LeBrun: The Ilya Kovalchuk sweepstakes have officially started

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I'd also imagine that any team considering trading for a signed Kovalchuk will have him in for a physical before any negotiations get started. They'll have a better idea of his health than we do.

Not to mention, he also has to pass a physical when traded or the trade can be voided..

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
To Islanders: Kovalchuk

To Devils: Kulemin and Dal Colle

Beaulieu
Plekanec
1st round pick
2nd round pick

For

Kovalchuk
Henrique
Moore/Pick

I would do both deals.

I would rather go after Pulock but if Dal Colle is the only piece snow wants to move, I'd take it.

As for the Habs deal, if we're talking 2018 picks and we should be since he can't be signed before July 1st, I'd take that deal and run.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
From the Leafs, I'd offer a pretty good package. Interesting to see what he returns.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Will he even be as impactful as he once was?

I dont think anyone can answer this definitively. He's been gone from the NHL for 4 seasons. Since he's been back in Russia, he has steadily increased his production and has been relatively healthy. His health was not all that great when he left. He was well over a PPG this past season. But, he was also on a stacked team in a lesser league. He had a a minor knee surgery after this season ended as well. Radulov (and Jagr) showed that you can be away for a few seasons and still come back and be a productive NHL player, granted Radulov is younger, but the point still stands.

I can't imagine if he's healthy and goes to the right situation where there's strong enough players and he has ability to play the point that he wouldnt be impactful. He'll always have that shot. He's the type of player that could be that missing piece or that extra piece that puts whoever gets him over the top. A team with lesser talent probably wouldn't get that same sort of boost, but even there a team with lesser talent would benefit financially from his notoriety.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Beaulieu
Plekanec
1st round pick
2nd round pick

For

Kovalchuk
Henrique
Moore/Pick

Swap Sergachev for Beaulieu and we're talking, Plekanec has negative value. While the idea behind it is good, the value is not there, you can expect similiar impact from Kovy that you had from Radulov, that's worth more than Beaulieu.

I'd do:

Sergachev + Plekanec for Kovalchuk + Henrique.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Maybe this is in here somewhere: can LV select Kovalchuck's rights in the expansion draft? Even if he opts not to play there, he would likely be worth a greater sign-and-trade return than anyone unprotected in NJ, right?

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Maybe this is in here somewhere: can LV select Kovalchuck's rights in the expansion draft? Even if he opts not to play there, he would likely be worth a greater sign-and-trade return than anyone unprotected in NJ, right?

No. He has no rights because he has no contract until July 1st at the earliest.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

No Kovy cannot be part of anything to do with Exp draft.
July 1st Jersey can sign him and then trade him.
This is the only way he can play for another team next year.

Salary retention by NJ was a think that was being discussed earlierTo make it more attractive to teams. Jersey can hold back for sure, but the talk was are they allowed? I don't see why not, at that point its Jersey discretion, I believe it follows all rules

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

No. He has no rights because he has no contract until July 1st at the earliest.

LV cannot select Kovy in the expansion draft. However it's not just because Kovy isn't under contract, it's also because Kovy isn't on NJ's Reserve List due to his retirement.

LV can select other players who aren't under contract but are on a team's Reserve List. One prime example is Valeri Nichushkin whom Dallas holds rights to.

Pastawithsauce

May 10, 2017
I think Kovy will still fetch at least a 3 ranked prospect or down. Maybe a 1st round or 2 second rounds. It's Kovy. He's been in a way less physically demanding league. He may be 34 but if he's put on the right line (hopefully with Krejci) than he could easily put up 40-55 points if not more. You can't forget hockey IQ and his is off the charts.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Swap Sergachev for Beaulieu and we're talking, Plekanec has negative value. While the idea behind it is good, the value is not there, you can expect similiar impact from Kovy that you had from Radulov, that's worth more than Beaulieu.

I'd do:

Sergachev + Plekanec for Kovalchuk + Henrique.

I'm sure you would. They didnt move sergachev for Duchene, you think you're going to get him
for an aging Kovalchuk....

Some of these offers... Need to give your heads a shake

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Holy crap. At the onset of the news I would've thought Killorn+1st rounder was a lot and now look at the thread now. GEEZZZZ

That's how these go. Stick around here long enough and it's the same pattern.

Fans demand a ransom for their player, other fans call it ridiculous, original fans double down, trolls post over the top proposals, expectations run wild, player is traded for less than anyone posted, 'HF calls GM dumbass, I could be GM better.'

Repeat.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A good pick is really all this Devil Fan is expecting.

Perhaps a good pick and mediocre prospect
or
a good pick and a decent prospect and a salary dump
or
a better pick and a potential waiver wire casualty like Beau Bennett

Good pick is defined as over 2nd rounder

NJ All Day

Jan 11, 2016
It's entertaining because the return will most likely be much more or much less than what everyone is predicting

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I see:

"Is Kovalchuk's contract an albatross contract?" threads come 2/2018.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
LV cannot select Kovy in the expansion draft. However it's not just because Kovy isn't under contract, it's also because Kovy isn't on NJ's Reserve List due to his retirement.

LV can select other players who aren't under contract but are on a team's Reserve List. One prime example is Valeri Nichushkin whom Dallas holds rights to.

Ohhhh ho ho ho ho man. It just occurred to me that Nuke isn't gonna go anywhere near Dallas now that Hitch is coaching there again. Oh man that's a rough situation

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That's how these go. Stick around here long enough and it's the same pattern.

Fans demand a ransom for their player, other fans call it ridiculous, original fans double down, trolls post over the top proposals, expectations run wild, player is traded for less than anyone posted, 'HF calls GM dumbass, I could be GM better.'

Repeat.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well said

I'll at least pat myself on the back for trying to be realistic. Killorn+1st rounder wasn't all that bad to start with but now it's just jumped the shark from other people.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well said

I'll at least pat myself on the back for trying to be realistic. Killorn+1st rounder wasn't all that bad to start with but now it's just jumped the shark from other people.

Thats a reasonable offer. A 1st rounder and solid middle 6 forward.

I don't see more than an '18 1st + okay roster player. I've been surprised before though.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I think he goes to Washington

Ovechkin/Backstrom on one line and Kovy/Kuzny on another :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad