LeBrun: The Ilya Kovalchuk sweepstakes have officially started

Jul 6, 2016
I think it very well could be posturing either way, it's hard to know in this situation IMO.

Could be Kovy trying to get a better offer from the NHL by feigning he's interested in going back to the KHL.

Could be Kovy was feigning interest in the NHL all along and now he's getting the offer he wanted from the KHL.

Could be his KHL team is posturing to their fans by saying he's coming back.

The first decision that needs to be made is whether Kovalchuk wants to play in the NHL. I'm not sure that decision has necessarily been made yet and it may come down to the money.

His wife wants to come back to USA... Maybe not him.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
:laugh:So walking away from a $102 million dollar gaurenteed contract is being all about the money? :help:

You do realize he could have walked away from $102M guaranteed because it was still all about the money and he could make more playing elsewhere?

I don't think he left because of the money necessarily (more about playing in Russia) but you didn't really prove anything with your statement. That would indeed be the case if you showed evidence he made less in the KHL.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I thought he did leave because he could make more money in the KHL and whined a bunch about taxes and escrow or something? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I thought he did leave because he could make more money in the KHL and whined a bunch about taxes and escrow or something? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

People speculated that, but his formal reasoning was because of family. He had an ailing family member back home, and just wanted to be closer to family in general.

Lou and him had talked about it for a year before he actually left.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
As opposed to every other human on earth who apparently works for free.
I'm pretty sure there are tons of people that leave money on the table and take a job that is more convenient for them, rather than move somewhere they don't want to be for more money.

Apparently to the good doctor, that means people work for free. :help:

:laugh:So walking away from a $102 million dollar gaurenteed contract is being all about the money? :help:
I find it hard to take someone seriously when they can't spell guaranteed.

But, misspelling aside, he's returning to the NHL because he wants more money after RETIRING FROM HOCKEY IN NORTH AMERICA. What more needs to be said about his character?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm pretty sure there are tons of people that leave money on the table and take a job that is more convenient for them, rather than move somewhere they don't want to be for more money.

But, misspelling aside, he's returning to the NHL because he wants more money after RETIRING FROM HOCKEY IN NORTH AMERICA. What more needs to be said about his character?

Wouldn't playing in your home country with your family, playing for your home country in international competition all instead of playing 6000 miles away in a foreign country be considered "more convenient"?

Apparently to the good Hictor, choosing to play in your hometown instead of in the US or Canada is being "all about the money" :help:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

:laugh:

literally none of this says anything about "his character", even if the reason he left was financial

"this man left to make hisself and his family more money! how dare he!"

:shakehead

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
Wouldn't playing in your home country with your family, playing for your home country in international competition all instead of playing 6000 miles away in a foreign country be considered "more convenient"?

Apparently to the good Hictor, choosing to play in your hometown instead of in the US or Canada is being "all about the money" :help:

Be nice man. He checks your spelling. :naughty:

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

What? You understand he'd make more in the KHL right? He's a Crosby level name over there, he'll be making bank even if he's too old/injured to skate, and it's an easy ride into the national program as a consultant or coach or whatever Gretzky does for Team Canada over here.

You don't give up a cushy well paid role in a league where no one wants to play you too hard out of respect to take less money and get abused by opposing defenses every night unless you want to win in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad