Movies: The Halloween Franchise

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
We can be sure that it'll be rebooted again. It's only a question of when. It could be 5 years. It could be 15. The most time between entries is only 9 years. This franchise's movies are cheap to make and always make money, even the bad ones. Halloween: Resurrection turned a slim profit and Halloween Ends has already turned one, despite the poor reviews and it being out only a week. It's going to take a lot (perhaps something even worse than Halloween: Resurrection, if that's possible) to stop this franchise from being milked.

Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Halloween II (2009) - 6/10

A year after Michael Myers' Halloween night rampage, survivors of the massacre struggle to cope with the trauma they've experienced. Meanwhile, Michael - having since disappeared - is making his way back towards Haddonfield...

Halloween II once again stars Scout Taylor Compton as Laurie Strode, who's struggling to come to terms with the traumatic Halloween night events. Laurie has moved in with Annie (Daniel Harris) and Sheriff Brackett (Brad Dourif), and the three have formed a pseudo family as they try to return to normal lives. Meanwhile, Dr. Loomis (Malcom McDowell) has become a minor celebrity and a complete diva, shamelessly shilling his latest book, while also living in denial about Michael possibly being alive. Unfortunately for all parties, driven by visions of his dead mother (Sheri Moon Zombie), Michael (Tyler Mane) is making his way back home...

Halloween II was once again directed by Rob Zombie. Malek Akkad - now running the series after the passing of father Moustapha - gave Zombie the green light to make his "vision" of the movie, with no chains attached. Zombie took that advice, and boy did we get something different.

Unlike the 2007 remake - which had a polished, cinematic feel to it - Halloween II has more of a grindhouse feel. It's dark, gritty, and the film is even grainy in parts. It does not at all feel like a follow up to the 2007 film. Instead, it focuses more on the psychology of the characters; from the trauma of the protagonists, to the insanity of Michael. I think the protagonists story works well, but the Michael Myers scenes with the white horse are more of a mixed bag. I like the style, but a lot of it doesn't make sense.

Compared to the 2007 film, Halloween II's characterizations and dialogue are far superior (though there are a couple rough scenes early on). Laurie in particular was terrible in the 2007 film, constantly screaming and making sexual references. Here, she's actually somewhat sympathetic (though apparently she's less so in the Director's Cut - this is a review of the Theatrical Version). The best character - by far - is Brad Dourif's Sheriff Brackett. A bit player in the 2007 film, here Dourif steals every scene he's in, and adds serious legitimacy to this movie with an all-time great Halloween series performance.

Michael Myers' portrayal in the movie is just okay. We don't see him a lot, and he rarely wears his famous mask. It's also unclear where he's been the past year; we know he's homeless, but it seems like his journey back to Haddonfield is a decently long one. Where'd he go? That said, Michael does have some good kills, and (unlike most) I like the half ripped mask look.

Without sharing any spoilers, another con of Halloween II is that the end of the movie feels like a carbon copy of the 2007 film. The same character is brutally attacked, leading to the same characters confronting Michael in a final showdown. The very end is a little different, but overall it feels similar.

Halloween II is mostly hated by fans of the series. It does have a small following, but by-and-large is at the bottom of most fans lists. I can somewhat see why. The film goes in a much different direction than every other Halloween movie, and many fans don't seem to like "Hobo" Myers or the white horse narrative. The atmosphere is also much different, with almost no music during the film, and the Halloween theme not appearing until the end credits.

Personally, I'm not bothered by that. I just see the film for what it is: a bleak, grind house-y style movie that happens to have Michael Myers it in. Overall, while I don't think it's a great movie, there are things to like in it and it's definitely watchable. I think time may be kind to this movie as more fans rediscover it. Halloween II did okay at the box office ($39.4M against a $15M budget), but poor reviews and fan response led it to be the final chapter in the Rob Zombie reboot series, and led to the Halloween franchise as a whole going into a series-long nine year hiatus before the next film.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Random but what's everyone's favorite kill from a Halloween movie?

Mine is from Halloween II (1981), when Michael kills the Marshall with a scalpel.

It's very simple, but also serves as an "oh crap, this guy is immortal" moment, because Michael was just shot 5 times (in addition to the 6 from earlier in the night) and it had little effect.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I disagree on sequel claim

Both Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street had more good sequels and less god-awful efforts then Halloween and generally had better quality

The reality is if not for Jamie Lee Curtis returning with H20 + Halloween (2018) happening the Halloween franchise would be more akin to Texas Chainsaw Massacre in success/popularity

After Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers failed at box office the future of franchise was looking dismal with Miramax considering moving it to "Straight to Video" fate as they had done with Hellraiser series after Hellraiser: Bloodline

Jamie Lee Curtis interest in returning to Halloween saved franchise. Never has Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street franchises faced such a fall from grace

I disagree with all of this but I respect your opinion

Nightmare on Elm Street best sequels were better than any of the Halloween sequels. Some view Nightmare 3: the Dream Warriors as the best of the Franchise. The 7th movie A New Nightmare is also quite good. It served as a template for Scream which came 2 years later. I can't think of 2 Halloween sequels that would match those in quality.
Dream Warrior > Any Halloween except the original

The hospital room massacre from Curse

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I don't know that I have a favorite per se, but I have to say I thought the jerky kid getting his head blow torched in Halloween Ends was pretty rad, especially how it's shot with the violence in the foreground as this haze of heat and color and the focus on the girl in the background watching what's happening.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I don't know that I have a favorite per se, but I have to say I thought the jerky kid getting his head blow torched in Halloween Ends was pretty rad, especially how it's shot with the violence in the foreground as this hazy of heat and color and the focus on the girl in the background watching what's happening.

I almost mentioned that one, but I need more time to live with that kill (and that movie).

I like the plastic bag/stabbing kill in that movie too.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012

Halloween 2 the original sequel has a few great kills I'd put at the top of the list. Even the not-Michael Michael kill/explosion is entertaining.

My opinion might even change on this topic, but right now I'd say Halloween 4/The Return of Myers when he rips the guy's face off and cracks his neck who's driving the car, apparently the character's name is Earl Ford. Unexpected, brutal, and shot just right for visual appeal.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm going to re-watch the HalloGreen trilogy in the coming days, but my opinion right now is the story should've been told in a different order.

I've been seeing similar comments online, but here's what my order would probably look like...

1. Halloween Kills - Not shot for shot, but the point is start off which Michael going on a rampage on Haddonfield, and then vanishing. Remove Karen's death from the end...and also lots of other crap (Evil Dies Tonight!).
2. Halloween Ends - Tell this story as a middle chapter, have Michael return at the end, and re-insert Karen's death.
3. Halloween - A distraught Laurie is off the deep end, leading to the final showdown where she burns Michael in her trap house.

Reactions: OzzyFan and Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm going to re-watch the HalloGreen trilogy in the coming days, but my opinion right now is the story should've been told in a different order.

I've been seeing similar comments online, but here's what my order would probably look like...

1. Halloween Kills - Not shot for shot, but the point is start off which Michael going on a rampage on Haddonfield, and then vanishing. Remove Karen's death from the end...and also lots of other crap (Evil Dies Tonight!).
2. Halloween Ends - Tell this story as a middle chapter, have Michael return at the end, and re-insert Karen's death.
3. Halloween - A distraught Laurie is off the deep end, leading to the final showdown where she burns Michael in her trap house.
That works. Reverse order might work, too:

1. Halloween Ends - Laurie has settled down and isn't worried about Michael because he hasn't been seen in 35 years. She spots something in a young man's eyes that she hasn't seen in that long. It turns out Michael is back and wounds Laurie before getting away.
2. Halloween Kills - With Laurie in the hospital, Michael goes on a killing spree, which mobilizes the rest of the townspeople into a mob.
3. Halloween - Laurie is out of the hospital and mad at the death of her daughter and her previous lack of preparedness. She turns into Rambo Granny and lures Michael into a trap to finish him off once and for all.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

That works. Reverse order might work pretty well, too, IMO:

1. Halloween Ends - Laurie has settled down and isn't worried about Michael because he hasn't been seen in 35 years. She's shocked to see something in a local's eyes that she hasn't seen in that long. Turns out Michael is back and wounds Laurie before getting away.
2. Halloween Kills - With Laurie in the hospital, Michael goes on a killing spree, which mobilizes the rest of the townspeople into a mob.
3. Halloween - Laurie is out of the hospital and mad at the death of her daughter and her previous lack of preparedness. She turns into Rambo Granny and lures Michael into a trap to finish him off once and for all.

Both your timelines are missing the scene where Michael gets thrown around like a rag doll by a nerd. Says a lot that you need to rewrite the trilogy to make it bearable, might as well trash it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Both your timelines are missing the scene where Michael gets thrown around like a rag doll by a nerd. Says a lot that you need to rewrite the trilogy to make it bearable, might as well trash it.

I have a feeling you're not going to like my next three reviews...

michael-myers-october.png

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I have a feeling you're not going to like my next three reviews...

michael-myers-october.png
I always like your reviews. My opinion on these films is on page one of this thread - I doubt your comments will make me change my mind on Green's crap, but I'm sure I will enjoy them. I don't often think I'm right anyway.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: OzzyFan and shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I always like your reviews. My opinion on these films is on page one of this thread - I doubt your comments will make me change my mind on Green's crap, but I'm sure I will enjoy them. I don't often think I'm right anyway.

I'll do my best! There's definitely no right or wrong though, especially when it comes to movies 11-13 in this series... :jol:

I'm looking forward to rewatching Halloween Kills. It left a bad taste in my mouth the first and only time I watched it, but I'm curious to see if time has done it any favors. But that's the kind of optimism that left me disappointed last year.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Seriously, I respect that you're willing to re-watch movies so soon in order to give them another chance. I can't do that. When I don't like a movie, I don't want to watch it again for a very long time (or ever). I certainly don't look forward to sitting through it again a week or even a year later. If you can go in with an open mind and get something out of it, that's admirable. I can't and would rather spend my time watching movies that I haven't seen or will enjoy re-watching than trying to be fair to movies that disappointed or irritated me the first time, but that's just me and it's worse as I get older and crankier. :pout:

Last edited:
  • Love

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Halloween (2018) - 7/10

40 years after his assault on Haddonfield IL, Michael Myers escapes from captivity.

Jamie Lee Curtis returns as Laurie Strode, who's been left traumatized by the events of 1978 Halloween Night. Laurie is a basket case, living a secluded life on the outskirts of Haddonfield in a heavily fortified house. Laurie's daughter Karen (Judy Greer) wants little do with her, while granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak) pushes Laurie to move on from the past. However, Laurie's paranoia may be well founded after The Shape (James Jude Courtney) escapes custody...

Halloween was written and directed by David Gordon Green, who was joined in the writers room by Jeff Fradley and Danny McBride. The trio had collaborated many times before, but it had been exclusively on comedy projects like the HBO series "Vice Principals". What do you get when three comedy writers are given the keys to a big horror franchise?

A pretty good sequel, apparently. Halloween 2018 doesn't add anything particularly unique to the Halloween series or the slasher genre as a whole, but it does go back to basics within the series, wiping away parts 2-8 and serving as a follow up to the original 1978 film. Doing this allowed the filmmakers to tell a story that wasn't bogged down by ties to familial subplots, curses, or worse - Halloween Resurrection.

Jamie Lee Curtis gives probably the best performance of the series as a broken Laurie, whose life has been defined by the horrific night of her youth. She struggles with alcoholism, paranoia, and relationship building, which I think it's a very realistic outcome. This trauma adds layers to her character and makes the eventual confrontation with her attacker feel more meaningful. Speaking of performances, I also enjoyed the co-starring performance of Will Patton as veteran police officer Officer Hawkins, who was one of the first responders on Halloween night 1978.

In my opinion, Halloween 2018's biggest strength is its score, which was composed by John Carpenter, son Cody Carpenter, and godson Daniel Davies (son of Dave Davies of The Kinks, who Carpenter worked with on the In The Mouth of Madness (1994) score). The trio work together to give us the best Halloween score in decades, with the stand out tracks including "Prison Montage", "Laurie Sees The Shape", and "Ray's Goodbye". I originally saw Halloween 2018 in theaters, and the the moment when the track "The Shape Hunts Allyson" started playing during the movie, I pretty much got goosebumps; I thought to myself "Halloween is back".

Finally, without getting into spoilers, I have to say the final 20 minutes of this movie are probably my favorite in the series. I would argue this portion is fairly easily the most scary and tense in the Halloween series, and the film's conclusion is extremely satisfying.

However, as is the case with most movies (and particularly movies in this franchise), Halloween 2018 is not free from issues. Some of the side characters aren't great, and there's one character in particularly who has a sudden personality shift seemingly at random (so random that this character reverts back to normal in the sequel). The film could also be criticized from borrowing too much from the original, such as introducing a new psychiatrist character and following other similar beats. I mostly think this is fan service, but your milage may vary. Finally, there's some comedy in this movie that might not match the tastes of some viewers. It's not too over the top, but some of it could've been completely omitted to make the film tighter.

Overall, Halloween 2018 is a strong sequel, and breathed life back into the Halloween franchise. Though it doesn't take Michael Myers or the series in any new directions, it serves as a love letter for fans who wanted to see the original continuity restored. With John Carpenter, Jamie Lee Curtis, and even original Shape Nick Castle back in the fold, it felt like the right people were involved with getting the series back on track. Halloween 2018 does own a small part of horror history due to it popularizing the Reboot/Sequel ("requel") formula in the genre, with major franchises such as Hellraiser, Scream, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre following suit with legacy "requels" of their own. Personally, I would've been completely satisfied if Halloween 2018 was a one-and-done situation. But, you knew more sequels were coming after the film was a big hit in theaters, making $255M against only a $10M budget.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
A week after the holiday of Halloween, my lazy butt finally got around to watching Halloween Kills. Sorry, this ended up being way too long, but I had a lot to say...

Halloween Kills (2021) - 6/10

Michael Myers continues his killing spree on Halloween Night 2018.

James Jude Courtney stars as The Shape, who after battling the Strode family in the previous film continues his rampage through Haddonfield. With Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) hospitalized, Halloween 1978 survivor Tommy Doyle (Anthony Michael Hall) forms a mob with other citizens to hunt Michael down. Meanwhile, a couple living in the Myers house (Scott MacArthur and Michael McDonald) keep getting pranked by trick-or-treaters, but notice their back door is open...

Halloween Kills was once again written and directed by David Gordon Green, with Danny McBride and newcomer Scott Teems cowriting. Despite having the same creative team at the helm as well received Halloween (2018), Halloween Kills received mixed reviews upon release. Personally, it was a film that left a bad taste in my mouth, disappointing me greatly the first time I viewed it.

The film's issues start with the plot, which I see as a hybrid of the plots of Halloween II (1981) and Halloween 4 (1988). Unlike those films however, Halloween Kills has way too much going on. Halloween Kills almost reminds me of the 1996 Simpson's episode "22 Short Films About Springfield", with Michael Myers tying together all the various scenes in Haddonfield. Between the characters at Haddonfield Memorial Hospital, the multiple mob groups, the couple living in Michael's old home, and some 1978 flashbacks, the film feels like it can't decide where it wants to focus or who it wants to focus on.

Series star Jamie Lee Curtis only has a supporting role (at best!), with Karen (Judy Greer) and Allyson (Andi Matichak) also sidelined for large portions of this movie. Adding insult to injury is a time consuming subplot about a mental patient caught in the mob's crossfire, giving the film some social commentary. Halloween Kills also makes a big deal about Michael's bedroom window - to the point the window is almost a character itself - but it doesn't really go anywhere or provide any new insight into the character.

Like Halloween (2018), this movie also provides some serious fan service, bringing back several legacy characters. In addition to Tommy, the film also sees the return of Leigh Brackett (Charles Cyphers), Marion Chambers (Nancy Stephens), and Lindsey Wallace (Kyle Richards), all of whom are played by their original actors (unlike Tommy). It was definitely nice to see these characters return, but it was frustrating that some of them fell victim to the idiot plot. Speaking of which, this movie overall has many stupid characters making stupid decisions, such as: a character forgetting to reload their gun (after firing wildly), one character leaving his armed group to search for Michael alone in a dark house, another character accidentally shooting themself, and a case of mistaken identity in the worst way possible.

There is also some flat out brutal dialogue in this movie, including the cheesy "Evil Dies Tonight!" slogan. My least favorite of these moments is during the 1978 flashback, when Dr. Loomis yells to a young Officer Hawkins "Officer Hawkins! Did he kill again? Did Michael kill again?". First of all, how did he even know Hawkins name with dozens of police around? Second of all, why does Loomis care? He has no reason to be asking this bizarre question over and over.

However, despite several weaknesses, Halloween Kills does have its fair share of strengths.

The first of which is Michael Myers. James Jude Courtney hits it out of the park with his performance of the character, giving us an extremely violent version of The Shape. Michael's mask in this movie, which features fire damage, is very popular in the Halloween community and one of my favorites. However, I think Jude Courtney's best scene is a sequence in which Michael is unmasked and stalking his prey, which manages to be creepy even though we can clearly see his head. There's even a moment in which a mask-less Michael seems to whisper the words "give it back"; you can be the judge. Just a great performance all around, and possibly the rendition of The Shape in the Halloween series. James Jude Courtney's the real star of this movie.

The film definitely lives up to its "Kills" name, ramping up the gore big time. The Halloween series isn't necessarily known for its violence, but here it borders on excessive in some scenes, especially if you watch the readily available Extended Cut of this film (more on that later). Being that I'm a soulless ghoul, it didn't bother me personally. But for the squeamish, proceed with caution.

The score - once again composed by John Carpenter, Cody Carpenter, and Daniel Davies - is excellent, with the best tracks being "Halloween Kills (Main Title)", "Rampage", and "It Needs to Die". I also thought the opening credits were great, showing 12 pumpkins representing the 12 Halloween films up to this point in the series, which includes some nice touches like the pumpkin representing Halloween II (1981) crying tears of blood.

Finally, I need to mention I watched the Extended Cut of Halloween Kills for this review. To my knowledge, this is the most commonly sold version of this film, and was the only version available to purchase on iTunes. It definitely helped my impression overall of this movie. There were a few scenes I could pick out that weren't in the Theatrical Version, along with a slightly different ending. Overall, the Extended version seemed to be paced better and had better flow, whereas my impression of the Theatrical Cut was it felt like a bunch of scenes stapled together. Your mileage may vary.

Overall, Halloween Kills is a mixed bag of a Halloween film. It's completely style over substance, with a misguided plot that is offset by some cool sequences and great music. After being disappointed with it during its release, time has softened the edges of Halloween Kills for me, allowing it to eke out a 6.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
They got this so wrong it's pretty unbelievable. Now wasn't the time to go off the rails and attempt something different, everyone seems to agree the way Halloween 2018 ended should've been the last film of the trilogy.

Took everything in my power not to walkout of the theatre when Michael was punked for his own mask by some kid who was bullied by high schoolers minutes earlier. What in god's name were they thinking.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Finally getting around to this... had a lot typed up a while ago but forgot to save it. :hhal:

Halloween Ends (2022) - 6/10

Three years after a deadly Halloween night incident, a town pariah heads down a dark path after a chance encounter with evil.

Rohan Campbell stars as Corey Cunningham, an outcast in the town of Haddonfield. Corey's once promising future has gone south, but things start looking up after "other" town outcast Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) introduces him to her granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak), and the two quickly form a relationship. However, the past won't stay buried, and events transpire that re-activate a dormant Michael Myers (James Jude Courtney)...

Halloween Ends is the third movie in a row directed by David Gordon Green, as well as being the third written by both Green and Danny McBride; newcomers Chris Bernier and Brad Paul Logan also joined writer's room for this series outing. Despite having essentially the same creative team, Halloween Ends tells a dramatically different story than Halloween (2018) and Halloween Kills (2021), feeling as though it belongs to a completely different Horror franchise.

The film has a strong opening sequence, and has the same "series feel" as the previous two films. However, Halloween Ends quickly changes into what is essentially a remake of the Stephen King story/John Carpenter adaptation Christine (1983), borrowing from that story to an almost ridiculous extent. Corey is a clone of Christine's Artie, even sharing the last name of Cunningham. The two have similar character traits, similar jobs, they both have their glasses broken as they descend further down a dark path, and both are bullied by High Schoolers (which makes more sense in Christine than here).

The car, you ask? That would be Michael Myers. Though he's obviously not a motorized vehicle, he serves the same function of Christine's 1958 Plymouth Fury, serving as the catalyst for Corey's downward spiral. However, Michael's screen presence is much smaller than the Plymouth's; he doesn't appear until nearly 45 minutes into the runtime and overall has a minor role in the film, not getting any significant screen time until the end of the movie.

I have no earthly idea why the filmmakers - who in my opinion did a very good job reviving the franchise - decided to go in this direction for their final act. It is a bizarre choice to end a franchise, and deconstructs much of what was set up in previous films. Halloween Ends was touted as the final showdown between Laurie Strode and Michael Myers, which is what everyone wanted but we only partially received. The decision to radically change direction - along with misleading marketing - has pissed off many fans, giving Halloween Ends a notoriously poor reputation only a month after its theatrical release.

Personally, I enjoy the film for what it is. Ignoring that it's a rip-off of Christine, I still found myself invested in Corey's story, thanks to strong acting by Rohan Campbell. Though I find this film to be very different than its predecessors, one thing that stays consistent is the theme of trauma. In all three movies, Gordon Green explores the effect of what happens when very bad things happen to good people; first Laurie, then the town of Haddonfield, and now Corey.

Speaking of Laurie, she does have a big role in the film despite me not mentioning her much so far. Unlike previous movies in which she was a battle born revenge seeker, in Halloween Ends Laurie is trying to live a normal life after four years of therapy (more on that later). In my opinion, Jamie Lee Curtis gives her best performance of the series, giving a ton of range to the character that has been to hell and back.

In addition to its general story change compared to previous series entries, much of Halloween Ends doesn't even feel like a horror movie; instead coming off more like a drama as it focuses on Corey's struggles with darkness. However, when the film does horror, it does it well; giving us a few very strong sequences, and featuring two of my favorite kills of the entire series. Without spoiling it, I also enjoyed the ending film, and it left me very satisfied.

What left me less satisfied is the amount of deconstruction in this film. Halloween Ends makes significant changes to the characters of Laurie and Michael, throwing in the trash much of what the previous two films established. Can you accept Laurie's new docile persona, even though the events of Halloween Kills give her more reason than ever to continue being a basket case? Can you accept the dramatic changes to Michael, especially after so many asked - and unanswered - questions in Halloween Kills? Can you accept the Florence Nightingale whirlwind romance the film focuses on? These are all bigger asks than they would be considering the final product is not what any fan envisioned in their head.

Additionally, there is a clash between the film's first two acts and its final act. We do finally get significant Michael Myers action at the end of the movie, but after focusing so much on the Corey story, this segment and the rest of the movie feel Frankensteined together. It was almost like the filmmakers desperately wanted to tell the "Christine" plot line, but then were forced to add Michael Myers at the end to ensure it was a Halloween movie. It's very strange, especially because the ending is the most rewatchable part of the movie.

John Carpenter, Cody Carpenter, and Daniel Davies return again to score this film, putting in another strong effort. The trio give us the least "Halloween" sounding score of the series, which is appropriate considering how different this film is, and the subdued soundtrack suits the film well. The best tracks are "The Junk Yard" and "The Procession", with former track reminiscent of the score from John Carpenter's 1993 TV movie "Body Bags".

Overall, Halloween Ends is a movie I enjoy, but it clearly has its problems. I can't help but feel this movie would have been more successful if the character of Corey was introduced in an earlier film, or if this film was the middle chapter of the trilogy as opposed to the final chapter. Halloween Ends uses the same blue font as Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982), ironic considering that film was also famously hated upon release. Though I don't think Halloween Ends is as good as Season of the Witch, I do think it's a film fans will warm up to a bit over time, and think it's better than its current 5.0 IMDB rating.

...and with that overly wordy review out of the way, here's my updated tier list of the franchise. I enjoyed RZ's H2 and Halloween Kills more during this series rewatch:

Tier​
Film​
MasterpieceJohn Carpenter's Halloween (1978)
Great
Above AverageHalloween II (1981)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
Halloween (2018)
Average/OkayHalloween 4 (1988)
Halloween II (2009)
Halloween Kills (2021)
Halloween Ends (2022)
Below Average/MediocreHalloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
Halloween (2007)
BadHalloween 5 (1989)
AwfulHalloween Resurrection (2002)

Screen-Shot-2018-09-05-at-1.36.04-PM.png

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Tier​
Film​
Great
Halloween (2018)
Halloween II (2009)
Halloween Kills (2021)
Halloween Ends (2022)
Halloween (2007)
BadHalloween 5 (1989)
Of course pretty far from my own ranking, but I can live with that. The only thing that really itches is the 2018 being in the same tier as Halloween II. Nah.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Of course pretty far from my own ranking, but I can live with that. The only thing that really itches is the 2018 being in the same tier as Halloween II. Nah.

H2018 scratched an itch for me that I didn't know was there when I first saw it. I'm probably too high on it, but I really enjoy that one.

I forgot to mention in my Halloween Ends review that they recycled a couple discarded ideas from previous Halloween entries; specifically from the original Halloween 4 script and the copycat killer idea from Halloween H20.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Tier​
Film​
Great
Halloween (2018)
Halloween II (2009)
Halloween Kills (2021)
Halloween Ends (2022)
Halloween (2007)
BadHalloween 5 (1989)
This is so close to how I'd rank and tier them, I'm kinda scared. I'd probably reorganize the average/okay tier a little but that grouping feels right.

I haven't revisited 4-6, H20 or Resurrection in a long time. I plan to at some point but would be genuinely shocked if my opinion changed in any meaningful way on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad