Movies: The Halloween Franchise

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
You're 100% correct.

This movie was a complete piece of shit and I'm not sure how anyone enjoyed it as a horror movie. I enjoyed seeing it because it was utter shit. There are huge sections of the movie that aren't even needed and don't really go anywhere at all.

• The amount of times the characters referenced the events from 40 years ago was nauseatingly bad.
  • Pretty much every shot from the hospital could've been trashed and it would have only positively impacted the movie.
  • Re-introducing characters from the original Halloween night 40 years prior and giving them vengeance storylines actually hurts the storyline for Curtis' family and leads me to wanting all of them to get killed.
  • The boyfriend from the 2018 Halloween was a gigantic dick and now we're supposed to be rooting for him without really being given a compelling reason why.
  • There was virtually no suspense. The moments you thought Myers would appear, he does. The moments you think everyone is safe, they were.
  • Characters kept referencing strength in numbers, but insisted on going places alone, splitting up, or fighting Myers one on one.
  • Early in the movie we see Myers take on a group of people all at once, then later the group becomes too much for him, though he eventually regains his strength and f***s them all up. Just a bizarre sequence.
  • I know I complained about the hospital already, but holy shit Curtis giving herself morphine was absurd, and her getting the knife was completely pointless for this film. I guess they'll save that for the next one.
A positive I'll say is that the mask got cooler in this one. :laugh:

A agree with all this. Why do they have to make him so ridiculous? The first one was based in reality but now every movie he's taking full rounds to chest and killing large groups of people with ease. I know the director said he didn't want him to supernatural but his movie kind of says the opposite.

I still think the original and H20 are the best. I don't get why people don't like H20. I get the mask is awful but the story is on point.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Rewatched this one before watching HK hopefully this week.

Halloween
(Green, 2018) – This was my initial comment posted here a year ago: Finally catched that one now that it's on Netflix Canada... Never understood how they thought it could be a good idea to, once again, make a sequel to only part of the Halloween films (H20 + H:Resurrection tried that with Jamie Lee Curtis and failed, and now the premise was even worse, also ignoring Halloween II, which is probably the best film of the whole lot, and only to put aside the brother-sister relationship). But no, they had to do it so extra-old Laurie Strode, now with a big "what would Sarah Connor do?" fetish, would get a third timeline (she already died twice!) to go against her non-brother. She has 40 years to prepare and both her trap and her plan are completely dumb. The Zombie films were far superior. 3/10 I'll add that the film tries to do a lot of what the original did, but it always feel clumsy: the no drinking (bad), smoking (bad), sex (bad) thing and the babysitter stuff are just ironic at this point, the crazy obsessed doctor is pushed way beyond the limits of suspension of disbelief (Loomis was already something, this one is ridiculous). There's a few scenes you've already seen in other entries with better execution and results, and I can't get over the fact that it kind of mocks the brother-sister storyline even though it really appeared in (the extended version of) the first film. I still have it at 3/10, but I must push it below H4 and H20 in the overall ranking.

1. H2
2 (?). Zombie's H2
3. H
-
4. H3
5. Zombie's H
-
6. H Curse
7. H4
8. H20
9. H2018
-
10. H5
-
-
11. H Resurrection

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Still haven't seen HK, but went back to the remakes.

Halloween (Zombie, 2007) – I am well aware that the Zombie remakes have a bad reputation. I am not myself a big fan of the Myers portrayed as a white trash family (and I can't stand Sheri Moon, her suicide scene is absolutely ridiculous!), and I think the background and explanations on the killer's persona are counterproductive in that they diminish the character more than they add to it (I do, on the other hand, appreciate the “love hurts” angle brought to his quest). Still, you can't really argue against the fact that Zombie has the strongest signature of all the directors who played with this material. The result – like it or not – is a lot more coherent as a whole, with clear intent and direction, than every other entries of the series. This first take might not be a great film (it's a very good Halloween film IMO), but it's a brutal film, and a pretty dark slasher. I'm not too sure about that version of Loomis, as much as I've crapped on that character, I still enjoyed his ambivalence (and I must admit I get a kick out of the “These are the eyes of a psychopath” speech, during which Zombie shows us the eyes of Loomis, and not of Michael – also, the “you've became like my best friend” Loomis says to Michael). 4.5/10

Untitled-3.jpg

Halloween II (Zombie, 2009) – Hard film to rate for me. I understand why most people absolutely hate it. The switch in tone and style, not only from the original series but even from the first film, is somewhat off-putting – and the new elements are either borderline unbearable (the emo/grunge Laurie Strode) or unbearably corny (the wannabe surrealist dream sequences and wannabe Freudian/Jungian imagery). Loomis is nothing more here than a caricature, the vocabulary level is abysmal (f*** f*** f***), and the lead actress is suddenly really bad (she wasn't that bad in the previous one). Still, I like this film a lot! I think the first 22 or 23 minutes are masterful – that's a fifth of the whole film, from which Laurie just wakes up, with no indication that any of it was part of what really happened following the previous film. Not only a pretty ballsy move in itself, but that long dream sequence is in fact introduced by a weird intellectualizing quote about the white horse in opening credits (from a book that I don't think really exists), pointing to the interpretation of dreams. The dream sequence also betrays itself through another intertext (an existing one this time) with the stretching of the Nights In White Satin music video, never reaching the end (brilliant reflexivity). That sequence is also a remake of Halloween II, contained in the sequel to the remake of Halloween. To me, this long introduction to the film is at a level no other slasher ever reached. Add to that some beautiful night shots, a few brilliant dissolves, and directorial amuse-gueules (Annie's murder first told only in sound), and you've got a very special film (I'm also partial to this rendition of Michael Myers as a gritty and brutal force). As clumsy as some of the dream visuals that appear after the introductory dream sequence may be, I think they contribute to the overall oneiric tone of the film. Zombie toyed with the idea of having Laurie as the real killer in the film and Michael only in her imagination, and part of these ideas were kept (the Welcome to my Nighmare tag in her room, notably, but also the dream where she reproduces some of Michael's murders from the first film). This adds a layer of ambiguity to the final film (reinforced by the finale), which might just have added to people's disgust with it but that I think helps making it a more unique horror film. I had it at 6/10 and will keep it there.

Last edited:

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Always been a big fan of the series.

Regardless of campy stuff. Something about being 12 in the video store and seeing all the horror movies and picking one with lawn mowing money sticks the nostalgic bone.

2018 was as good as Halloween 2 as far as sequels go to me. Halloween 4 was a good movie at the time, despite flaws.

5, 6, h20, and res I didn't like. 6 in both versions was incoherent. 5 had some good elements but failed as a whole

Kills was again a step down. Still enjoyable. But every character was just so damn stupid it was hard not to root for Mike to Darwin award them all.

I did sit up and go "ohhhhh" when the lynch mob caught him, thinking "never seen this before". Was fun seeing him get beat down. They should have ended the series like that. The last 3 minutes just ruined it with him getting back up invincible again.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I watched Kills last night and just thought it was boring. Not terrible but kinda lame.

The Zombie movies are f***ing awful. The first one is bad and the 2nd one is a movie that thinks it is a lot deeper than it actually is. It has ideas that Zombie is not a strong enough of a filmmaker to pull off.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
One of the problems with the film is Michael's undefined powers...

He's supposed to be human... he's been in an asylum since he was a boy... and yet, somehow he has the skills and strength to take on half a dozen firefighters with only an axe, or to defeat a mob of armed citizens

At some point he went from being a psycho with a knife, to a slimmer version of Jason Voorhees

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Finally got to it...

halloween-kills-film-2021-1.jpg

Halloween Kills
(Green, 2021) – The introduction of the “original characters” in the bar after the bird caller's scary reminder of Haddonfield's murders is so clumsy that you just knew the film would be a disaster. I guess they thought it was fan servicing to bring back a half handful of characters nobody cared about, just to off them for good this time. I liked the 1978 bits and the return of Donald Pleasance, but absolutely hated the 2021 characters and storyline – the vulgar interracial couple, the comic-relief gay couple, and the doctor-nurse black couple were all exhausting reminders that this movie right here was very much of its times. I enjoyed the brutal and merciless version of Michael Myers, akin to the Zombie one, but that's just 10-15 minutes of the film, the rest of it was either working on repetition alone and felt overdone (the whole mob-going-dumb thing was pretty bad, and one more time for the back row: Evil dies tonight!) or undercooked (the rushed 'he made us into monsters' wasn't working at all). It might be better than the previous one by a hair, but only because it got rid of the most ridiculous stuff and was less of a remelting of ideas previously done in the series. 3/10

1. H2
2 Zombie's H2
2. H
-
4. H3
5. Zombie's H
-
6. H Curse
7. H4
8. HK
9. H20
10. H2018
-
11. H5
-
-
12. H Resurrection

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Finally got around to watching it (Added to HBO Max)

Halloween Kills (2021)

4/10

I enjoyed Halloween (2018) for what it was and could live with its flaws (The idiotic doctor storyline mainly). To me it was a nice throwback and well-made horror film that sought to bring franchise back after the debacles that were the Dimension/Miramax Halloweens and the awful Rob Zombie Halloweens which took franchise into gutter (Part V was start of decline to be fair before Weinstein's bought rights)

This film on other hand was far fom enjoyable. Everything was a downgrade with this film from the plot to the acting to Myers himself

With regard to the acting everyone is either phoning it in or overacting horrifically (Anthony Michael Hall sticks out in this regard) that after a while you wish all of the characters would die

The storyline should have been simple/predictable and while it largely was throwing in a series of nonsensical throwbacks characters and adding new annoying poorly written characters dragged it down. The throwback to original characters was not done well in this film with several actively negative additions (Tommy Doyle and Lindsey Wallace) or pointless and with no reasonable reason to be in it (Marion Chambers) , Dumb character brought back for no reason other then to create a dumb plot point (Lonnie) or just wasted (Sheriff Brackett)

I would say that the "Sheriff" storyline/throwback plot scene to 1978 could have been done well but the actors playing cops were annoying and the payoff was poor with the shooting his fellow deputy and a poorly done Dr Loomis voiceover with CGI shot of character (CGI shot wasn't bad but the voice over was awful and sounded nothing like him) just leaving one shaking head

Now let's get to Myers. Some of the kills were over the top which I get (Jason, Freddy, Michael in past, etc) all have over the top kills but some of these were so stupid and over the top it just felt gratuitous and pointless like they were just thrown in to add bodies (Which is not uncommon in genre). It felt like the character in 2018 version and this version were so different like the difference in Jason pre-zombie Jason and post-zombie Jason

Halloween films are not high art but generally the enjoyable one's (Original , 2018 and Part IV) are enjoyable that I can find myself watching them when I see they are on TV without 2nd thought and even a film like Halloween 2 (1981) has enough moments that I would likely still watch or consider watching

While Halloween Kills wasn't God awful/horrible like Revenge of Michael Myers, Curse of Michael Myers, Resurrection or Rob Zombie's film it still is pretty bad overall and just doesn't bring much to table. I would put it with Halloween H20 as a movie that overall brings nothing to series is largely forgettable experience that has few redeeming qualities

Maybe my view will change with time but just didn't enjoy this film and was disappointed and now I am not expecting much from Halloween Ends at this point

Ratings for me to franchise thus far

Halloween (1978) = 9/10
Halloween 2 (1981) = 6/10
Halloween 3 (1982) = 5/10
Halloween: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) = 7/10
Halloween: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) = 2/10
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995) = 3.5/10
Halloween H20 = 4/10
Halloween Resurrection (2002) = 0/10
Rob Zombie's Halloween = 3.5/10
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 = 1/10
Halloween (2018) = 7/10
Halloween Kills = 4/10

Halloween will always be the lesser franchise compared to Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street despite it generally starting out better (Original Halloween was more impactful and generally is viewed as higher quality film)

Just way too much low quality in franchise thru years with especially large stretches of lowest of lows

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow1 and Osprey

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
So I started October by binging the Halloween franchise over 2days, movies 1-10 (based on release date, Halloween (1978) being 1 and Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2 (2009) being 10. None of the Green Trilogy, although the 2 released are still fresh in my mind and both were more enjoyable than the majority of all the prior sequels I would suggest. The 18’ film is better than the 21’ film for the record), watching some I’ve never seen in the middle section and rewatching some. Overall it was worth my time, but there’s definitely filler in there.

Now on to thoughts. Halloween 78’ is still the legendary quintessential slasher and halloween film that masters and does so much so so well. Tension, dread, jump scares, direction, realism, the backstory, the murders and their style, the masked breathing, the incredibly catchy theme and score, etc. I’d argue it’s a masterpiece (although I know Pranzo does not feel the same).

Halloween 2 81’ is the best sequel of the bunch hands down. I’m quite surprised it’s not held in higher esteem, especially given the caliber of your average any genre sequel and average slasher movie. Carries off the same night directly where Halloween 78’ ends and hits the ground running. Creative enough, above average storyline, creepy and suspenseful setting, quality murders, and it builds on the Michael Myers and Laurie Strode mythos well, even with the controversial sister twister. Yes, it is obviously a bit derivative as almost all sequels are and Michael’s primeval-ness is toned down a bit, and of course it’s not the same “style stalker” the original itself was.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch 82’, aka The Michael Myers-less Halloween, is not even a slasher film and probably shouldn’t even be included in this franchise and likely never should have been given the titling because of its film material. That aside, this is one of the off the beaten path risk taker Halloweens, and its results are overall bad, in a mostly unentertaining way. It’s too silly and absurd as it tries to create a discussion on child consumerism with some supernatural/sci-fi elements.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers 88’ is the best Halloween film Jamie Lee Curtis was not cast in. Its storyline, spirit, and events are a one-off of the original film(s), having Michael hunt down his niece Jamie Lloyd, Laurie Strode’s daughter, instead of Laurie Strode. It has solid kills, stalking/tension/suspense, cops/townspeople hi-jinks, and our best acting and most powerful/memorable actor not named Curtis or Pleasance (or “the shape” arguably) in Danielle Harris the child. Not to mention a very shocking ending that is the most horrific and memorable in the franchise.

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers 89’ is a direct continuation of 4 and further develops its story elements/main protagonist as well. Very similar to 4, albeit a bit more pedestrian and takes liberties/risks with the story that are a bit odd, a couple even farcical but subtle, including a bad ending. Of note, in this one we find out Michael’s frequent use and secret joy of driving cars.

Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers 95’ is another risk taker, and does so in many bad ways. Continuing on its poor choice ending for 5, it tries to add to the Myers mythos with explanations of Druid cults, curses, an evil baby, an “evil boy”, a conspiracy/conspiracal group, and a man in black. Tommy Doyle as a poorly written protagonist with an oddly contrived “Kara Strode” just throws more fuel on this chaotic fire. Last but not least, an inconclusive ending is used to seal the deal.

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later 98’ is the best sequel after 2 (81’) thanks to the return of Curtis alongside a direct continuation from said movie and aftermath of it all 20years later. Dealing with “witness protection” Laurie Strode and her functional but trauma-induced/alocholic existence as it follows on the main storyline(s) once more with great success and brings the most powerful character in the franchise back fully fleshed out form. Tension, pacing, and thrills are effectively elevated also in the franchise with this film. Not to mention, an excellent ending exists here too.

Halloween: Resurrection 02’ is what I’d call the so bad it’s good guilty pleasure of the franchise for me. It starts off with another heightened showdown between Laurie Strode and Michael Myers, but don’t be fooled, this is not that type of movie. It feels like a parody and campy fan service(“a group of college kids spend a night exploring Michael's childhood home”), and is the first Halloween that tries to blatantly be funny and playful throughout the whole movie. Tonally, this is not a Halloween movie, but its results were laughable and fun for me. The dialogue is often comical and sometimes even surprisingly poignant. Why not even throw in some Kung Fu moves against “Mikey” Myers for good measure? :)

Rob Zombie’s Halloween 07’ I personally feel is a disservice to the spirit of and franchise of Halloween. Part unnecessary and unimaginative prequel, part dissociative representation of the original material, and altogether overlong. I’ve heard some call this “Zombie’s interpretation of the material”, but honestly it just feels like a cash grab from utilizing the Halloween nametag and Zombie doing his signature things and style that he’s known for. The vast majority of the film feels like he has a complete disconnect and no grasp on the material he’s using or the purpose behind it. The film is full of counterproductive choices and terrible dialogue and set-ups. Zombie honestly should have changed the villain’s name and identity and called it something else, then again that film would have made a lot less money and gotten a lot less notoriety, but at least then I could say it’s a ~mediocre slasher film with style.

Zombie’s Halloween 2 09’ is similar to it’s predecessor, and the white horse idea and Laurie Strode becoming a sociopath choices are again in terrible disconnected taste, but at least it doesn’t completely destroy Myers original image and appeal like the 07’ film, and the brutality and darkness is amped up a bit, making the film a bit more forgiving…I guess.

Altogether, I should make note that Pleasance as Loomis is great in all the movies he’s in. His presence and dialogue help build and enliven the Myers character arc and Halloween films. Him and Curtis are the spoken word characters lifeblood of the franchise. I’d like to say that the Green trio has been a solid success thus far, with 18’ being a breath of fresh air for a new generation as a fun effective homage with it’s own identity, and even 21’, while imperfect, is an above average sequel that’s brutal and stakes raising with some decent good intentioned risk taking.

Ranking them in order of quality and/or entertainment value:

1=Halloween (1978)

2=Halloween 2 (1981)

3=Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)

4=Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

5=Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)

6=Halloween: Resurrection (2002)

7=Halloween 2 (2009)

8=Halloween 1 (2007)

9=Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)

10=Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982)

This @OzzyFan post needs to be here!!

• Love
Reactions: shadow1 and Osprey

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
With Halloween Ends coming out soon, I sat down and watched Halloween '78 last night. I'll try to pace myself better than I did with the Hellraiser series, because I blew through those too soon before this upcoming Friday's remake launches on Hulu, but I'm going to rewatch all of the Halloween movies in the next couple weeks (except the RZ movies, which I watched over the summer. I'll repost those).

With that being said, below is my long ass review of Halloween...

John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) - 10/10

15 years after murdering his sister, an escaped mental patient goes on a killing spree on Halloween Night 1978.

Jamie Lee Curtis stars as Laurie Strode, a high school teenager who's babysitting on Halloween night in Haddonfield, IL. Unbeknownst to Laurie, Michael Myers (Nick Castle) has escaped from a mental asylum with the intention of returning to his hometown of Haddonfield, and his doctor (Donald Pleasance) is hot on his trail.

Halloween is a difficult movie to review because everyone has seen it. It's on TV dozens of time every October, and has been for decades. It's so overplayed it's akin to background noise, where the viewer can throw it on and go about their business during the slower moments, but then watch the screen during some of the more famous scenes.

During what was probably my 100th re-watch, I went in with the mindset that I was watching this movie for the first time to try to analyze its strengths and weaknesses. But first, some background.

The movie came about when financier Moustapha Akkad wanted to make a horror film about a killer stalking babysitters. Irwin Yablans - the film's distributor - came to eventual writer-director John Carpenter and writer-producer Debra Hill with the idea, and also proposed setting the movie on Halloween night, as it was an underused holiday in film.

John Carpenter was paid $10,000 to direct, write, and score the movie. Originally intended to be a limited theatrical run exploitation film, Carpenter wanted to keep the plot extremely simple. To add some cachet to the film, he and Debra Hill tried to cast horror icons Peter Cushing and (later) Christopher Lee in the role of Dr. Loomis, but were turned down by both men. They then approached Donald Pleasance, who accepted. However, Pleasance told Carpenter he didn't like or understand the screenplay or his character, and had only accepted the role because his daughter was a fan of Assault on Precinct 13 (1976). Jamie Lee Curtis, an unknown TV actress, was cast as Laurie Strode after Carpenter's first choice fell through and Debra Hill discovered Curtis was the daughter of Psycho's Janet Lee.

Upon release, Halloween got off to a bumpy start in theaters, receiving terrible reviews and so-so box office results. However, word of mouth spread, and the movie became a smashing success, taking in over $70M worldwide against an estimated $300K budget. John Carpenter was approached while working on the TV movie Elvis (1979) about making another horror film. Unaware of Halloween's success, his response was "why?".

40+ years later, Halloween is considered a classic. What makes Halloween hold up after all these years? After this latest re-watch, I think it's a combination of several things done extremely well.

The cinematography by Dean Cundey (Jurassic Park, The Thing) is a huge stand out; the movie looks great. The acting, while not perfect, is above average for this type of movie; Donald Pleasance carries a lot of the load in this department, but Jamie Lee Curtis and some of the supporting cast are also solid. Even the font they use in the movie (ITC Serif Gothic Heavy) looks cool and unique.

Additionally, the film's story is simple and easy to digest. There are only a few characters and we know who these people are and what drives them. Furthermore, Carpenter's direction is great. We get a very good sense of the suburban town of Haddonfield, as well as a good understanding of the street the babysitters are housed in. The audience knows what's going on, and which character is where, at all times... except for the boogeyman, of course.

There's also Halloween's iconic soundtrack. Though the most famous piece of music is the main theme, "The Classroom", "The Haunted House", and "The Shape Stalks Laurie" are also classics. This film's score is almost as famous as the movie itself.

Finally, there's Michael Myers. The Shape (played mostly by Nick Castle) doesn't speak, wears an emotionless white mask, and carefully stalks his prey before striking. He's the boogeyman we all checked under our beds for when we were children.

Add all of these elements together, and you get a classic film. Though Halloween wasn't even close to the first slasher movie ever filmed, it is the one that launched the slasher craze of the 1980's, spawning countless movies trying to ride its success. Additionally, Halloween is largely responsible for the classic slasher formula, in which the wholesome female "final girl" character survives the movie (Carpenter has said many times that this wasn't intentional).

Halloween isn't a perfect movie. There's a stretch in the middle of the film where there is a long time between kills, and some viewers may find this part too slow. Though I'm personally okay with it, I can understand the criticism. Also, though I think the dialogue is overall strong, some of the side characters "totally" don't have the best lines. Though I'm pretty sure this was done for comedic effect, it obviously didn't land with everyone because it's a common criticism of this film.

Still, I'm giving this movie a 10. It's been a part of my consciousness ever since I was a kid who owned it on VHS, and I don't think there's much more Carpenter could've done to make this movie better or hold up as long as it has. Halloween is probably the most watched horror movie of all time, and people will be watching it long after I'm dead.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Furthermore, Carpenter's direction is great.

I love the enthusiasm, but you lost me there. Not only do I think his direction is mediocre (which I've already explained in my earlier comment), but I also think that it shows as particularly weak when put aside some earlier gialli (to which the slasher genre owes a lot) - Deep Red came out 3 years earlier, and Blood and Black Lace almost 15 years earlier. Most of all, even though I think Halloween has some very nice atmospheric moments that Clark's film might not match (and better music for sure), I just don't see what makes it stand out above Black Christmas, a darker and earlier slasher.

(Edit: Even though I think A Bay of Blood is a lesser film than both, it still needs to be part of the conversation too!)

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I love the enthusiasm, but you lost me there. Not only do I think his direction is mediocre (which I've already explained in my earlier comment), but I also think that it shows as particularly weak when put aside some earlier gialli (to which the slasher genre owes a lot) - Deep Red came out 3 years earlier, and Blood and Black Lace almost 15 years earlier. Most of all, even though I think Halloween has some very nice atmospheric moments that Clark's film might not match (and better music for sure), I just don't see what makes it stand out above Black Christmas, a darker and earlier slasher.

(Edit: Even though I think A Bay of Blood is a lesser film than both, it still needs to be part of the conversation too!)

I reread your post and you do make some good points. The biggest one is the Hardware store scene, which does seem to break continuity as far as him wearing the mask goes (unless they couldn't turn the alarm off for over an hour for some reason?).

The part with the car is weird, and can be chalked up to flub by Carpenter. When Loomis sees the car, the framing makes it seem like it's sitting a few feet away from him. But after he reacts, he has to run all the way down the block to confirm it's from Smith's Grove.

Still, those are nitpicks for me personally. I love many of the individual moments (that you also mentioned in your post; i.e. Michael emerging from the shadows), as well as the use of stedicam in several instances, including the use of POV shots. I know 6-year-old Michael is too tall...but even ignoring that scene, he uses POV in other instances, such as when Laurie explores the "haunted" house towards the end. He did a TV movie that came out after Halloween, but was filmed before, called "Someone's Watching Me", and I liked his use of POV in a scene towards the end of that one as well.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Halloween II (1981) - 7/10

Michael Myers continues his killing spree on Halloween Night 1978.

Halloween II takes place literal seconds after the ending of the original, with Michael Myers fleeing the Doyle House. Dr. Loomis (Donald Pleasance) regroups with the Sheriff's department to pursue Michael, while a wounded Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) is taken to Haddonfield Memorial Hospital. When Michael catches wind of Laurie's whereabouts, he once again sets his sights on her...

Coming out three years after the original, Halloween II was once again written by John Carpenter and Debra Hill. Carpenter has discussed the writing process of this film many times, and every version of the story he tells involves alcohol. Thinking there wasn't much story left and struggling with ideas, Carpenter made a decision which would forever alter the franchise: giving Michael Myers a motive (more on that later). However, he declined to return to the director's chair, being replaced by Rick Rosenthal (though Carpenter did direct a handful of scenes himself).

Halloween II ups the gore factor, big time. The originally Halloween film is very tame, and is often seen as a "gateway drug" to horror movies because of its relative lack of violence. In Halloween II, Dr. Loomis has blood on his fingers moments into the movie, informing the audience they're in for a more graphic experience. Michael dispatches his victims in a variety of ways here, with his most common weapon being a scalpel (my personal favorite weapon of his in the franchise).

Donald Pleasance does a good job again as Dr. Loomis, but Loomis is more over the top in this movie, and he'll only get crazier in later sequels. Jamie Lee Curtis doesn't have much to do in this one; Laurie sits most of the movie out until the climax. We also get a lot of new characters in the form of several hospital workers, as well as Deputy Gary Hunt (Hunter von Leer). I like von Leer's performance as the level headed deputy, and for the most part enjoy the hospital workers too.

However, this movie suffers greatly from the "idiot plot", which I think is its biggest weakness. Every character makes at least one blisteringly stupid decision in this film. One character forgets to reload their gun; two characters can't figure out how to work hand radios; one character suddenly loses their voice when they have the chance to scream for help; a security guard doesn't pay attention to the cameras; another character concusses themselves by standing and then slipping in a literal pool of blood. The most egregious moment is a car crash scene, and the events that lead up to it (note to characters: Michael Myers doesn't carry a trick-or-treat bag). I know slasher victims aren't well known for their intelligence, but the stupidity here is pretty rampant.

As for The Shape, Michael Myers is played by stuntman Dick Warlock this time. Overall Warlock is one of my favorite Michaels, but I don't think his performance is perfect. He's pretty slow in a lot of scenes, to the point of it being a detriment to his ability to kill someone. Director Rick Rosenthal shows us Michael a lot in this movie, which I think it somewhat of a negative. For example, there are a few instances in which we see Michael walking through the empty hospital halls, which I don't think work that well. It's scarier when we don't know where he is.

Still, I think Rosenthal overall did a decent job. The movie looks and feels close enough to the original, which is partially due to cinematographer Dean Cundey returning. John Carpenter returned to score Halloween II and his music is once again great. He covers most of his original score, but it has a more synthesized and even disco feel. The main theme during the opening credits somehow feels more menacing to me, and I also love the tracks "Laurie's Theme", "Laurie and Jimmy", and "Operation Room". This is also the first Halloween movie to use the song Mr. Sandman by the Chordettes (for some reason).

Halloween II's legacy in the franchise is the decision to make Laurie Strode the sister of Michael Myers. This gave Michael motive for decades to come, allowing future filmmakers to insert other familial characters to keep the plot line going. Personally I'm pretty neutral about this creative decision. I think I like it slightly better when she's not his sister (like in the Blumhouse trilogy), but regardless it's a well known part of horror history.

Overall, Halloween II is a slasher classic. It's a bit rougher around the edges than the original, but is an above average sequel with an extremely satisfying ending. It's fun to watch the first two Halloween movies back-to-back, especially on Halloween night.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Halloween II's legacy in the franchise is the decision to make Laurie Strode the sister of Michael Myers. This gave Michael motive for decades to come, allowing future filmmakers to insert other familial characters to keep the plot line going.
I'll say it again for the back rows... Better yet, I'll let Carpenter himself say it:

"Well, the brother reveal was caused by NBC," Carpenter detailed to ComicBook.com. "NBC purchased the rights to show Halloween [the original one] on network television. But our movie was too short for them. So we needed to add some time. I think we had to add, what was it, eight minutes or something like that, I don't remember. And there was nothing to add. The first movie was just what I wanted to make. I don't have anything to add. So I came up with this brother thing. It was awful, just awful. But, I did it."

• Love
Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) - 7/10

After a disturbing murder-suicide at his hospital, a doctor becomes entangled in a dark conspiracy.

Tom Atkins stars as Daniel Challis, a divorced womanizing doctor with an awesome mustache. After a hysterical patient gives him a dire warning and is later murdered, he teams up with the patient's daughter Ellie (Stacey Nelkin) to get to the bottom of what's going on. Their search leads them to the town of Santa Mira, where a man named Cochran (Dan O'Herlihy) runs a factory that produces extremely popular Halloween masks. But all is not as it seems...

Following Halloween II, producers John Carpenter and Debra Hill wanted to take the series in a different direction - a Michael Myers-less direction. They came up with the idea to turn Halloween into an anthology-style series, with each movie serving as a stand alone creepy story revolving around the titular holiday.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch was their first attempt at this. Tommy Lee Wallace, a production designer on Halloween - who even played Michael Myers during the famous closet season - wrote and directed, while Carpenter returned to score the movie.

The result was one of the most hated horror movies of all time.

For decades, Halloween III's reputation preceded itself. Most criticisms start and end with the fact that the film has nothing to do with the character of Michael Myers. However, some have claimed that the absence of Myers is only part of the problem, and that the movie is just objectively horrible. Is that actually true?

I think anyone who sits down and judges this film based on its own merits will find a cool horror movie with a lot going for it. Halloween III has a good atmosphere and really solid gore (which includes death of children). The acting is overall good, and we once again get Dean Cundey as cinematographer, giving Halloween III that classic Halloween look. John Carpenter gives us another great score, with my favorite themes being the Main Title, "Chariots of Pumpkins", and "Drive to Santa Mira". And who can forget that awesome Silver Shamrock jingle!?

There are also some blink-and-you'll-miss-them cameos from Nancy Kyes (Annie in Halloween) and Dick Warlock (Michael Myers himself in Halloween II); Jamie Lee Curtis voices a Curfew Announcer and Telephone Operator as well. Additionally, there is a moment I love in which the original 1978 Halloween is playing on a TV, and the theme called "The Haunted House" from the original soundtrack loudly plays. I think it's great because that piece of music works well with the particular events occurring at that time in this film.

Despite its good points, Halloween III is obviously no masterpiece. Though everything the protagonists are doing makes sense (for the most part), the same can't be said for the villains, whose motivations and explanation for those motivations makes absolutely zero sense. What was up with the spunky forensics woman? It seemed like they were building her character up, but her role was marginal in relation to her screen time. And does Tom Atkins have to have sex with every woman he meets, especially when they're 25 years his junior? (Don't answer that). Additionally, for all its atmosphere and gore, the movie isn't actually scary at all (though some viewers may find parts of it to be shocking).

Overall, Halloween III is style over substance. The movie makes sense for the most part, but the plot unravels if you put any thought into it. However, it still has a lot of pros, and is a very solid choice to watch on Halloween night due to its great atmosphere. I'm glad to see this movie currently has a 5.1 on IMDB. I can remember a time in which it was rated in the high 3's/low 4's, which is ridiculous. Fortunately, the film has gained a cult following over the past several years, and has rightfully shed its unearned negative reputation. I'm rating the film a 7; a 6.5, plus an extra half star for Tom Atkins' mustache.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) - 6/10

On the 10 year anniversary of his Halloween night massacre, Michael Myers returns to Haddonfield in search of his niece.

After the negative backlash of Halloween III's different series direction, Halloween 4 sees the return of both Michael Myers and Dr. Loomis (Donald Pleasance), with the former having escaped custody once again. And boy does the movie let you know it - aside from the title, the other characters mention Michael's name seemingly every 15 seconds.

Danielle Harris also stars as Jamie Lloyd, the daughter of Laurie Strode who's now living with a foster family after Laurie's off-screen death from a car accident. Her new sister Rachel (Ellie Cornell) takes her Trick-or-Treating on Halloween night, but Michael soon catches up to them.

Halloween 4 is a very safe movie, and extremely derivative of the original. Michael escapes captivity on a rainy night and heads to Haddonfield on Halloween? Check. Dr. Loomis travels hundreds of miles in pursuit, with everyone thinking he's crazy? Check. Michael kills a mechanic and steals a mask to assemble his iconic look? Check.

Originally, there was a script written which would've had Michael take a supernatural form, but Executive Producer Moustapha Akkad didn't like this idea; he wanted Myers in flesh and blood. This creative difference caused John Carpenter and Debra Hill to sell their stake in the franchise, which is a shame because Carpenter - at the height of his powers - was slated to direct Halloween 4.

Still, what we get is decent enough, but it's nothing new. There are some good scenes at the beginning of the movie with Donald Pleasance though. I particularly like the scene where he hitchhikes with the drunken Preist, whose "end of days" type rant is symbolic of Loomis's never ending mission to stop Michael. Most of the scenes with Jamie and Rachel are pretty average however, with a few moments of really awkward/wooden dialogue, and a fairly inconsequential dating subplot for Rachel.

Another thing I enjoy, though, is how the movie becomes Night of the Living Dead-esque towards the middle, with the characters boarding themselves in a house to brace for Michael's onslaught. Of course, people decide to stupidly leave the house, and the inevitable happens.

I've seen Halloween 4 many times, and I've always thought it had a certain... shall I say... "crap factor" to it. Michael (George P. Wilbur) looks absolutely terrible, wearing shoulder pads and what looks like a dollar store version of the famous mask (they should've kept him wrapped in bandages the entire movie, like he was at the beginning!). Due to a mistake on set, there's even a brief moment where the mask has pink skin and blonde hair. Additionally, there's a scene towards the end where Michael is shot several times, and it looks like he is doing some weird dance moves while chunks of wood fly towards the camera. It's hilarious! I even thought so as a kid.

This is the first film in the series without Carpenter doing an original score. Alan Howarth, a frequent Carpenter collaborator who worked on Halloween II & III, serves as Halloween 4's composer. The result is... meh? The soundtrack isn't terrible, but the film seems to use a slightly sped up version of the classic Halloween title theme constantly; they beat you to death with it, and there isn't a lot of variety. The film's cinematography is also a downgrade from previous entries, with Dean Cundey moving on to bigger and better things.

Halloween 4 does have some gore it in, but I have always thought it looked cheap and not frightening. The quality's not even close to some of the gore in the Friday the 13th series, or even Halloween II & III. Another negative is the film suffers from a few logic issues. Michael could've easily taken out Jamie and Rachel several times towards the beginning of the movie, but doesn't because there are other people are around. Was Michael worried about a couple drug store employees? He's Michael Freakin' Myers! Instead, the horror icon launches an all out assault on the town of Haddonfield at night time, cutting power and phone lines to the town. Sure, it's a good horror movie set up, but he was literal feet from his main target. I know he likes to stalk his prey, but geez.

Can someone please explain to me what Ted Hollister was doing hiding in the bushes? I've been asking myself this for decades, and the only answers I can come up with are very dark.

Overall, Halloween 4 is an okay entry in the franchise. It's a popcorn movie through-and-through, but it scratches the Michael Myers itch for those who didn't like his exclusion from Halloween III. It also has a slightly iconic ending that could've opened new doors for the series. Ultimately I feel like it's the McDonald's of the franchise - it basically gives you what you want and will generally leave you satisfied, but it's nothing great.

(Side note, I can't believe Universal Studios did an exhibit for this film. Seeing the Loomis actor in a N-95 mask, with Donald Pleasance's "No, No, No!" dialogue playing is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life; the actual scene in the film is unintentionally funny enough as it is. Spoilers for Halloween 4, by the way.)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'll say it again for the back rows... Better yet, I'll let Carpenter himself say it:

"Well, the brother reveal was caused by NBC," Carpenter detailed to ComicBook.com. "NBC purchased the rights to show Halloween [the original one] on network television. But our movie was too short for them. So we needed to add some time. I think we had to add, what was it, eight minutes or something like that, I don't remember. And there was nothing to add. The first movie was just what I wanted to make. I don't have anything to add. So I came up with this brother thing. It was awful, just awful. But, I did it."
He can try to frame it like that all he wants…it doesn’t change that this doesn’t make any sense.

Carpenter filmed the extra scenes for Halloween quickly using the crew while Halloween II was in production. The production of the script he’d already written that made Michael Laurie’s brother. And the new scene for the original amounted to a very brief scene where Michael had written the word sister on the door of his room at the institution he escaped.

To recap…

1. He wrote the sister thing well prior to shooting new scenes.

2. NBC wanted new scenes, yes, but they didn’t tell him to make them siblings.

3. Just like every other scene shot for the tv version of the movie…he could have made it about anything else

4. The TV version debuted the night Halloween II came out. The new material wasn’t even seen before the sequel came out, let alone was made.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
He can try to frame it like that all he wants…it doesn’t change that this doesn’t make any sense.

Carpenter filmed the extra scenes for Halloween quickly using the crew while Halloween II was in production. The production of the script he’d already written that made Michael Laurie’s brother. And the new scene for the original amounted to a very brief scene where Michael had written the word sister on the door of his room at the institution he escaped.

To recap…

1. He wrote the sister thing well prior to shooting new scenes.

2. NBC wanted new scenes, yes, but they didn’t tell him to make them siblings.

3. Just like every other scene shot for the tv version of the movie…he could have made it about anything else

4. The TV version debuted the night Halloween II came out. The new material wasn’t even seen before the sequel came out, let alone was made.
Point 2, of course, but otherwise what you're saying is that you know the chronology of all this better than Carpenter himself?

Anyway, result is - when watching the movies - that "sister" appears before Halloween II. I don't even mind the twist, I don't think it's a valid reason to discredit the sequel, and most of all, I tend to prefer the Carpenter version, be it revisionism or not (it still is the most reliable source we have, unless you have something else!).

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I'll never understand the hate H20 gets. Honestly one of the better iterations if you can overlook the CGI mask scene.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Point 2, of course, but otherwise what you're saying is that you know the chronology of all this better than Carpenter himself?

Anyway, result is - when watching the movies - that "sister" appears before Halloween II. I don't even mind the twist, I don't think it's a valid reason to discredit the sequel, and most of all, I tend to prefer the Carpenter version, be it revisionism or not (it still is the most reliable source we have, unless you have something else!).
Carpenter's memory may not be accurate on every point. It was over 40 years ago. He suggested that there was no unused footage from the original, but reels of it were found in 2006. He also thought that he added 8 extra minutes at the request of NBC, but actually added 12. He also once said that the sibling twist was conceived "purely as a function of having decided to become involved in the sequel to the movie where I didn't think there was really much of a story left." That contradicts his statement that it was because of NBC. My guess is that he came up with the idea for the sequel, but it was around the same time that NBC was badgering him about adding scenes to the original, so it's easy to get them mixed up.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Carpenter's memory may not be accurate on every point. It was over 40 years ago. He suggested that there was no unused footage from the original, but reels of it were found in 2006. He also thought that he added 8 extra minutes at the request of NBC, but actually added 12. He also once said that the sibling twist was conceived "purely as a function of having decided to become involved in the sequel to the movie where I didn't think there was really much of a story left." That contradicts his statement that it was because of NBC. My guess is that he came up with the idea for the sequel, but it was around the same time that NBC was badgering him about adding scenes to the original, so it's easy to get them mixed up.
You might be right, and Ace might be too (that he's somehow covering his ass for a decision he now hates), but it's not really contradicting his other statement. I read it as since he was involved in the sequel and had nowhere to go storywise, he added the sister twist (to the TV movie first, for all we know, these things being so close).

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You might be right, and Ace might be too (that he's somehow covering his ass for a decision he now hates), but it's not really contradicting his other statement. I read it as since he was involved in the sequel and had nowhere to go storywise, he added the sister twist (to the TV movie first, for all we know, these things being so close).
I think that Ace had a point in that he probably added it to the sequel first, since he added it to the original while the sequel was being filmed. Also, he shot a lot of new scenes for the original that had nothing to do with the twist. He didn't need to include the shot of "sister" written on the wall in order to comply with NBC's request. Including it, anyways, feels more like "well, I've already decided to put the twist in the sequel, so I might as well add a reference to the original so that it looks like it was the plan all along."

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad