The Habs Lounge Thread XI: Why is it taking so long edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No, I'm in junior college. I'm just getting three different degrees. This is what I have left:

Junior college - culinary arts (1 1/2 years remaining).

University - physics/astronomy (4 years)

University - astrophysics (2-year master's program)

Jesus Peace an astrophysicist...
Is that how to spell it? :amazed:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
May I ask what area is your specialization? Theoretical work?

Ha! I wouldn't refer to it in such grandiose terms, given I'm talking about undergrad study that exceeded requirements for a minor but wouldn't (and didn't) even qualify as a major (I was in a similar situation with my other minor, Geography/Geoscience). But I suppose I'd say spectroscopic methods/analysis - more specifically of gaseous nebulae, later on (5th year, lol). My major was actually chemistry, and I was a lab instructor in many 1st and 2nd year chem and physics labs in 3rd/4th/5th year, so the math and science behind spectroscopy was pretty familiar by the time I started doing that research. Doppler effect/red shift positional stuff early on, absorption spectrum of chemistry in gas clouds stuff later on. Jesus, that was, like, half my life ago, lol. And pretty basic stuff compared to what some of these other cats will probably get up to.

Ursus the White

Formerly Hogfather
Mar 27, 2014
Alberta
Very interesting stuff. The chemistry would be beyond me. I do remember most of what you have mentioned though. Now I would be content to just get out and star gaze, but time and health ill afford that these days.

BlackMarvel

May 17, 2006
Dollard des ormeaux
Do either of you gents (Black Marvel and Kachino) belong to the IEEE?

Growing up, I remember our household having the first of any kind of computer amongst everyone we knew. An IMSAI 8080 I believe it was.

Ok, old trig terms.....

sine - what you do on a piece of paper, or cheque

cosine - when two of you have to sign that cheque

tan - what she does in the summer sun, at an expensive resort, after she cashed the aforementioned cheque

The square root beer of a hippopotamus is equal to the sum of an NHL bribe.

:)

No not an IEEE member yet, I'm still working on my oiq title (I'll be taking that exam in the coming months) .

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Made a bet with one of my friends on the Anaheim/Calgary series. I bet $20 on Anaheim winning, he bet on Calgary.

I'm winning $20, right?

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Ha! I wouldn't refer to it in such grandiose terms, given I'm talking about undergrad study that exceeded requirements for a minor but wouldn't (and didn't) even qualify as a major (I was in a similar situation with my other minor, Geography/Geoscience). But I suppose I'd say spectroscopic methods/analysis - more specifically of gaseous nebulae, later on (5th year, lol). My major was actually chemistry, and I was a lab instructor in many 1st and 2nd year chem and physics labs in 3rd/4th/5th year, so the math and science behind spectroscopy was pretty familiar by the time I started doing that research. Doppler effect/red shift positional stuff early on, absorption spectrum of chemistry in gas clouds stuff later on. Jesus, that was, like, half my life ago, lol. And pretty basic stuff compared to what some of these other cats will probably get up to.

Ah yes... those great gas nebulae, always spawning new systems of stars. Must be a heck of a night sky sight compared to our boring suburban spot in the milky way.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Tell the teacher the dog ate the paper and if that doesn't work bite the teacher in anger.

That's the only advice I am capable of giving.

Last paper I wrote was due on a Wednesday as well. I showed up to class having written about half a page and it was supposed to be 4-10 pages. I said my printer didn't work and asked if I could email a copy and she said that was fine as long as I submitted it before midnight.

I then went home and wrote 6 more pages and submitted it at around 22:30. I ended up getting a B+ on the paper :laugh:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Last paper I wrote was due on a Wednesday as well. I showed up to class having written about half a page and it was supposed to be 4-10 pages. I said my printer didn't work and asked if I could email a copy and she said that was fine as long as I submitted it before midnight.

I then went home and wrote 6 more pages and submitted it at around 22:30. I ended up getting a B+ on the paper :laugh:

Well then you have a lenient teacher. Maybe try to squeak in some other story.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Well then you have a lenient teacher. Maybe try to squeak in some other story.

Worst case scenario she would have declared it a day late and would have only given me 97% of the course credit for the paper. She takes off 3% per day. Some guy turned his in 26 days late last week (i.e. an idiot). It was so late and the paper was so bad he ended up getting an adjusted grade of 0% on it. :laugh:

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
No Food Thread :shakehead

:sarcasm:

Mental (and physical) preparation before Game 6:

CDqEwMTUMAALaaB.jpg:large

Last edited:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Worst case scenario she would have declared it a day late and would have only given me 97% of the course credit for the paper. She takes off 3% per day. Some guy turned his in 26 days late last week (i.e. an idiot). It was so late and the paper was so bad he ended up getting an adjusted grade of 0% on it. :laugh:

Education isn't cut out for everyone.

68*

And my week gets even worse. ****ed up my ankle. It's swolen like a grapefruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad