The History of the Boston Bruins

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Where do you find those front page images? I researched journalism projects using microfilm years ago; it seems like that's the only place they could be found.

I have online access to the Globe archives :) I used to research stuff at the BPL Copley. I will soon have access to the old Herald and Record files as well.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Great stuff here.

Question about MTL and Bobby Orr.
MTL had first pick of players at that time, with in a certain distance I think.
Why didn't they get Bobby Orr, and did they pick someone else in stead of him, and
who was it ?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Great stuff here.

Question about MTL and Bobby Orr.
MTL had first pick of players at that time, with in a certain distance I think.
Why didn't they get Bobby Orr, and did they pick someone else in stead of him, and
who was it ?

Toronto would have had the best chance and they had no interest in Orr.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
and Toronto had Ontario.

Well documented that the Orr family wanted to sign with Toronto but the Leafs thought Bobby was too small to play in the NHL.

Didn't the Bruins pursue Orr like a bear does a honeycomb? I know that I have a video with the story but, but, but it has slipped my mind.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Didn't the Bruins pursue Orr like a bear does a honeycomb? I know that I have a video with the story but, but, but it has slipped my mind.

Wren Blair courted the Orr family heavily but they were reluctant to have Bobby sign a 'C form' with Boston hoping Toronto would finally make an offer. The Leafs never did and Bobby signed with Boston. Keep in mind when this was happening the Leafs had become a dynasty winning 3 Cups in a row something that would not happen again until .......... like never :biglaugh:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

1043935_10200941799839946_2053129696_n.jpg

I wish! :cry:
Great collection!

Last edited by a moderator:

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
Just finished reading Dit: Dit Clapper and the Rise of the Boston Bruins (Stewart Richardson and Richard LeBlanc). A biography of Dit Clapper but also describes in detail the history of the first 20 years of the team. I absolutely LOVE reading about the early history of the team. Especially since I found out a few years ago that my grandfather was at the Garden when the Bruins won the cup against Toronto in 1939.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
and Toronto had Ontario.

Well documented that the Orr family wanted to sign with Toronto but the Leafs thought Bobby was too small to play in the NHL.

I'd actually never heard that.

And the last time they won was '67. It's a year removed, but a case can be made for The Curse of Orr. ;-)

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Just finished reading Dit: Dit Clapper and the Rise of the Boston Bruins (Stewart Richardson and Richard LeBlanc). A biography of Dit Clapper but also describes in detail the history of the first 20 years of the team. I absolutely LOVE reading about the early history of the team. Especially since I found out a few years ago that my grandfather was at the Garden when the Bruins won the cup against Toronto in 1939.

dit-clapper-pose-1.jpg

The Bruins have such a rich history of great HoF dmen that there's no other all time O6 team where Chara would be the #6 dman. Bobby Orr, Raymond Bourque, Eddie Shore, Brad Park, Dit Clapper, Zdeno Chara

Last edited:

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
dit-clapper-pose-1.jpg

The Bruins have such a rich history of great HoF dmen that there's no other all time O6 team where Chara would be the #6 dman. Bobby Orr, Raymond Bourque, Eddie Shore, Brad Park, Dit Clapper, Zdeno Chara

And if another D comes along Dit could always move to RW on the all time depth chart. Only player voted an all star at both F and D.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fred Cusick had to give up the Bruins when he moved to WEEI in 1960 and Johnny Pierson became the play by play man.

12112164_857725797668390_2519648818811077121_n.jpg

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Gdt rant

Some advice to the rookies & newbies on this year's team:

See those ******** over there? Yeah, those guys wearing the bleu blanc & rouge jerseys with the toilet seat logo on the chest? Those are the Montreal Canadiens. They're evil. They're scum sucking poutine swilling swine (my apologies to swine everywhere). They are Public Enemy #1 and have been for 91 years now. No team even comes close to the loathing they inspire in Bruins fans.

This is the one game of the season you will be encouraged to commit mayhem against your opponent without fear of criticism from the fans if doing so costs a win.

You see we hate Montreal with an intensity that has to be experienced to be believed. We loathe, despise and hold them in utter contempt.

So we want to see you hit those mother****ers every time they come over the boards. Hit them in the open. Hit them in the corners. Flatten the sons of *****es every time they try to crowd Tuukka in his crease (and Tuukka feel free to go completely milk crate on their sorry *****) If a Hab so much as looks cross eyed at your linemate be prepared to shove his stick up his backside. Or your stick, whichever fits better. Or even better, both. Pound them, crush them, beat the snot of them and then do it again on your next shift. And the next etc until the final horn sounds. Make those jackwagons rue the day they ever signed with Montreal. Send them home with their tails between their legs.

**** the Habs!!!!! :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Reactions: eightspokedb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad