The Jim Benning and Management Megathread - Part V (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A reminder of some of our Site Rules;

1) Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted. Do not call other posters trolls. Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack. Do not start threads to call out and embarrass other members; or make posts about ignore lists.

4) Offensive Posts, Links or Images: No NSFW content. NSFW ("Not Safe For Work") is defined as anything that most people would not want their bosses, parents, and/or teachers to see. Do not use profanity, racial, ethnic, religious, or other slurs and stereotypes, or post sexually-oriented material, masturbatory and excretory references, or any other offensive material. This includes "Victim Pictures" of people and animals after they have been through some form of bodily trauma; Photographic picture featuring the rear end of anatomy; Photographic picture featuring creative uses of anatomy and liquids, and pedophilic jokes. Nude and semi-nude images are not to be posted here. That includes your avatar. These are not "Babe" forums for displaying content that belongs in swimsuit calendars or lingerie catalogs.
Do not circumvent the obscenity filter by using numbers or characters such as ! or $. A word's exclusion from the obscenity filter does not mean its usage is endorsed.
We have members from different countries, religions, and cultural backgrounds. Even if you express a point of view that is very popular in your culture, it may generate a negative reaction from members in another part of the world so please exercise tact.

17) Moderator Abuse (Attacking/Disobeying the moderators): If you disagree with something the moderators did, fine, disagree and let us know, but do it politely through PM or email ONLY. Complaining on the forums is not permitted. If your thread or post was moved/closed/removed there was a good reason for it. Do not start a new one. Attacking or flaming a moderator via PM is subject to a Moderator Abuse infraction. Be respectful and considerate. Profanity and abusive conduct isn't tolerated.
Do not plead the first amendment and cite your right to free speech. It does not apply to the private sector. This is a privately owned website. Dancing around the rules, purposely skirting them just to see us twitch will not help you out much, either.
Do not post on behalf of someone who's banned. That will get you banned as well. The idea of being banned is that the banned member no longer is a part of this online community and is not allowed to interact here. No making threads that give glory to banned people. It's not a violation to mention the them in passing but no threads that focus on them. ("Ah, Troll du Jour, I miss him so!" or "Hey, it's Troll du Jour's birthday!"). Prohibited threads include "What banned member do you miss/would you bring back?" type of threads. If a moderator gives you a specific instruction in a warning, and you blatantly disregard it, you are subject to being banned.

The full Site Rules can be found here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_forum_rules

HF Vancouver's Board Specific Rules can be found here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1875707

Tempers run high whenever this discussion is had. It does not matter if you are an optimist or a pessimist, a Benning supporter or a Benning detractor, or for or against this management team's current ideals - if you wish to participate in this thread, you will be respectful of your fellow posters. Failure to adhere to this will result in 1) Your removal from the discussion, and 2) Further action as the moderating team deems appropriate.

We're all adults; let's behave like it.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Benning keeps us entertained...
So there is that.

I am unsure if that is good or bad though.
:laugh:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
It looks more certifiably bleaker for the Canucks - whatever, nature of sports - but discussions here have been much friendlier than they were after the trade deadline. :)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
His transactions..

Trades:
Kesler, 3rd for Sbisa, Bonino, 1st (McCann), 3rd
3rd for Dorsett
Garrison for 2nd
2nd for Vey
Lain for Acton
Mallet, 3rd for Pedan
Forsling for Clendening
Jeffrey for Conacher
2nd for Baertschi
---------------
Lack for a 3rd and 7th
McNally for a 7th
Kassian, 5th for Prust
Bieksa for a 2nd

Signings:
AHL - Biega, Jeffrey, O'Reilly, Sanguinetti, Andersson, Archibald, Cannata, Freisen
ELC - McCann, Virtanen, Subban, Stewart
Miller 3 yrs, $6 mil per
Vrbata 2 yrs, $5 mil per
Kassian 2 yr, $1.75 per
Weber 1yr, $850K
Tanev 1yr, $2mil
Tanev 5yr, $4.45 mil per
Vey 1yr, $735K
Dorsett 3yr, $2.65 mil per
Sbisa 3 yr, $3.6 per
Kenins 1yr, $600K
-------------------
AHL - Fedun 1yr, $600K, Bachman 2yrs, $575K per, Jones 1yr, $600K, Grenier, 1yr
Vey 1yr, $1 mil
Bartkowski 1yr, $1.75 mil
Weber 1yr, $1.5 mil
Markstrom 2yrs, $1.55 per
Corrado, 1yr $600K
Clendening, 1yr $760K

Draft Class:

2014: Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin, Forsling, Pettit, Stewart
2015: Boeser, Brisebois, Zhukenov, Neill, Gaudette, Jasek, Olson

Year 1 turnover:

OUT:
Garrison, Kesler, Santorelli, Booth, Sestito, Dalpe, Schroeder, Welsh, Lain, Pelletier, Sauve, Ferriero, Mallet
IN:
Vrbata, Miller, Bonino, Vey, Dorsett, Sbisa, McMillan, Baertschi, Sanguinetti, Pedan, Clendening, Conacher, Acton, Hamilton

Year 2 turnover:

OUT:
Bieksa, Lack, Matthias, Richardson, Kassian, Eriksson, Conacher, O'Reilly, Sanguinetti, McNally, McMillan, Defazio
IN:
Bartkowski, Prust, Fedun, Bachman, Jones

==========================

High end Skill: Sedin, Sedin
Starts with B: Bonino, Baertstchi, Burrows
Starts with H:Higgins, Hansen, Horvat
Starts with V: Vey, Virtanen, Vrbata
Will hit you: Kenins, Dorsett, Prust

D: Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Weber, Sbisa, Bartkowski, Corrado, Clendening

G: Miller, Markstrom

Have at her....

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Odds of Benning bringing/inviting a journeyman goalie to training camp? (just as insurance - just release him at the end of/during camp if not needed).

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
We're all adults

LIES
Federal Law requires that you be 13 years of age or older to register for our forums.

:sarcasm:

Odds of Benning bringing/inviting a journeyman goalie to training camp? (just as insurance - just release him at the end of/during camp if not needed).

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't (assuming none are injured). We'll probably just use all of our goalies: Miller, Markstrom, Cannata, Bachman.

The Jesus*

Ive been off the site for a while. Has anything surfaced about what Benning offered for Lucic?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Ive been off the site for a while. Has anything surfaced about what Benning offered for Lucic?

1. Vancouver tried lots of things on Saturday. It was deep into the Milan Lucic sweepstakes, and apparently circled back to Boston on Saturday to see if the Bruins were still interested in Bieksa. It’s likely they pitched Zack Kassian too, as a kind of Lucic-Lite. Didn’t go anywhere. Could see Boston needing to take a trade time-out, though.

If I had to guess - knowing what Lucic went for (Jones, Colin Miller, and a 1st) - maybe 1st+Kassian+Lack?

The Jesus*

If I had to guess - knowing what Lucic went for (Jones and a 1st)... Maybe Kassian+Lack and perhaps a pick?

Well that's actually pretty reassuring. I was worried he put our 1st on the table for Lucic.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Well that's actually pretty reassuring. I was worried he put our 1st on the table for Lucic.
I think they probably did. Kassian was likely the Colin Miller-esque asset in the trade. I see LA's lower pick being the deal breaker.

On the other hand, perhaps Benning refusing to part with the first was the deal breaker. I can see both scenarios.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I'd say the biggest disappointment was that he didn't push hard for Hamilton

I don't think he even knew he was available.
Hence...
This:
CJAsUXHUcAAyzEO.jpg

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
We have pretty much zero idea what Benning offered for Lucic. We can assume Kassian was apart of it. Basing what the Bruins received does not have much relevance to what Benning offered. Maybe he was trying for a Bieksa and Kassian package but Sweeney wanted a 1st and a prospect as part of a deal, something like the Hamilton trade earlier that day. One thing we know the Benning wants to keep is his firsts and prospects.

Kassian, Lack and a 1st might be a comparable package that Sweeney may of been after but that doesn't mean that was what was offered to them.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
We have pretty much zero idea what Benning offered for Lucic. We can assume Kassian was apart of it. Basing what the Bruins received does not have much relevance to what Benning offered. Maybe he was trying for a Bieksa and Kassian package but Sweeney wanted a 1st and a prospect as part of a deal, something like the Hamilton trade earlier that day. One thing we know the Benning wants to keep is his firsts and prospects.

Kassian, Lack and a 1st might be a comparable package that Sweeney may of been after but that doesn't mean that was what was offered to them.

Benning will trade those for what he deems to be worthy though.
Lucic...
In his mind...
Will be that.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Though Lucic was already deemed unworthy otherwise he would be Canucks property at this moment. Come free agency may be a different story.

Benning wanted Lucic...
But L.A. had an apparently better offer.
He admitted as much when asked.

I have no reason to believe that Benning did not offer the 1st.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Benning wanted Lucic...
But L.A. had an apparently better offer.
He admitted as much when asked.

I have no reason to believe that Benning did not offer the 1st.

Wanted yes, willing to beat or match, no. Benning has said he isn't interested in moving those kind of pieces. Didn't sound like he had interest in moving those kind of pieces for Hamilton. I don't know one would assume he offered a 1st for Lucic. From what quote that Wisp posted it was a package based around Kassian and Bieksa.

If he doesn't sign with LA, I all but guarantee we'll sign him. Probably to stupid money.

If we don't acknowledge it, it won't come true right?

Seems Boston really wanted Edler from us. Maybe after getting torched by the media, Sweeney thought he could replace Hamilton. :laugh:

I vaguely recall some rumblings about Edler.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Wanted yes, willing to beat or match, no. Benning has said he isn't interested in moving those kind of pieces. Didn't sound like he had interest in moving those kind of pieces for Hamilton. I don't know one would assume he offered a 1st for Lucic. From what quote that Wisp posted it was a package based around Kassian and Bieksa.

Benning traded a second each for Vey and Bärtschi...
A third for Dorsett...
And then added a fifth for Prust...
So it is not unreasonable that he would add a first for Lucic.

Boston definitely demanded one...
And as Benning's sterling track record indicated...
He will not negotiate a lower asking price.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

If we don't acknowledge it, it won't come true right?

I vaguely recall some rumblings about Edler.

Calgary moved 3 picks for Hamilton. That's the type of trade he needed to make instead of acquiring reclamation projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad