Value of: The + in a 3rd OA and 10th OA swap

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If EDM and MTL were to swap picks, what would the plus from EDM be?

MTL fans apparently not high on Zadina/Kontkaniemi or anyone who might be available with that pick. Edmonton would probably feel differently and would be high on Zadina.

What's the plus?

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Probably Yamamoto, because you likely need to add a late 1st on top of the 10th overall pick to get the 3rd pick and Edmonton doesn't have one of those. Based on this, the #3 pick equals close to the #10 pick plus the #19 pick.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
[QUOTE="MTL apparently not high on Zadina/Kontkaniemi or anyone who might be available with that pick. [/QUOTE]

Is this a fact or speculation on your part? I havent heard anything anout that.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Coming over from the Habs board, everyone is very excited about the idea of adding Zadina. People also like Kotkaniemi, but just not at 3. Wahlstrom also getting lots of love. I could see Montréal going down to 5-6-7 if they really liked Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi, but 10 is just too far IMO.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

MTL fans apparently not high on Zadina/Kontkaniemi or anyone who might be available with that pick. Edmonton would probably feel differently and would be high on Zadina.

What's the plus?

I'm sure there are some that feel that way, but that definitely a minority opinion.

And even those that do want to trade down don't want to trade down to 10th.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
No secret the Habs want a centre. I’m guessing if the Oilers want that pick, it’ll probably be Draisaitl for Galchenyuk + 3rd OA

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Blackhawks will squash the Habs plans with the #8 pick by taking Kotkaniemi. They haven't drafted a center in years. In truth, Kotkaniemi is young in this draft and the concerns is skating. He is not a terrible skater but these types typically slip outside of the top 10. I think Kotkaniemi goes somewhere from 8-12 range but won't be surprised he is still around come the 15th pick.

Habs are better of drafting Zadina and trading Patch to the Panthers for their 15th pick and another piece. Then take who is left from Kotkaniemi, Veleno, Hayton, or Kupari. That would be my plan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Coming over from the Habs board, everyone is very excited about the idea of adding Zadina. People also like Kotkaniemi, but just not at 3. Wahlstrom also getting lots of love. I could see Montréal going down to 5-6-7 if they really liked Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi, but 10 is just too far IMO.

Lots of love for Dobson, Boqvist, and Hughes too. But it's mostly Zadina and Kotkaniemi. I'm taking whoever is left from Svechnikov or Zadina. Then I'm getting the best pick possible and another piece for Patch to acquire another piece at center

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
what?
MTL fans are divided between wanting Zadina, Kotkaniemi or Hughes.
Dont know where you read that we werent high on any players available at 3.

Go read the draft thread on your board. Posters are saying trade down.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Go read the draft thread on your board. Posters are saying trade down.

Here's a poll on what habs fans want to do with the 3rd OA pick:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/habs-will-select-3rd-overall.2483977/

Here's a poll on what they think Bergevin will do:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...es-mb-do-with-3.2485271/page-9#post-145967063

It is not a popular opinion to trade down. At all.

And even if it was, why would they want to drop to 10th OA?

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Klefbom is the only piece Chia might be willing to give up that I'd be happy with.

Probably Yamamoto, because you likely need to add a late 1st on top of the 10th overall pick to get the 3rd pick and Edmonton doesn't have one of those. Based on this, the #3 pick equals close to the #10 pick plus the #19 pick.

As the author of the article says, there is virtually no data for the top 10 picks in the draft. Based on expected games played over a far larger sample, 3 OA is worth nearly twice as much as 10 OA. It should take a lot more than 10 OA and a late first to move to 3 OA.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton fans are pretty much fine with picking up whoever drops.

Assuming Dahlin, Svech and Zadnia go 1-2-3, that leaves a cluster of Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi, Hughes, Dobson, Smith, Bouchard, Tkachuk, and Boqvist. Two of those guys will be available at 10, which is fine by us.

Definitely not doing anything monumentally stupid like giving up Draisaitl or RNH.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
It would live and die with Draisaitl.
If he’s included, the trade could happen.
If he’s not, it won’t.
RNH doesn’t even get the conversation started.

Bargainbin

1 FOR 1
Jun 17, 2017

What's the plus?
Montreal boards are buzzing that we can get zadina at 3 then try to trade and get kotkaniemi also. Don't know what you're talking about

Reactions: Runner77

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If he’s not, it won’t.

RNH + 10OA should get that 3OA.

Would be Montreal's best centre by a mile. Will still get a good prospect at 10.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Jan 21, 2018
If he’s not, it won’t.

Exactly. Habs aren't moving 3rd overall for RNH, a 50pt 2nd line C that makes 6M.

At least if they trade it for an elite winger like Drai, they can try him at C and hope he develops chemistry with Drouin.

Reactions: Runner77

Jan 21, 2018
RNH + 10OA should get that 3OA.

Would be Montreal's best centre by a mile. Will still get a good prospect at 10.

lol no it wouldn't.

Montreal is taking on an extra 6M for a 2nd line C that struggles to crack 50 points unless McDavid is there to feed him.

Habs either keep the pick or trade it for someone with legit 1st line potential. Not someone with 1st line potential that got ruined by the Oilers inability to develop young players.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
lol no it wouldn't.

Montreal is taking on an extra 6M for a 2nd line C that struggles to crack 50 points unless McDavid is there to feed him.

Habs either keep the pick or trade it for someone with legit 1st line potential. Not someone with 1st line potential that got ruined by the Oilers inability to develop young players.
look at how mad this guys posts come off cause he knows his team has literally nothing, including the 3rd overall, that could be packaged together to get a a player like Drai.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad