The Hockey News - Top 50 players

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Big LOL at Kane 12th, Malkin 25th and Price 47th.

At this point it seems like they’re making these rankings only to create controversy and make people talk.

Im almost certain that is the case. Clickbait is where the revenue is at.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I don't hate it, but RoR definitely stands out to me as well. Surprised how high Barzal is but consider me tickled.

3rd in scoring this decade
3 top 3 finishes in scoring...including 2nd place just 1 year ago
3 top 4 finishes in Hart voting....including just 1 year ago

Giroux will go down as one of the most under rated.

Don't forget he's 1st overall in the underrated thread mentions by Flyers fans.

Its mostly not bad but there are a few things that stick way out.

O rielly way too high. 1
Pastrnak too high 2
Draisaitl way too high 3
Carey price shouldnt even be on the list given recent seasons. 4
Malkin wayyyyy too low 5
John gibson, giroux, and eichel way too low 6

I struggle with where to put serbob.

1 - Agreed
2 - Agreed
3 - Disagree
4 - Agree
5 - Disagree, he's lost a step or 3
6 - Agree, disagree, disagree

bruins2012

Aug 26, 2018
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Dont need to change your mind. Nobody scored more points than him in over 20 years and his name was Mario Lemieux. He just swept all the awards. I think that speaks for itself.

I can get some people wanting Kucherov at #3 instead of 2 for example - but his placement is the least worrying thing about this list.

True, not worrying, just sayin.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
This is all pretty obvious. This list has now had X thousand clicks whereas if it was pretty good they'd only get X hundred clicks.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
THN really doesn't seem to know.. much of anything about hockey at this point. It's pretty wild.

I almost read it for the absurdity of it at this point.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Toews not on the list, he is not overrated anymore.

65 to 70 points Toews and a cup get a spot 2nd to Crosby

Vs

81 points and no cup and doesn't get a spot in the top 50

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Toews not on the list, he is not overrated anymore.

65 to 70 points Toews and a cup get a spot 2nd to Crosby

Vs

81 points and no cup and doesn't get a spot in the top 50
Almost like team awards are overrated when evaluating individuals

Reactions: Omark

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The O'Reilly hype train is just outta control at this point. Also Claude Giroux's a top-20 player in the league, period.

Because he is, plain and simple. What has Tavares accomplished that he hasn't? Neither has a major award or big postseason success, and Giroux has scored more total points with similar career PPG (and Giroux's is higher over the last decade--basically, since his rookie season). What does Panarin do that Giroux doesn't? He scores less and is the inferior two-way player. If this list ostensibly values that aspect--ROR's placement--then, umm...

But those guys unblinkingly get thrown high on theses lists, even though Giroux is arguably better than either or both of them. But he wasn't a big-name UFA at any point, so he's kinda been out of the news in that sense.

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I don't hate it, but RoR definitely stands out to me as well. Surprised how high Barzal is but consider me tickled.

1 - Agreed
2 - Agreed
3 - Disagree
4 - Agree
5 - Disagree, he's lost a step or 3
6 - Agree, disagree, disagree

Draisaitl - not gonna get into it. He's a passenger, and completely incapable on his own.
Malkin - He was still over a point per game this year. If it's just a down year, he's top 10 still. If he's actually lost a step, that's still a high 80s pace and he's still better than where they ranked him.
Giroux - 102 points, 85 points, good two way player. You don't think that should be much higher? Interesting, what's your rationale?
Eichel - similar pace to Malkin, does it on his own, and young and improving. Why so low?

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Interesting that 33 of 50 (quick count) didn't even make it to playoffs or past first round of playoffs.
75% of teams don't make it past round 1. 75% of 50 is 37.5. So slightly better than random. Not sure if that's surprising. Look at individual awards. How many went to Blues and Bruins? Correlation not there. Elegant testimony to hockey being a team sport.

Reactions: bl02

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Patrick Kane at #12, Malkin at #25, Price at #46? I know every list has its own criteria but yeah those rankings jump out as being particularly bad.

Reactions: VoladorJr

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Its mostly not bad but there are a few things that stick way out.

O rielly way too high.
Pastrnak too high
Draisaitl way too high
Carey price shouldnt even be on the list given recent seasons.
Malkin wayyyyy too low
John gibson, giroux, and eichel way too low

I struggle with where to put serbob.

Well, HFBoards just voted him the second best goalie :yo:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Well, HFBoards just voted him the second best goalie :yo:

that's nice, I would emphatically disagree. I don't think he's anywhere close. You also have to take voting here with a grain of salt, especially in refernece to Habs players. they tend to storm votes and vote up their own. Look at the prospect voting, nearly every Habs prospect went higher than most publications placed him. Gibson, Vasilevsky (vezina finalist 2 years running), Andersen, Rinne won the Vezina 2 years ago and finished ahead of him in voting last year. Holtby? How does he rank ahead of these guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad