GDT: The Hurricanes Pay a Visit to the Devils Stomping Grounds

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
I'm not sure what you mean? I gave you some advice based on how I viewed your posts were being received by the board and you disagreed. What more is there to say other than "ok"? I have no desire to engage further.
Usually a response isnt warranted in that situation

But again I get it, so no problem. I understood your advice

Please don't make me put my moderator hat on. You've very much been toeing the line on being respectful here. Cool it, okay?
Welp, I guess ill just bow out then because I feel as though Ive been as respectable as you can be

Good luck the rest of the way this season!

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Until Donnie turtlenecks bags a marquee player by outbidding teams , I will consider this team to be a bridesmaid on all trade speculation involving star player(s).
I tried to say this a few weeks back before the deadline due to the lack of transparency..seeing is believing. Just look at the lengths the broadcast crew and social team goes to spin doctor a bad game or anything negative as if an honest assessment would crush the fanbase.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I didn't get that exact takeaway from reading Seravalli's twitter posts. Carolina's offer was competitive but I seriously doubt it was a huge overpay relative to NJ's. Carolina's offer has not been disclosed so we don't know what conditions were attached to it. Until Donnie turtlenecks bags a marquee player by outbidding teams , I will consider this team to be a bridesmaid on all trade speculation involving star player(s).
It was in his podcast that I listened to and summarized a few days ago. I agree that it wasn't a "huge overpay" relative to NJ, but he did come right out and say it was a massive offer that he thought was better than NJ's. That's pretty vague though.

He might value a prospect higher than SJ thought, so his view of the offer being better could be different than San Jose's view.

In the end, they haven't landed a big fish that they've tried to land. I can't say for sure why, but it is what it is.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Honestly, it might just be the location. A lot of the star players we're pushing for are young guys, prime of their life and still enjoying it. Raleigh's big selling point has always been it's a great location with good weather and a nice place to raise a family. Which will typically appeal to players on the backend of their career.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The point of listing those trades (and yess I did forget Kotaniemi, which how could I actually) was that in three years of being the top dog in the Metro (and 2nd best team in that timeframe behind Tampa until this year, now 2nd behind Boston) theyve yet to acquire a player where you go 'yeah, hes gonna help them out a lot'

Id disagree that its standard operating procedure to be leading your division three straight years and still looking to make your first big trade.

But hey, thats even more testament to how strong the core is in Carolina. For all I know this summer they'll make some moves that will put all Ive said to rest. Its just a timing issue that I have

I mean, Trocheck, Burns, and Skjei all probably fit that criteria to the letter of the law (so does Hamilton for that matter if you want to go farther back), and KK is one where you say “it very much could do that.” It’s probably similar to the level of trades a team like the Lightning have made at the very least.

At the end of the day you’re probably splitting hairs here. Most of us here would’ve liked Meier, it didn’t happen. Who knows what happened, we just know Waddell was actively very upset about the situation meaning it wasn’t a half-hearted attempt at the very least. You don’t make a big move just to make a big move. A certain Kenny Rogers song comes to mind. Canes are good at knowing their limit and not letting the market dictate what they do. They’ve made several moves that aren’t “big” from an assets given up perspective but have been big from a roster impact perspective (top pairing dmen in Burns and Hamilton, 2C in Trocheck, a pick that resulted in Seth Jarvis from the very “futures valuing” that we’re criticizing here, etc.) At the end of the day it’s not actually about giving up things, it’s about getting things. If the Canes think they can exploit a market inefficiency by getting nice things without giving them up… well, a) that’s a fun experiment and b) they’ve shown some signs that they’re good at that.

Reactions: cptjeff

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Given the goalie situation we are currently confronting, who thinks this is/was the year to go all in?
Having mediocre and/or injury prone goalies hasn’t stopped a few teams. The answer is that we should have gone all in this year and next. But I doubt we do next year either unless teams accept our low ball offers just like we hope our UFAs to do the same. Doing good business is our Stanley Cup.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
The point of listing those trades (and yess I did forget Kotaniemi, which how could I actually) was that in three years of being the top dog in the Metro (and 2nd best team in that timeframe behind Tampa until this year, now 2nd behind Boston) theyve yet to acquire a player where you go 'yeah, hes gonna help them out a lot'

Id disagree that its standard operating procedure to be leading your division three straight years and still looking to make your first big trade.

But hey, thats even more testament to how strong the core is in Carolina. For all I know this summer they'll make some moves that will put all Ive said to rest. Its just a timing issue that I have

Now that last part is very interesting. In evaluating moves at this TD I can imagine the Borg (Canes management group) doing a cost/ benefit analysis weighing what it would have taken, beyond what is reported as being a very strong offer, to outbid NJ for Meier and how much that would have increased the Cup chances this season vs. trying to acquire a high end 2C (probably the position of most need for the team) in the summer and what that would do as far as increasing Cup chances for multiple seasons going forward. I could easily see an argument for saving their ammo for a summer run at a high end 2C vs. spending it on what might have been a rental Meier.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In the context of the team’s development, early passiveness was appropriate. The players deserved a couple chances to do it on their own. The step towards legit contention occurred only in 2021. A half-hearted approach of Eichel happened the next season. The serious pursuits of Tkachuk and Meier happened after two cracks at it. They’ll try again, if it doesn’t work out for the third time.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Having mediocre and/or injury prone goalies hasn’t stopped a few teams. The answer is that we should have gone all in this year and next. But I doubt we do next year either unless teams accept our low ball offers just like we hope our UFAs to do the same. Doing good business is our Stanley Cup.

You can't go all-in two years in a row. That's the point of going all-in. You empty the tank one year, hope it's enough and be more conservative in years after.

Reactions: ndp and cptjeff

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
If we had exited/gotten rejected a little sooner in the Meier trade talks, I think Carolina would've seriously considered getting Nino back (they did with Lindholm, why not Nino when unlike Calgary, Nashville was selling?). In which case, I'd be okay with him considering he's on pace to beat his personal career record of 25 goals, and he's currently at 21 this season. Plus he's a solid physical player too. Then in the summer, we would've had even more reason to let Faust go.

The timing sucks. We spent so much time dealing with San Jose's bullshit, and by the time we finally get out of Meier discussions, there wasn't really any note worthy/good forward left.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Thank you for educating us.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Honestly, it might just be the location. A lot of the star players we're pushing for are young guys, prime of their life and still enjoying it. Raleigh's big selling point has always been it's a great location with good weather and a nice place to raise a family. Which will typically appeal to players on the backend of their career.

Well then Kane should have been down with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad