Salary Cap: The Impending Cap Ceiling Issue

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Also, I believe Matt Martin from the Islanders is a UFA next year. He's very effective - let's offer him what we're paying Boll and kick him to the curb.

Martin - Chaput - Prout as a 4th line would be fun to watch

I don't think we can afford Martin.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
To clearly answer Viqsi, I'll divide the forwards into three groups.

9 regulars:
Dubinsky, Foligno, Jenner, Atkinson, Saad, Wennberg, Hartnell, Karlsson, Calvert

3 youngins:
Rychel, Anderson, Bjorkstrand

3 reserves (2 on roster, 1 buried in AHL):
Clarkson, Chaput, Campbell. (Boll should just be bought out)

The youngins are better than the reservists, so they should start on the ice (Rychel and Bjorkstrand somewhere in the top 9, Anderson on the 4th line). But just in case, you still have three reservists who can step in. And this is not counting guys like Craig. This is a non-issue.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Werenski sticks, with bonuses, his cap hit will be 1.775. While I believe that won't affect next season if he hits them it may result in a small penalty against the following season cap. No big deal.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
If Werenski sticks, with bonuses, his cap hit will be 1.775. While I believe that won't affect next season if he hits them it may result in a small penalty against the following season cap. No big deal.

Source?

That seems way too low.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To clearly answer Viqsi, I'll divide the forwards into three groups.

9 regulars:
Dubinsky, Foligno, Jenner, Atkinson, Saad, Wennberg, Hartnell, Karlsson, Calvert

3 youngins:
Rychel, Anderson, Bjorkstrand

3 reserves (2 on roster, 1 buried in AHL):
Clarkson, Chaput, Campbell. (Boll should just be bought out)

The youngins are better than the reservists, so they should start on the ice (Rychel and Bjorkstrand somewhere in the top 9, Anderson on the 4th line). But just in case, you still have three reservists who can step in. And this is not counting guys like Craig. This is a non-issue.

Clarkson is likely to be injured; he spends a lot of time that way. Consider that, then add one more injury. Suddenly we have five "youngins".

If they force their way onto the roster, that's one thing. But we're going back to penciling in guys who may or may not be ready. I seem to recall that that's generally a Bad Thing.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Clarkson is likely to be injured; he spends a lot of time that way. Consider that, then add one more injury. Suddenly we have five "youngins".

If they force their way onto the roster, that's one thing. But we're going back to penciling in guys who may or may not be ready. I seem to recall that that's generally a Bad Thing.

I don't know what you're talking about. When we win the lottery and pick Matthews I have him penciled into the top line C slot.

It worked with Brule' and Brassard and...

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Not five youngins.

Let's say Clarkson can't play, and Jenner gets injured, AND Bjorkstrand struggles and needs to restart in the A. Then Campbell and Chaput slide onto the 4th line, Karlsson and Calvert move up to the third line, and you need two new guys to sit in the #13/14. Craig and Broadhurst or whoever else Jarmo signs for the A could do it. Not a problem.

That's two youngins. Maybe you're considering Chaput a young player we need to carefully develop? I'm pretty sure he's going to deal with a lot of waivers in his near future.

"Ready for the lineup" to me means better than Boll for Anderson, and ready for third line for Bjorkstrand and Rychel. They're already better scoring threats than Calvert and Karlsson.

I've lost track. Are you suggesting we keep Boll? Or sign UFAs?
I think we need to stock Lake Erie with guys who can be decent injury callups, but we have enough guys on one-way contracts.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

If this was 10 years ago it would have been a sign that a move was imminent - the Dispatch protect IDWT so much over the first several years, then almost on cue they turned against him shortly before he was let go.

Any more I don't think there is any correlation (with Dispatch playing PR firm for the CBJ). The CBJ have been so bad for so long that it's tough to defend the results.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Porty has been trying to trade Cam for like four years now. And Arace lists him as one of the few "value contracts."

I have to keep telling myself these guys are writing this stuff for people who don't pay attention.

He is one of the few value contracts, but yeah...I don't know why AP thinks we will trade him every deadline.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The article shouldn't focus exclusively on the FO.

It should also call out these non-value players. The guys who signed big dollar contracts and who simply aren't coming close to living up to them.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Bobrovsky. And to some extent, Dubinsky and Foligno.

Bob, Dubi, Foligno, Savard, we knew Clarkson was gonna suck but him too, Tyutin, etc.

My point is that there's a lot of blame to go around, but at the end of the day it's those guys who are on the ice and aren't cutting it. Yeah, it makes sense that you want to earn as much money as you can, but there also needs to be an element of pride to your work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad