The Habs in a few years

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
More teams have failed "tanking" than have succeeded. It's a lot harder to do with the cap because you have to spend to the cap floor. Plus GM's don't have 5-7 years to "tank" and still have a job. The ones that have suceeded in the past were not really "tanking" like Pittsburgh or Chicago, both had ownership/building/revenue issues that caused the drop in standings. It wasn't a GM dumping all his best players to draft early and start a "5 year plan".

It isn't easy to win a Cup but tanking is a "better" plan then praying and hoping some mid round picks pan out.

If Bergevin came out and said his goals were to have home-ice advantage to start the playoffs and build a balanced team I could live with that instead of what he says.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think we have the foundation for a cup contender in a few years, but without a superstar player up front, I think we'll be just that: contenders.

When we're at the point though, I believe the general manager, whether it's Bergevin or someone else will make the trade for that superstar forward when they deem we're ready to make a solid run for the cup and not be out of place.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Now some of you might not like the way the team is heading, the way Bergevin runs our beloved franchise, but some points i think can not be contested.
He IS building this team the same way he helped do in Chicago. Both have a young solid and skilled core that they build around. Granted, our most skilled players might not compare to the ones Chicago have, but the point stands.
Toews-Kane-Seabrook-Keith-Crawford-Sharp
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher-Tinordi-Price-Subban-Pacioretty...
Both have been conservative when it comes to splashing the cash in the offseason.
Both put a huge emphasis on skill, speed and character.
And most importantly, both are taking their time with their goalies and younger players.
Now it took them some time to develop that core, but once they were through, it made them a contending team for years, as we can see now.
My question is, considering the young core that Bergevin is building around, and the prospects we have coming up, what do you think our full line-up will be once our core is done developping and we've enterend that ''consistent contending team'' status ?

In what world was Chicago conservative when it comes to splashing the cash in the offseason?

They gave Brian Campbell a long term 7+ million deal, they gave Huet a medium term 5+ million deal, and they gave Hossa a 14 year deal. They also weren't afraid of skipping the bridge deal and giving their star players big longterm deals after their ELC.

Also they didn't wait for their core to be developed, they won a cup a few years after being in the basement precisely because they didn't wait for their stars to be developed before going out and complementing those stars with quality veterans.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
In 3 years Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller and Pacioretty will still be top 6 forwards, McCarron and Bournival will be able to play in the top nine. Holland, Leblanc, Hudon, de la Rose, Collberg, Thomas and Lehkonen will all be close to be NHL ready. That's a lot of assets to upgrade the team.

The main task for Bergevin is to find a number 2 d-man to replace Markov and maybe start looking for an upgrade on Price or find a solid number 2 who can play 25 to 30 solid game per year. If Bergevin is able to replace Markov and continue to draft well the team should be a serious Stanley cup contender in 3 to 5 year.

dreamingofdrouin*

Tank, win cup because you are Habs, with a great organization, and a great tradition to attract really good FA when the time comes, and tons of cash.

Other wise good post. Not.:shakehead Honestly.

All of you will see. Ending high last year is going to kill us, we needed another top 3 pick.

Mcarron. FFS. :shakehead Wow.

Yeah, I'm raining on your parade because I've seen the Habs win 12 cups, in a 6-24 team league. We are **** compared to all of those teams. DD? FFS...:shakehead

I am going to start another tank thread here if Habs are out in round 1 next year, or don't make PO. I promise.

I am not seeing the moves I want to see. I see nothing interesting. Bergy is too young, not educated, and not aggressive enough. He has EVERY ****ing advantage.

I give him this year. After that, no contention, good bye.

It's not going to be interesting....it's not going to be quick. If gainey was still our GM we'd probabley have lecavalier signed until he's 40, have given up 2 good picks and more for clowe and have a coach not named michel therrien who has and is doing an outstanding job with this team.
And I wanted lecavalier....but in hindsight I know bergevin's patience served us best....i wanted clowe...but bergevins patience served us best, and I didn't ever think that michel therrien would return to this team nor did I want him to return...but guess what...marc bergevin called him up and brought him in and we went from 5th to 1st in the NE.

He brought in Brandon Prust.
He got patches signed for 6 years at a very good caphit of 4.5 mill.
He's reconstructed the entire coahing staf and front office with competent people and recognized which components ain't broke and didn;t fix them (Trevor timmins)
He got chicago's goalie coach for Price.
He snagged fucale, which is going to give us a very good barganing chip in a few years.
He was nominated for GM of the year

He's got 2 drafts under his belt and the first one happened just one year ago and your already judging him?

FOR........****......SAKES......:shakehead

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

All of you will see. Ending high last year is going to kill us, we needed another top 3 pick.

Yeah, I'm raining on your parade because I've seen the Habs win 12 cups, in a 6-24 team league. We are **** compared to all of those teams. DD? FFS...:shakehead

I am going to start another tank thread here if Habs are out in round 1 next year, or don't make PO. I promise.

I am not seeing the moves I want to see. I see nothing interesting. Bergy is too young, not educated, and not aggressive enough. He has EVERY ****ing advantage.

You figure someone who has seen the Habs win 12 cups would speak a little more mature and not use so many smilies. Especially the phrase, NOT! Who says that still? Especially if you are say, I dunno, over 15. Oh, some people do I guess.

You got one and a half seasons to prove yourself Bergevin! Get on this mofo!

:shakehead :yo: :joker:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-XXXX
XXXX-Eller-Gallagher
( x )-( x )-( x ) <--- McCarron, DeLaRose, Leblanc, Bournival etc.

Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Gorges/Emelin/XXXX

We might get lucky and have one of our forward prospects develop into a top-6 player but.... I'm not so confident they will (McCarron, Lehkonen, Collberg, Bozon, Hudon). I think it's fairly reasonable that Tinordi-Beaulieu will develop into top-4 defenceman or we'll stick with Emelin-Diaz. If we aren't confident, Simon Despres is the perfect option for a #2.

I think we need to trade/draft a top line skill winger and we'll be set. I'm confident we'll have the role players (McCarron, DLR, Leblanc, Bournival) to play in the middle six but I'm not sure we have the high-end skill to put us over the top. Yakupov would be ideal to pair with Galchenyuk but that's unlikely to happen.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I believe the core that is maturing together right now is one of the best this team has had.

I was very positive in the Higgins/Chipchura/Komisarek/Hossa days but most of these players really shat the bed. We had Halak, Markov, Plekanec, Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder, the Kostitsyns, Hamrlik, a very solid team that amounted to not much in the end.

The difference I see now is we don't just have a solid core, but a superstar core with Galchenyuk, Subban and Price. I don't if some of you realize but at each position we have a young superstar that can rivalize with Edmonton, Pittsburgh and Chicago.

What we need to do now is surround those players with solid players (which we're doing well right now I think). Then find a coach who will lead us to the promised land (Therrien?). Last thing to do is to have luck and not run into injuries, and to get hot when it's time.

The core Bergevin is building is quite something. We have a ton of depth. Eller, Gallagher, Plekanec, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pacioretty should all be here for a long time alongside the big three. Don't see many team with such depth all around their lineup.

We've added a ton of solid prospects lately as well from McCaron to Fucale and many others. I am very positive towards the future of this team.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
No one can predict, especially after surprises like Gallagher and Bournival type players, but I see Montreal building a Stanley Cup contender in a few years based around the following:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Hudon - Eller - Collberg/Thomas
Reway - Bournival - McCarron
Crisp - Dumont - Fournier

Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Beaulieu
Thrower - Ellis
Pateryn

Price
Fucale

yeahhhhh....no.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
In 3 years...

Pacioretty-Galchy-Gally
UFA or trade-Eller-Collberg or Lehkonen
Hudon-Plecky-McCarron
Prust-Bournival-UFA or Trade

Tinordi-Subban
Emelin-Beaulieu
Pateryn-Dietz-Nygren-Thrower

Price
Tokarski?

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Bergevin is good but not a genious and He will be the GM for 3 years to come. Vincent Damphousse is gonna be the GM in 5 years
Just curious.
What did Damphousse do since 2004.

Coaching, Scouting, GM, Assistant GM, minor leagues, AHL, NHL?

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Tank, win cup because you are Habs, with a great organization, and a great tradition to attract really good FA when the time comes, and tons of cash.

Couldn't agree more BSL I have been around for every cup since 69 and the way this team is going is terrible.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Just curious.
What did Damphousse do since 2004.

Coaching, Scouting, GM, Assistant GM, minor leagues, AHL, NHL?

Well he's been working with the best hockey minds there is. I'm sure that with all the time he spent hanging around Benoit Brunet and Gaston Therrien, hockey has no more secret for him.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Max Pacioretty - Alex Galchenyuk - XXX/Sébastian Collberg
XXX/Arturri Lekhonen - Lars Eller - Brendan Gallagher
Charles Hudon - Jacob De La Rose - Michael McCarron
Brandon Prust - Michael Bournival - XXX

XXX - PK Subban
Jarred Tinordi - XXX/Darren Dietz
Nathan Beaulieu - Greg Pateryn

Carey Price
Zach Fucale

I think Dietz, Lekhonen and Collberg have the potential to be in those spots but have question marks around them. Collberg didnt really impress me but definetely has the potential to play there. Lekhonen has injury issues and is small while Dietz is very solid but i dont know if I should expect much.

Someone like Dal Colle, Ritchie, Virtanen, Mistele, Clarke or Macinnis would really solidify our wing depth. Or a D-man like McKeown, Fleury or Glover.:nod:

chuck1984

Jan 13, 2012
Of course it's cherry picking and my point is Bergevin chooses not to cherry pick. It is the choice that Bergevin made, for better or worse. Other teams do it, I don't see why it's so bad if we do it, too.

To answer you're question, I'll still cheer for Montreal.

Please, dont cheer for Montreal. We dont need ''fans'' like you.

chuck1984

Jan 13, 2012
WOW! cherry picking aren't we?

Why not put Galchenyuk against Barkov? why Desharnais?
then you choose Christian Thomas against Stamkos are you serious?
and the most laughable Seth Jones againt Dietz

so...

a second pick against an undrafted
a proven first overall against an unproven 2 round pick
and to finish it off a fourth pick overall against a fifth round pick

Now the teams
Panthers
Lightning
Nashville

Do you think in 2-3 year they'll be better than Montreal?

Hahah thanks man! Hit that nail on the head! This guy is mad Habs didnt get Crosby, Ovy, Malkin, Tavares & Stamkos. ''BUT I WANT ALL THE GOOD PLAYERS AND IF MY GM DOESNT GET THEM HE SUCKS :cry: ''

:help:

chuck1984

Jan 13, 2012

I'll hold the door for you open to gtfo! :handclap::laugh:

chuck1984

Jan 13, 2012
You figure someone who has seen the Habs win 12 cups would speak a little more mature and not use so many smilies. Especially the phrase, NOT! Who says that still? Especially if you are say, I dunno, over 15. Oh, some people do I guess.

You got one and a half seasons to prove yourself Bergevin! Get on this mofo!

:shakehead :yo: :joker:

Hahaha thanks for the laugh buddy! I agree 10000% :handclap:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Pacioretty-Briere-McCarron
Hudon-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Crisp-Eller-Bournival
Fournier-White-Fucale

great crop of truculent forwards
animations_icantwait.gif

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
The Habs didn't win the Cup last year, didn't get the 3 best players at the draft and didn't trade for 3 superstars since Bergevin has been there and it's already been almost 1½ years since he got hired. Bergevin is a failure and should be fired! Everybody should be fired!!!

Incredibly, this is what some posters are basically saying. :help:

Matteus

May 11, 2009
Bergevin will be here in three years.
The Habs will be solid+ in three years and for the foreseeable future after that.

Questionable:
  • The Deharnais contract

The Moen contract

The Drewiski contract

The only one that can come back and bite him where it hurts is the DD contract.

Overall MB has been solid, especially in not doing any costly move under pressure that could hurt in the long term, at the trade deadline or on the UFA market.

In the Montreal fishbowl, that's an achievement.

My 2-cent.

P.S. MT won't get to the end of his contract IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad