GDT: The I Think We Can Leafs vs. The Train Wreck Habs on Legend Row Night HNIC 7-Jan23

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
So...this is the way its going to be post JVR.

A skilled player or 2, may score a goal, but if we want to win, we have to be struck by lightning (Polak, Hunwick).

Tankers must love this.

Could be a winless week. 2 hot divisional teams, followed by Ottawa.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Babcock is driving these pretty hard, but he seems to be pissed at something. Or some players .

By saying Clune is our best player on a given night is a real ***** slap.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Yes lets focus on Game 7 and not #1-6 when he was arguably the best player on the ice and the only reason the Leafs got to Game 7 in the first place. And you could blame our lame duck soft defense just as much as Reimer's "rebound control" as you want.

Between Healy and other hack reporters fans bit on the spin that "OH NO THE TEAM WAS FINE, CARLYLE IS GOOD, REIMER IS ALL WE NEEED TO CHANGE TO GET BETTER" and even then, our doofus GM just gets another middling potential goalie instead of just solving the problem, cause he's an idiot. Carlyle is just as much at fault as our D is, didn't bother using his last timeout when he had all the chance in the world to, when his team was panicking and the whole reason he was brought in was to be the veteran playoff guy who could steer the youth through.

But no, it was Reimer's single game performance that lost us the game and not a goalie returning back to earth after carrying the team.

So nothing you said here changes the fact that if he didnt rebound every shot to the slot in that 3rd period, he wouldnt have been replaced. Who are you trying to fool? if he wins that game bernier isnt here and you know it. Thats not exactly a vote of confidence.

I do hope you paint Gardner who was deer staring into the highlights on the winning goal in overtime, and the gaffs by Phaneuf, or the fact that the leafs were outshot 18-3 after Toronto scored their 4th goal.

and of course Chara was screening Reimer for most of the rest of that period with any play in the leafs zone.

So do you paint everyone with that brush on game 7? because there was alot of goats - the team basically collapsed and went from forechecking and playing a strong speed game that Boston could not handle, to sitting back and letting Boston come to them.

but CLEARLY it's all the goaltender who at the time just turned 25 a month prior to that .. right?

Does gardiners antics absolve Reimer from his mistakes? I dont think so. The whole team collapsed, yes, many players didnt look very good. An elite goalie has the ability to steal you games or at least lock them down for you. He has been good lately yes. I still maintain that if he wins that game he wouldnt have been replaced, thats a fair comment. Basically every single one of those goals was point shot, slot rebound, bang goal. He simply wasn't good enough.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Does gardiners antics absolve Reimer from his mistakes? I dont think so. The whole team collapsed, yes, many players didnt look very good. An elite goalie has the ability to steal you games

which he did on games 5 and 6.

an elite team should not need their goaltender to steal you 3 games consecutively in the first round of the playoffs.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
So nothing you said here changes the fact that if he didnt rebound every shot to the slot in that 3rd period, he wouldnt have been replaced. Who are you trying to fool? if he wins that game bernier isnt here and you know it. Thats not exactly a vote of confidence.

That's not true at all. The Leafs were actively looking to replace Reimer before they even made the playoffs. Were you around during all the Luongo and Kipper rumors?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
That's not true at all. The Leafs were actively looking to replace Reimer before they even made the playoffs. Were you around during all the Luongo and Kipper rumors?

Not really sure where this whole discussion was going but ya there was definitely a deal in place for Kipper that fell through because he wouldn't waive on the TDL. There was also a rumoured deal that Luo turned down as well but that was never really confirmed.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Not really sure where this whole discussion was going but ya there was definitely a deal in place for Kipper that fell through because he wouldn't waive on the TDL. There was also a rumoured deal that Luo turned down as well but that was never really confirmed.

IIRC, kipper wouldn't waive. Lou would have came but Gillis wanted too much. Wasn't there a reported dispute between Burke and higher ups because he refused to pay Gillis' ridiculous demands?

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
which he did on games 5 and 6.

an elite team should not need their goaltender to steal you 3 games consecutively in the first round of the playoffs.

Why are you arguing? Nonis tried to replace him. That should tell you everything you need to know about the move.

If Nonis did it, it's probably wrong. :)

Pholus

May 23, 2014

While it's true that game 7 was not Reimer all-time best performance ever, very few goalies are written off after a decent showing in their first taste of the NHL playoffs.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Wonderful Seer, just Wonderful!

I second this!
:handclap:

Thanks, Guys..! Much appreciated..

Just re-did one for Horton, too... (first one got muted.., awhile back..)

Tim Horton
Defense -- shoots R
Born Jan 12 1930 -- Cochrane, ONT
86 yrs. ago
Height 5.10 -- Weight 180

STATS:

1445 games.. 115 goals... 403 assists... 518 points.... +81
...and 4 Stanley Cups...

Getting It Done: Tim Horton Legends Row Tribute - NHL 1949-1974

Nice video Seer. Excited to see Keon honored. A win against the Habs is always great. I like watching them come back down to earth. We can take solace that a win will help the Penguins case and help us get another first rounder this year.

I was very moved by the ceremony.. :handclap:

Thank you, Seer, for both vids. Well done!:clap::clap:

Always appreciated, Lizzie.. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad