this the man drafting, and trading for players you want to build the team?

GMs that tank their teams through bad moves don't normal out last the rebuild.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/0...summer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Province reporting Benning won't be looking to resign Hamhuis or Vrbata this summer and would rather go into next season and "see how it goes".

All I'm gonna say is that he better not let either one walk away for nothing without at least acquiring picks and prospects at the deadline in a rental type deal... Both of those guys should bring back a first rounder at the deadline quite easily.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/0...summer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Province reporting Benning won't be looking to resign Hamhuis or Vrbata this summer and would rather go into next season and "see how it goes".

All I'm gonna say is that he better not let either one walk away for nothing without at least acquiring picks and prospects at the deadline in a rental type deal... Both of those guys should bring back a first rounder at the deadline quite easily.

Yeah would be absolutely pathetic if he doesn't move them after saying this

Why even say this? Gonna get low balled again

Buffoon

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Well with that bit of news the worst possible thing that could happen is that we are still in it approaching the deadline because we know ownership wont let us sell off players if they can earn some of that sweet sweet playoff revenue. Hopefully we sink like a stone right from the get go.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
L M F A O if we don't get anything back for Vrbata or Hamhuis

29 other GMs in the league can get 2 1st rounders + at the TDL. Before anyone says BS, just look at history. Just look at what some teams that have been drafting 3x in the first rounds have been doing

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Yeah would be absolutely pathetic if he doesn't move them after saying this

Why even say this? Gonna get low balled again

Buffoon

Flash forward: Benning deals Hamhuis + 4th rounder 2016 for a 2017 3rd rounder + prospect we've never heard of to a team loaded on D such as the Rangers. When asked why the return is so poor, Benning replies, "Yeah but they acquired him to play on their bottom pair so it is what it is and we are getting younger with x player who's a powerful skater and can really rip the puck".

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
I was going to wade in on this, but your take on these two is spot on. This is the season these two need to become top performers at the AHL level before they even think of having any kind of impact in Vancouver. Gaunce was benched for a game during the playoffs for insufficient effort.

Shink scored two goals vs Chicago in the first 2 games of a 5 game series. Then he scored once in 7 games vs. OKC and one in 6 vs Grand Rapids. He had no impact whatsoever vs Manchester in 5. That's a total of 4 goals in 23 games, 2 in the first 2 and only 2 more in the next 21. Not exactly a Midas touch.

Gaunce also totaled 4 goals in 22 games since he was benched for 1 game (game 4 of the Chicago series). He scored his 1st 2 in the game after the benching (game 5 vs Chicago). He amassed 2 more in the next 18 games. Also not very illustrative numbers.

They both have a lot more "developing" to do. They got their feet wet. Now it's time for them to step up and become noticeable both on the ice and on the scoreboard on a consistent basis. Then maybe the NHL becomes doable.

I think just citing his goal totals is being a little disingenuous. I may not have had the privilege to watch the Comets for the whole year but I did catch a lot of their playoff games (3 series' worth). Gaunce's line was relied on pretty heavily in key matchups by Green. Sure, having a veteran like Hamilton helps a ton but he was also being put out there alongside O'Reilly and Grenier at the end of games to close them out when the Comets were usually up by only a goal. If that's not trust, I don't know what is.

To me, that's a great first year in the AHL. Gaunce turned himself into a useful everyday player who the coach can trust in key situations. Shinkaruk did not and Jensen fell out of favour with mediocre play. Sure, he got benched early on but he came back and was huge in all the critical game 5s. Clearly one prospect was trending up and that was Gaunce.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

What...is...this....?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

why the rush?

Why not let him earn his spot on the Canucks by playing well in Utica just like Kenins did.

I don't really see the big deal with Gaunce being in the AHL to start next season. We can always call him up if there's a injury so he can prove himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad