Line Combos: The Hunt for EJ's Left Handed Man

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd imagine this wouldn't happen right away, and that they'd want to see him in at least a training camp and probably a full preseason before dealing from RD. Although prospect for prospect, it'd be an overall upgrade in theory. Just dislike assuming that even a top tier prospect like Jones can come in at the same level as even a somewhat established prospect like Barrie or Elliott.

I don't think so. I haven't fully scouted Jones, but I also have some concern on Barrie's overall game, and I can easily say the top two pairings consisting of EJ and Jones, looks a lot better than EJ and Barrie.

Therefore, they don't have to wait that long to use Barrie/Elliott in a package to bring in a LHD for EJ that's better now than either of them, and most likely in the future.

I get it, just disagree.

Perhaps, for me, it depends on how long it takes to settle the contracts with Stastny and ROR so a trade can be made by next deadline at the latest to get the LHD. With the potential FA crop in 2014 Avs should be able to acquire 1 or 2 scoring wingers.

Although I would like to say its 2013-2014,
2014-2015 should be the end of "the rebuild"

If you have EJ and Jones on the right side, then having Barrie and Elliott is just a luxury, and probably waters down any top level game you hope they will get to . Might as well use them in a a trade for a LD to play with EJ in that scenario.

A legit team leans on their top four heavily, especially the top pairing. The 3rd unit doesn't need to be all that great, just look at the Avs cup winning teams. The 3rd unit was ok, but not great. I see no problem with a 3rd unit being some combination of O'Brien, Wilson, O'Byrne, Zanon, Hunwikck, UFA, if they have the proper distribution of minutes with a legit top four.

Alternatively, Erik Johnson becomes expendable getting Tyson Barrie a defenseman to play with.

Yuck, really? Two relatively unproven guys in Barrie and Jones as 2 of the 3 major pieces in the top four makes you feel comfortable?

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
My short term expectations (1-2 years) are very low.

Unfortunately it seems many here feel the same way.

The Avalanche who had 10 more points than Montreal last year, 8 more points than Toronto and Anaheim, and were 7 points out of a playoff spot are doomed for failing til 2014-2015 at the earliest.

Might as well keep Sacco through the end of his contract so we get a good pick next year too.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Unfortunately it seems many here feel the same way.

The Avalanche who had 10 more points than Montreal last year, 8 more points than Toronto and Anaheim, and were 7 points out of a playoff spot are doomed for failing til 2014-2015 at the earliest.

Might as well keep Sacco through the end of his contract so we get a good pick next year too.

Sam Reinhart.. Drool..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad