The History of the Boston Bruins

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Just a month to go before camp. If this is somehow not kosher, please delete post,

Perhaps my favorite line (Part 5 of 8), "People love a dirty uniform in Boston, in any sport."

QFT!

Enjoy, assuming our moderators, and the copywrite police, allow,

:handclap::):yo::nod:

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Just watched the whole thing again and I have a few observations:

1. Does Chelios have night terrors because of Cam Neely. It seems like Cam either plastered him with a huge hit or scored a goal (or 2) with Chelios draped over him or lying in his wake every time they played. Especially in big games.

2. At one point in the late 70's the Bruins wingers included: O'Reilly, Wensink, Cashman, Secord & Jonathan. I believe Blum may have played some games that year on defense as well. Think about that for a minute. They had about 5 of the 15 toughest guys in the league in the lineup every night. (Philly probably had 3 of their own).

3. I don't think the game will ever see a character like Wensink again. And that's a shame.

4. With all the modern technological advances, I fail to understand why they couldn't re-create the seating pattern of the old garden. Balcony row 1 in the old garden sat above probably row 10-12 of the loge. In the new Garden, it is probably above row 25 or so.

5. On a sour note, hearing Dave Shea doing some of those broadcasts reminds me of just how terrible he was. I mean an absolutely cringe inducing, embarrassingly inept broadcaster with no feel at all for the game or broadcasting in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Just watched the whole thing again and I have a few observations:

1. Does Chelios have night terrors because of Cam Neely. It seems like Cam either plastered him with a huge hit or scored a goal (or 2) with Chelios draped over him or lying in his wake every time they played. Especially in big games.

2. At one point in the late 70's the Bruins wingers included: O'Reilly, Wensink, Cashman, Secord & Jonathan. I believe Blum may have played some games that year on defense as well. Think about that for a minute. They had about 5 of the 15 toughest guys in the league in the lineup every night. (Philly probably had 3 of their own).

3. I don't think the game will ever see a character like Wensink again. And that's a shame.

4. With all the modern technological advances, I fail to understand why they couldn't re-create the seating pattern of the old garden. Balcony row 1 in the old garden sat above probably row 10-12 of the loge. In the new Garden, it is probably above row 25 or so.

5. On a sour note, hearing Dave Shea doing some of those broadcasts reminds me of just how terrible he was. I mean an absolutely cringe inducing, embarrassingly inept broadcaster with no feel at all for the game or broadcasting in general.

I agree with all your points but number 5. I'm a little familiar with Dave Shea and his kids so I may be a little biased but I thought he was a decent broadcaster in a booth where he wasn't wanted. He does the readings at church some Sundays and he is excellent in that capacity. Sells insurance on the South Shore now,I know there's a joke in there!

Reactions: GordonHowe

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I agree with all your points but number 5. I'm a little familiar with Dave Shea and his kids so I may be a little biased but I thought he was a decent broadcaster in a booth where he wasn't wanted. He does the readings at church some Sundays and he is excellent in that capacity. Sells insurance on the South Shore now,I know there's a joke in there!

I'm sure he's a good guy, just not a fan of his work.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Every summer it's the same.

When the dog days of August arrive, I pull out "The History of the Boston Bruins" and "Legends of Hockey," seasons one and two. Watched season one of the latter the past two nights. I love the lore of the game, the league, and its greatest players.

This exercise -- plus, perhaps, "City of Champions: The Best of Boston Sports," which came out before 2011, alas -- tides me over until September.

And as we all know, this September is going to be a very interesting one. :nod:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Every summer it's the same.

When the dog days of August arrive, I pull out "The History of the Boston Bruins" and "Legends of Hockey," seasons one and two. Watched season one of the latter the past two nights. I love the lore of the game, the league, and its greatest players.

This exercise -- plus, perhaps, "City of Champions: The Best of Boston Sports," which came out before 2011, alas -- tides me over until September.

And as we all know, this September is going to be a very interesting one. :nod:

After I watched this one, I watched the NHL Rivals episode about Pittsburgh and Philly. I totally forgot they came into the league at the same time. I would have bet anything that Philly was first. Either way it was a good episode. As tough as the B's teams were, the Flyers were right there with (or above them) for most of the past 30 years or so.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
After I watched this one, I watched the NHL Rivals episode about Pittsburgh and Philly. I totally forgot they came into the league at the same time. I would have bet anything that Philly was first. Either way it was a good episode. As tough as the B's teams were, the Flyers were right there with (or above them) for most of the past 30 years or so.

Yes, they both came into the league in the '67 expansion (along with LA, Minnisota and Oakland, this last morphing into the California Golden Seals before mercifully dying a quick death).

The Penguins were always terrible before tanking for Mario changed their fortunes. Interestingly, the Flyers were pushed around when they entered the league, particularly by teams like the B's. I believe Ed Snyder decided he'd seen enough of that and brought in players like Shultz, et. al.

If you're interested in The Philadelphia Story (lame joke haha), check the excellent HBO documentary, "The Broad Street Bullies,"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms68m8ZP528

I remember back in '75 or '76, when my family had season's tickets to the Wings. My brothers and I got into some kind of trouble and our punishment was not being able to go a Flyers game. :)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Yes, they both came into the league in the '67 expansion (along with LA, Minnisota and Oakland, this last morphing into the California Golden Seals before mercifully dying a quick death).

The Penguins were always terrible before tanking for Mario changed their fortunes. Interestingly, the Flyers were pushed around when they entered the league, particularly by teams like the B's. I believe Ed Snyder decided he'd seen enough of that and brought in players like Shultz, et. al.

If you're interested in The Philadelphia Story (lame joke haha), check the excellent HBO documentary, "The Broad Street Bullies,"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms68m8ZP528

I remember back in '75 or '76, when my family had season's tickets to the Wings. My brothers and I got into some kind of trouble and our punishment was not being able to go a Flyers game. :)

Thanks, I'll check it out. Unlike many here, I tend to root for the Flyers after the Bruins. Primarily because of 87, when they beat the Habs in the ECF and then played Edmonton (who I despised) in the finals.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Thanks, I'll check it out. Unlike many here, I tend to root for the Flyers after the Bruins. Primarily because of 87, when they beat the Habs in the ECF and then played Edmonton (who I despised) in the finals.

I don't hate the Flyers; I'd rather a team of thugs (which they were in the 70s, but with undeniable talent, too) than a pure skill club. I know, I'm a neanderthal.

That '87 run was pretty special. I always wanted someone to lay Gretzky out. You always hate the great ones when they're not on your team. I hated those late 70s MTL teams. They were so damn good! ;)

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
That was a much need and welcome break from CPA studying on a Saturday. If anyone needs to get pumped up for the season give that a look

ClassicB

Jul 3, 2006

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree to a point. I feel that JJ tossed aside alot of traditional things when it came to the Bruins moving into the FleetCenter. The uniforms were a big one for me. I felt the Bruins uniforms were untouchable (up to 1995). They are an Original Six team. Then you have the Bruins wearing a Winnie The Pooh jersey while playing Montreal, Chicago etc.... Seriously??

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Alternate subheads: "All Good Things..." / "Everything Old Is New Again."

This DVD was released just as the Bruins were beginning their latter day resurgence.

*** Well, it's 2015. "Finnegan, Begin Again."***

For the young guns, and us old ones, some history.

Realize I've posted this before. Please to indulge.

Enjoy,

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

lc6Y0qV.png

psKjJ0A.png

1941 The Globe thought a Red Sox/Braves exhibition game was bigger story :shakehead

HWxtQO0.png
k8mEorp.png

1970 - The Goal

WlOpZ53.png

kxmqzNW.png

254340_2051299354813_5121299_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Si Hopkins

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

lc6Y0qV.png

psKjJ0A.png

1941 The Globe thought a Red Sox/Braves exhibition game was bigger story :shakehead

HWxtQO0.png
k8mEorp.png

1970 - The Goal

WlOpZ53.png

kxmqzNW.png

254340_2051299354813_5121299_n.jpg

As I noted in the media thread, you are clearly one of, if not the, top B's archivists on The board.

The only sour note: CHB got the front page gig in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As I noted in the media thread, you are clearly one of, if not the, top B's archivists on The board.

The only sour note: CHB got the front page gig in 2011.

Thanks - it is a labor of love and I love passing on the history.

I often wonder would I have still cared about the Bruins if this had happened in 1981?
The only reason it didn't was dog racing in Salem was voted down by ONE vote in the NH Legislature.

Two of Boston's three remaining major league sports teams may leave within a year and a half if a plan to build a $52 million race track, sports arena, convention center and hotel complex 35 miles north of the city in Salem, N.H., is approved.

The Bruins have agreed to the move if voters in Salem accept the complex in a referendum March 10 and if New Hampshire officials agree to a $165 million financing and tax abatement package sought by the team's owner, Delaware North Companies.

The Celtics are planning to build an arena at the Suffolk Downs race track in nearby Revere, rather than accompany the hockey team to New Hampshire when the Bruins' crumbling 52-year-old Boston Garden is closed. Bruins officials say they hope to be in New Hampshire late next year.

Until the Revere arena is completed for the Celtics sometime in the mid-1980's, the team is considering a temporary move to Hartford, Providence, R.I., or Worcester, Mass.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/20/sports/boston-may-lose-2-pro-teams.html

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Thanks - it is a labor of love and I love passing on the history.

I often wonder would I have still cared about the Bruins if this had happened in 1981?
The only reason it didn't was dog racing in Salem was voted down by ONE vote in the NH Legislature.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/20/sports/boston-may-lose-2-pro-teams.html

Where do you find those front page images? I researched journalism projects using microfilm years ago; it seems like that's the only place they could be found.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad