The History of the Boston Bruins

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Released for now.

We need sticky space for some announcements.

Please bookmark this thread if anyone wants to add info/posts or revive it.

Thanks!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Here is what Clark Booth wrote after the Bruins won the Cup in 2011

http://www.dotnews.com/2011/who-knew-first-no-one-bruins

In the end what made it so grand and unforgettable was the simple fact that it all came barreling out of nowhere like a spectacular thunderstorm late on a hot summer day. It was totally unheralded. No one expected it. No one predicted it. And even as it was happening, no one believed it would lead to where it led. Great sporting moments are always best when they take you completely by surprise.

What made this adventure notably delicious was that it stretched over two full months – 9 weeks/63 days – building slowly, relentlessly, impossibly, and allowing us time to catch the rhythm of the thing and fall in step.

Like Ravel’s Bolero, it began with low and guttural notes that were almost morose, gradually climbing, note after note and beat after beat, steadily rising in tone with an ever more pounding intensity and surging every couple of days until at last a certain inevitability held sway and we realized we were headed for the brink and it became only a question of how hard we might land when the music came crashing to a close.

That’s the magic carpet ride the Bruins gave us this spring of 2011. It was what the Red Sox did in the fall of 2004 and the Patriots did in the winter of 2001 and the Celtics did in their first and most dashing caper way back in 1957. But for my money, it was most like what the Red Sox did in 1967: Like that team, these Bruins evolved painstakingly over a period of weeks, catching our fancy a precious win at a time while shaking off some brutal bouts with adversity and defying the conventional wisdom that insisted they weren’t that good and most of all because the whole happy madness came right out of the blue.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ticket to Bobby Orr's first game as a Bruin

71ozmY5cilL._SL1200_.jpg

Reactions: eightspokedb

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Ticket to Bobby Orr's first game as a Bruin

71ozmY5cilL._SL1200_.jpg

That's an anniversary of sorts.

I was at that game! Actually, I wasn't yet three years old, but around which time my Dad started sneaking me in to Detroit's old Olympia stadium. The first game I *recall*? A 2-2 tie in '69. Against... the Bruins.

The only Tigers game I went to with my Dad (who died when I was nine) was against the Red Sox. ;-/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
R.I.P. FLEMING MACKELL

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thestar/obituary.aspx?n=fleming-mackell&pid=176174882

In his thirteen year NHL career (3 with Toronto, 10 with Boston), he won two Stanley Cups with the Leafs (1949 and 1951) and was named first team centre All Star in the 1952-1953 season with the Bruins. He was the youngest player to play on an NHL All Star team at 18 in his rookie season with Toronto. He held many playoff records for points and assists. Best known for his speed, stickhandling and penalty killing, he created excitement on the ice and was nicknamed the 'Sparkplug'. -

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Hey Wally is there any way to get my Patton/Animal House GDT rant in here? I think it is a better example for this thread than the one you used.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Stumbled across some Bruins photos from nearly 50 years ago but the author of the blog seems to be reporting on a Bruins team from an alternate universe.

http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/sporting-life-2-bruins-vs-canadiens-mid-1960s

He writes

In honor of the rivalry I thought I’d share some more great 35mm color action shots by Arthur Rickerby. I don’t have an exact date for this game, but based on the uniform research I conducted here I’d say it took place sometime during the 1965-66 or 1966-67 season. The only player I can say with certainty I can identify is legendary Bruins goaltender Gerry Cheevers (#30), seen with his iconic “stitch†mask. (Thanks to my Twitter pal Sully, #16 has been ID’d as Murray Oliver.)

nhl-slide-1960s-boston-bruins-monteal-canadiens-4.jpg

I am 99% certain the goalie in that picture is Bernie Parent. Parent was left unprotected in the 1967 expansion draft and was claimed by Philadelphia.

But he also writes about a Bruins universe that is a lot nicer than the one I am stuck in.

One of the great rivalries in sports is set to resume tonight when the Boston Bruins face off against the Montreal Canadiens in the 2014 Stanley Cup Eastern Conference Semifinal round.

It’s the first time these two storied teams — each one of the ten best NHL franchises of all-time — have met each other in the playoffs since 2011, and the 10th time overall. Boston has yet to lose a playoff series to the Habs since their first meeting in 1929.

I wish that was the case :cry:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Stumbled across some Bruins photos from nearly 50 years ago but the author of the blog seems to be reporting on a Bruins team from an alternate universe.

http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/sporting-life-2-bruins-vs-canadiens-mid-1960s

He writes

nhl-slide-1960s-boston-bruins-monteal-canadiens-4.jpg

I am 99% certain the goalie in that picture is Bernie Parent. Parent was left unprotected in the 1967 expansion draft and was claimed by Philadelphia.

But he also writes about a Bruins universe that is a lot nicer than the one I am stuck in.

I wish that was the case :cry:

Is that Butch Goring in the helmet ?:laugh::laugh:

Great post of Rene. Never knew he could sing like that.
He is an institution, but perhaps it's time to retire.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Here is something some of you might want to print out - the official pregame press notes of a very special night in Bruins history :)

https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20102011/[email protected]

GAME 7 FACTS & CLINCHING/ELIMINATION GAME RECORDS:

- The Bruins are playing their 22nd lifetime game 7 and the 5th to be played on the road …They are 11-10 overall in game 7s and are 0-4 on the road …They are 3-2 in game 7s decided in overtime.

- This is their 3rd game 7 of this post-season, tying an NHL record (Toronto, 1993 &Colorado, 2002) &are looking to become the 1st to win all 3 …They are playing the first SCF game 7 in their history.

- The Bruins are facing their 6th SCF clinching game and enter tonight’s game with a 4-1 record in those games …They are also facing their 15th SCF elimination game and enter with a 4-10 mark in those contests.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
First time in my life I'll say honestly that I hope you guys win. In fact I hope you guys destroy us.

Anything it takes to get our loser coach the **** out of here. Galchenyuk on DD's wing, what a sick joke.

Guys - you'll never hear this again so enjoy it:

PLEASE destroy us tomorrow. I'm talking flat-out embarrassment.

As a habs fan I say to Boston, please destroy us.

This.

I honestly hope you guys kick the **** out of us tomorrow, something like 4-0 or 5-1 would be perfect.

The more the better though! :)

I dislike you all with a passion but I will be performing a ritual to be turning myself into a Bruins fan for tomorrow's game in hopes that the habs get blown out 9-0.

DONT DISAPPOINT!

Beat us on Tuesday, the Bell Center will implode. The whole edifice will literally come crashing down.

Habs fan coming in peace.

We need a pounding.
Like, 5-0, or something like that.

k, thanks
-xxx-

Not going to lie. Even as a Habs fan, that was my first thought. We're so desperate for a win, we'll do anything.

Please do not oblige said desperation. Pound them into the ground, get Subban and Emelin ejected, fight Pacioretty. I don't care. Just embarrass them. For once, we need you guys to show up. :laugh:

Jokes are all I have now. After trading for John Scott, we haven't just hit rock bottom, we're on our way to China. I've actually reached a point watching Therrien/Bergevin stare in mindless disbelief is more entertaining than the actual games.

Fun fact: The last time Montreal was this bad, was 1940.

No. Rask needs to start. That'll just make us getting demolished look even worse. We're going for broke!

Habs fan coming in peace!

Good luck!
And be sure to kick our ass! Like, 5-0 or something.
This might be the last match of Michel Therrien, so please, don't **** it up!

Ditto
Habs need to lose to get rid of therrien

Hoping you guys take a dump on us and don't flush.

You're all welcome!

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad