Salary Cap: The Impending Cap Ceiling Issue

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Portzline was on the radio and said he expects Hartnell, Boll, & Toots to be gone "fairly soon."

So does buying out Boll make sense financially? By the time we replace him with a minimum salary how much does it cost us? Now I'm all for putting him in Cleveland or in the box, but not sure buying him out saves money?

Hartnell will be very interesting. I really don't think anyone will just take that contract but I would guess we could flip him for a shorter bad contract. It would be poetic justice for us to get Umby back (trade w Philly) and then buy out his last year.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Portzline was on the radio and said he expects Hartnell, Boll, & Toots to be gone "fairly soon."

"fairly soon" :laugh: we know. Boll in one year, Fedor in two.:sarcasm:

Seriously. I hope Hartnell stays here, he was and is good mentor for Alex, he ll be good mentor for PLD

they always can put David on LTIR

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
So does buying out Boll make sense financially? By the time we replace him with a minimum salary how much does it cost us? Now I'm all for putting him in Cleveland or in the box, but not sure buying him out saves money?

Hartnell will be very interesting. I really don't think anyone will just take that contract but I would guess we could flip him for a shorter bad contract. It would be poetic justice for us to get Umby back (trade w Philly) and then buy out his last year.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelph...lyers-will-buy-out-veteran-foward-rj-umberger

Already bought out.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I don't think Boll gets bought out. It doesn't gain a whole lot financially, and I don't see the organization burying him in the AHL - a level where he's never played a game.

I think they value his contributions over the years and as ambassador too much to do that to him. Although, if they were to ask, I think he would do it. People dog the guy a lot, but he's always been a team guy.

Hartnell - I don't see a buyout at all. I think he has real value - just probably not as much as we hoped for. I'm fine if they go into the season with him, frankly.

Tyutin is the same kind of team guy as Boll, but there are a lot less D spots and he's making a lot more money. Seems like a likely buyout.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I've heard from someone I trust and who has ties to the organization that a trade involving Hartnell was pretty close (at least it was close right before draft - might have fallen through) and that Tyutin will be bought out. Not shocking news, but just confirmation about what we are expecting.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I've heard from someone I trust and who has ties to the organization that a trade involving Hartnell was pretty close (at least it was close right before draft - might have fallen through) and that Tyutin will be bought out. Not shocking news, but just confirmation about what we are expecting.

Yeah, but was that Hartnell trade involving the 3rd overall that Jarmo thought he had right be before we made the 3rd pick?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't think Boll gets bought out. It doesn't gain a whole lot financially, and I don't see the organization burying him in the AHL - a level where he's never played a game.

I think they value his contributions over the years and as ambassador too much to do that to him. Although, if they were to ask, I think he would do it. People dog the guy a lot, but he's always been a team guy.

Hartnell - I don't see a buyout at all. I think he has real value - just probably not as much as we hoped for. I'm fine if they go into the season with him, frankly.

Tyutin is the same kind of team guy as Boll, but there are a lot less D spots and he's making a lot more money. Seems like a likely buyout.

This is my read as well. I chalked up Boll being around a long time ago and made my peace with it. Hartnell could be traded or kept - a trade might require some retention, but he does have value. Tyutin should be bought out.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If we buy out Tyutin, I believe we have a $1.9m cap hit till 2020. We're not going anywhere this year, so may not be worth it in the end when it would be done next year.

If the decision isn't made this week and Tyutin has a NMC (I have been beating the drum that he has a partial NTC at this point in his contract) then we have to expose someone else. The expansion draft would occur before buyout next year and he woudl need protected (if he truly does have a NMC - I think not).

Jarmo could roll the dice and think he can off load him at the deadline with some retention in his final year (and whatever is left at deadline) but that's a gamble I prefer not to see.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If we buy out Tyutin, I believe we have a $1.9m cap hit till 2020. We're not going anywhere this year, so may not be worth it in the end when it would be done next year.

Your math isn't right. The total cap hit is 4.5 over 4 yrs. 1.2, 1.95, 1.45, 1.45. But the important thing is it frees 3.291 next season and 2.542 the following.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I'm not sure the FO wouldn't consider a 1.133 million cap savings this season nothing. I'm not sure ownership considers half a million chump change. You then take that 500k savings and use that for a player in our farm system.

A 500k cap hit rollover next year doesn't seem to be a big deal.

We could very well need his roster spot.

Frankly I would buy him and Campbell out if I couldn't find a trade partner. I would actually try and trade Boll/Campbell and retain 50% of their salaries if needed...

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
We have too many D. If Werenski is ready (90% certainty IMHO) somebody has to go...They'll look to move and reatin or as last resort buyout. Pray for Clarkson LTIR,
Hartnell is a crapshoot, best chance to move will be at deadline. Guessing best case we free 1 D spot and 2 F spots. Leaves CMAC in Cbus too I'm guessing.

Jones
Murray
Johnson
Savard
Prout
Gobulef
Tyutin

incoming possibilities
Werenski
Kukan
Harrington

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We have too many D. If Werenski is ready (90% certainty IMHO) somebody has to go...They'll look to move and reatin or as last resort buyout. Pray for Clarkson LTIR,
Hartnell is a crapshoot, best chance to move will be at deadline. Guessing best case we free 1 D spot and 2 F spots. Leaves CMAC in Cbus too I'm guessing.

Jones
Murray
Johnson
Savard
Prout
Gobulef
Tyutin

incoming possibilities
Werenski
Kukan
Harrington

I'm not betting against a Goloubef trade. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if JJ gets moved either. I was certain Tyutin is getting bought out, but as the days go by, I am starting to get skeptical. But if that happens, that's at least 3 names gone with potential for more (Trade Savard?). I don't think our defensive logjam will be an issue.

Of your listed guys, I would remove Harrington, Kukan, and add Nutivaara instead. I know I am not like everyone else here, but I don't see a future for Kukan here, especially this season.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Time to clear some bad contracts now and give the ice time to some young guys with hope that you might get to a playoff level in 2017-18.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
I'm not betting against a Goloubef trade. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if JJ gets moved either. I was certain Tyutin is getting bought out, but as the days go by, I am starting to get skeptical. But if that happens, that's at least 3 names gone with potential for more (Trade Savard?). I don't think our defensive logjam will be an issue.

Of your listed guys, I would remove Harrington, Kukan, and add Nutivaara instead. I know I am not like everyone else here, but I don't see a future for Kukan here, especially this season.

I can agree that Gobo and JJ are potential trade bait. I'm a Kukan fan, maybe swayed by the great plus minus from last year. Can't see them letting Savard go as he's on a relatively reasonable contract and gritty guy with decent shot. Gives us some edge to the game on the back end that you don't get from Murray or Jones

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If we don't either trade or buyout Tyutin tomorrow I will move solidly into the Jackets don't know how to manage the cap camp. Won't say Jarmo, he may not have final say but I don't see how you can go into July 1 with less than 4 million in cap (assuming Bjorkstrand and Anderson fill out the F's) to sign Jones and no roster spot for Werenski.

I would also throw sentimentality to the wind and buyout Boll also. Campbell wouldn't break my heart either but we may need him as our 4th line C the more I look at the roster.

There is no assurance a trade of any sort can be made especially considering the upcoming expansion draft and the restrictions caused by a tight cap. Buyouts provide certainty.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I understand that a buyout of Clarkson doesn't save much money or cap space but his presence on the roster blocks a guy that might actually get better or help the team win and his NMC, if he wont waive it, means he eats up a valuable protection space. They have to pay him whether they like it or not but they dont have to keep him on the team while they do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad