The Habs in a few years

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Now some of you might not like the way the team is heading, the way Bergevin runs our beloved franchise, but some points i think can not be contested.
He IS building this team the same way he helped do in Chicago. Both have a young solid and skilled core that they build around. Granted, our most skilled players might not compare to the ones Chicago have, but the point stands.
Toews-Kane-Seabrook-Keith-Crawford-Sharp
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher-Tinordi-Price-Subban-Pacioretty...
Both have been conservative when it comes to splashing the cash in the offseason.
Both put a huge emphasis on skill, speed and character.
And most importantly, both are taking their time with their goalies and younger players.
Now it took them some time to develop that core, but once they were through, it made them a contending team for years, as we can see now.
My question is, considering the young core that Bergevin is building around, and the prospects we have coming up, what do you think our full line-up will be once our core is done developping and we've enterend that ''consistent contending team'' status ?

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I think what the Winnipeg Jets have gone through is a better comparison. In a couple of years, fire Dudley and Bergevin, scale back the team's cap budget and let the team struggle for 3 years until we get enough high end talent to be a top tier talent team.

I don't see Bergevin's strategy working at all because I don't see us being a better team in a couple of years then we are now, maybe better in some ways but not as good in others. My prediction is he gets his butt fired in 2 or 3 years and rightfully so.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Galchenyuk is Bergevins only contribution to that list of players, Gainey and Gauthier got the other guys, just sayin.

Galchenyuk was the BPA when we drafted, I wouldn't even call that a Bergevin contribution. Not drafting Reinhart or Rielly is something I'd give him credit for.

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Bergevin is good but not a genious and He will be the GM for 3 years to come. Vincent Damphousse is gonna be the GM in 5 years

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Galchenyuk was the BPA when we drafted, I wouldn't even call that a Bergevin contribution. Not drafting Reinhart or Rielly is something I'd give him credit for.

You'd make a great revisionist historian. No way in hell was Galchenyuk considered BPA for the 3rd spot. Go back and check the final draft lists.

Zathronas

Aug 10, 2012
Montreal
I think what the Winnipeg Jets have gone through is a better comparison. In a couple of years, fire Dudley and Bergevin, scale back the team's cap budget and let the team struggle for 3 years until we get enough high end talent to be a top tier talent team.

I don't see Bergevin's strategy working at all because I don't see us being a better team in a couple of years then we are now, maybe better in some ways but not as good in others. My prediction is he gets his butt fired in 2 or 3 years and rightfully so.

Bergevin is good but not a genious and He will be the GM for 3 years to come. Vincent Damphousse is gonna be the GM in 5 years

Actually, Timmins got all of them. Except for Eller.

THE FORUM has spoken! Bergevin is an atrocious GM :laugh:

In actuality it's difficult to predict our lineup as in 2-3 years we'll have an abundance of prospect and we'll trade some to plug some holes we'll have then. I will say that Subban,Patch, Galchenyuk, Eller, Tinordi will be there. The rest? I don't know.

As for Bergevin's work, as i said in other post. Those who bash him can't see farther than their nose. I will say it's WAY too early to tell. Especially if you talk of the product on the ice, which is ultimately how we will judge him.

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
No one can predict, especially after surprises like Gallagher and Bournival type players, but I see Montreal building a Stanley Cup contender in a few years based around the following:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Hudon - Eller - Collberg/Thomas
Reway - Bournival - McCarron
Crisp - Dumont - Fournier

Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Beaulieu
Thrower - Ellis
Pateryn

Price
Fucale

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
THE FORUM has spoken! Bergevin is an atrocious GM :laugh:

In actuality it's difficult to predict our lineup as in 2-3 years we'll have an abundance of prospect and we'll trade some to plug some holes we'll have then. I will say that Subban,Patch, Galchenyuk, Eller, Tinordi will be there. The rest? I don't know.

As for Bergevin's work, as i said in other post. Those who bash him can't see farther than their nose. I will say it's WAY too early to tell. Especially if you talk of the product on the ice, which is ultimately how we will judge him.

I'm going to go out on limb and in three years I predict that:

1) Barkov >>>>> Desharnais
2) Stamkos >>>>> Thomas
3) Seth Jones >>>>> Dietz

We may marginally be a top 10 team in the NHL 3 -5 years from now but I don't see how we are going to be one of the top teams in the NHL and contending for the Cup which is what Bergevin seems to be saying. I can see us being a better team then we are now but other teams are going to improve way more then us. Way more.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
No one can predict, especially after surprises like Gallagher and Bournival type players, but I see Montreal building a Stanley Cup contender in a few years based around the following:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Hudon - Eller - Collberg/Thomas
Reway - Bournival - McCarron
Crisp - Dumont - Fournier

Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Beaulieu
Thrower - Ellis
Pateryn

Price
Fucale

Hopefully, that line up will never see the day. There's no way you win a cup with that.

Zathronas

Aug 10, 2012
Montreal
I'm going to go out on limb and in three years I predict that:

1) Barkov >>>>> Desharnais
2) Stamkos >>>>> Thomas
3) Seth Jones >>>>> Dietz

We may marginally be a top 10 team in the NHL 3 -5 years from now but I don't see how we are going to be one of the top teams in the NHL and contending for the Cup which is what Bergevin seems to be saying. I can see us being a better team then we are now but other teams are going to improve way more then us. Way more.

WOW! cherry picking aren't we?

Why not put Galchenyuk against Barkov? why Desharnais?
then you choose Christian Thomas against Stamkos are you serious?
and the most laughable Seth Jones againt Dietz

so...

a second pick against an undrafted
a proven first overall against an unproven 2 round pick
and to finish it off a fourth pick overall against a fifth round pick

Now the teams
Panthers
Lightning
Nashville

Do you think in 2-3 year they'll be better than Montreal?

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
WOW! cherry picking aren't we?

Why not put Galchenyuk against Barkov? why Desharnais?
then you choose Christian Thomas against Stamkos are you serious?
and the most laughable Seth Jones againt Dietz

so...

a second pick against an undrafted
a proven first overall against an unproven 2 round pick
and to finish it off a fourth pick overall against a fifth round pick

Now the teams
Panthers
Lightning
Nashville

Do you think in 2-3 year they'll be better than Montreal?

Of course it's cherry picking and my point is Bergevin chooses not to cherry pick. It is the choice that Bergevin made, for better or worse. Other teams do it, I don't see why it's so bad if we do it, too.

To answer you're question, I'll still cheer for Montreal.

Zathronas

Aug 10, 2012
Montreal
Of course it's cherry picking and my point is Bergevin chooses not to cherry pick. It is the choice that Bergevin made, for better or worse. Other teams do it, I don't see why it's so bad if we do it, too.

To answer you're question, I'll still cheer for Montreal.

That's bull and you know it. You decide that fringe signing and trade resumes what he has done. You're even cherry picking his accomplishment. As i'm typing this I realize I shouldn't even do this with you. Your mind is made up on Bergevin because he hasn't done any major signings or trade IN HALF A SEASON.

I'm sorry but that's moronic. Why I've been replying to you is beyond me and this is the last one.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

**** sake. Let's all face it. Tank, draft superstars, win cup. Margins of skill are too slight other wise. Chicago tanked. Pitts tanked, a lot. LA and Boston had a combo of high picks and ****ing brilliant trades/FA at just the right time. But they had high picks.

I'm exhausted waiting for Habs to win another cup before I die. Bergy is not going to pull it off. He's way too young. He has no education. 30 teams. I like the guy but come on....

Tanking is the only way. Tanking for min 3 years, not one. The tank thread died down last year, but it will be back in 2 years when everyone is moaning about finishing 6th and losing in the second round.

Welcome to the new NHL. It's just taking some guys here a long ****ing time to get it.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Tank, draft superstars, win nothing because you are the Islanders.
Tank, draft superstars, win nothing because you are the Oilers.
Tank, draft superstars, win nothing because you are the Panthers.
Tank, draft superstars, win nothing because...

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Agreeed On all points. he is too young, and he is not getting the way the NHL works now, or ever. Sammy Pollock got the fact that you have to draft high in 1960 ****ing five. We have not had a GM get the concept since. :shakehead It's driving me nuts.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Tank, draft superstars, win nothing because you are the Islanders.
Tank, draft superstars, win nothing because you are the Oilers.
Tank, draft superstars, win nothing because you are the Panthers.
Tank, draft superstars, win nothing because...

Tank, win cup because you are Habs, with a great organization, and a great tradition to attract really good FA when the time comes, and tons of cash.

Other wise good post. Not.:shakehead Honestly.

All of you will see. Ending high last year is going to kill us, we needed another top 3 pick.

Mcarron. FFS. :shakehead Wow.

Yeah, I'm raining on your parade because I've seen the Habs win 12 cups, in a 6-24 team league. We are **** compared to all of those teams. DD? FFS...:shakehead

I am going to start another tank thread here if Habs are out in round 1 next year, or don't make PO. I promise.

I am not seeing the moves I want to see. I see nothing interesting. Bergy is too young, not educated, and not aggressive enough. He has EVERY ****ing advantage.

I give him this year. After that, no contention, good bye.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
**** sake. Let's all face it. Tank, draft superstars, win cup. Margins of skill are too slight other wise. Chicago tanked. Pitts tanked, a lot. LA and Boston had a combo of high picks and ****ing brilliant trades/FA at just the right time. But they had high picks.

I'm exhausted waiting for Habs to win another cup before I die. Bergy is not going to pull it off. He's way too young. He has no education. 30 teams. I like the guy but come on....

Tanking is the only way. Tanking for min 3 years, not one. The tank thread died down last year, but it will be back in 2 years when everyone is moaning about finishing 6th and losing in the second round.

Welcome to the new NHL. It's just taking some guys here a long ****ing time to get it.

More teams have failed "tanking" than have succeeded. It's a lot harder to do with the cap because you have to spend to the cap floor. Plus GM's don't have 5-7 years to "tank" and still have a job. The ones that have suceeded in the past were not really "tanking" like Pittsburgh or Chicago, both had ownership/building/revenue issues that caused the drop in standings. It wasn't a GM dumping all his best players to draft early and start a "5 year plan".

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

No, Vincent Damphousse wont be the GM in 3 years.

Actually yeah, I changed my mind. He might be, because all of our Gms have been **** since Sammy Pollock, so who gives a **** anyway.

Can you tell me why Vincent the genius makes a good GM? Tell me. Go ahead. Tell me.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Yeah, I'm raining on your parade because I've seen the Habs win 12 cups, in a 6-24 team league.

I have watched many teams win many Stanley Cups since the 60's but this isn't a grey hairs competition.

A dumb Habs fan in 1963 is still a dumb Habs fan in 2013.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

My question is, considering the young core that Bergevin is building around, and the prospects we have coming up, what do you think our full line-up will be once our core is done developping and we've enterend that ''consistent contending team'' status ?

I think we will have enough pieces to make a lot of trade in the next 3 years to improve the team, so I can't really give you any names for a future line-up.
But hopefully it'll look like this:

Veteran or Young gun-Galchenyuk-Superstar
Pacioretty-2-way center-Gallagher
Veteran-Young gun-Young Gun
Prust-4th liner-4th liner

No. 2 d-man-Subban
Tinordi-Offensive no. 3 d-man
Gorges-Young Gun

Price-Qualitie back-up

At this point, it's impossible to predict our 3rd line in 3 years so I basically put what I think would make the best 3rd line in term of player status.
I really want us to somehow find a way to get at leats 1 superstar to play with Galchenyuk, that would be lethal.
Hopefully we will find a way to stay under the cap.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Now some of you might not like the way the team is heading, the way Bergevin runs our beloved franchise, but some points i think can not be contested.
He IS building this team the same way he helped do in Chicago. Both have a young solid and skilled core that they build around. Granted, our most skilled players might not compare to the ones Chicago have, but the point stands.
Toews-Kane-Seabrook-Keith-Crawford-Sharp
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher-Tinordi-Price-Subban-Pacioretty...
Both have been conservative when it comes to splashing the cash in the offseason.
Both put a huge emphasis on skill, speed and character.
And most importantly, both are taking their time with their goalies and younger players.
Now it took them some time to develop that core, but once they were through, it made them a contending team for years, as we can see now.

You could some "space" between lines.

It's tough to read.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
Good regular season Fenwick Close and goal differential are good indicators of post-season success. Montreal is definitely headed in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad