Beginners: The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Hello guys,

I have been a Left Wing for about 99% of my career, but my coach wants me to play Defense. I'm not going to say no, so I have been trying it out. I haven't played it in a game situation yet, but I like it. I haven't played defense since my first game in Mites, and that was a disaster (I made the switch to LW after that). After that, in Mites and Squirts I played D on the PP sometimes but was of course a LW. Now, my 1st year playing HS hockey, I am playing D again. I am tall (5'10") but have no muscle mass :laugh: , which makes it hard for me to knock guys down. I know the position well, but I am skeptical about my ability to play it in a game situation. I am slow skater (thanks to the long layoff) and pretty timid out there (I am always afraid too get hit for some reason). My strengths are playmaking and shooting the puck (wrist shots). We'll see how it goes, does anyone have any advice.

It looks like I am going to be on the 1st pairing.

First of all, congrats in making the 1st pairing in your 1st year of HS hockey and having just transitioned from forward at at that.

Sounds like despite the slow footspeed, you have a decent amount of skill as your coach is showing a good a amount of trust in you by putting you on the first pairing. I think you've already got the most important thing down by having an open mind and showing a team approach.

The next thing I'd consider is asking your coach what his expectations of you are. Does he want you to be more if a responsible defensive player, puck mover, etc. it might be wiser to focus on your defensive game at first. Keep things simple. Always try to keep your guy to the outside defending the rush, keep the puck away from the middle when clearing, etc.

Also very important, learn to communicate with your partner and the goalie.

Good luck!

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
First of all, congrats in making the 1st pairing in your 1st year of HS hockey and having just transitioned from forward at at that.

Sounds like despite the slow footspeed, you have a decent amount of skill as your coach is showing a good a amount of trust in you by putting you on the first pairing. I think you've already got the most important thing down by having an open mind and showing a team approach.

The next thing I'd consider is asking your coach what his expectations of you are. Does he want you to be more if a responsible defensive player, puck mover, etc. it might be wiser to focus on your defensive game at first. Keep things simple. Always try to keep your guy to the outside defending the rush, keep the puck away from the middle when clearing, etc.

Also very important, learn to communicate with your partner and the goalie.

Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words.

I just purchased new skates, and I hope they will help in the skating department.

In all honesty, I think I am in my situation because we are very forward heavy, and he likes me. I am excited for the oppurtunity, we will see how it goes.

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
Just wanted to share that I got out for my first game in almost a year. I still suck but it felt great to get out there. Gonna be sore tomorrow though.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Took my kids to open ice for the first time today, for all of us. I was pretty happy with the results. The ten year old, girl, had a great time and was doing pretty good. She has been roller blading for the last year or so. The boy, three years old, wasn't too big into it. Wanted to go but didn't like being on the ice and I wasn't able to be much help but he was upset when we left and said he wants to "play skate".

I was able to recall my roller blading days from almost twenty years ago and stayed on my feet. Going to take them again in a few days. Anyone have any suggestions for my little guy?

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Took my kids to open ice for the first time today, for all of us. I was pretty happy with the results. The ten year old, girl, had a great time and was doing pretty good. She has been roller blading for the last year or so. The boy, three years old, wasn't too big into it. Wanted to go but didn't like being on the ice and I wasn't able to be much help but he was upset when we left and said he wants to "play skate".

I was able to recall my roller blading days from almost twenty years ago and stayed on my feet. Going to take them again in a few days. Anyone have any suggestions for my little guy?

I would suggest him signing up for a "Learn to Play Hockey" class.

BDEuph

Hotty Toddy
Feb 3, 2009
After losing 165lbs over the past several months, I am making good on a promise I made to myself to learn how to skate and learn the game of hockey from a players stand point. I always said that if I fell under 300 lbs, I would learn to skate. Well, I am now 265-ish (just turned 38 y/o) and now it's time to make good :).

My path is to take a learn to skate class and register and participate in the HNA St Louis Beginner Hockey School. I just bought some new Bauer Vapor X3.0 for $80 USD, I am ready get them sharpened and learn how to use them and learn this game I love to watch.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
After losing 165lbs over the past several months, I am making good on a promise I made to myself to learn how to skate and learn the game of hockey from a players stand point. I always said that if I fell under 300 lbs, I would learn to skate. Well, I am now 265-ish (just turned 38 y/o) and now it's time to make good :).

My path is to take a learn to skate class and register and participate in the HNA St Louis Beginner Hockey School. I just bought some new Bauer Vapor X3.0 for $80 USD, I am ready get them sharpened and learn how to use them and learn this game I love to watch.

Congratulations on this tremendous accomplishment! And good luck with the skating and hockey. The only advice I can really give you is to keep practicing. Work on your skating whenever you can. Oh, and have fun!

boo10

Jan 19, 2013
/QUOTE]

Truly a tremendous accomplishment. You have my admiration and respect! :)

PAZUZU

Jan 25, 2012
Philly 'burbs

at the rink near my house, they have a stack of orange traffic cones. both of my girls would use one of those to hang onto when they were first learning how to skate.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I had my first game on Wednesday, and it was a disappointment. Our JV team lost 10-0 to the opposing team's Varsity team. We only skate once a week, and they skate every day, so it wasn't really a surprise to some people. It was my first game since I was a Squirt, and I had the second most ice time on the team. I was a -4, playing on the first pairing. I also got double shifted some times, and oh my god, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, because I wasn't perfect, but my teammates were really aggravating me. The wingers didn't know what to do in the defensive zone, so whenever I would get the puck, the wingers were no where to be seen. I would have to either go D to D or skate the puck out of the zone to move the puck out, which was a disaster 75% of the time. When I got double shifted, I would have to play with our 5th defenseman, and he just doesn't know how to play hockey. He can barely skate and wouldn't stay on his own side. He gave alot of 2 on 1s, and it was just frustrating. My game wasn't perfect of course. I tried to keep the attacking forwards outside of the circles, but I didn't attack him them, allowing them to go right around me. Their behind the net play was great, and we couldn't stop it. They probably scored 6 of their 10 goals from cycling the puck around the net. Hopefully with more practice, we will get better. It just sucks we don't get alot of practice time. Having practice once a week is awful, and keeps me hockey starved all week. Despite me ripping on my teammates, I'm still proud that we gave an honest effort, I am just frustrated. I feel I would be much better playing at my natrual position on LW, but my coach feels that me playing D is better for the team, even though I disagree with him, I am probably going to keep playing D.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego

(mod edit), dude. Nice work. If you can do that, you can definitely learn to skate and play hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I had my first game on Wednesday, and it was a disappointment. Our JV team lost 10-0 to the opposing team's Varsity team. We only skate once a week, and they skate every day, so it wasn't really a surprise to some people. It was my first game since I was a Squirt, and I had the second most ice time on the team. I was a -4, playing on the first pairing. I also got double shifted some times, and oh my god, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, because I wasn't perfect, but my teammates were really aggravating me. The wingers didn't know what to do in the defensive zone, so whenever I would get the puck, the wingers were no where to be seen. I would have to either go D to D or skate the puck out of the zone to move the puck out, which was a disaster 75% of the time. When I got double shifted, I would have to play with our 5th defenseman, and he just doesn't know how to play hockey. He can barely skate and wouldn't stay on his own side. He gave alot of 2 on 1s, and it was just frustrating. My game wasn't perfect of course. I tried to keep the attacking forwards outside of the circles, but I didn't attack him them, allowing them to go right around me. Their behind the net play was great, and we couldn't stop it. They probably scored 6 of their 10 goals from cycling the puck around the net. Hopefully with more practice, we will get better. It just sucks we don't get alot of practice time. Having practice once a week is awful, and keeps me hockey starved all week. Despite me ripping on my teammates, I'm still proud that we gave an honest effort, I am just frustrated. I feel I would be much better playing at my natrual position on LW, but my coach feels that me playing D is better for the team, even though I disagree with him, I am probably going to keep playing D.

I'm guessing he wants you to play D since you're the only one who can skate backwards?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Devs eh?

SOA FMM here myself.

Just getting back on the skates myself this winter for the first time in a decade after rehabbing my knee injuries a bit. Going to start off as low level as you can get here until I get the hang of things again (C-2 Lower Division).

Enjoy it.

BDEuph

Hotty Toddy
Feb 3, 2009
Devs eh?

SOA FMM here myself.

Just getting back on the skates myself this winter for the first time in a decade after rehabbing my knee injuries a bit. Going to start off as low level as you can get here until I get the hang of things again (C-2 Lower Division).

Enjoy it.

:)...yup Devs 94-97

I am going to my 1st ever skating lessons today. My skated are sharpened and baked an ready to go. Fulfilling a goal.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
At 36 years old, I am now officially 8 games into my playing career.
Its been a blast, we've won more than we have lost(including scoring 4 unanswered goals in the 3rd period last night to win 6-4), and most importantly- I play with a great bunch of guys, who all get along.
I'm also sort of proud of my 6 points(1g 5a) in the 8 games. I am probably the least expierienced player(in terms of playing inside, I've played pond hockey here and there over the years). I'm learning, and having a blast doing it.
I've played a ton of softball, and softball tourneys over the past 10 or so years, and it doesn't even come close to the feeling I get playing hockey.

thepetrochemist

Jan 8, 2014
Genève Switzerland
it's nice to see all kind of people getting started with skating and hockey at any age here...

I also started from scratch 2 years ago, kept practicing even when I felt like no improvement at all, and now my level is good enough for me to completely enjoy playing on week-ends with people at the local rink... and it's fantastic !

I always tought hockey was a sport you learn as a kid and after it's too late, but boy was I wrong !

now I'm trying to bring all my friends to get into it...

hilega

Dec 6, 2012
400sCapsShootTwice
Started my second eight week session of the Learn to Play class at the Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo (home of the LA Kings). The class had eight people in it and most folks were in their 40s. After an initial skate, our instructor told myself and my classmate from last time to move up to the Be a Player class. It was so much fun with some good 3v3 action with a goalie. Huge smile on my face! Get seven more weeks of one hour intense practice. Love this game.

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
I got moved up in my learn to play to the more advanced group too. There's loads more passing, shooting and above all, skating, which is really cool. But it also exposed my skating weaknesses. I can skate forwards and backwards and crossover but I really need to work on transitions and turns.

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
In your hockey career, please learn to jump the boards when getting on the ice for a line change, and use the door when leaving the ice.

Traffic jams at the door do two things:

1. Obviously slow down the line change, and

2. Put you at risk for a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty.

Point #1: I hate it when one of our guys is screaming to get clear of the door so he can get on the ice. Use the boards!

Point #2: One of our players likes to clear the puck toward the door of the opposing team on their line change. If the puck touches one of their players, while players are waiting to get off the ice while players are getting on, the puck is considered "played" with too-many-men-on-the-ice. With traffic jams at the door, there's a better chance of drawing a penalty.

In beginner - intermediate levels of play how important is this, and how do you practice it without falling on your ass in the middle of a game...

I ask as a newbie; I just started skating and playing hockey 4 months ago. I'm get around pretty decently on my skates, but I've never hopped over the boards (I'm kinda afraid I'll fall and hurt myself if I try). With my league team, only 1 or 2 guys do; everyone else uses the doors.

canuck88

Jan 17, 2014
I'm 37, and have my first beginner league game tomorrow! I played a lot of road and ball hockey, so I'm sure I'll be able to handle the puck but my skating is still pretty weak. I feel like tomorrow is Christmas - so excited!

canuck88

Jan 17, 2014
PS - this forum has been so amazing for giving me the confidence to give hockey a go!

Last edited:

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I'm 48 and can't decide if this is a mid life crisis or the bucket list, but whatever, I'm doing it. I haven't skated for 35 years, and only played pond hockey as a kid. It's going to be a huge challenge for sure. I've started basic skating lessons to get my legs back under me. The first one was super shaky, but I've been hitting public skates 3 times a week and on the second lesson last night a few things clicked. I can skate front/back and stop (well on one side anyways) and started crossovers last night. Learning my edges was key, and getting muscles in my feet and ankles working that weren't used to it. Skating lessons are for 9 weeks, I hope to have developed a decent base by then (along with at least 3 public skates per week) then pretty much right after I start an Adult learn to Play program for 10 weeks. I've built a passing kit and have been playing in the garage on some basic puckhandling with a green biscuit. I can't wait!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad