MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
1st round pick: Seth Jones
2nd round pick: Hartman/Duclair/de la Rose/Carrier

or

1st round pick: Drouin
2nd round pick: Hagg/Mueller/Theodore/Thompson/Morin

This assumes that Siemens, Sgarbossa, Elliott, or Hishon can't develop into a role.

Even if Jones is a RHD, i would love to have him in my team.

Being from Quebec, I had the chance to see Droiun and MacKinnion live at least 10 times. Drouin is a magician, this kid has the best hands in the draft. He reminds me of Giroux. MacKinnon does eveything at fastforward. Play physical. Plays a little bit like Forsberg but he wont put Forsberg numbers.

One thing is sure, you win guys like Drouin and Mackinnon

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
-by quick count 30%+ of those players are not with their origional team.

Where we differ I think is that i do not feel the Avs are 2yrs or more from competing. they may not be a Cup winning team for 2yrs (but if LA can win just barely making the dance, then who knows?).

And IMO sometimes you have to "lose" a trade in a sense, to get what you need to win. EJ and Varly trades could easily be viewed as not getting equal value, but neither trade in my opinion made this team weaker or less competitive.

But why "lose" a trade when you can get the better overall piece in the draft? If a deal is Jones/Mac/Drouin/Barkov for Kulikov + Shore, I run far far away from that trade. Now if we are looking at a Nurse for Kulikov + Shore, I say go ahead and do the trade.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
And IMO sometimes you have to "lose" a trade in a sense, to get what you need to win. EJ and Varly trades could easily be viewed as not getting equal value, but neither trade in my opinion made this team weaker or less competitive.

I agree 100%

Gotta be honest with the team's needs and strike when it's available, even if you take a hit in the process.. I would trade Stastny for a veteran D if that meant a long playoff run. Maybe not this season though.

Avs have killer offense and no depth defensively. Varly looks like he's going to be an elite goalie when he doesn't have to stand on his head every night. Stastny is our best sensible trade asset and D is what we desperately need. Add one top pairing D + a good depth D and you could have a solid cup contender.

p.s. IMO

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree 100%

Gotta be honest with the team's needs and strike when it's available, even if you take a hit in the process.. I would trade Stastny for a veteran D if that meant a long playoff run. Maybe not this season though.

Avs have killer offense and no depth defensively. Varly looks like he's going to be an elite goalie when he doesn't have to stand on his head every night. Stastny is our best sensible trade asset and D is what we desperately need. Add one top pairing D + a depth D and you could have a solid cup contender.

p.s. IMO

Eh, I love Matty and ROR, but Staz gives us that great trio that lets us compete with any team, that's why I'm ok with giving up our pick if it addresses the top pairing problem. With a quality EJ partner our D would actually be good, Hejda-Barrie second pairing's legit and Wilson-SOB as the third pairing would be sweet. With Varly behind them and three quality lines that's a team that can start making some serious playoff runs. We've got the wingers (Landy, PAP, McGinn, Downie, Mitchell, Sgar, Jones, Hishon?) even though we could use a stud, but it's that Dman that we desperately need to start contending under a new coach.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Eh, I love Matty and ROR, but Staz gives us that great trio that lets us compete with any team, that's why I'm ok with giving up our pick if it addresses the top pairing problem. With a quality EJ partner our D would actually be good, Hejda-Barrie second pairing's legit and Wilson-SOB as the third pairing would be sweet. With Varly behind them and three quality lines that's a team that can start making some serious playoff runs. We've got the wingers (Landy, PAP, McGinn, Downie, Mitchell, Sgar, Jones, Hishon?) even though we could use a stud, but it's that Dman that we desperately need to start contending under a new coach.

I see what you did there.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Sorry, I think this team will continue to have giant holes in the lineup so long as we continue to invest over $12 million in two centers, neither of whom is quite worth that kind of money. And again, with three guys like this at center you're bound to short change someone in ice time or role, and resources could be better used elsewhere. Much as I am and always will be a Stastny fan, I think the team should look to move him this offseason.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If were giving up our Top 5 or Top 3 pick via trade for a Dman. That Dman had better he one hell of a player already.

I wouldn't do it for Kulikov, that would be terrible asset management for the Avs.

Someone like McDonagh, OEL.

A Top 3 pick in this draft is basically a sure thing to be a star player in the league, absolutely no reason to move that pick unless its for another star player.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If were giving up our Top 5 or Top 3 pick via trade for a Dman. That Dman had better he one hell of a player already.

I wouldn't do it for Kulikov, that would be terrible asset management for the Avs.

Someone like McDonagh, OEL.

A Top 3 pick in this draft is basically a sure thing to be a star player in the league, absolutely no reason to move that pick unless its for another star player.

This. If it is 8-12, it can be used as trade bait.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
If we tank and happen to get 1st overall -> Draft Jones and sign a top 4 defenseman in free agency

But if we start winning big (NOW!) we trade for a top pairing D at the deadline. I'm up for trading Stastny/1st rounder but only if we can make the playoffs

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
If we tank and happen to get 1st overall -> Draft Jones and sign a top 4 defenseman in free agency

But if we start winning big (NOW!) we trade for a top pairing D at the deadline. I'm up for trading Stastny/1st rounder but only if we can make the playoffs

If the Avs start winning, I'm reasonably certain that Stastny will have a lot to do with it.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If we start winning now I will be beyond pissed.

And we are a freaking rebuilding team. We can not trade 1sts back to back. Especially not in this draft.
Rather trade Stastny + Elliott or something for a capable defender.
But I don't see one out there that would make me happy.

Drop like Stones for Jones!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sorry, I think this team will continue to have giant holes in the lineup so long as we continue to invest over $12 million in two centers, neither of whom is quite worth that kind of money. And again, with three guys like this at center you're bound to short change someone in ice time or role, and resources could be better used elsewhere. Much as I am and always will be a Stastny fan, I think the team should look to move him this offseason.

What are the holes if we add a legit EJ Partner? We're set in net, we'll have a good D, we don't have an elite winger, but Landy, PAP, McGinn, Downie, Mitchell, Jones and Sgar is enough quality for each of our centers to take advantage of lesser opposition.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kulikov would give Varly someone to complain in Russian to. :laugh:

You seem to have forgotten our new Russian Comrade...

Whats his name again? Rayan Orielikov?

Funny thing is Oreilly actually learned a couple Russian phrases in the motherland, and apparently says them to Varly sometimes and they have had some laughs over them.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Funny thing is Oreilly actually learned a couple Russian phrases in the motherland, and apparently says them to Varly sometimes and they have had some laughs over them.

Phrases like........

"мне получить шесть миллионов из этих парней" - Watch me get six million out of these guys

"Я слышал, Дюшен болтается теперь с Бибера" - I heard Duchene is hanging out with Bieber now

"Следите за что выстрел! О слишком поздно. Ха-ха-ха ....Мальчика мы сосать, Varly" - Watch out for that shot! Oh too late..ha ha ha.....Boy do we suck, Varly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What are the holes if we add a legit EJ Partner? We're set in net, we'll have a good D, we don't have an elite winger, but Landy, PAP, McGinn, Downie, Mitchell, Jones and Sgar is enough quality for each of our centers to take advantage of lesser opposition.

There's still the glaring hole at coach :shakehead

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I really hope we get Seth Jones then, and either he or EJ play on their off side, because then the board next year wont be filled by all the b****ing and moaning about Sherman not getting a partner for EJ.
Maybe we'll just start scoring 8 goals a game and it wont matter.

I've become pro Tank!

Actually still pro Trade for LHD+Winger+

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I really hope we get Seth Jones then, and either he or EJ play on their off side, because then the board next year wont be filled by all the b****ing and moaning about Sherman not getting a partner for EJ.
Maybe we'll just start scoring 8 goals a game and it wont matter.

I've become pro Tank!

Actually still pro Trade for LHD+Winger+

To me if the Avs land Jones, then both Barrie and Elliott are completely expendable in a package for a LHD to play with EJ. That would be the ideal situation IMO, and it wouldn't force Jones into playing on the top line in his rookie season.

The third pairing is not that essential to keep Barrie and/or Elliott around for, especially if they get a real coach that knows how to lean on his best defenseman.

Yandle - EJ
Hejda - Jones

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
To me if the Avs land Jones, then both Barrie and Elliott are completely expendable in a package for a LHD to play with EJ. That would be the ideal situation IMO, and it wouldn't force Jones into playing on the top line in his rookie season.

The third pairing is not that essential to keep Barrie and/or Elliott around for, especially if they get a real coach that knows how to lean on his best defenseman.

Yandle - EJ
Hejda - Jones

I'd imagine this wouldn't happen right away, and that they'd want to see him in at least a training camp and probably a full preseason before dealing from RD. Although prospect for prospect, it'd be an overall upgrade in theory. Just dislike assuming that even a top tier prospect like Jones can come in at the same level as even a somewhat established prospect like Barrie or Elliott.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Yandle - EJ
Hejda - Jones

I get it, just disagree.

Perhaps, for me, it depends on how long it takes to settle the contracts with Stastny and ROR so a trade can be made by next deadline at the latest to get the LHD. With the potential FA crop in 2014 Avs should be able to acquire 1 or 2 scoring wingers.

Although I would like to say its 2013-2014,
2014-2015 should be the end of "the rebuild"

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Yandle - EJ
Hejda - Jones

Alternatively, Erik Johnson becomes expendable getting Tyson Barrie a defenseman to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad