LeBrun: The Ilya Kovalchuk sweepstakes have officially started

ollewall

Jul 30, 2016
Gothenburg
I would assume he goes to the NHL for a shot at glory, rather than money, as he probably would get a better paycheck staying in the KHL.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would Washington ever decide to replace Ovechkin with Kovalchuk plus all the bounty they get back in an Ovi trade?

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Kovy can sign a cheap 1 year contract if he wants to go to a serious contender. He's made his fortune.

I'd hope he's coming back to the NHL to win, not to get paid.

If this was his mindset, he probably would not be willing to go through the hassle of a sign and trade. He'd just wait til next year when he'd come back as a full fledged UFA with no strings. It stands to reason that Kovy is going the harder route to get the last decent contract of his NHL career since the contract signed at 34 doesn't fall under the Over 35 rules. Its a lot easier for a team to sign him to a 3 year deal this year than it is next. The commitment is not the same since the penalties don't exist. He's not coming back to do the Devils any favors. Unless the situation in Russia is so toxic or he's worried about getting hurt, I can't imagine he's doing this now for any other reason.

I think he ends up with the highest bidder (contractually, not necessarily the return) by the time this is over. Undoubtedly he has some places completely ruled out, but if say Vegas tosses him a big money offer, he'd take it and run.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
If this was his mindset, he probably would not be willing to go through the hassle of a sign and trade. He'd just wait til next year when he'd come back as a full fledged UFA with no strings. It stands to reason that Kovy is going the harder route to get the last decent contract of his NHL career since the contract signed at 34 doesn't fall under the Over 35 rules. Its a lot easier for a team to sign him to a 3 year deal this year than it is next. The commitment is not the same since the penalties don't exist. He's not coming back to do the Devils any favors. Unless the situation in Russia is so toxic or he's worried about getting hurt, I can't imagine he's doing this now for any other reason.

I think he ends up with the highest bidder (contractually, not necessarily the return) by the time this is over. Undoubtedly he has some places completely ruled out, but if say Vegas tosses him a big money offer, he'd take it and run.

Or...if he actually is coming back to try to win a Cup, he realizes that not only is his time running out, but he'll likely also be less likely to contribute to a team with every season that passes. So, just sitting out another year to choose your team (when he can still exert some pressure to go to a team of his choosing) is not really a good option.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I was talking about the entry draft. He is not in play for the expansion draft. He can't be picked by Vegas, can't be signed by Vegas, and his rights can't be traded to Vegas as part of the expansion draft process. As far as the NHL is concerned. Kovalchuck does not exist until July 1st

Rereading your comment I'm not sure how I interpreted it the way I originally did. :laugh:

I guess for some reason I was thinking something like Vegas and New Jersey agree to the following:
Vegas selects Player A from Jersey.
Jersey signs Kovalchuk to a contract.
Vegas trades Player A back to Jersey for Kovalchuk (effectively drafting him in the expansion draft).

That scenario would not be allowed, but it's also not what you were saying :laugh:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Probably just KHL propaganda to distract the hockey world from the news that there are a few KHL teams folding.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Probably just KHL propaganda to distract the hockey world from the news that there are a few KHL teams folding.

I think it very well could be posturing either way, it's hard to know in this situation IMO.

Could be Kovy trying to get a better offer from the NHL by feigning he's interested in going back to the KHL.

Could be Kovy was feigning interest in the NHL all along and now he's getting the offer he wanted from the KHL.

Could be his KHL team is posturing to their fans by saying he's coming back.

The first decision that needs to be made is whether Kovalchuk wants to play in the NHL. I'm not sure that decision has necessarily been made yet and it may come down to the money.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cant see many teams offering up alot just to take on a 6.5 mil to 7 mil deal for an old player who hasnt been in NHL for a while

I mean even just signing him to that deal is risky, much less trading assets to even get that contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad