GDT: The Hurricanes Pay a Visit to the Devils Stomping Grounds

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Something something deadline something.

Have not felt very optimistic about our playoff prospects since the deadline at all—
Especially with a first round match up with the Rongos.

Blergh

Well I'm not sure what move (sans Meier) would have helped honestly, but the bottom line is if we continue to have seasons where we win the regular season but not the playoffs than we at least know changes will be made. This isn't the days of Karmanos. Dundon has said on multiple occasions he wants to bring a Cup back to Raleigh. He made a point in saying they've made it 4 years in a row and lost 4 years in a row. Not "hey well at least we're making it, and winning the regular season.". More like "this 2nd round bull shit isn't cutting it".

This year all the teams around us made big moves and beat us to the punch on a few. Shit happens, but this year might just be a catalyst for some bigger changes OR they could make it to the ECF. You never know.

Reactions: Sigurd

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
NJ record at home 19-12-2; away 25-4-4. Maybe the team is playing 3D chess by maneuvering into 2nd place and therefore into a better position to beat NJ in the second round. :sarcasm:
Still better than the Canes 0-7 road record in last year's playoffs

Reactions: cptjeff

MisterDobz

Unauthorized User
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
One last observation, the last two games have had our ‘insiders’ gushing at how well the canes were playing, yet they’ve lost two in a row. If you were to believe them, the only logical assumption you can make is they just aren’t as good as those teams.

Reactions: Sigurd and ndp

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
One last observation, the last two games have had our ‘insiders’ gushing at how well the canes were playing, yet they’ve lost two in a row. If you were to believe them, the only logical assumption you can make is they just aren’t as good as those teams.
How many overtime wins and 1 goal wins do the Hurricanes have this season?

I know that that’s how the best teams win, you’ve got to be in every game.

But other than the last game against TB have the Hurricanes had many dominant wins over strong playoff teams? This season has felt like they’ve eked out wins against strong teams, but when they’ve lost it’s been a pretty strong ass kicking the other way. Something just feels off.

Edit to add: I’m probably way off on this and basing this on the past few games. I’m sure Mr. WeAllKnowWho will pop in with some numbers at some point.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
When it comes to talk about significant changes to the Canes let's not forget that this particular team was built with Patches as an integral goal scoring piece. Based on what I saw in his brief time back, I'm of the firm belief that he would have made a significant difference with regard to offensive potency. Unfortunately the Canes got took a hit two times with his achilles tears.

There have been some (apparent) reactionary moves that have bit other teams in the ass recently. Can you say Darnell Nurse @ $9.25m for 8 years? Sure, the Panthers gave up a 1st, 4th, and prospect for Chiarot at last years deadline, but look at what that did for them in the playof . . . uh, never mind.

tldr: "First, do no harm." Going forward the Borg needs to operate rationally and not emotionally.

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Edit to add: I’m probably way off on this and basing this on the past few games. I’m sure Mr. WeAllKnowWho will pop in with some numbers at some point.
Normally I would, but since you're being kind of a jerk about it, look them up yourself.

Reactions: geehaad

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Normally I would, but since you're being kind of a jerk about it, look them up yourself.
:(

Sorry, didn’t mean to offend. Seriously your insight and numbers are one of the main reasons why I’m here. Helps put things into perspective and keeps things grounded in fact instead of feelings.

Plus I don’t have the skills and I’m sitting in a skid steer on my phone bored to death waiting on my guy to show up with another trailer of hay to unload.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
:(

Sorry, didn’t mean to offend. Seriously your insight and numbers are one of the main reasons why I’m here. Helps put things into perspective and keeps things grounded in fact instead of feelings.

Plus I don’t have the skills and I’m sitting in a skid steer on my phone bored to death waiting on my guy to show up with another trailer of hay to unload.
Fair enough, it just came across rather sarcastically. My apologies if I read it wrong.

Canes have won 21 1-goal games which is tied for Vegas for the most in the NHL
Conversely, Canes have also won 19 3+goal games which is 5th most in the NHL (Boston and TBL. have 20, Tor has 21, Dal has 22).
Canes only have won 3 2-goal games. They are 3-5 in games decided by 2 goals. Probably the biggest reason for the lack of 2-goal games and more 1 goal games though is how terrible Carolina is against the Empty Net.

They've had 28 chances against an EN and have scored 7 and given up 3 goals. They have the 4th WORST performance against the EN in the NHL. It's truly remarkable how bad it is. Boston, TB have 14 EN goals, NJ has 13 and Dallas has 17. If Carolina converted on even 7 more EN chances, they have the 4th most 2-goal wins in the NHL.

Carolina has 7 OT wins. Other top 5 teams in the NHL:
Boston has 5
NJ has 10
Tor has 6
VGN has 7

Canes have been in 6 shoot-outs.
Boston has been in 5
NJ has been in 5
Tor has been in 1
VGN has been in 7
Dallas has been in 6

Canes have the 4th most Regulation Wins in the NHL. EDM, TOR and BOS are the only teams with more.

The only real difference I see from other top teams is in 2-goal games which I think is predominately due to poor performance against the EN.

Also, the Canes have LED for more minutes than any other NHL team and have trailed for fewer minutes than any other NHL team.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Fair enough, it just came across rather sarcastically. My apologies if I read it wrong.

Conversely, Canes have also won 19 3+goal games which is 5th most in the NHL (Boston and TBL. have 20, Tor has 21, Dal has 22).
Canes only have won 3 2-goal games. They are 3-5 in games decided by 2 goals. Probably the biggest reason for the lack of 2-goal games and more 1 goal games though is how terrible Carolina is against the Empty Net.

They've had 28 chances against an EN and have scored 7 and given up 3 goals. They have the 4th WORST performance against the EN in the NHL. It's truly remarkable how bad it is. Boston, TB have 14 EN goals, NJ has 13 and Dallas has 17. If Carolina converted on even 7 more EN chances, they have the 4th most 2-goal wins in the NHL.

Boston has 5
NJ has 10
Tor has 6
VGN has 7

Boston has been in 5
NJ has been in 5
Tor has been in 1
VGN has been in 7
Dallas has been in 6

Canes have the 4th most Regulation Wins in the NHL. EDM, TOR and BOS are the only teams with more.

The only real difference I see from other top teams is in 2-goal games which I think is predominately due to poor performance against the EN.

Also, the Canes have LED for more minutes than any other NHL team and have trailed for fewer minutes than any other NHL team.

That's all very nice, but they've scored only 1 goal in the last 3 games. Time to blow it up! I bet we can get some good futures for Aho!

Signed,
Tapi

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

Boston has 5
NJ has 10
Tor has 6
VGN has 7

Boston has been in 5
NJ has been in 5
Tor has been in 1
VGN has been in 7
Dallas has been in 6

Definitely sarcastic, but not meant to offend.

This is the content we all appreciate.

Edit to add: Pretty fascinating stuff there. How in the world is their EN performance that bad?

Last edited:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Regulation losses:
EDM 4-6 (EN goal)
NYI 2-6 (EN goal)
TOR 1-3
FLA 0-3 (EN goal)
COL 1-4 (EN goal)
ARI 0-4 (EN goal)
NYR 3-5 (PP EN goal)
NSH 3-5 (EN goal)
NJD 3-5 (EN goal)
NYR 2-6 (EN goal)
ANA 2-3
VGK 2-3
VGK 0-4 (EN goal)
NJD 0-3

So yeah, @ndp, maybe you should believe the polar opposite of your feelings.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't think it was a bad game effort wise from just about anybody. My thoughts are largely the same as those on the board.

I love Kochetkov but he was ass.
I love de Haan but he was ass.
I love Jarvis but he is just too weak on his skates right now.
I love the Staal line but it was like they were trying to not score all game.
The Aho line was easily our best line, and played great, but has little shooting confidence.

We're in a slump like we were in early November. Team doesn't have confidence their shots will hit. There's a micro hesitation before shooting, and the shooting accuracy is poor. It's mental. I don't think you can say that our effort level was bad - we looked just as high-octane effort as normal to me.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
When it comes to talk about significant changes to the Canes let's not forget that this particular team was built with Patches as an integral goal scoring piece. Based on what I saw in his brief time back, I'm of the firm belief that he would have made a significant difference with regard to offensive potency. Unfortunately the Canes got took a hit two times with his achilles tears.

There have been some (apparent) reactionary moves that have bit other teams in the ass recently. Can you say Darnell Nurse @ $9.25m for 8 years? Sure, the Panthers gave up a 1st, 4th, and prospect for Chiarot at last years deadline, but look at what that did for them in the playof . . . uh, never mind.

tldr: "First, do no harm." Going forward the Borg needs to operate rationally and not emotionally.
Can't agree with this post enough. We did go out and get the goal scorer. He got injured. A good replacement wasn't available. Sucks, but that's hockey.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
Can't agree with this post enough. We did go out and get the goal scorer. He got injured. A good replacement wasn't available. Sucks, but that's hockey.
But that injured player is no longer counted against the cap (LTIR). So really once that happens its as if a scorer wasnt acquired because he isnt on the roster anymore. Not to mention this specific case is likely a retirement pretty soon

And in a team like Carolina's position youd like to see some sense of urgency. Someone is always available on the market if you're willing to pay what it takes. However its clear management thought they were okay enough to stand pat and make two smaller acquisitions.

Id be pretty upset if my ownership group implied that their one attempt at a goal scorer is now permanently injured and they just go 'ahh well'. Id think odds are they were gun-shy on paying more during the deadline and likely go big name shopping in the offseason (though at what cost after yet another playoff run)

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So yeah, @ndp, maybe you should believe the polar opposite of your feelings.
5e10cca48e0bcf5a1e62f5426101e088_400x400.jpeg

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
"A sense of urgency" usually translates to "getting fleeced".
But what does that all matter when were discussing contending for a Cup? Why do I care if my team lost value in a trade if its in the 2024 draft, which the players from which wouldnt be regulars until 2027+?

Do the Canes seriously need first round picks going forward? They gotta hold onto all their top prospects? I mean most of the core is in their prime and not getting any younger

Im just confused when I see Carolina's moves is all. Gonin for Burns Pacioretty etc and then when the teams scoring drops off a bit before the deadline, the acquisition is Puljujarvi? Idk seems inconsistent

Edit: a lot of contracts to be giving out in the next few years, now was the time they needed to capitalize on cap space. Next year is the last before Necas/Aho/Jarvis/Pesce/TT all need deals

Last edited:

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
But what does that all matter when were discussing contending for a Cup? Why do I care if my team lost value in a trade if its in the 2024 draft, which the players from which wouldnt be regulars until 2027+?

Do the Canes seriously need first round picks going forward? They gotta hold onto all their top prospects? I mean most of the core is in their prime and not getting any younger

Im just confused when I see Carolina's moves is all. Gonin for Burns Pacioretty etc and then when the teams scoring drops off a bit before the deadline, the acquisition is Puljujarvi? Idk seems inconsistent

Edit: a lot of contracts to be giving out in the next few years, now was the time they needed to capitalize on cap space. Next year is the last before Necas/Aho/Jarvis/Pesce/TT all need deals
They went for the big goal scorer available at the deadline in Meier and couldn't get him. Beyond that frankly there wasn't anyone available (who would agree to come here) who is any better then the goal scorers we have.

You mention there is always someone available for the right cost, who? Put a name out there, don't just wave your hands around and say "anyone could be available for the right price"

Edit: Sorry if this comes across as harsh, I just get annoyed when people say “why didn’t they get x, y or z without listed who those people could be.

Last edited:

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
They went for the big goal scorer available at the deadline in Meier and couldn't get him. Beyond that frankly there wasn't anyone available (who would agree to come here) who is any better then the goal scorers we have.

You mention there is always someone available for the right cost, who? Put a name out there, don't just wave your hands around and say "anyone could be available for the right price"
But that isnt my job to list names, thats the GMs job to find that out. Not to mention they work on finding out whos available a year or two before they even are, based on contracts and cap space. This isnt some one-for-one deal with a small market were talking here; rentals include everyone

And Meier wasnt the only option possible thatd have made a difference. Bertuzzi, Granlund, Barbashev, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Horvat, Beauvillier.. And those are just the names that were moved.

The Canes' cap space becomes much harder to juggle in two years time, which basically means this passed deadline and the next one are the last two shots at spending considerable open cap space at the TDL. Odds are affording such luxuries wont be possible after losing cheap ELCs and intermediate deals

Aggression on the market always finds a suitor, it just depends how much you're willing to pay and for how little. And I dont get the feeling Carolina's management was as willing to give up futures as some may think (and is where I dont understand why)

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
"A sense of urgency" usually translates to "getting fleeced".

I don't know about "usually", but I sure would say "often". Just a couple examples:
  • Oil urgently needed a top pair RD and traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson.
  • Panthers urgently needed to upgrade their D last playoffs and traded a 1st, a 4th, and a prospect for a rental Chiarot.
  • Oil urgently needed a top pair LD and signed Nurse for 8 yrs at $9.25m per.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Yes, it matters, because if we're not idiots we'll have a very good chance at a cup next year too. And the year after that. And the year after that. And the year after that.

Betting it all on one season is a losing bet. Even if you go all in your real odds of winning the cup max out at around 20%. If you want to win a cup, you have to position yourself to be in contention for a long time. Contending is a long term endeavor, it's not instant gratification.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
But that isnt my job to list names, thats the GMs job to find that out. Not to mention they work on finding out whos available a year or two before they even are, based on contracts and cap space. This isnt some one-for-one deal with a small market were talking here; rentals include everyone

And Meier wasnt the only option possible thatd have made a difference. Bertuzzi, Granlund, Barbashev, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Horvat, Beauvillier.. And those are just the names that were moved.

The Canes' cap space becomes much harder to juggle in two years time, which basically means this passed deadline and the next one are the last two shots at spending considerable open cap space at the TDL. Odds are affording such luxuries wont be possible after losing cheap ELCs and intermediate deals

Aggression on the market always finds a suitor, it just depends how much you're willing to pay and for how little. And I dont get the feeling Carolina's management was as willing to give up futures as some may think (and is where I dont understand why)
And to assume the GM is not doing that is silly. Off the list I’d say Horvat would have been a good option but it goes against the rental mindset of the Borg (for better or worse). We don’t know that Tarasenko would have come here. O’Reilly wasn’t what they were looking for and may not have come here.

Beauvillier went for Horvat, doesn’t mean he was available otherwise. And the other names frankly have not been any better this year then the guys we have in the top 6. If the Canes are going to overpay for someone it needs to be for certainty not hope that they can be what they were in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad