The hole on the second line (Tangradi -> Kennedy -> Glass -> ???)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd rather see TK with Crosby, and Kunitz with Malkin. Tk and Sid actually had limited chemistry last year.

But I can understand why Bylsma doesn't want to throw every good winger on the team to Malkin and give Crosby nothing. Still from a chemistry standpoint I think we'd be better off with:

Dupuis-Sid-Tk
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

I think you watched a different Sid last year. I saw a guy who was frustrated all the damn time playing with TK.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
For all the hype that the third line is getting, they really didn't do anything in the first three games. Or even play together that much five on five.

Actually, thinking about it, we spill an awful lot of ink on here worrying about lines considering how much DB mixes them up. He throws his "two headed monster" out there and you get musical lines for the rest of the period.

Don't even go there.:rant: This isn't the Jordan Staal third line. Sutter has been so very dynamic defensively. He's changing the entire way we play the neutral zone and d-zone.

You won't see the high ceiling of goals. But I have DEFINITELY seen some great consistent play by that 3rd line. Definitely steal momentum, too.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think you watched a different Sid last year. I saw a guy who was frustrated all the damn time playing with TK.

Maybe I'm just thinking wistfully of that game against the Jets where Sid setup TK for 2 goals.

All I know is I'm more worried about Geno's line than Sid's. Sid will find a way to score. Geno will too but I think he's more prone to getting away from his game due to playing with bad players than Sid is. Sid is used to it by now, which is sad but true.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I get so tired of people trashing Tangradi and then saying TRADE HIM! If he's so bad, no team is going to trade for him. Why do we even let the guy steal oxygen at this point?

As for TK moving to the 2nd line - I think it's a mistake. Should be Cooke. TK is the better offensive player, but Cooke knows who he is and will play within himself and add something to that 2nd line. Kennedy will just suck offense away from the two more skilled players.

As for people saying to reunite Kunitz - Malkin - Neal: Perfect! Then Crosby could fill the void left behind by Staal's departure! Although 8.7M for a checking line center seems a tad pricey.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Don't even go there.:rant: This isn't the Jordan Staal third line. Sutter has been so very dynamic defensively. He's changing the entire way we play the neutral zone and d-zone.

You won't see the high ceiling of goals. But I have DEFINITELY seen some great consistent play by that 3rd line. Definitely steal momentum, too.

No worries, mon. Everyone gets a turn. It's the Malkin-Go-Round.

Bylsma cautioned that while Kennedy practiced with Malkin and Neal today, during games different players may slot into that wing depending on the situation.

“In different situations, you may see another player go there as well whether (we’re) up or down in the game,” Bylsma said. “Last night, we were down in the game and Tyler got inserted there as a result for a little bit more of a jump than Eric was providing. In defensive situations, Tanner Glass has been there. We would expect to probably see them both there again the next two games.”

Medic412

Jan 22, 2013
I get so tired of people trashing Tangradi and then saying TRADE HIM! If he's so bad, no team is going to trade for him. Why do we even let the guy steal oxygen at this point?

I guess we were all just hoping he fit into a top 6 role but the science experiment is finished. I really think it's just a matter of time. Shero is starting warm up the trading department. FINGERS CROSSED:D

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I guess we were all just hoping he fit into a top 6 role but the science experiment is finished. I really think it's just a matter of time. Shero is starting warm up the trading department. FINGERS CROSSED:D

And what do you expect the return will be?

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I'm losing faith in Bylsma fast. This is a horrible decision. You have a hole in the second line so you move a third liner out of his role to play on the second, then move a 4th liner out of his role to play on the 3rd, then put a player that doesn't belong on the 4th on that line.

You had one hole in the line up & managed to make two lines weaker & one only marginally better instead of showing patience & finding a player to fit that role.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm losing faith in Bylsma fast. This is a horrible decision. You have a hole in the second line so you move a third liner out of his role to play on the second, then move a 4th liner out of his role to play on the 3rd, then put a player that doesn't belong on the 4th on that line.

You had one hole in the line up & managed to make two lines weaker & one only marginally better instead of showing patience & finding a player to fit that role.

I agree in general. Though I think Tangradi could play just fine on the 4th line with Vitale if he gets consistent minutes there.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Is what it is. The sooner Shero finds a trade partner, the better. Sid looked like he was getting his timing back in the 3rd period last night. If he can get back to form, we'll be fine.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh

I hear you, but you have to admit, he's faced with a crappy situation with no great answer.

To me, I'm wondering what the hell Shero was doing all summer. He's the one who showed no urgency whatsoever to fill an obvious hole in his line-up. Though he did pursue Parise and Doan, and oddly just stopped there. At the very least he could have taken a flier on a Mueller type.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If you take the first two letters of Tyler Kenndey's first and last name, it spells TYKE. Coincidence? Just sayin...

1336568413511-1.jpg

Medic412

Jan 22, 2013
And what do you expect the return will be?

That's tough to say. It seems to actually move him to another team is only likely going to happen with a multi-player trade or for a later pick in the 2013 draft.

Would anyone value Tangradi as a 3rd round pick or is that way to high?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I have no idea why we don't just reunite the best line from one season ago, and let Sid figure out who else fits on his line.

I have no idea why people hate on Kennedy and on giving him a chance to play on Crosby's line, and somehow claim that Sid was "frustrated" last season playing with him. Kennedy's game meshes so well with Crosby's. They play the same style of game. The only thing Kennedy needs to do is learn how to play with an elite player like Crosby, which is something that only comes with time. Give him a chance to learn to shoot a little less, and feed the puck to Crosby a little more. He looked pretty good to me last season with Crosby when he came back. He produced then too.

Also Tangradi has always played better with Crosby than he's played with Malkin, yet that combo is never tried. It's always Malkin's line where Tangradi gets stuck. Give him a shot with Crosby if he must be tried again in the top 6. Stop putting the guy on a line where he hasn't shown any chemistry.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Crosby - Kennedy
Cooke - Sutter - Tangradi

This reunites Malkin's line, puts Crosby with players that play the same style and at the same speed, and puts Tangradi in a less stressful position where he doesn't need to focus on producing points and allows him to "get to his game."

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The only thing Kennedy needs to do is learn how to play with an elite player like Crosby, which is something that only comes with time.

I disagree with your entire post (I'm really tired of seeing people coddle Malkin while turning Sid into a 3rd line grinder via his linemates), but I thought this particular sentiment was especially intriguing, especially juxtaposed with the entire Tangradi thing.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I disagree with your entire post (I'm really tired of seeing people coddle Malkin while turning Sid into a 3rd line grinder via his linemates), but I thought this particular sentiment was especially intriguing, especially juxtaposed with the entire Tangradi thing.

I agree that Tangradi needs time to get used to playing with skilled players too, but I'm not even going to argue that point.

That's one of the best lineups we can come up with until the deadline and can acquire a more skilled forward or two to play with Crosby.

I have no clue how you can disagree with my whole post though. Malkin would do well to be reunited with Kunitz so we could ice the best line in the NHL from a season ago. Tangradi would do well to be somewhere that he's not counted on to produce offense so he can just focus on playing his game. Crosby would play just fine for now with two players that play the same exact game that he does.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I get that Shero wanted Parise or Doan & wasn't going to add a player just to add one. Tangradi has had a pretty rough start. Why no try DJ or Bennett? Then look at a trade if it doesn't work out.

My point is you don't create two holes to fill one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad