The Jarmo Report (card)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
What a horrible start to the season. With many on the hot seat, my question is what grade would you give Jarmo since the time he has been here? Are you happy with his moves, or lack of them? What has he done, or has not done, that has pleased or angered you? I have a hard time giving him a good grade, when many of the players we have were from the Howson time here (not that I want Howson back, mind you).

I give him a C-

Did little in the offseason (yes he got Harty for Umby, a good move),

Had a protracted contract negotiation with Johansen

No backup goalie depth

Fourth line has NO energy

I can't blame Richards, this is Jarmo's responsibility

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
He has failed miserably on trades and free agent signings (save Hartnell-for-Umby, which fell into his lap).

He decimated a damn good 4th line from last year.

Mismanaged the backup goalie situation.

Has had a couple good drafts, IMO.

I'd go with a D.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
The backup goalie issue has been a glaring problem since the Mason trade, it's quagmire every time Bob is injured or has to rest. Forsberg isn't ready and McBackup can't handle more than a few games a season. It's been a lot more costly than Jarmo expected I'm sure.

Very bad luck on the injury front though, so I'm not sacrificing him for that. It does expose the team's depth however, it's not as deep as it seemed like. Letting McKenzie walk while holding into Boll is the sort of decision that bites the team in the ass when TOI needs to be redistributed.

We could really use an upgrade on the back end too, we have too many young tweeners (from Savard to Erixon) and too many big-minute munchers who aren't very steady (Wiz and JJ specially). No signs of such coming, though, and it's likely some of the young guys won't have any value by the season's end.

The Hartnell deal was nice.

All in all, a solid C-.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Im confused about the backup goalie situation. What did Mcelhinney do last year to show he didn't deserve a shot this year? Easy to look now and say it but there was no reason to think it before the injuries
The one area I'd have any complaint about is the defense

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Im confused about the backup goalie situation. What did Mcelhinney do last year to show he didn't deserve a shot this year? Easy to look now and say it but there was no reason to think it before the injuries

How about getting a quality #3? Why rely on two rookies to be a backup if you get an injury?

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203

Mac got the wins last year largely due to the team playing in front of him. Go back and watch the games, many nights the rebound control was just as shoddy as we are seeing this year.

As for Jarmo, I will go with a C. The Hartnell acquisition saves him from a failing grade IMO.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

What did he do to show he was ready for NHL play???

Regardless, Yarmo gets a C- from me... Lets face it, this Euro GM experiment so far has not paid off, we need a traditional North American General Manager... A GM with some NHL GM experience..

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Regardless, Yarmo gets a C- from me... Lets face it, this Euro GM experiment so far has not paid off, we need a traditional North American General Manager... A GM with some NHL GM experience..

Don Cherry, is that you?!

thebus2288*

Howson should've never been fired. Hitchcock should've never been fired.

Not so much that I have an issue with Kek and Davidson or Richards, just that I think Howson and Hitch were/are better.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Ignorance much? The fact that Jarmo has not succeeded to your liking has nothing to do with him being European. Absolutely unnecessary.

I say C.

+

Winning culture
Good contracts given out sans Boll
Seems to be a good drafter

-

Questionable roster moves (MacKenzie, Gaborik 2x, McElhinney as backup)

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

Nothing, exactly what he has done this year to show he belongs in the NHL.

Jarmo should have been burning up the phone lines when Bob went down for 1-2 weeks with a broken finger.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Well, in fairness, no one here can say for certain that he didn't. Just because something didn't come to fruition doesn't mean he wasn't looking.

I think there is a certain understanding that no one knows and anything posted by a bunch of angry fans on the interwebs should be taken with a grain of salt.

That being said, I find it hard to believe that Mcwhatever is the second best goalie this franchise can employ. If Jarmo is as great of a GM as we have been led to believe, I put this on him to fix.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Atta boy Robert, I concur! Beat me to it! haha

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Fourth line has NO energy

I can't blame Richards, this is Jarmo's responsibility

You realize when everyone is healthy, the 4th line should be something like Skille - Letestu - Boll/Tropp. Right?

Outside of Boll, the 4th line has been Chaput (should be in the A) and a rotating LW of Tropp, Cracknell, Dano, Tyrell, etc. No chemistry, no cohesion, and a center who's never played a bottom line role.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
All joking aside, I think it's a D- grade at this point. Hartnell was a great trade. Drafting Rychel will turn out eventually. Letting DMac walk over a year is wrong, injuries or not, Dmac was a heart and soul guy. Comeau, I liked more than Tropp so I would have kept him. Not upgrading our defense via trade or free agency in the off season, is inexcusable, they are brutal-healthy or not. Don't think he should have dug in quite so hard with RyJo, might have done some long term damage. All the crappy 3rd and 4th line signings have been garbage, Gibbons, Cracknell, etc. Let's not forget letting Skille walk-he's been one of few that gives consistent effort. Can't fault him on the backup goalie, I had CMac's back until tonight, that was it for me, he's been god awful. I also hated the trade for Gaborik, wouldn't have let Dorse go, another heart and soul guy. Ok I'm switching to an F

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Scout (Jarmo) and the Broadcaster (JD) have not acquitted themselves well this year for certain.

Other than the gift of Hartnell for a worthless RJ Umberger, who was probably going to get an amnesty buyout, what have they done since the end of last season which could be characterized as a positive?

Jarmo and JD are very lucky that they are in a hockey backwater right now. Had they pulled the Alfred E Neuman "What me Worry? I'm not going to do anything" crap in a major NHL market they would have been (rightly) crucified. While the amount of injuries has been astounding and it would have been impossible to fully compensate for the lost pieces, signing absolutely no one and making zero trades while the team has been brutally shorthanded is nothing shy of pathetic-especially given that the CBJ have salary cap space and room for additional NHL contracts.

The Scout and the Broadcaster can only point to their drafting (as any GM could after two years on the job) and the Hartnell fleecing as their positives. Oh, and signing Dubinski long term and Letestu to a two year deal and extending Richards. Other than that, there's not much positive. They botched the Johansen deal, dumped DMac over peanuts, signed the completely and utterly useless Boll to a ridiculous deal, didn't sign Bob long term for a discount when they had the chance, failed in securing an adequate back up goalie, gave away a proven scorer prior to the playoffs last season for nothing and have obviously no idea how to sign decent organizational depth players to fill in when injuries occur. Other than F. St. Denis, the entire crew of Springfield NHL contracted players are garbage in the NHL.

Oh, yeah. And that Horton thing.

I'll give the not so dynamic duo a D. And only because I'm a grade inflator.

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Quick synapses of all transactions. Moves involving NHL players are bolded. Draft picks are excluded, as are trades that only involved draft picks.

Hired February 13, 2013
- Traded Tomas Kubalik for Spencer Machacek (3/10/2103)
- Acquired Matthew Ford for future considerations (3/12/2013)
- Acquired Blake Comeau from Calgary for a 2013 5th-rounder (#135 - Eric Roy) (4/3/2013)
- Traded Steve Mason to Philly for Michael Leighton and a 2015 3rd-rounder (4/3/2013)
- Traded Derick Brassard, John Moore, Derek Dorsett, and a 2014 6th-rounder (#167 - Chase Lang) to NY Rangers for Marian Gaborik, Blake Parlett, and Steven Delisle (4/3/2013)
- Acquired Patrick Killeen from Pittsburgh for future considerations (4/3/2013)
- Signed Ilari Melart (5/24/2013)
- Declined to tender qualifying offers to Allen York, Colton Gillies, Patrick Killeen, Steven Delisle, and whatever T. Ruth went by at the time (7/2/2013)
- Allowed Adrian Aucoin, Andrew Joudrey, Matthew Ford, Michael Leighton, Ryan Russell, Sean Collins, Nick Drazenovic, Nick Holden, and Vinny Prospal to become UFAs (7/5/2013)
- Signed Ryan Craig, Thomas Larkin, Mike McKenna, Patrick McNeill, Jack Skille, and Frederic St. Denis to two-way contracts (7/5/2013)
- Signed Nathan Horton (7/5/2013)
- Re-signed Jared Boll
- Claimed Corey Tropp off waivers from Buffalo (11/28/2014)
- Traded Spencer Machacek to Pittsburgh for Paul Thompson (2/6/2014)
- Traded Blake Parlett to Boston for Carter Camper (2/7/2014)
- Traded Marian Gaborik to Los Angeles for Matt Frattin and two 2nd-round picks (3/5/2014) - NOTE - this isn't 100% accurate, but it's a lot easier than going through the conditional parts
- Acquired Nick Schultz from Edmonton for a 2014 5th-rounder (3/5/2014)
- Traded Dalton Smith and Jonathan Audy-Marchessault to Tampa Bay for Matt Taormina and Dana Tyrell (3/5/2014)
- Signed Simon Hjalmarsson (6/4/2014)
- Traded RJ Umberger and a 2015 4th-rounder to Philadelphia for Scott Hartnell (6/20/2014)
- Traded Nikita Nikitin to Edmonton for the previously-sent 2014 5th-rounder. In essence, Nikitin was traded to Edmonton for nine games of Nick Schultz.
- Declined to tender qualifying offers to Oliver Gabriel, Jake Hansen, and Anton Blomqvist
- Allowed Carter Camper, Matt Taormina, Nick Schultz, Patrick McNeill, Paul Thompson, Blake Comeau, Cody Bass, Derek MacKenzie, Jack Skille, and Mike McKenna to become UFAs
- Traded Matt Frattin to Toronto for Jerry D'Amigo (7/1/2014)
- Signed Brian Gibbons as a UFA (7/4/2014)
- Claimed Jack Skille off waivers (10/4/2014)
- Claimed Adam Cracknell off waivers (10/6/2014)

Now, if someone wants to weave this all into a narrative, have at it. I may do it at some point, but I don't feel like it right now.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Quick synapses of all transactions. Moves involving NHL players are bolded. Draft picks are excluded, as are trades that only involved draft picks.

Hired February 13, 2013
- Traded Tomas Kubalik for Spencer Machacek (3/10/2103)
- Acquired Matthew Ford for future considerations (3/12/2013)
- Acquired Blake Comeau from Calgary for a 2013 5th-rounder (#135 - Eric Roy) (4/3/2013)
- Traded Steve Mason to Philly for Michael Leighton and a 2015 3rd-rounder (4/3/2013)
- Traded Derick Brassard, John Moore, Derek Dorsett, and a 2014 6th-rounder (#167 - Chase Lang) to NY Rangers for Marian Gaborik, Blake Parlett, and Steven Delisle (4/3/2013)
- Acquired Patrick Killeen from Pittsburgh for future considerations (4/3/2013)
- Signed Ilari Melart (5/24/2013)
- Declined to tender qualifying offers to Allen York, Colton Gillies, Patrick Killeen, Steven Delisle, and whatever T. Ruth went by at the time (7/2/2013)
- Allowed Adrian Aucoin, Andrew Joudrey, Matthew Ford, Michael Leighton, Ryan Russell, Sean Collins, Nick Drazenovic, Nick Holden, and Vinny Prospal to become UFAs (7/5/2013)
- Signed Ryan Craig, Thomas Larkin, Mike McKenna, Patrick McNeill, Jack Skille, and Frederic St. Denis to two-way contracts (7/5/2013)
- Signed Nathan Horton (7/5/2013)
- Re-signed Jared Boll
- Claimed Corey Tropp off waivers from Buffalo (11/28/2014)
- Traded Spencer Machacek to Pittsburgh for Paul Thompson (2/6/2014)
- Traded Blake Parlett to Boston for Carter Camper (2/7/2014)
- Traded Marian Gaborik to Los Angeles for Matt Frattin and two 2nd-round picks (3/5/2014) - NOTE - this isn't 100% accurate, but it's a lot easier than going through the conditional parts
- Acquired Nick Schultz from Edmonton for a 2014 5th-rounder (3/5/2014)
- Traded Dalton Smith and Jonathan Audy-Marchessault to Tampa Bay for Matt Taormina and Dana Tyrell (3/5/2014)
- Signed Simon Hjalmarsson (6/4/2014)
- Traded RJ Umberger and a 2015 4th-rounder to Philadelphia for Scott Hartnell (6/20/2014)
- Traded Nikita Nikitin to Edmonton for the previously-sent 2014 5th-rounder. In essence, Nikitin was traded to Edmonton for nine games of Nick Schultz.
- Declined to tender qualifying offers to Oliver Gabriel, Jake Hansen, and Anton Blomqvist
- Allowed Carter Camper, Matt Taormina, Nick Schultz, Patrick McNeill, Paul Thompson, Blake Comeau, Cody Bass, Derek MacKenzie, Jack Skille, and Mike McKenna to become UFAs
- Traded Matt Frattin to Toronto for Jerry D'Amigo (7/1/2014)
- Signed Brian Gibbons as a UFA (7/4/2014)
- Claimed Jack Skille off waivers (10/4/2014)
- Claimed Adam Cracknell off waivers (10/6/2014)

Now, if someone wants to weave this all into a narrative, have at it. I may do it at some point, but I don't feel like it right now.

When you put it like that....is F- an option?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have to join in the criticism of JK. His is not a pretty record of performance at all.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Same reason that GM of the year award is garbage -- hard to judge a GM until a few years after his tenure.

Then again, Howson is looking better and better as time goes on so i'll go ahead and eat my hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad