Beginners: The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Took another plunge in my fledging hockey career last night. A buddy of mine and I signed up for an adult instructional league kicking off in January. Hopefully they don't mind the fact that I skipped the Learn to Skate/Play programs.

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Went to stick time last night. It was my first experience with that after 2 drop in sessions. The most frustrating thing is the kids there holding near full-on practices and skating around everywhere with no regard, but that comes with the territory of them being kids I suppose. Like others have mentioned, I felt like parents were holding me responsible for the safety of their children. I didn't harm anyone, but let's be honest, it's far easier for Little Johnny Speedster to avoid me then it is for me to avoid him. Also, I'm 6'4" without skates, so it's not like I'm sneaking up on anyone.

I can already notice improvements in my passing and stick handling. Skating I lack confidence in, and not knowing really how to stop or skate backwards, I'm very hesitant to try. I'd like to do learn to skate, but at this point after buying equipment and signing up for i-league cost is becoming a bit prohibitive.

hilega

Dec 6, 2012
400sCapsShootTwice
I went to the 6am stick time at the TSC this morning. There were about 12 of the regulars including one goalie, in addition to a mom/dad/kid private lesson and one of my LTP classmates. I worked on stick handling, passing and skating with my classmate and some shooting. The regulars seem to have a routine practice that they run culminating in 3v3 with a goalie. I stayed out of their way as many were very highly skilled. I really need to work on my conditioning, upper hand arm strength, and work on strengthening my back. It was a god time. May go back to watch the Kings practice at 1030.

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I went to the 6am stick time at the TSC this morning. There were about 12 of the regulars including one goalie, in addition to a mom/dad/kid private lesson and one of my LTP classmates. I worked on stick handling, passing and skating with my classmate and some shooting. The regulars seem to have a routine practice that they run culminating in 3v3 with a goalie. I stayed out of their way as many were very highly skilled. I really need to work on my conditioning, upper hand arm strength, and work on strengthening my back. It was a god time. May go back to watch the Kings practice at 1030.

I work across the street from the Stars practice facility. Having tried this sport now, it really makes you appreciate just how skilled they are. Amazing. Sounds like your stick time went well too, I tried to take the same approach and stay out of people's way. One thing I've noticed, at least around here, is typically the hockey community is very friendly and welcoming to the beginners. At the two drop in sessions I've gone, others were really just happy I was there so they had more people. It really makes a difference for a beginner to be made welcome.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I haven't played competive hockey in six years, and am about to begin on December 2nd a 3 month high school season. I don't think I know what I am getting myself into.

I went public skating to see how well I could skate and I was as good as I was 6 years,I can stop, skate backwards, cross over, accelerate and have good balance. My skating should be fine but I am not sure how well my legs will hold up in the first couple of weeks. I have been playing pick up roller hockey games every Sunday for the past year and have gone on 30 mile bike rides in the past year so my statima should be OK. I am honestly worried about the physical game the most, I am a sophomore so hopefully I make the JV team instead of Varsity that way I don't get completely dominated by people 40 pounds bigger than me.

But, I have heard some stories that the JV team has kids on it that have zero hockey IQ, can't stop, can't skate backwards, can barely skate, which would probably pencil me in on the varsity team, even though I am not even close to that caliber of a player.

Last edited:

hilega

Dec 6, 2012
400sCapsShootTwice
Ltp

Went to my LTP class tonight. Did a lot of shooting, some one on one and our instructor put us through some sprints and goal pushes/pulls. I ate it pretty hard on a score 1v1... the Reebok 5k pants don't have a lot of padding in the tailbone. Fun class. Instructor said I need to get in a league, so that was encouraging. I really need to get my fitness up. My one timers and slappers were terrible as well. Love this game!

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
Today I went to a quiet rink in another town and spent the entire time skating clockwise, stopping on my weak foot and skating backwards 50% of the time. Gonna be able to do that for 1hr-plus every week. The manager said i could take my stick on the ice when there's no-one else on too :)

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
First time player here (other than a 2 year stint of instructional league from age 7-8). Joined the Never Ever League (essentially a LTP program here in Rochester) 10 weeks ago which is wrapping up tomorrow. I've definitely made a huge improvement, I feel pretty comfortable on the ice now. My biggest struggles right now are stopping with my left foot forward, slap shots, and pretty much anything to do in the neutral zone.

I've gotten into a few pick up games at skate and shoot and some scrimmages. I played my first real game last Saturday. One of the teams in the entry level league needed some skaters for a game in Batavia (halfway between Rochester and Buffalo). I knew things were going to go great during warmups when one of my shots hit the crossbar, went up and then dropped and hit me in the shoulder. The game went pretty well, didn't make big mistakes other than a terrible giveaway in my own zone. My passing wasn't perfect but most of them were pretty good. I had a couple chances to score but I put them all wide of the net. My line had a great shift in the third period where we kept it in their zone almost the whole shift. I parked in front of the goalie and could hear him yelling "WHERE'S THE PUCK". We lost the game 5-4 but we all played pretty well and had a few tell me I played really well for my first game.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
One thing I want to add that I've noticed more and more lately is that you should never get down on yourself in a way that takes you out of the play. By this I mean, if you miss a pass or shot or one-timer, keep playing. Forget about it and keep trying. If you throw your hands up or look towards the sky in frustration, you may miss making a play that hard work or staying with it may account for. But as soon as you want to harp on yourself for missing things even the best of players you, you completely take away the opportunity for the follow-up. Maybe you even put your head down and back-check and get a takeaway creating another chance.

In short, just keep playing.

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
One thing I want to add that I've noticed more and more lately is that you should never get down on yourself in a way that takes you out of the play. By this I mean, if you miss a pass or shot or one-timer, keep playing. Forget about it and keep trying. If you throw your hands up or look towards the sky in frustration, you may miss making a play that hard work or staying with it may account for. But as soon as you want to harp on yourself for missing things even the best of players you, you completely take away the opportunity for the follow-up. Maybe you even put your head down and back-check and get a takeaway creating another chance.

In short, just keep playing.

This is a good point. I'm quick to get down on myself and feel self-conscious when I make mistakes but watch any NHL game and no matter the talent, every shift for a player involves failure: On the boards, missed passes, overskating a puck, flubbing shots, failed backchecks.

Definitely something I work on.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
...did some in door shooting with the first stick I've ever bought that has the correct (i.e. much lower than I had before) flex! What a difference!!! Now I see how everyone's shot is so hard!

hilega

Dec 6, 2012
400sCapsShootTwice
Yesterday I went to a make up LTP class. We had a different instructor that focused almost completely on skating. The philosophy change was refreshing! We started out by placing our sticks on the ice and skating forwards and backwards crossovers in a figure eight by stepping over our stick. Great drill. We then moved on to skating a slalom pattern around everyone's sticks keeping the skates on the ice and transferring weight to push off with the outside skate. Next we skated straight forward stepping over the sticks alternating feet (it was not the day to bring my brand new ccm cs stick, but it survived). From there we went to skating tight circles around our stick facing one direction to practice pivots both counterclockwise and clockwise. Then we moved on to stick handling. We started stationary back and forth and then with our eyes closed to get the feel of the puck. Next we stick handled while skating forward and backward around our stationary partner and around their stick, skates, etc. Finally we skated with the puck up and down the ice moving it only with our skates and then with our stick and skates. It was much more of a technical skating and stick handling session than the usual passing, shooting, 1v1 game situation training that we have been practicing. I really enjoyed it. Going to class number six tonight.

Oh and I walked right past Dustin Brown in the TSC and got to see the Islander's morning skate on the ice sheet right next to mine. LA has to have the most fan accessible team in the NHL.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Hey fellas, just a quick question -

Say I'm on the blue line, and stationary, and a teammate passes me the puck, but its out of my reach (for two hands). I can catch the pass one handed, if I stretch out. My question is, what is the best method to do this? Every time this seems to happen, the puck goes under my stick. Should I put more pressure on my stick? Should I cup the puck? Or should I angle my blade towards the sky? Thanks in advance. I would find out for myself, but I haven't been on the ice in a while, and don't have the means to currently.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
Today I went to a quiet rink in another town and spent the entire time skating clockwise, stopping on my weak foot and skating backwards 50% of the time. Gonna be able to do that for 1hr-plus every week. The manager said i could take my stick on the ice when there's no-one else on too :)

Nothing better than a having a clean sheet of ice to yourself. There is a rink about 30 mins. away from here where it is like that, they have daily public skate with usually a few people at the most. My problem is finding the motivation to get up in time and eat right beforehand. I always feel like I'd love to play rec league but I'm just not in shape and have a hard time getting motivated in this cold, dreary weather. First world problems I guess...

ccarrigan

May 2, 2013
Hey fellas, just a quick question -

Say I'm on the blue line, and stationary, and a teammate passes me the puck, but its out of my reach (for two hands). I can catch the pass one handed, if I stretch out. My question is, what is the best method to do this? Every time this seems to happen, the puck goes under my stick. Should I put more pressure on my stick? Should I cup the puck? Or should I angle my blade towards the sky? Thanks in advance. I would find out for myself, but I haven't been on the ice in a while, and don't have the means to currently.

Which blue line? But in both situations, if it's close enough to one hand touch you would be best off skating to it. If that isn't possible, one hand is fine, but it depends on the speed of the pass and where the defense is. If it's a fast pass and the D is close, angle open to tip it up and past them. If it's slow, cup towards you and skate in to the zone.

ThisAintBaseball

Nov 12, 2011
Renton, WA
Noobs Please Learn This Hockey "Skill"

In your hockey career, please learn to jump the boards when getting on the ice for a line change, and use the door when leaving the ice.

Traffic jams at the door do two things:

1. Obviously slow down the line change, and

2. Put you at risk for a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty.

Point #1: I hate it when one of our guys is screaming to get clear of the door so he can get on the ice. Use the boards!

Point #2: One of our players likes to clear the puck toward the door of the opposing team on their line change. If the puck touches one of their players, while players are waiting to get off the ice while players are getting on, the puck is considered "played" with too-many-men-on-the-ice. With traffic jams at the door, there's a better chance of drawing a penalty.

ggro

Sep 23, 2010
What's the best way to be useful when you're the worst player in a scrimmage session?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Type of Scrimmage

What's the best way to be useful when you're the worst player in a scrimmage session?

Two types of scrimmages.

Informal - positions/sides are constantly juggled to balance things. Work on your skating and puckhandling in context. Offensive aspects of the game and defensive aspects of the game as opportunities arise.

Structured - assigned position and team. Skaters get bench rest time. Work on your skating and puckhandling but use the rest time to review, observe and visualize.

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
We have scrimmages at the end of our learn to play. What I've been doing is taking on a D role and recruiting someone to join me. It at least starts to get you in the right places and gives the team some chance of keeping goals out. Go away and research the roles of a position then start playing it and work at getting others to do likewise.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Hello guys,

I have been a Left Wing for about 99% of my career, but my coach wants me to play Defense. I'm not going to say no, so I have been trying it out. I haven't played it in a game situation yet, but I like it. I haven't played defense since my first game in Mites, and that was a disaster (I made the switch to LW after that). After that, in Mites and Squirts I played D on the PP sometimes but was of course a LW. Now, my 1st year playing HS hockey, I am playing D again. I am tall (5'10") but have no muscle mass :laugh: , which makes it hard for me to knock guys down. I know the position well, but I am skeptical about my ability to play it in a game situation. I am slow skater (thanks to the long layoff) and pretty timid out there (I am always afraid too get hit for some reason). My strengths are playmaking and shooting the puck (wrist shots). We'll see how it goes, does anyone have any advice.

It looks like I am going to be on the 1st pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad