The importance of Pat Maroon

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
He scored some big goals in the playoffs for The Ducks but I havent really kept up with him since he left Anaheim so I dont have much of an opinion on his playing or how he contributes to his teams. I will say though he was always a jerk at fan events. Always gave off the "I'm too good for this" attitude. Reluctantly signed stuff and took photos. I'll bet hes been thrilled with the limited fan interaction the last 2 seasons.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He scored some big goals in the playoffs for The Ducks but I havent really kept up with him since he left Anaheim so I dont have much of an opinion on his playing or how he contributes to his teams. I will say though he was always a jerk at fan events. Always gave off the "I'm too good for this" attitude. Reluctantly signed stuff and took photos. I'll bet hes been thrilled with the limited fan interaction the last 2 seasons.
Yeah he was good for the Ducks in '15. Or maybe just on a heater, not sure.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think there's a lot of players like him so he is replaceable as "fat" isn't exactly a difficult feature to replicate. With playoff reffing continuing to be plagued by this indefensible "let them play, swallow the whistles, cross checks and scrums are just part of the game and not obvious penalties" you need to have a few guys like Maroon on your team though and he's been a big part of these playoff runs. S**t-disturbers that are willing to pay any price like Gourde aren't enough. You need a few guys that have accumulated so much mass that they essentially can't be injured, and protect their team's stars by threatening to return anything done to them and distracting the other teams goons from going after the players that actually contribute. Should the league fix the reffing so that Maroon is truly useless? Absolutely. Until they do, I think he's actually a vital part of that Tampa team.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I never disputed that he is a good role player with character. I was responding to the question of the thread.

I understand that, just don't understand why you seem bothered by others pointing it out. If anyone was objectively arguing that he had great statistical value I'd agree with you.

Reactions: zeykshade

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I understand that, just don't understand why you seem bothered by others pointing it out. If anyone was objectively arguing that he had great statistical value I'd agree with you.
I apologize if I got a little carried away with my tone.

I'm not a huge "intangibles" guy if you can't tell (yes, get your Toews jokes in now)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Heater for sure. He squandered his chances with Getz and Perry and then had career numbers playing with....shock and awe....McDavid.
Putting Maroon on a line next to McDavid has to be Malpractice. 27 goals and I think 25 of them were tap ins. Speaks to how unreal McDavid is.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I apologize if I got a little carried away with my tone.

I'm not a huge "intangibles" guy if you can't tell (yes, get your Toews jokes in now)

You have nothing to apologize to me for, and I don't think you are wrong for looking down on "intangibles" as if they play some huge part in the outcome of a game when their effect is more subtle. I just feel like the OP and others weren't trying to mask that, but give credit to Maroon for the subtle changes his presence has made that maybe don't get as much attention.

Reactions: zeykshade

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Putting Maroon on a line next to McDavid has to be Malpractice. 27 goals and I think 25 of them were tap ins. Speaks to how unreal McDavid is.

Oh yeah, he definitely wasn't on Micky D's wing to score goals, he just so happened to have his stick in the right spot for McDavid's spiderman vision to play 5d chess with

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
What I want to know is how he manages to find time away from his streaming career to be a pro hockey player

547e8-15990353798652.png

bov

Nov 13, 2010
He was actually pretty solid in the regular season. Rough start to the playoffs but he has been more effective lately, especially later in series.

He can't skate worth a damn but he can play the game, protects the puck well and can actually make some nice little plays down low. Can't complain about having him as a 12th foward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad