The Jack Johnson trash talking discussion

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
He didn't say he couldn't wait to get out of Columbus to go to a winning culture. He said he wanted [as an unrestricted free agent] to go to a winning culture, as anyone would.

Well let's not pretend Johnson was falling over himself to publicly thank the Jackets for his tenure until this flared up. Obviously there is some bad blood there between his trade request that never happened and his benching in the playoffs.

All this is now is damage control.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
No he didn't. He said I've been looking to be which makes it a slap at Columbus and their players, coaches, and front office. It would have been totally different if he had said I was looking for a winning environment. It would have really been different if he had said I am leaving a great place and was looking for another winning environment. I didn't want to just go some place for the money.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The guys really stepped up and made a difference in the playoffs.
If they don't face Washington in the 1st round we're singing a different tune.

Jarmo said at the start of the offseason that he thinks this team is near to where the Pens and Caps are right now and that the not having won in the first round is because of who we faced rather than how good we are.

Reactions: mikeyp24

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Oh yeah. Bad idea, por form. I’m not proud that part of me liked it,

I don't mind the occasional rant and I didn't like the remark from the Pens. However, Torts went too far here, IMO. Any response should have come from the FO. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ wasn't a fan of Torts and wasn't all that happy with how his time ended with the Jackets, it could have impacted his next contract.

It's up to JJ to prove who was right and who was wrong. I will say that I would have kicked the tires with Trotz before he signed his next deal. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of Torts. I've seen how Trotz manages a roster and I'm more of a fan of that than this show that Torts is putting on.

Reactions: EspenK

WashedUp

Mar 28, 2014
Oh and if we play the Pens who swept us in the regular season and has eliminated us in the playoffs every time we've played them, we'd be singing a different tune? What would that tune be?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If you are LOOKING to be in a winning culture, that means you are saying you weren't in one previously. Otherwise, you wouldn't say it or you would say it differently. This makes him look so bad and I am so glad he is no longer a Blue Jacket.

He was LOOKING to be in a winning culture because he was a free agent LOOKING for a job.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Good entertainment from all parties!

I think one would be remiss to forget that JJ embraced his trade to the CBJ from LA. He was a huge force in the shift of culture here. Ironic, eh?

I wish him well in Pittsburgh. I'm glad he'll have plenty of $ for the rest of his life. The most recent exchange between JJ and CBJ management will probably have a short shelf life.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I f***ing love Torts and honestly dont know how people dont like him. He is open honest and will always tell you how he feels. Exactly the style I loved playing for in Baseball and to an extent how I coached but with cleaner language because they were under 16 but I f***ing love the guy. Wouldnt have wanted anything different from the guy leading our boys out there every night.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As a Penguins fan I’m getting sick and tired of Rutherford talking just to talk. That being said Torts is just as guilty.

JJ is not a player I would’ve signed, but he said nothing wrong. CBJ management is better than this BS and Kekelainan came off like a pro with his comments. Torts and JR look like f***ing children. One trying to defend an asisine contract and the other running his mouth like he always does.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
As has been noted, he said, "I've been looking".

Looking since when, this morning?

Since April? We don't know. He's been confirmed gone from the Jackets for months. Can we forgive him for thinking about where he might go when July 1st comes around?

"I've been looking" is a grammatically correct way of expressing that he has been looking for some period of time - that could be a few hours or a few months. Or it could be a few years - but it doesn't have to be interpreted that way and shouldn't be.

AZRoadRunner

CBJ Tucson
Mar 29, 2014
Arizona
I don't mind the occasional rant and I didn't like the remark from the Pens. However, Torts went too far here, IMO. Any response should have come from the FO. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ wasn't a fan of Torts and wasn't all that happy with how his time ended with the Jackets, it could have impacted his next contract.

It's up to JJ to prove who was right and who was wrong. I will say that I would have kicked the tires with Trotz before he signed his next deal. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of Torts. I've seen how Trotz manages a roster and I'm more of a fan of that than this show that Torts is putting on.
Agree re Torts. When he was first hired, I was ambivalent. He has a fiery personality which can be infectious at first. The intensity can energize a team. But the downside is that his edginess can rub people, including some of his own players, the wrong way. His recent history, going back to the Rangers, is that he can motivate his teams to reach a certain level, but they inevitably plateau short of a Stanley Cup. IMO, he's much too emotional and intense - it's counterproductive and can adversely affect his judgment. Everything from his well-chronicled tirades with NY reporters, the locker room incident when he was with Vancouver, the gratuitous toilet seat comment about Calvert, and now his over-the-top remarks about JJ and JR. The whiny, unprofessional shtick gets old after a while.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Tortorella should have made a joke about JJs credit rating.

I really don’t have a problem with Johnson’s comments but that comment from Rutherford is pretty stupid.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
If they don't face Washington in the 1st round we're singing a different tune.

Jarmo said at the start of the offseason that he thinks this team is near to where the Pens and Caps are right now and that the not having won in the first round is because of who we faced rather than how good we are.
Excuses are like ***holes. They stink and everybody has one.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I ****ing love Torts and honestly dont know how people dont like him. He is open honest and will always tell you how he feels. Exactly the style I loved playing for in Baseball and to an extent how I coached but with cleaner language because they were under 16 but I ****ing love the guy. Wouldnt have wanted anything different from the guy leading our boys out there every night.
A wise man once said nothing.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He didn't say he couldn't wait to get out of Columbus to go to a winning culture. He said he wanted [as an unrestricted free agent] to go to a winning culture, as anyone would.
This is how I saw it, too. My take on it wasn't that he was taking a shot at Columbus, but acknowledging he landed with a new team that has a winning culture. It doesn't mean because Pittsburg does that Columbus doesn't.......be mad it Rutherford if you like, but shots at Jack may be unwarranted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad