Speculation: The Head Coach Search - Friedman says it's Tocchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If you liked Todd Nelson's "jam it down their throat" quote, here's another solid one from Adam Oates. This is from his Players' Tribune piece in April 2016:

As an outsider now, I’m not trying to alienate coaches, but I think we have to figure out a balance between letting the skill players play, and fitting everyone into a system. There’s a lot of players who aren’t 6-foot-3 monsters who can be great if given some freedom.

That’s one of my quests right now, to educate coaches to let players’ talents come out. The problem starts when players are young. Coaches want to win games, I get it. But they should still have a responsibility to develop the skill of a 15-year-old kid. Coaches are not necessarily thinking about honing the stick skills of an undersized player. Unless you’re an obvious talent like Kane, you’re probably taught to dump-and-chase and clog shooting lanes.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-oates-nhl-wayne-gretzky-skill-in-hockey/

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Three coaches that failed being a NHL HC. That is a receipe for disaster. IF Tocchet is the man, I hope they surround him with experienced NHL coaches.

So you want a coach with no NHL experience for a team whose roster has very little NHL experience? That's more likely to be a recipe for disaster.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm beginning to think that it won't be Tocchet. Nothing with this club ever seems to go smoothly.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I hope it isn't Tocchet and that everyone jumped the gun.

I really don't have a dog in this race. I think that a great coach will make a difference 2 seasons from now, not right away. I just want things settled. We're all dog tired of the instability associated with this club, from ownership to arena to coach.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Three coaches that failed being a NHL HC. That is a receipe for disaster. IF Tocchet is the man, I hope they surround him with experienced NHL coaches.

I'd rather go with three guys whose initial forays failed than go with a set of establishment guys. At least the first group potentially believes they can learn from what they did wrong the first time. The second group doesn't believe they ever do anything wrong, and we just got rid of a guy whose M.O. was that philosophy to a T.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Jake wants a young up and comer, not a retread. But he's also against coaches with no experience...

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Expecting some kind of snafu. The story broke a while ago yet no announcement. Of course, it could be Tocchet and he is trying to finalize his staff before the coaching team is announced (that is my wishful thinking).

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Ron Cook‏Verified account
@RonCookPG
Follow
More
I can confirm Rick Tocchet is leaving the Penguins to become head coach of the Arizona Coyotes.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know that person but it was a retweet by Damien Cox. The poster is a radio show host from Pittsburgh.
I'm not super familiar with all the "trusted" names on Twitter. Is this legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad