The importance of Pat Maroon

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Dude won the Stanley Cup two years ago, won the Stanley Cup one year ago, is a finalist this year and has a total of 3 points in what is the 4th line of the best team in the league right now while doing everything he can to get under his opponents skin every time he's on the ice. Such as plays like this:

and it's working.

He's born a winner.

I wonder how important he is to this group of resilient Bolts, if he's a big part of the missing piece, the it factor Yes I know Vasilevskiy is the best goalie on the planet and is also a huge key in the Bolts success, but this is a team game and Tampa Bay wouldn't have made it to the SCF with Andrei Vasilevskiy alone.

So, what's your opinion on Pat "Big Rig" Maroon?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Love him. Poster above says he's irrelevant and easily replaceable, but I can't name another 2x champ currently available that'll gladly be that role player and brings the intangibles in the locker room like Maroon. The chemistry he brings to the room can't be understated really. I'm sure his production and antics on the ice can be replaced, but as a package of experience, willingness to get dirty, hold others & himself accountable, keep others loose, provide some cover for stars...he'd be really hard to replace.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Love him. Poster above says he's irrelevant and easily replaceable, but I can't name another 2x champ currently available that'll gladly be that role player and brings the intangibles in the locker room like Maroon. The chemistry he brings to the room can't be understated really. I'm sure his production and antics on the ice can be replaced, but as a package of experience, willingness to get dirty, hold others & himself accountable, keep others loose, provide some cover for stars...he'd be really hard to replace.
A personal 3-peat is cool and all, but the same thing happened with Patrick McCaw in Basketball. In a world where players move around a lot, anytime a team goes back to back, there is a decent chance there will be someone on the team that also won before or after based on happenstance. He plays his role and does what he's gotta do, but I don't think his "intangibles" or "chemistry" "willingness to do stuff" is that important to the success of the teams he has been on.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
He’s pretty much the average 4th line clown who has developed a cult, Spittin Chiclets type of following, more for his drinking, shit talking and social media posting after the Cup last year than for his actual effectiveness on the ice. His cult, “#BIGRIG!1!!” following is the same people who say “what a legend” and “such a beauty, bro”.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
A personal 3-peat is cool and all, but the same thing happened with Patrick McCaw in Basketball. In a world where players move around a lot, anytime a team goes back to back, there is a decent chance there will be someone on the team that also won before or after based on happenstance. He plays his role and does what he's gotta do, but I don't think his "intangibles" or "chemistry" "willingness to do stuff" is that important to the success of the teams he has been on.
That's not what the people he works with say. You may be right, but you and I aren't in the room. I'm gonna defer to the folks he actually works with who know him.

Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Just the opposite dude. You take him away from the Lightning and they don't even make the playoffs. He's the GOAT.
Love the hyperbole. He's not remotely the GOAT and the Lightning likely make the playoffs without him pretty easily. He was instrumental in getting them over the hump in round 1 last year though exorcizing their demons against the Blue Jackets. His teammates find him valuable. Hard not to love the guy doing what he can with what he has and being successful at it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
That's not what the people he works with say. You may be right, but you and I aren't in the room. I'm gonna defer to the folks he actually works with who know him.
Sure they may be his friend and may appreciate that he makes people laugh or whatever and is tough on the ice. But if you're looking at it from the GM's perspective, they're not exactly gonna poll the players to determine how much salary cap space to allocate to a 4th liner.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Sure they may be his friend and may appreciate that he makes people laugh or whatever and is tough on the ice. But if you're looking at it from the GM's perspective, they're not exactly gonna poll the players to determine how much salary cap space to allocate to a 4th liner.
All I know is, Bolts got swept in round 1 in 2019. They got Maroon and fixed that. Of course, as far as on-ice contributions, Goodrow and Coleman were much more important acquisitions. Of those two, I take Goodrow and try to retain him for the future.

Also, Maroon is a $900k cap hit. I have no problems paying him that much for what he's done for the team on a 4th line. It's a bargain to be honest.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
All I know is, Bolts got swept in round 1 in 2019. They got Maroon and fixed that. Of course, as far as on-ice contributions, Goodrow and Coleman were much more important acquisitions. Of those two, I take Goodrow and try to retain him for the future.
That is a vast over-simplification and looking hard for a pattern for what is much more easily explained by variance.

$900K cap hit is the point. At least around the League, his "intangibles" are not that highly valued for what is ultimately the most important consideration - how teams choose to allocate their salary cap space.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and good to have a beer with and have on the squad, but as far as getting teams over the hump, he's just another guy.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm not saying "Hire Maroon, You'll Win a Cup!" I'm saying he's not as easily replaced as some who don't follow the Bolts may think. Been a big part of the last step this team had to make to do what they're doing.
Hard to say though how objective you are as opposed to being in the honeymoon phase of a cup winning team. Fans often think every player on their cup winning team is their own special mvp in their own way. It’s not reflective of reality. Is maroon even a Top 15 most important member of the team? I don’t know. Like I said, he does his job and plays his role. Other than that he’s a right place, right time kind of guy. I wouldn’t go further than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad