Blue Jays Discussion: The Hunt For the Pennant is On: Meaningful Jays Ball in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'm not even bothering looking at New York. Just get out there and win. If they continue winning every series, they will win the division. Just do their thing. It's funny 2-3 weeks ago, I was called crazy for thinking we could catch KC (we were 7 back then). We can. But that likely means a Yankees matchup first round, if we finish first. I think Id rather Houston.

If we want to win the World Series, it doesn't matter who we face. I think having home field advantage for the entire playoffs helps us a lot more... especially considering the splits between home/road for most of our pitchers.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure if it has been posted but the Jays become the first team since the '04 Astros to reach 20 games over .500 after being below .500 after the AS break (50-51 record on July 28th).

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Not sure if it has been posted but the Jays become the first team since the '04 Astros to reach 20 games over .500 after being below .500 after the AS break (50-51 record on July 28th).

That stat is a bit misleading though considering the Jays were as close to .500 as you could possibly get while being below it. So, it's not as impressive as it may seem, it has been a great run nonetheless.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
That stat is a bit misleading though considering the Jays were as close to .500 as you could possibly get while being below it. So, it's not as impressive as it may seem, it has been a great run nonetheless.

You have some pretty loft expectations if you think that it's not as impressive as it may seem. That is an incredible feat for the Jays. 1 game under to 20 over...yeah a 21 game difference since the other star break isn't very impressive LMFAO

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Maybe not as impressive as the Astros being 56-60 on the 14th of August and finishing the rest of the season at 36-10, but that's still a 21 game swing within a little over a month of baseball.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
For someone who gets so many hits, that sub 100 wRC+ is most certainly spectacularly perplexing.

How can that be?? Is it because he doesn't walk often, the jays dont steal with him, or that he had Tulo in front of him for a while?

There must be a palpable reason.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

How is it misleading? It's pretty impressive.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
For those wondering, Bisons play today at 1:05 PM and Stroman is pitching. Let's hope he has a good outing.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Since the season is winding down, I thought I'd start a chat on potential awards.

Let's start with the basics...Kevin Pillar will not win a gold glove. As much as he's been solid defensively, gold gloves are position based and it will be Kiermaier.

On the other hand, Martin should win the gold glove behind the plate. He has the best defensive numbers amongst all MLB catchers AND had to catch the damned knuckleball.

Donaldson (like Pillar) is the 2nd best defensive player at his position (behind Machado in his case).

The Cy Young should be a 3 horse race. Sale leads all advanced stats, but his actual stats suggest he is having an inferior year to Kuechel and Price (he has a 3.29 ERA in 20 less innings, but his predictive stats are naturally going to be a heck of a lot lower given his crazy K rate).

If the voters actually look at the seasons themselves, the Cy Young should be between Kuechel (17 wins, 200.1 IP, 2.29 ERA) and Price (14 wins, 196.1 IP, 2.43 ERA).

And last but not least is the MVP "race". While it was a race at the all-star break when Trout was ahead of Donaldson in WAR, Donaldson has taken off and now leads WAR in the AL by 0.4. Adding in that the Blue Jays are a division leader (and Anaheim looks like they will miss the playoffs), Donaldson should simply have to not collapse to win the MVP at this point.

Also, expect Anthopoulos to win executive of the year. I don't see any possible way that he isn't.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
How can that be?? Is it because he doesn't walk often, the jays dont steal with him, or that he had Tulo in front of him for a while?

There must be a palpable reason.

Baserunning and who's batting before/after him don't affect wRC+. He amasses all of him batting value by hitting singles - very few walks and no power whatsoever - so it's amazing that he even manages to be approximately league average with the bat.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Sonny Gray is the front runner for AL Cy. Gibby us in the running for manager of the year :laugh:. I could see Tulo picking up a gold glove too.

Alcides Escobar will likely win the GG at SS. I can't see Gray winning the Cy Young...Kuechel is better in almost every stat.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Pillar probably will win a Gold Glove. His highlight reel plays have drawn enough attention to his defense that I think he has a great chance. He doesn't have to beat Kiermaier since OF Gold gloves aren't specific to which position you play.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Holy Debbie downer. It's incredibly impressive

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Pillar probably will win a Gold Glove. His highlight reel plays have drawn enough attention to his defense that I think he has a great chance. He doesn't have to beat Kiermaier since OF Gold gloves aren't specific to which position you play.

Yes they are...they switched it in 2010.

The one thing Pillar has going for him is that he is the best CF in all of baseball at catching "in zone" flies. Kiermeier gains foolish value off his arm, but in terms of playing CF itself, Pillar is very comparable.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Man josh Johnson' rehab start went well. 4 pitches and out and now out for the season. Injuries killed what could have been a great career

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

The one thing Pillar has going for him is that he is the best CF in all of baseball at catching "in zone" flies. Kiermeier gains foolish value off his arm, but in terms of playing CF itself, Pillar is very comparable.

Oh that sucks, can't see him catching Kiermeier if it has to be a CF.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Donaldson will get MVP, there's no doubt.
I don't think Price will get the Cy Young... Sale/Keuchel I think are front runners. But would love to see Price continue his success and win it.

I could see Donaldson, Martin, and MAYBE Pillar and Tulo getting a gold glove.

Regardless, it has been a very good team this year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
really doubt Tulo gets an AL gold glove since he's only been in the AL for 2 months.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I don't think we'll see any GG's on the Jays this season. Perez probably gets one ahead of Martin, Machado ahead of Donaldson, KK ahead of Pillar, and Goins hasn't played enough games. Pretty amazing basically our whole roster minus Joey Bats and Revere are GG caliber players.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Huh. Not sure how I missed that one, but that's a terrible change. I guess I don't pay enough attention to the Gold Gloves.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Man josh Johnson' rehab start went well. 4 pitches and out and now out for the season. Injuries killed what could have been a great career

I remember that interview welcoming him to the Jays in his own home like it was yesterday.

I don't think we'll see any GG's on the Jays this season. Perez probably gets one ahead of Martin, Machado ahead of Donaldson, KK ahead of Pillar, and Goins hasn't played enough games. Pretty amazing basically our whole roster minus Joey Bats and Revere are GG caliber players.

What's the minimum requirements to be eligible? Pillar, Tulo and Goins are probably the most deserving.

Edit: Forgot about them being handed out on a position to position basis.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Pillar is 2nd in the AL in defensive WAR. OF GG should be Keirmaier, Pillar and Cain.

The thing Pillar has going for him is his. 959 catch rate on balls to CF and his MLB leading 103 catches on balls not hit to CF. He's a vacuum in CF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad