The Hockey News - Top 50 players

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Norris trophy winner is 20 spots below Burns, 16 spots below Jones, and 11 below Karlsson. Ok.

John Carlson has been top 5 in Norris and end of season all star team voting the past two seasons. He is at 7th among defense on that list. Not sexy enough though

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You came in to this thread and complained that your team's guy was not ranked high enough. I came into this thread to explain to you why he was ranked where he was, and now I am the bitter one?
Nah it's mostly your tired, typical anti-Flames posts throughout the year.

Here it is spelled out for you:

- Gio was trending towards a Norris in 2015 before an actual fluke injury took him out of the running. He then sacrificed his point totals for the next three seasons to babysit Dougie Hamilton and play in a suffocating system for a guy who might be in the running for worst Flames coach of all time. Will his numbers take a hit next season? Probably. But Giordano has been a top Dman in this league for years.

- Karlsson wasn't even on the same planet as Giordano defensively this season and was getting rinsed on an almost game-by-game basis in the post-season.

- Seth Jones is not better than Giordano, nor has he ever been. Laughable to put him 15 spots up.

- Brent Burns is the only guy who you could put above Gio but a full 20 spots is out of touch with reality after this past season

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Honest question, but why does Roman Josi rate so highly not only on this list, but on HF as well? On this list, he's ahead of the reigning Norris trophy winner (Giordano), as well as guys like Doughty, Pietrangelo, Carlson, Rielly and Letang. And while not apples to apples, he's also ahead of guys like Hall, Giroux, Rantanen, and Eichel.

What am I missing? He's rated as the 4th best defenseman in hockey after Hedman, Burns, and Karlsson!

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Malkin 24th going into next season is reasonable given his injury history and horrible 5 on 5 play last year.

Kane sure should be higher and ROR looks better in the 30 to 50 range.

Mathews in the top 10 has an arguement but not a strong one.
To me it seems like in every range of 10 players (1-10, 10-20, etc.), there are a couple of players who shouldn't be there. Overall to me it's a baaaad list

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Draisaitl - not gonna get into it. He's a passenger, and completely incapable on his own.
Malkin - He was still over a point per game this year. If it's just a down year, he's top 10 still. If he's actually lost a step, that's still a high 80s pace and he's still better than where they ranked him.
Giroux - 102 points, 85 points, good two way player. You don't think that should be much higher? Interesting, what's your rationale?
Eichel - similar pace to Malkin, does it on his own, and young and improving. Why so low?

Why not? You 'get into it' in every other thread.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
There’s an argument to be made that ROR might not even be a top 50 player...let alone 10 :laugh:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Why not? You 'get into it' in every other thread.
Because im tired of oiler fans arguing about draisaitl. Theyre jealous that the leafs have an elite team, and their organization is such a mess that they have nothing else than mcdavid, so they cling to the idea that they arent a team with nothing more than a single generational player.

Its not worth it. The season will begin again, and things like standings, and wins, will be the focus again, for those of us that it will matter for.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I've never seen a list like this where in which all the creator got right was #1.

f*** this is a terrible list.

Reactions: Vikke

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
People get too worked up. These guys move up and down every year. Where was Hall last year? If you got 50 different people you would get 50 different rankings after Mcdavid

Reactions: wetcoast

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
Everyone is gonna have a different list and disagree with it. I dont know why people get worked up over it. Jesus go smoke a joint

Everyone's list will be different, however they are generally the same save a few players and a few spots. This list is absolute garbage, there are several blatant errors but Mark Stone being the 16th best player in the NHL is an absolute disgrace.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
People get too worked up. These guys move up and down every year. Where was Hall last year? If you got 50 different people you would get 50 different rankings after Mcdavid

Pretty much this but people can get really self righteous in the summer I guess.

I mean it's fair to disagree but some doth protest too much at times.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Kucherov is overrated.

Bure and Mogilney would do the same numbers as him in that team in today’s NHL.

Change my mind.

Well, bure and Mogilny were 2 of the best Russians of the past 30 years too, so it's not like that is a bad thing. It's not like you said valeri bure or something...

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Toews not on the list, he is not overrated anymore.

65 to 70 points Toews and a cup get a spot 2nd to Crosby

Vs

81 points and no cup and doesn't get a spot in the top 50

I haven't seen toews much the last couple seasons, but around the turn of the last decade when the canucks would play Chicago in the playoffs, toews was a pretty devastating player. He was absolutely all over the ice. I'd say he was easily amongst the top 5 forwards I didn't want to face at that point in time. There were multiple great players on those Chicago teams back then when they were winning cups, but toews, imo, was the best. Kane has clearly taken that mantle nowadays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad