The Jack Johnson trash talking discussion

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
It's all taken out of context. This is from The Athletic, Portzline's article.
"I didn't mean it in any way shape or form as a backhand towards Columbus," Johnson told The Athletic. "It's just ... Pittsburgh's won two (Stanley) Cups in the last three years, and there's a winning culture there. I didn't mean it in any way to insult the Blue Jackets at all."

He even called Davidson to apologize for any misunderstanding.
Rutherford on the other hand should shut the f*** up.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
John Tortorella - mid season form on July 1st.

Awesome!

So if he's in midseason form does that mean we'll be eliminated in about 3 months?

Torts and upper mngt would rather tell each other how smart they are rather than admit they screwed up. Not playing JJ was a bad decision in first round.

Now I think Pittsburgh overpaid for him, but good for JJ. he is going to a better run team that tries to win. Not a team that tries to not lose money.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
So if he's in midseason form does that mean we'll be eliminated in about 3 months?

Torts and upper mngt would rather tell each other how smart they are rather than admit they screwed up. Not playing JJ was a bad decision in first round.

Now I think Pittsburgh overpaid for him, but good for JJ. he is going to a better run team that tries to win. Not a team that tries to not lose money.

Actually, it's sort of the opposite. They were so poorly run that they got Crosby and malkin. CBJ just hasn't sucked as badly as Pitt did, nor timed their suckiness as well.

Also, most folks don't admit to mistakes that aren't clearly mistakes. I still don't think it was a mistake to sit JJ and we'll never know for sure.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Actually, it's sort of the opposite. They were so poorly run that they got Crosby and malkin. CBJ just hasn't sucked as badly as Pitt did, nor timed their suckiness as well.

Also, most folks don't admit to mistakes that aren't clearly mistakes. I still don't think it was a mistake to sit JJ and we'll never know for sure.
Yeah Pittsburgh is pretty much a franchise that almost flatlined before it got Lemieux then almost flatlined until it got Crosby.

They aren't viable unless they've got a generational talent. Sort of like the Cavs.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yeah Pittsburgh is pretty much a franchise that almost flatlined before it got Lemieux then almost flatlined until it got Crosby.

They aren't viable unless they've got a generational talent. Sort of like the Cavs.

It's the thing that I find most unbearable about their fans, as well. It's like they either have no idea (AKA massive bandwagon fans) or they selectively choose not to remember that part of their history while they're doing their shit-talking. It wasn't even that long ago!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's the thing that I find most unbearable about their fans, as well. It's like they either have no idea (AKA massive bandwagon fans) or they selectively choose not to remember that part of their history while they're doing their ****-talking. It wasn't even that long ago!
I'm sure that will happen when the Jackets have sustained success too. It happened with Chicago, it's going to happen with Toronto, etc.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm sure that will happen when the Jackets have sustained success too. It happened with Chicago, it's going to happen with Toronto, etc.

Don't think Chicago or Toronto are/will be nearly to the level of the Pens' fans arrogance/shortsightedness/whatever you want to call it, but yeah, there are/will be plenty of other bandwagon fans.

I didn't hate Chicago/Detroit fans back when they dominated the CBJ like I hate Pens fans. They'll likely always be #1 on my shitlist.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I didn't hate Chicago/Detroit fans back when they dominated the CBJ like I hate Pens fans. They'll likely always be #1 on my ****list.

I don't think you remember the Detroit fans that well during our first few years of existence. The taunting as they beat our expansion franchise before there was a cap.

The Hawks weren't good for a long time, so not much there. We both got off the playoff drought in 08/09, after years of being pretty close to each other in the standings. We were ahead of them a few years. Honestly, I don't remember much of a change after they got good. They might have, but at that point I wasn't at many CBJ games when the Hawks came into town.

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don't think you remember the Detroit fans that well during our first few years of existence. The taunting as they beat our expansion franchise before there was a cap.

The Hawks weren't good for a long time, so not much there.

I did hate them, just not with the full force of the sun like I hate the Pens' crew. I also didn't find their team nearly as detestable since they weren't quite as eager to hire cheap-shot artists as the Pens have been. I actually really respected Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom. Can't say the same about Malkin/Letang/so on and so forth.

But yeah, there may be some recency bias of some sort going on here :)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I did hate them, just not with the full force of the sun like I hate the Pens' crew. I also didn't find their team nearly as detestable since they weren't quite as eager to hire cheap-shot artists as the Pens have been. I actually really respected Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom. Can't say the same about Malkin/Letang/so on and so forth.

But yeah, there may be some recency bias of some sort going on here :)

I remember drowning out "Let's go Red Wings" with "Drop Dead Red Wings" during many a game. It might be hard to believe but I can get quite load.. heh. It was kind of amusing watching them sit down after I started.

I lived in Pittsburgh for a year, yeah their fans kind of suck in all sports. Especially football. We're really kind of amatures in professional sports. Someday we'll probably be just as bad.

My favorite moment as a fan in situations like thess was actually mocking of our own fans. I just yelled at one of our players "For the love of all that is holy, can you please center the puck so this guy behind me will shut up!". The entire section started laughing. I'm glad I haven't heard much of that in the last decade.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
The mains sure are a trip in condescension from pens fans yeeesh.

I'll never understand why purple get so wrapped around the axle hating other fans.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
lol, ok Torts. It was amusing reading this through the profanity filter. On a side note, I have no ill will toward JJ. He was a good citizen when he was here.
No doubt. I was a big JJ fan ( still got him in my av ) but I just think what he said, and the d-bags he signed with was really messed up on his part and pretty much a stab in the back.
Who the hell wants to play for the dirty ass Penguins anyway?
Not to mention the beef we’ve had with them for the last 4+ years
What a sick joke...
Enjoy being around the biggest whiners and punks in the league JJ

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Here was the most disturbing thing I've read: "The Jackets reportedly offered Johnson a seven-year contract worth about $25 million last summer, which he rejected."

What is wrong with this organization? Thankfully that was turned down. Probably had a no trade clause too. The goal, CBJ, is to avoid stockpiling future buyout candidates.

Is Mike Commodore available?

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
1. I'm fine with JJ. Maybe he could have phrased his comment better, but he's a proud man and I have no doubt the healthy scratched burned him. I appreciate the follow-up comments. Thanks for work in turning around the CBJ and hopefully he will get his financial life in order now.

2. Rutherford can kiss my ass.

3. Torts handled it differently than I would have, but I like the fire and the passion in defending the CBJ. Great entertainment too. Great job, Torts!

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Torts knows EXACTLY what he's doing. He's unloaded on Pittsburgh before. You can always count on Pittsburgh fans and bloggers to respond with condescension and disrespect. Don't think for a second that won't be used throughout the season to remind our boys they haven't made it yet.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

Eliminated in 3 months? Let's see.....July, August, September. The CBJ will not have played a meaningful game in 3 months. How can they be eliminated? Not certain what you are trying to say. Perhaps you are saying the team sucks, or the coach sucks or the FO sucks or some combination, or they all suck.

John Tortorella has had them in the playoffs the last two years. What other coach has done that? Didn't think so.

You are entitled to your opinion. You don't like anything about the team. We all get it.

About your comment of "tell each other how smart they are", allow me to ask you; when Torts said he was going to call Wild Bill Karlsson to discuss how he was used this season and what Torts did wrong.....shows me your comment is 100% off base. That sounds like a man willing to learn from his mistakes. But of course that doesn't fit your narrative.

Let's leave it at this.......we just disagree. We always have....we always will.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Here was the most disturbing thing I've read: "The Jackets reportedly offered Johnson a seven-year contract worth about $25 million last summer, which he rejected."

What is wrong with this organization? Thankfully that was turned down. Probably had a no trade clause too. The goal, CBJ, is to avoid stockpiling future buyout candidates.

Is Mike Commodore available?
It was 7yr 21mil from.what I remember when it happened and that was pre season coming off his best season and the term was more of a thank you for your time here... here is your reward. He turned it down wanting more money. His play greatly declined and he came back saying he wanted to sign and they pulled the deal. Thats should show you they know what they are doing. Just like Anderson's hold out. Look how well it was handled. He signed term for less then what the original money was and it worked out great.

Other then the semi shakey VERY early moves from a first time GM with Dubi (still ok with Folignos deal) he has brought in bargin deals with guys like Jones and Wennberg and Cam. Bobs contract was forced by the KHL. But that money hasnt hurt us and Bob has only had a positive effect on ecerything he has done. He doesnt pick the cup winners 2 out of 3 times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad