Speculation: The Head Coach Search - Friedman says it's Tocchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yup. I don't even consider him a valid source anymore.

They'll maybe use him to get ahead of a story by a day or two. Maybe. Might be Sarah after his little pre draft rant where he suddenly discovered the team hasn't had a 1C in a decade or so among other things...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Craig and Sarah both just call the official team official and ask for an official statement. They don't do anything. They don't have contacts or sources. They have no inside access at all.

rt

May 13, 2004
Do they even make decent money? They do so little it's hard to believe they get paid much.

I want to be careful to be critical in hopes of them improving, without being just flat out mean. I like them both. I don't mind them being the ones who cover the team. I just want them to try harder, be bolder, and do what it takes to cultivate inside information. There is sales involved here. It's not book reports, it's relationship building. I don't want to talk about their pay; only that I hope they improve so much at their jobs that they get great raises and have a bunch of success. Wish them well, want them to do better.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm not asking to be critical. I'm generally curious. It doesn't seem like they do much more than go to the games, ask soft ball questions and report what the team releases. Hardly anybody buys the newspaper anymore. It's hard to believe some of these lower tier beat writers make much. Even the guys with regular gigs on the radio have other jobs.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sarah is an AP auto-generate bot, Craig is a blogger that calls the team for a statement.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
We clearly have a different read of the situation but I don't think you can be one of a handful of local reporters yet almost never break the big news and when the big news comes around are either in the dark outright or only bringing the team's perspective. At least when Maloney was canned he basically knew (and refused to tell us for access reasons, which still makes him pretty useless). I also include in the whole incident his day after tweet about not having various key positions only to have them almost all filled the very next day.

It wasn't quite a Bickley level self beclowning but it wasn't good.

EDIT: Oh and for clarity's sake I think it's instructive to see the reaction to Sarah McLellan not knowing vs Craig. Sarah didn't seem to know anything either but she just kept quiet.

Craig is more visible on Twitter and often gets pestered for news. Sarah not so much. As soon as the season was over the Republic began moving her over to covering the DBacks more.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Craig is more visible on Twitter and often gets pestered for news. Sarah not so much. As soon as the season was over the Republic began moving her over to covering the DBacks more.

Reporters don't add much value any more with social media and the internet. Teams just go direct with news. In the old days, certain reporters would get info and publish. Now days, teams just send out the news, and don't need the reporters any more.

rt

May 13, 2004
Very good article. I loved Adam Oates as a player and I think he could be a good AC.

Terrible HC though. Keep him away from D and G. At least at even strength. He had some very goofy, Dallas Eakins-level cringy ideas and behaviors. He's apparently a PP genius. Very good reputation there. I'd be good with him if he's got a very well defined role as F and PP coach and we have another guy who takes full D and PK ownership. Like maybe Dallas Eakins. Another horrendous HC that might be an effective AC if given very clear lanes to stay in and a narrower scope of focus.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Terrible HC though. Keep him away from D and G. At least at even strength. He had some very goofy, Dallas Eakins-level cringy ideas and behaviors. He's apparently a PP genius. Very good reputation there. I'd be good with him if he's got a very well defined role as F and PP coach and we have another guy who takes full D and PK ownership. Like maybe Dallas Eakins. Another horrendous HC that might be an effective AC if given very clear lanes to stay in and a narrower sooenof focus.

True, but as HC his record is better than Tocchet. I don't think Oates is a fit here, but who knows. It will be interesting hire. I would like to go young for an AC, someone to gain experience and take over in case Tocchet s---- the bed.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Oates as an assistant is interesting. Agreed that he was a bad HC for the Caps and then in that bizarre co-coach set up in NJ.

Are we sure Nelson isn't being considered as an AC?

rt

May 13, 2004
No idea on Nelson. That'd be great but I don't know.

EDIT: Pretty sure he was the D coach during his AC years with the ATL Thrashers.

Maybe you let Tocchet hire "his guy" in Oates for forwards and PP and Chayka gets "his guy" in Nelson for D and PP?

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No Tocchet. If we fire DT, I would like to see a young up and comer, not another retread.

Jakey53 said:
For me, Tocchet is the clear choice among the names mentioned here, and it's not even close.
Not sure if you noticed, but coaching in the A means diddly squat. Sure it looks good on your resume, but I would think that being an assistant in the NHL carries much more weight than coaching in the A.

Which is it?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Which is it?

All three. If you would read all the posts they make complete sense. I didn't want Tocchet as our next coach, but he was the best choice considering who they interviewed.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Which young, up and comers were not names connected to the Coyotes? Who do you have above Tocchet?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
aDoWnsS.png

(this was SniperHF's idea, don't hurt me! :P)

KG

Sep 23, 2010
My understanding is Oates has developed a niche as a personal skills coach and is well compensated for it. Unsure why he'd want to give that up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My understanding is Oates has developed a niche as a personal skills coach and is well compensated for it. Unsure why he'd want to give that up.

He would make much more as an AC, and it would also give him an opportunity to become a HC sometime in the future, that it, if that is what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad