Beginners: The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
At the moment, I'm rehabbing my pulled groin which I injured about five weeks ago. Hoping to get back on the ice soon. For now, the trainer at the gym told me to do stretches.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Been playing hockey for a year and a couple of months now and I'm just trying to take it to the next level. Been playing in the bottom two divisions of my men's league and the better team I'm on has some good players on it so I'm just trying to learn as much as I can from them (including my dad and grandpa haha).

MortUWary

Registered Loser
Jul 19, 2007
Been playing hockey for a year and a couple of months now and I'm just trying to take it to the next level. Been playing in the bottom two divisions of my men's league and the better team I'm on has some good players on it so I'm just trying to learn as much as I can from them (including my dad and grandpa haha).

Where do you play? I see that you're in NY (I'm in Westchester).

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
At the moment, I'm rehabbing my pulled groin which I injured about five weeks ago. Hoping to get back on the ice soon. For now, the trainer at the gym told me to do stretches.

I had a groin issue that lasted 4 years. I just found a great RMT who has been able to actually fix the issue in 3 one hour massage sessions.

I heard about using a RMT or SMT for groin pulls by reading beyond the crease by Martin Brodure. But I have to tell you that finding a good RMT that dosen't think you are asking for a tuggy when you say you need work on your groin is very hard work. Some will say "Oh I know exactly what you mean" then give you a back rub, flip you over and depending on you (Try to) start working on not exactly the groin.

It took me a year to find a real RMT who worked with sports injury's but I have to tell you that it has been worth the wait!

Okay with all the above said I know I have set myself up for jokes :sarcasm: but the info is good info and has worked to resolve the burning and pulling sensation in the knee and inside of my left thigh I had been dealing for 4 + years.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
You know what, guys? To heck with it.

xOR87.jpg

I'm going goalie.

Should have done this a long time ago...

(Apologies for the derail :laugh: )

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Awesome vid!! Gotta love Marty!

And don't worry, I've been playing goalie on dry ground for a bit, so I know it's pretty tough lol. It'll be even tougher on ice. It's just that I thought it would be a smart idea to 'learn the ropes' first by entering hockey as a skater, but all it's doing is sucking my soul. So I'm gonna do what I should have done two years ago, and go for it. The new skates (for better fit) that I was gonna get will have some cowling on 'em.

It'll be tough and heartbreaking and frustrating at times but I'll be doing what I wanted to do from the start. Can't wait for summer now!!

Last edited:

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Awesome vid!! Gotta love Marty!

And don't worry, I've been playing goalie on dry ground for a bit, so I know it's pretty tough lol. It'll be even tougher on ice. It's just that I thought it would be a smart idea to 'learn the ropes' first by entering hockey as a skater, but all it's doing is sucking my soul. So I'm gonna do what I should have done two years ago, and go for it. The new skates (for better fit) that I was gonna get will have some cowling on 'em.

It'll be tough and heartbreaking and frustrating at times but I'll be doing what I wanted to do from the start. Can't wait for summer now!!

As long as you know what you are in for I hope you have fun. One thing I did when I started to play shinny in net was tell everyone that I was there as a courtesy. (better than hitting the post, but only slightly better than hanging a teeshirt.)

Welcome to the club buddy.:D

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
"Better than hitting the post, but only slightly better than hanging a teeshirt." Hahaha that's gold!!

Also, I figured out part of the skate fit issues. The Supremes I have are too big in the heel for me, so I only get a lock when the rest of the skate is laced up too tight. Wonder which goalie skates would have a narrow heel and regular-wide middle foot with deep instep... I know there's tons of info in the Skate Buying Guide for player skates but do you think that would translate?

Anyway I'm in no rush regarding skates since I won't be getting them til June, so plenty of time to investigate!

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Have any of you kept a spare stick on the bench and, upon returning to it after a game of pickup, noticed that it had been used? This happened to me last week and annoyed me to no end. What's the protocol for something like that?

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
Is this the first time it happened to you? As long as it doesn't happen again, it's probably not worth getting riled up about... IMHO

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
"Better than hitting the post, but only slightly better than hanging a teeshirt." Hahaha that's gold!!

Also, I figured out part of the skate fit issues. The Supremes I have are too big in the heel for me, so I only get a lock when the rest of the skate is laced up too tight. Wonder which goalie skates would have a narrow heel and regular-wide middle foot with deep instep... I know there's tons of info in the Skate Buying Guide for player skates but do you think that would translate?

Anyway I'm in no rush regarding skates since I won't be getting them til June, so plenty of time to investigate!
Try Reebok or Supreme?

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I have player Supremes and they're giving me pain, remember? They're the right length, it's the heel that seems to be a problem, leading to pain in the middle part because I have to have them too tight or I won't have control. Do the goalie Supremes have a narrower heel?

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I have player Supremes and they're giving me pain, remember? They're the right length, it's the heel that seems to be a problem, leading to pain in the middle part because I have to have them too tight or I won't have control. Do the goalie Supremes have a narrower heel?

I changed to the RBK 4K 09 skate from the 08 Vapor XIX and I have the same issue as you with my feet being wide in the front and a narrow heel. I say I have duck feet. The RBKs have been great so far.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Have any of you kept a spare stick on the bench and, upon returning to it after a game of pickup, noticed that it had been used? This happened to me last week and annoyed me to no end. What's the protocol for something like that?

I've lent out my spare stick but never had it used without my permission. Unless someone grabbed it by accident, I've seen that a couple times (guys with similar sticks).

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Regarding the stick, yeah unless it happens again best to just let it go.

And Jarick, thanks for the recommendation but Grafs are just a tad out of budget... lol

ean

Nov 27, 2007
Using someone else's anything without permission in pickup is definitely a nono.

On a similar note, do not bring anything into the rink you would not miss if it were stolen. For me that includes wallet and cell phone, which stay in the car.

CPAir

Jul 31, 2011
Niagara Region
Using someone else's anything without permission in pickup is definitely a nono.

On a similar note, do not bring anything into the rink you would not miss if it were stolen. For me that includes wallet and cell phone, which stay in the car.

Are thefts pretty common? Do people know others who have had stuff outta their bag, wallet, phone solen a lot? I was concerned about this.

mgilmartin

Dec 19, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I've been skating 2-3 times per week since October. I'm finally getting on the ice with my new stick today for the stick-and-puck session at the local rink. Been looking forward to this for a long time.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I've been skating 2-3 times per week since October. I'm finally getting on the ice with my new stick today for the stick-and-puck session at the local rink. Been looking forward to this for a long time.

I agree, there's just something about that first time you skate with a stick. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad