The Jim Benning and Management Megathread - Part V (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I know I expected Bennings full vision to be clear and apparent and ready to go after a full 14 months. How dare he not complete all his goals in that span of time!

14 months is plenty of time to put your stamp on a team. Plenty of GMs have done it in less time and been successful. Look at what Jim Nill has done for Dallas and then look at the pile of excrement we've been served.

Benning is over his head and the sooner he gets fired the sooner we can return to being a respectable franchise. Right now, this team is a laughingstock around the rest of the NHL. Just four years ago they were the cream of the crop and other organizations were trying to emulate them as best they could. It's incredible how far things have fallen since then.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Quick hire back Gilman to get this guy an NTC!

Hey if including a limited NTC means we can sign Sutter for less than market value, I am all for it.

Do you think 4+ million is wise cap management?

I know I expected Bennings full vision to be clear and apparent and ready to go after a full 14 months. How dare he not complete all his goals in that span of time!

Feel free to convince me that Jim Benning is moving this franchise in the right direction. Even MSM is questioning what Benning is doing.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
14 months is plenty of time to put your stamp on a team. Plenty of GMs have done it in less time and been successful. Look at what Jim Nill has done for Dallas and then look at the pile of excrement we've been served.

Benning is over his head and the sooner he gets fired the sooner we can return to being a respectable franchise. Right now, this team is a laughingstock around the rest of the NHL. Just four years ago they were the cream of the crop and other organizations were trying to emulate them as best they could. It's incredible how far things have fallen since then.

I'm sorry what has Jim Nill done for Dallas?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Traded for a broken back dinosair, faltering attendance in the arena and didn't sniff the playoffs . Results are what matter

Dallas Stars depth chart right before Jim Nill took over in April 2013

Benn-Eakin-Eriksson
Whitney-Fiddler-Smith
Nystrom-Wandell-Cole
Roussel-Petersen-Garbutt
Macdermid, Vincour

Dillon-Robidas
Goligoski-Daley
Rome-Larsen
Benn

Lehtonen
Bachman

Dallas Stars now going into 2015-2016

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Sharp-Spezza-Hemsky
Roussel-Eakin-Ritchie
Sceviour-Fiddler-Eaves
Moen

Goligoski-Klingberg
Nemeth-Oduya
Benn-Demers
Oleksiak-Jokipakka

Lehtonen
Niemi

Yeah, their defence needs work. But I know which roster I'd take if you're gonna compare it to ours.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Traded for a broken back dinosair, faltering attendance in the arena and didn't sniff the playoffs . Results are what matter

But didn't you just say...

I mean, rebuilding teams is supposedly so hard we shouldn't criticise Benning. But by next season, if we bomb out, then it'll be okay?

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I'm sorry what has Jim Nill done for Dallas?

Just genuinely curious, but do you actually believe the things you say or is this just playing Devils advocate at every step?

Jim Nill has objectively been one of the best GM's in the past few years. Hes been on the job 2 years, and was the GM for Team Canada at the World Championships... hes pretty well regarded in a short period of time.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The transcript of that podcast interview on Reddit is horrifying.

Bonino was a great teammate, he had a good shot, and was good defensively, but the issue we had is that if he was not on our 2nd line, he is not your third line type player, he was smart with the puck, but we need somebody who can come up the ice with speed, and size, and play a more in your face style game.

If this quote doesn't highlight what a dinosaur this guy is, I don't know what will. He's stuck in the 80's and their "top 6 scores, bottom 6 checks" mentality. Focusing on player archetypes at the cost of quality instead, while the rest of the NHL has figured it out. This management team has a long, long way to go just to get back to modern-type thinking while 29 other teams improve... and hopefully they're not around long enough to actually give them that time to do catch-up.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sutter scored 40% more goals than Bonino but had half as many assists while playing with inferior line mates. That is not a "legitimately terrible offensive player", skip the hyperbole. Hell, Sutter scored more goals than Kesler did last year.

Using 40% is pretty good hyperbole when you're talking a 16 goal pace vs 20 goal pace.....

Career wise they score at a 15 goal/82 game pace (Bonino) and 16 goal/82 game pace (Sutter)

Did Sutter play with inferior linemates (hard to believe given how much crap Higgins takes on the board) or is it more of a factor that he doesn't use his linemates like Pittsburgh fans have relayed?

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Who has been the better GM in their tenure in your opinion? Nill or Benning?

Tough to say they've only been on the job a short while. As a practice I don't get to judgy with GMs work until year 3. Too early to see the body of work, drafting results, etc at this point.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It's a results driven business and he missed the playoffs and attendance is still a big problem in Dallas

Well, BG just blew away your theory. Either way, you're dodging. As said above, who has been the better GM? If we're evaluating GMs based on their results, we're looking at the rosters they've built after inheriting the prior regime's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad