The History of the Boston Bruins

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Game was played on 12/30 and was seen on tape delay on 12/31

People may have been confused as Fred Cusick did the Channel 2 game with Bud Collins and he was also live on Channel 56 doing the Bruins from Detroit

View attachment 514095

That makes sense as I thought I watched it over my uncles house in Cambridge on New Years Eve.

I was in 6th grade growing up in Belmont at the time
and remember Wilbur Wood's younger brother Jimmy playing and Dave Crisafulli the back up goalie for BU were both ex Marauders.

Thanks for the confirmation as it was eons ago but still remember there was some hype for that game.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for the confirmation as it was eons ago but still remember there was some hype for that game.

upload_2022-3-9_15-29-5.png

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I can't even begin to imagine the crazy bounces off of the chain link above the boards.

Reactions: BMC

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I can't even begin to imagine the crazy bounces off of the chain link above the boards.
I played in a rink with chicken wire back in the early 80's. Puck hit the wire it was out of play, in a league with a running time clock half the game was faceoffs.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I played in a rink with chicken wire back in the early 80's. Puck hit the wire it was out of play, in a league with a running time clock half the game was faceoffs.

Wow -- was that the rule in the NHL when they played with them?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Wow -- was that the rule in the NHL when they played with them?
Can't remember, my dad told my about the Providence Reds old rink having chicken wire but never mentioned about out of play faceoffs if it hit the wire. The league I was in did have that rule, but it was a bantam league so it may well have been different.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Can't remember, my dad told my about the Providence Reds old rink having chicken wire but never mentioned about out of play faceoffs if it hit the wire. The league I was in did have that rule, but it was a bantam league so it may well have been different.

Providence/Rhode Island Reds. my grandfather was a huge fan, used to go to all the home games, yes with the chicken wire keeping the puck out of the stands. I inherited his love for the game.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I was watching NESN’s The History of The Boston Bruins and they showed Brad Park’s OT goal vs. Buffalo in 1982 Or 83.

I always had it in my head that for some reason that that game was played on a weekday afternoon….but the audio has Fred Cusick saying , “Parks second goal of the night”.

Seems I was wrong about that game being played in the afternoon, but I’m wondering if there was a playoff game played on a weekday afternoon at all or if I‘m remembering wrong?

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I was watching NESN’s The History of The Boston Bruins and they showed Brad Park’s OT goal vs. Buffalo in 1982 Or 83.

I always had it in my head that for some reason that that game was played on a weekday afternoon….but the audio has Fred Cusick saying , “Parks second goal of the night”.

Seems I was wrong about that game being played in the afternoon, but I’m wondering if there was a playoff game played on a weekday afternoon at all or if I‘m remembering wrong?
I go back to 77 and can't remember one.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Game 2 of the 1983 Adams Final was indeed held on a Friday afternoon.

Scotty Bowman protested to the NHL that the game was supposed to be on Friday and the NHL caved in. The Celtics were booked for Friday night.

1647232780483.png

1647232978480.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I agree with all your points but number 5. I'm a little familiar with Dave Shea and his kids so I may be a little biased but I thought he was a decent broadcaster in a booth where he wasn't wanted. He does the readings at church some Sundays and he is excellent in that capacity. Sells insurance on the South Shore now,I know there's a joke in there!
No problem with Dave Shea at that time, nor RR, at that time.

Times change. Good luck to both, who seemed like gentlemen to me.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I heard he was fired from the Washington Nationals for being lazy,that's a serious character condemnation.

Dave was a last-second hire by the Nationals in 2005 when the Expos announcers could not get visas. Dave was hurting because there was no hockey and it just didn't work out for him in DC.

The truth is for baseball he was terrible and may well have been the worst MLB announcer since the Yankees hired an unknown in 1970

Yes that Bob Gamere

Gamere almost became the Bruins radio announcer in 1981 when WPLM became the flagship and didn't want to pay Bob Wilson. WPLM was a cheap outfit and it was almost impossible to get the Bruins on the radio in Boston.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Dave was a last-second hire by the Nationals in 2005 when the Expos announcers could not get visas. Dave was hurting because there was no hockey and it just didn't work out for him in DC.

The truth is for baseball he was terrible and may well have been the worst MLB announcer since the Yankees hired an unknown in 1970

Yes that Bob Gamere

Gamere almost became the Bruins radio announcer in 1981 when WPLM became the flagship and didn't want to pay Bob Wilson. WPLM was a cheap outfit and it was almost impossible to get the Bruins on the radio in Boston.

A co-worker of mine back in the day called Dave Shea to beg him for tickets to a game at the old Garden (he actually set her up with a couple IIRC). He talked with her for a while and told her that hockey wasn't his "game" and that he liked doing baseball (or was it football) but couldn't get work IIRC. She said that he was really nice to her. She was a whiney middle-aged woman that few people in that workplace liked so I was amazed that he could stand talking to her for more than a minute or two. She said that they talked for a while.
I loved Bob Wilson and listened to the games on 'BZ all the time. I admit though that Gamere would've been interesting in a weird way but never could've/would've come close to filling Wilson's or Cusick's shoes.

Last edited:

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Game 7 was a night game. I remember it distinctly because my sister made her confirmation that night, and I was doing my best to silently beg the priests to move the festivities along. There was a game 7 in progress, for the love of God!!

We had a small crowd back to the house and watched the OT, and went nuts when Park scored in the OT. I believe Sauve was the goalie and he was way out of position, I can still see the two defensemen in front of the net, risking their lives with Park stepping into the slapper.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Yes that Bob Gamere

I remember WPLM. Hated it because I was allowed to listen to the second period after going to bed. I remember rigging up an antenna extension with tin foil that reached to my bedroom window to try to get the signal in better.

Reactions: Fenway and sarge88

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I remember WPLM. Hated it because I was allowed to listen to the second period after going to bed. I remember rigging up an antenna extension with tin foil that reached to my bedroom window to try to get the signal in better.
They added an AM station in Waltham WDLW (1330 AM) - today WRCA Watertown

1647355299619.png

WPLM-FM was so cheap that even for home games they used a regular telco line ( think phone call ) for home games and it sounded awful.

In that era, the Bruins were run by a Jacobs loyalist by the name of Paul Mooney and even Sinden was terrified of him.

Mooney was named president of the Boston Bruins and Boston Garden on October 1, 1975 after the team and arena were purchased by Sportsystems.

During his tenure as president, he twice reached agreements with the Boston Celtics to remain at the Garden, led the effort against the NHL–WHA merger, worked on the Bruins' failed move to Salem, New Hampshire, fired longtime Garden organist John Kiley, and along with other members of Bruins management helped take care of Bruins' player Normand Leveille after he suffered a cerebral hemorrhage and fell into a coma.

On May 30, 1986, William D. Hassett, Jr. was named chairman and chief executive officer of the Boston Bruins and the Boston Garden. Although Mooney retained his positions, he now answered to Hassett. On March 24, 1987 Mooney was fired and replaced by Hassett as Bruins president and Lawrence Moulter as Garden president.

While working for the Bruins and the Garden, Mooney also owned part of the Campbell Sports Network, a Plymouth, Massachusetts-based radio network that owned the rights to Boston Red Sox games from 1983 to 1989.

Mooney was also a member Boston Athletic Association's board of directors. He was credited by sportswriter Will McDonough with helping bring the Boston Marathon back to prominence

Mooney was a thug and finally, Papa Jacobs had to fire him but not before setting him with a job with the Sabres.

Mooney conceived NESN along with Buddy LeRoux from the Red Sox. EVERY other RSN in the US has changed hands since the 1980s but not NESN which is still owned by the Red Sox and Bruins.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I agree with all your points but number 5. I'm a little familiar with Dave Shea and his kids so I may be a little biased but I thought he was a decent broadcaster in a booth where he wasn't wanted. He does the readings at church some Sundays and he is excellent in that capacity. Sells insurance on the South Shore now,I know there's a joke in there!
I agree Dave Shea was problem for me. The guy we have now gets under my skin.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

That goal brings back some memories. Up here Hockey Night in Canada was showing whichever Canadian team was playing that night, and of course the only way to know how the Bruins were doing was when they updated the out of town scores.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I worked this game in a previous life :laugh: Getting the TV38 truck to Quebec was always 'fun' dealing with Northern Maine roads

Le Cosilee was an electric venue - Fred Cusick, Dave Shea and Sean McDonough call the action from 1986 - enjoy

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
I worked this game in a previous life :laugh: Getting the TV38 truck to Quebec was always 'fun' dealing with Northern Maine roads

Le Cosilee was an electric venue - Fred Cusick, Dave Shea and Sean McDonough call the action from 1986 - enjoy

That video sent me down a rabbit hole. This was a pretty good little look into the 86-87 team. My first year being a fan. Hard to express how obsessed I was. Anyway, this is like Behind the B's great-grandfather.

1986-87 Boston Bruins Official Video Yearbook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad