The Jarmo Report (card)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So SJ, ANA, And LAK are comparable to OTT X2, Caps, and the Canes? Against better teams bob was able to get a win. Using games from where he was hurt skews the stats as well.

Bottom line is Bob was playing poorly, but no way we lose 9 straight with him.

I see where the confusion was. I didn't mean to suggest that we'd have this long of a losing streak with Bob in net. Having said that, we were going to lose far more than we've won.

Thanks

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Given the relative dearth of quality starting goalies around the league, Markstrom made a ton of sense. He's a guy who was regarded as being just a cut below franchise caliber, and he hasn't had a chance on anything resembling a quality team.

Not sure where you were going with this. Sounds like you just added another player in competition for the backup spot while moving on from C-Mac in a trade that JK may have even looked at?

There is no guarantee that he would have looked any better than our other goaltenders looking for another spot. I wouldn't have just handed him the backup spot.

He hasn't exactly lit on the AHL on fire either.

I feel like we're in nit-picking mode. I thought C-Mac did well enough to earn another year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Tr00 fans raging can lead to some bizarre statements.

Remember this thread?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1121655

:laugh:

That and so many, many more like it. :shakehead

On a positive note, it's been over six months now, so I'm starting to have hope that I've finally gotten rid of the last of those misled debt collectors. Maybe. :D

* * *​
I feel like we're in nit-picking mode. I thought C-Mac did well enough to earn another year.

I thought so too, and still believe that it was a reasonable call. That said, present performance isn't making me all that happy. :dunno:

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
You mean other than trading RJ for Hartnell and saving cap space to sign our two best players? I suppose you're right.

He had a team that seemed to be getting better, moved one of the "assets" tying us down for an asset that is now producing at anything beyond what RJ did for years, thought the team would improve with the return of Horton (it's not like he knew about the upcoming back issues), reserved cap space for our players that are going to need contracts, and saved a roster spot for one of our young forwards if they earned a spot. All this coming from a very young team that had it's best year in franchise history with real expectations of key players improving even more (Johansen, Jenner, Murray, Bob).

I think as fans we look at the current situation and don't look at the big picture. I'm not the least bit upset at the front office; there was no way to see this coming.

We're losing so this pops up again. Now we've got a thread talking about potentially firing Richards. I'm not the biggest fan of Richards, but I wouldn't even consider firing him at this point. But we've got to start winning some, even with the roster as it is now. I'm seeing the team starting to pick itself up a bit. Hopefully that starts translating into wins.

I can't really take some of the posters posts in here all that seriously, we've got a few that think Howson was great. I'm not going to revisit that again, but it tends to bias them even if they don't realize it.

I like the Hartnell move obviously. This team might be win-less if we still had Umby.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Not sure where you were going with this. Sounds like you just added another player in competition for the backup spot while moving on from C-Mac in a trade that JK may have even looked at?

There is no guarantee that he would have looked any better than our other goaltenders looking for another spot. I wouldn't have just handed him the backup spot.

He hasn't exactly lit on the AHL on fire either.

Markstrom, currently 6-0-1 with four shutouts, a 0.99 GAA, and a .963 save percentage, hasn't exactly lit the AHL on fire? Interesting.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Markstrom, currently 6-0-1 with four shutouts, a 0.99 GAA, and a .963 save percentage, hasn't exactly lit the AHL on fire? Interesting.

So you are saying that JK was supposed to predict the future? Interesting. The conversation was only relevant from the point in which JK made his decision.

Having said that, good for him.. 7 whole games. With that kind of snapshot in time, Mason should be the greatest goaltender of all time.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
So you are saying that JK was supposed to predict the future? Interesting. The conversation was only relevant from the point in which JK made his decision.

Having said that, good for him.. 7 whole games. With that kind of snapshot in time, Mason should be the greatest goaltender of all time.

I have to say that I've missed these discussions. We both know full well what the other person is actually getting at, but it's just so much more fun to jab and poke in a minimally pointed manner.

Now we just need someone to rouse the Capn out of hibernation and all will be right in the world.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Hindsight is 20/20 is one of the lamest cliches out there but it applies perfectly in this case. Let's not pretend this was expected or even remotely likely.

28 other teams didn't want Markstrom either.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Given the relative dearth of quality starting goalies around the league, Markstrom made a ton of sense. He's a guy who was regarded as being just a cut below franchise caliber, and he hasn't had a chance on anything resembling a quality team. If he comes in as a backup and plays well, someone would pony up assets at the deadline for him. From an asset standpoint it made sense.

A month ago the correct category for Markstrom was not "backup goalie", but "reclamation project". I'd like him now though. :D

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
This thread isn't even created if this team is just .500.

But we're not even close to .500, so this thread was created. In fact we're about to set a franchise record for consecutive losses, and this has been a troubled franchise so that's saying something. What's your point?

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
My opinion is that much of the accolades he's collected are on Howson's bill. He's really been able to enjoy the fruits of the labor of his predecessor, to me there's no question.

Things I've liked have included trading for Gaborik, extending Richards, and yes signing Horton, even though missing most of the first year of the contract because of surgery was odd. Still, it was a coup at the time and even though it hasn't worked out, I can't say I wasn't jazzed when it happened.

Jarmo annoys me (the Johansen saga stands out most, but Prospal, DMac, and Bob's bridge are there, too. And I don't like his lowball contracts for Letestu and Savard, even if those are considered by some to be "good management"), but I agree it's too early in his tenure to really land firmly on a performance assessment.

But he has really disappointed me with the approach to the injuries this year. Someone could have been signed. And before those who hear the word "savior" when someone mentions signing an FA to address the crisis, just stop. No one is talking about a savior. But a veteran presence on this young team would not hurt at all, and would show the room that the season is important.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Too early to tell. As some have said, this thread wouldn't exist if we were .500 and no amount of planning or bandages could mend the wounds we've got.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I just feel that we are beyond the injury excuse at this point. I'm not saying the team should be undefeated and injuries don't matter at all, but its how they have played during this stretch that is disappointing to me. The team just looks disinterested and defeated out there. The one canes game where they gave up 2 goals in the third looked a lot like the jackets of old. Giving up 4 goals in one period is unacceptable.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I just feel that we are beyond the injury excuse at this point. I'm not saying the team should be undefeated and injuries don't matter at all, but its how they have played during this stretch that is disappointing to me. The team just looks disinterested and defeated out there. The one canes game where they gave up 2 goals in the third looked a lot like the jackets of old. Giving up 4 goals in one period is unacceptable.

If Bob comes back and we're still sliding I'll give you the 'we should be past the injuries' argument. But right now we're playing with an empty net for all intents and purposes (I've really had it with Curtis if I've not made that clear lol). The D needs to clean things up but he's the last line of defense and he ain't getting it done. So if, when Bob's back, nothing is different, then I'll entertain your reasoning.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Don't get all the uproar on letting DMac go. If this team was healthy there is no place for him with Johansen/Dubi/Arty/Letestu down the middle. Then when you factor in the young Cs in the organization (Jenner/Wennberg/Chaput) where is there a place for DMac in 3 years?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
My opinion is that much of the accolades he's collected are on Howson's bill. He's really been able to enjoy the fruits of the labor of his predecessor, to me there's no question.

Things I've liked have included trading for Gaborik, extending Richards, and yes signing Horton, even though missing most of the first year of the contract because of surgery was odd. Still, it was a coup at the time and even though it hasn't worked out, I can't say I wasn't jazzed when it happened.

Jarmo annoys me (the Johansen saga stands out most, but Prospal, DMac, and Bob's bridge are there, too. And I don't like his lowball contracts for Letestu and Savard, even if those are considered by some to be "good management"), but I agree it's too early in his tenure to really land firmly on a performance assessment.

But he has really disappointed me with the approach to the injuries this year. Someone could have been signed. And before those who hear the word "savior" when someone mentions signing an FA to address the crisis, just stop. No one is talking about a savior. But a veteran presence on this young team would not hurt at all, and would show the room that the season is important.

I like this post.... Gaborik, Horton, Joey's contract in the media and stupid has it may sound, not having the correct complement of defensemen for that game in Buffalo stand out to me...

As for Mac the back-up none of us could have known he wasn't ready to play at the NHL level, at some point we must trust the GM to know these things for us...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Don't get all the uproar on letting DMac go. If this team was healthy there is no place for him with Johansen/Dubi/Arty/Letestu down the middle. Then when you factor in the young Cs in the organization (Jenner/Wennberg/Chaput) where is there a place for DMac in 3 years?

Just a point of reference I believe the 4 guys you listed as our strength down the middle all were here last year along with D-Mac. In fact I remember Letestu & D-Mac playing together on many occasions. Matching his $ and term in Florida was very doable in terms of roster space and cap dollars for the next 3 years. IMO it is the biggest bone headed move by Jarmo just barely eking out the Gabby trade to LA because Gabby probably wasn't going to be re-signed as a free agent.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com

Id take Dmac at wing over Boll 7 days a week and twice on Sunday

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
If Bob comes back and we're still sliding I'll give you the 'we should be past the injuries' argument. But right now we're playing with an empty net for all intents and purposes (I've really had it with Curtis if I've not made that clear lol). The D needs to clean things up but he's the last line of defense and he ain't getting it done. So if, when Bob's back, nothing is different, then I'll entertain your reasoning.

Me too.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
What this team does when its healthy (December and on?) is going to be the measuring stick for this front office.

Its easy to say resigning Boll, standing pat with the backup netminder and letting McKenzie go were mistakes when we are depleted and being outshot 2-1 many nights, but these circumstances are beyond reasonable. Noone has a plan B in place for this kind of mess. If we were healthy minus Bob, you'd see us winning games with reasonable backup netminding, but to hang a backup out to dry with half an AHL roster in front of him isn't reasonable.

I give JD/JK (they are a package imo) a C at this point in their tenure.

FWIW my closing grade for Howson would be a B-.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
Panthers fan here, I notice that several people here have mentioned DMac being let go. I have to say, that was not a smart move. He's the PERFECT 4th line player. The energy he brings to the ice is incredible, he shows more emotion than our top line centers.

jpsquill

Oct 15, 2014
Panthers fan here, I notice that several people here have mentioned DMac being let go. I have to say, that was not a smart move. He's the PERFECT 4th line player. The energy he brings to the ice is incredible, he shows more emotion than our top line centers.

Don't rub it in! :cry:

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'm giving around a C- at this point. We can't accurately project the draft picks at this time.

The negatives- 1. Not signing back Dmac was stupid in my belief. We'll sign Boll to just be a 4th line/healthy scratch player for us, but not Dmac because of Wennberg, Jenner or Chaput? Signing D'amigo and Gibbons. I like Gibbons on the 4th line, but D'amigo is a waste in the AHL right now even with all of our injuries here. Meanwhile, Comeau is playing for Pittsburgh.
2. We got fleeced horrifically in the Gaborik trade both ways.
3. Having McBackup as our #2 option with Forsberg and Dansk in the AHL. That was a disaster waiting to happen, we should have gotten a higher quality NHL backup.

Positives- At least this organization is willing to give try outs to players such as Simon Hjalmarsson. The Hartnell trade is working out for us, but we lucked into that one.

Withholding my thoughts on the Bob and Johansen contract situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad