Value of: The + in a 3rd OA and 10th OA swap

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Exactly. Habs aren't moving 3rd overall for RNH, a 50pt 2nd line C that makes 6M.

At least if they trade it for an elite winger like Drai, they can try him at C and hope he develops chemistry with Drouin.
Didn't MB trade Sergachev for a 40 point LW that makes 5.5m?

Oh, and Draisaitl is already a more than an adequate centre now

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
It would live and die with Draisaitl.
If he’s included, the trade could happen.
If he’s not, it won’t.
RNH doesn’t even get the conversation started.
Are you out of your mind ? Realistically the difference in value between 3 and 10 is likely a low first rounder , or two seconds. Draisaitl, lol.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Montreal needs a center. There isn't a great option in this draft. I was trying to come up with a deal that gives Montreal ROR, Edmonton the 3rd, and Buffalo some good pieces ( Was thinking something like RNH and Galchenyuk). But in the end one team would feel like they got screwed.

Last edited:

Jan 21, 2018
You really don't. If big, 2 way ,22 year old, signed for 8 years centers are so easy to get. My challenge to you is: go get one.
you're right about that. what does this have to do with draisaitl though? he signed for 8 years and is now a winger that gets 70 pts playing half the season with McDavid

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Dunno if Edmonton would want 3rd overall that badly. Zadina has a Puljujarvi feel to him. Don't know if he's gonna be as good as people think

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No secret the Habs want a centre. I’m guessing if the Oilers want that pick, it’ll probably be Draisaitl for Galchenyuk + 3rd OA

Your values between this and your Oilers/Pens/Flames monstrosity are so far off.

Drai doesn't get moved for that.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Personally I think the Habs should just take Kotka.

That kid is legit and the best centre in the draft.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Lol wtf
We love Zadina and little of what your willing to cough up would be enough. And no Yanamoto won't do.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I really don't see a huge difference in value from picking at #3 and at #10 in this draft. I would not be willing to add what it would realistically take to move up the 7 spots...

I mean, decades of proof show you are wrong, but ok.

#3OA since 2000

Heiskanen
Dubois
Strome
Draisaitl
Drouin
Galchenyuk
Huberdeau
Gudbranson
Duchene
Bogosian
Turris
Toews
Johnson
Ladd
Horton
JayBo
Svitov
Gaborik

vs

Tippett
Jost
Rantanen
Ritchie
Nichushkin
Koekkoek
Brodin
MPS
Hodgson
Ellerby
Frolik
Bourdin
Valabik
Kostitsyn
Nystrom
Blackburn
Yakubov

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Since 2000, #10 OA picks

Tippett
Jost
Rantanen
Ritchie
Nichushkin
Koekkoek
Brodin
MPS
Hodgson
Ellerby
Frolik
Bourdin
Valabik
Kostitsyn
Nystrom
Blackburn
Yakubov

Its too early on Tippett and Jost, but outside of Rantanen and Brodin, lost of disappointment and mediocrity there.

In every thread, don't think #10 has as much value as Oilers fans think, although it always depends on who is there at 1o and what individual teams value a certain guy at. Can't see 10 being moved until draft day unless its an extra piece on a deal.
10th overall will be a decent player but not close to a core player like the 3rd overall. I expect somebody like Smith at 10, comparable to a Fowler. I good #2 NHL d-man, probably 2-3 years away. But the 3rd overall will be either Zadina or Svechinokov. A Hossa type player who can play immediately. Going to take quite a good player to drop down from 3 to 10.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
10th overall will be a decent player but not close to a core player like the 3rd overall. I expect somebody like Smith at 10, comparable to a Fowler. I good #2 NHL d-man, probably 2-3 years away. But the 3rd overall will be either Zadina or Svechinokov. A Hossa type player who can play immediately. Going to take quite a good player to drop down from 3 to 10.

WAY higher chance of completely busting at #10. There has been ONE (ONE!) top 4 d-men (Brodin) drafted at #10 OA since 2000. One! And a whole lot of busts.

Conversely, at #3OA, only 1 guy (Svitov) didn't become top 4D or top 6F since 2000. HUGE change in value between the picks.

Reactions: Spooky Actions

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I could see a reverse Hall-Larsson trade where Habs are so desperate for a good C and they overpay.

3rd + Galchenyuk for Draisaitl

I'd take that for Edmonton if Carolina would pass on Svechnikov for our 40th ov for say a 4th rounder. Carolina gets a good pick and Zadina to pair with Necas. Montreal gets their long term #1 center perhaps even Edmonton adds a pick or prospect. The base of the deal is sensible amyways.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd take that for Edmonton if Carolina would pass on Svechnikov for our 40th ov for say a 4th rounder. Carolina gets a good pick and Zadina to pair with Necas. Montreal gets their long term #1 center perhaps even Edmonton adds a pick or prospect. The base of the deal is sensible amyways.

Ummm ... Montreal will be in play if that 2nd OA is dealt. Habs can flip their 3rd OA and have plenty of picks and some assets the Canes may want, to make it happen.

Otherwise, Montreal takes Svech if Carolina gets swayed by Tkachuk or Zadina. Svech ain't getting past the 3rd OA, unless some other team snags the Canes's pick or if the Canes simply do the right thing. Habs and Canes would make for great trade partners.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lol wtf
We love Zadina and little of what your willing to cough up would be enough. And no Yanamoto won't do.

What's the obsession with Yakamoto? Why would the Habs want him?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The ask would be a future lotto protected first or a comparable prospect. The last team to move up in the top 10 was the Leafs to the Isles in 2008 and the ask was 7th overall, a 2009 2nd and 2008 3rd to move from 7 to 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad