The History of the Boston Bruins

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
If HF had existed in 1971 - How do you think the board would have reacted to losing a Bruins telecast to a moon launch ( BTW Bobby scored his 100th goal that day - lost forever )

View attachment 190563

In addition to being a Bruins fanatic I'm also a space freak so either way I would have been good with it. Actually a slight edge to the launch- there were far fewer of them than hockey games!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-3-3_18-38-12-png.195107

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

aguineapig

On way back home from doctor, they're talking B's on radio, DJ "anyone growing up in 70's will recognize this song, the Bruins theme song "The Nutrocker" from Emerson, Lake & Palmer some electronic abomination! Whatever umbrage is i took it and tore around the streets looking for a phone booth to correct him. After that failure i came home and listened to The Ventures and "Nutty" . Hang on Sloopy THAT'S THE REAL MCCOY! Bomp,bomp bass,rat-a-tat drums,tinge of keyboard and that twang surf guitar! Now to find me a phone booth!

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH

Look at how small goalies look compared to today- wow!

I miss hearing this song, after all these years. The NESN one is meh.

Seeing Dallas Smith brings back comical moments for me. As a kid, I used to confuse him and Rick Smith- I don't know why, because they look nothing alike. :laugh:

Fenway, you know what would make this thread complete? Peter the Puck! I never knew that Mickey Dolenz of The Monkees was one of the voices for Peter the Puck. He was my favorite Monkee. :Dhttps://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/06/08/nhl-mascot-peter-puck-has-left-rink/ix7mlHJHpHmRM6mZzLgqaP/story.html

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
On way back home from doctor, they're talking B's on radio, DJ "anyone growing up in 70's will recognize this song, the Bruins theme song "The Nutrocker" from Emerson, Lake & Palmer some electronic abomination! Whatever umbrage is i took it and tore around the streets looking for a phone booth to correct him. After that failure i came home and listened to The Ventures and "Nutty" . Hang on Sloopy THAT'S THE REAL MCCOY! Bomp,bomp bass,rat-a-tat drums,tinge of keyboard and that twang surf guitar! Now to find me a phone booth!
You rock!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I miss hearing this song, after all these years. The NESN one is meh.

That TV38 theme song stuck in our brains and proof positive for me came a few years ago when I played a few seconds of it to my best friend in college who was born in Buffalo and now is a successful agent in LA. In THREE SECONDS he screamed BRUINS.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
http://bostonsportsextra.com/boston-bruins/2019/06/boston-bruins-history-the-kraut-line-part-1
Kraut-Line-Leaning.jpg

BOSTON BRUINS HISTORY: THE KRAUT LINE

From 1937 to 1947 one of the most dominant lines in hockey belonged to the Boston Bruins. Left Winger Woody Dumart, Center Milt Schmidt (who’s well known as The Ultimate Bruin), and Right Winger Bobby Bauer made up what was originally named the “Sauerkraut Line” for their German heritage. The nickname was quickly shortened to “The Kraut Line”.

Milt Schmidt later recollected, “There are several reasons why we had success that year. The three of us roomed together in Brookline, Massachusetts. We had one big room so that we were always together. After practices we discussed things we should work on. After a game we’d say, ‘Well we did this wrong or did that wrong.’ There was no nightlife or anything like that. We really worked at it and I think that had more to do with the success of our line than anything else. To finish one-two-three… I don’t know of any other line that did that before us and we were quite proud of the fact. Hard work. That was it.”

Kraut-Line-Jumping.jpg

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
https://thehockeywriters.com/boston-bruins-100-point-seasons/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheHockeyWriters+(The+Hockey+Writers)

Boston Bruins With 100-Point Seasons
The Boston Bruins are one of the NHL’s oldest franchises. As such, the team has seen its fair share of legends pass through the city through multiple generations that will forever be cemented in history among the best of their time.

While there were many great athletes who have played for the Bruins, only a select few of the very best to have donned the Spoked-B on their chest managed to reach the always-impressive 100-point mark in a single season.

Reactions: Strafer

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@BMC

During the 1954-55 season, the Bruins started home games at 9 PM.

The reason was simple - they could NOT compete against TV which by then most people had a set. Bruins home games were usually on Sunday and Thursday nights - They could not compete against Jack Benny, Ed Sullivan and Groucho Marx.

85147007_2670047416436210_3206675587384999936_o.png

Reactions: mg08

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
@BMC

During the 1954-55 season, the Bruins started home games at 9 PM.

The reason was simple - they could NOT compete against TV which by then most people had a set. Bruins home games were usually on Sunday and Thursday nights - They could not compete against Jack Benny, Ed Sullivan and Groucho Marx.

85147007_2670047416436210_3206675587384999936_o.png

Good thing I wasn't alive back then I would have missed out :nod:

My parents told me about the early days of TV- the shows were all done live, there was no videotape back then. I'm sure it made for some really interesting bloopers :laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good thing I wasn't alive back then I would have missed out :nod:

My parents told me about the early days of TV- the shows were all done live, there was no videotape back then. I'm sure it made for some really interesting bloopers :laugh:

There were 2 big exceptions - CBS wanted Lucy to do her show live from New York and Desi Arnaz fought for California and in the end, Desi had to pay the extra cost of filming but in return, CBS gave him the rights to reruns which the network thought were worthless - :oops::rolleyes:

Over at NBC the network decided to film Groucho's quiz show because they were scared to death of putting him on live :laugh:

Luckily the filmed show survived - barely

The Day My Grandfather Groucho and I Saved ‘You Bet Your Life’

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad